Anyone been to Lyon; Recommendations

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Anyone been to Lyon; Recommendations

Post by KateR » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:21 pm

Looks like I might be going to Lyon in a couple of weeks, was wondering if anyone stayed there, City Centre and any thought on things to do, see.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Re: Anyone been to Lyon; Recommendations

Post by houseboy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:34 pm

Sorry to be of no use whatsoever with regard top your question but I have been there many years ago and things will have changed, but I remember it as being a beautiful city with a lot going on and definitely worth the visit. Go and enjoy.
This user liked this post: KateR

KateR

Post by KateR » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:42 pm

thanks, definitely somewhere new to me, been reading a few things so getting an idea but always better from people who have been there and done it.

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:04 pm

Spent a day/night there last month. Its quite a large city split between the modern centre which has loads going on in terms of food/drink/shopping etc. and the Old town which is more medieval but again loads of places to eat and drink. There's a cathedral that over looks the whole city which you can catch a tram up to and well worth a look. The centre and Old Town are walking distance apart so you can't go wrong. Great city, we loved it and could have done another day there really as there is quite a lot to take in. Enjoy.

ecc
Been Liked: 1435 times
Has Liked: 1284 times

Post by ecc » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:31 pm

Great city. I've been there a few times and love it. Fourvière is a must. It's Lyon's Montmartre. There is a basilica at the top of the hill. Superb views of the city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourvi%C3%A8re" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:59 pm

Spent quite a lot of time in Lyon in the past decade, but sadly not been there for 3 years.
One of my favourite cities.
The old city west of the Saone with its ancient Cathedral and fascinating traboules is a UNESCO World heritage site, and from there you can take the funicular up to Fouviere, which not only has the magnificent Basilica, but also has a well-preserved Roman Site / Museum and spectacular views.
The Presqu'ile ("nearly an island") is where the Saone meets the Rhone, and has several majestic squares. (The fountain in front of the Town Hall with its horses heads is unique).
You can also visit a museum on the site of what were the Nazi headquarters of Klaus Barbie, (the notorious butcher of Lyon) - if you are interested in that sort of thing.
Add to that some good modern shopping centres, a state of the art football stadium, and a large park in which there is a small-scale zoo, which you can visit daily free of charge.
There's a 2nd funicular up to the Croix Rouge hill at the north of the city, lots of very tasteful murals on the buildings, and river cruises.
Lyon is the gastronomic capital of France so you will find a lot of magnificent restaurants. These can be expensive, so don't use those in the popular or touristy areas, but explore the backstreets, and (of course) as everywhere in France if you eat at lunch rather than in the evening it will be about 50% cheaper if you have the formule and Plat du Jour. Lots of bars of course, including a good Irish Bar where they show Sky Sports on the west bank of the Saone.
If arriving at the airport, it's a long way from the city, but there is a direct tram service - The Rhone Express that takes you right into the centre. (Part Dieu). Very well signposted and easy to purchase tickets.
Enjoy!
These 2 users liked this post: ecc KateR

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8726 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:26 pm

I thought all their corner shops has closed!

Enjoy.

Indecisive
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Indecisive » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:11 pm

Fantastic city for food.

http://restaurant-cafedesfederations-lyon.com/menu.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is a great bouchon if you want rustic traditional fayre. Really tasty food and a bit of experience to dine there. Particularly worth a visit if you’re a fan of offal!

italianclaret88
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by italianclaret88 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Nice city..was there for Europa league final, the best place is the “vieux port”...if I remember well is the old town centre full of restaurants and pubs...only one advice, if Lyon plays home don’t go to the bulldog pub that is full of Lyon ultras, and they don’t look well strangers....

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:18 pm

Yep spent a few days there when Ireland was Playing France in the Euros 16 .
Nice city easy to get around , food was very good and like someone said above can be very hard on the pocket but also can eat for cheap .
A city i would go back to without doubt .

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:57 pm

thank you everyone, looking forward to it :)