Disney world Florida

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TopCat
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Disney world Florida

Post by TopCat » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:09 am

Any advice on going?
How long to go for?
Where to stay?
Who to book with?
When to go?
What to see, or not to see?
Going with grandkids who will be about 9.
Thanks

burnmark
Been Liked: 602 times
Has Liked: 477 times

Re: Disney world Florida

Post by burnmark » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:18 am

Looking at maybe going for the kids first time in 2020. My sister has just returned and she went for the Disney Dining Plan and stayed in resort and although a lot upfront (I’d say 10k+) for two weeks it included all the top restaurants for evening meal eg. $70 steaks included, plus lunch and breakfast.

There are lots of other cheaper options however. Last time we we went just as a couple we stayed on International Drive and booked our hotel on Sunshine Holidays. It was ridiculously cheap for a two week stay. It’s then a case of finding your own flights where again some bargains are to be had.

If you are a first timer I’d encourage you to do all the major parks including WDW, Universal and Sea World. Busch Gardens is a bit of a journey and may not suit the age of your grandkids unless they like a lot of the bigger rides. I’ve never been to Legoland there but my nephew enjoyed it a lot last month who is also nine.

Two weeks is a bare minimum but if you can extend to longer it’ll give you more rest days in between which are needed as full days at the theme parks can be tiring!

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:54 am

Yes
2 weeks
Stay in a disney hotel for free transport to parks
Went in june with virgin
Been 6 times
Unbelievable place

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:15 am

As above but I think taking a holiday let in Kissimmee is your best option - with a pool overlooking one of the lakes. There are some superb, quiet estates with lovely houses/villas to choose from. You have to do your own forward planning but that's part of the fun.
You have to hire a car but the advantage is that you are in charge of the days. You decide how early or late you want to be there and, if you use the local supermarkets, you can eat when you want and as cheaply as you want back at the house.
It will be boiling hot whenever you go and there's nothing better than getting back from a hard day in the park, grabbing a beer and getting in/lounging by your own pool.
Most places offer a games room and a powerful barby so you can't go wrong.
This user liked this post: icu81b4

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3591 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Post by jedi_master » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:17 am

Going for first time on 6th Oct for three weeks through Thomson (or Tui, whatever they’re called these days).

We’re staying onsite at Disney with a 21 day parks pass but also got tickets for Universal, Seaworld and Busch Gardens. For me, my wife and our daughter it’s come to £7500 for everything (which includes Disney Dining Plan so all of our food is included except when not at Disney). All seems very slick, was able to book our restaurants and Fastpasses (you get three a day staying at Disney, three rides where you get to skip the lines) well in advance and now just counting days down to the well earned break from work!

I thought considering it’s long haul, including all tickets and dining, for three weeks and three people that the price was pretty good to be honest. We went to Menorca last year for a fortnight and that was just under three grand, in comparison this seemed decently priced.

Edit - also that included tickets and transportation to Kennedy Space Centre on one of the days, something I’ve wanted to visit since I was about 5 years old!
Last edited by jedi_master on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:17 am

Disney is great- even for adults, stay for the show at the end. Was not keen on the food personally, although we didn’t eat at the top restaurant in the parks.

Get there for rope drop if possible, no queues until 10/11 until the lazy people arrive!

Busch Gardens is worth the travel if you have time, also a free coach available from international drive.

October was good for weather and the parks open at night for Halloween which they go all out for. Think they child friendly nights at Disney and Universal was good for adults.

Transport very easy without a car, free buses and trains. Many hire a car but remember you pay for parking per day at the parks every day, so 20dollars a day to add in if you’re not staying onsite.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3860 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:27 am

Firstly wait until the kids are old enought to go on the big rides to enjoy everything the parks can offer.
Pick off season for the crowds if you can. We went in our Easter holidays and it was rainy season (about an hour a day)there but kept the queues down massively to what they can be.
Buy all fast track passes online before you go. You will need them.
3 weeks if you can as it's exhausting trying to cram everything in.
Make sure you go Bush gardens. Many miss it out as an hours drive away.
They will offer you a free car in the deal but insurance is about 600 dollars for two weeks.
This user liked this post: icu81b4

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:32 am

I went in 1992 when I was 11. We stayed in Kissimmee which wasn't far from Disney World.

At the time there was Gatorland - I always remember the signposts, "Trespassers will be eaten" :)
We still have a VHS of the holiday somewhere.

Busch Garden, Universal Studios, Epcot Center, Seaworld and all the others I can't remember. I had a photo taken with 2 of the Turles, which my Dad always thought was highly amusing with the smiles they had. I seem to remember we managed to cover a large part of Disney World in 2 weeks, with sometimes a 'day off' every other day.

bfcmartin
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 224 times

Post by bfcmartin » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:05 am

Brilliant place. We enjoyed Florida so much we bought a villa out there. We have been going 3 times a year for the past 10 years and we are taking early retirement so as from next year I'll be going over 6 months of the year every year. You will all love Disney and Universal but we always found it better staying in a home away from the parks so you can have a break from the parks and do other things. If Orlando have a game at home go and watch, the atmosphere is fantastic. No matter how long you go for it's never long enough. I will be back there a week on Wednesday for 3 weeks and can't wait to go even though I'm 55 lol. Enjoy!
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:22 pm

bfcmartin wrote:Brilliant place. We enjoyed Florida so much we bought a villa out there. We have been going 3 times a year for the past 10 years and we are taking early retirement so as from next year I'll be going over 6 months of the year every year. You will all love Disney and Universal but we always found it better staying in a home away from the parks so you can have a break from the parks and do other things. If Orlando have a game at home go and watch, the atmosphere is fantastic. No matter how long you go for it's never long enough. I will be back there a week on Wednesday for 3 weeks and can't wait to go even though I'm 55 lol. Enjoy!

We stayed in a villa in haines city as part of the brand new balmoral resort. Amazin place
This user liked this post: bfcmartin

bfcmartin

Post by bfcmartin » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:12 pm

Ours is at Solterra resort near Champions Gate it's a brilliant place with loads of on site facilities eg tennis courts lazy river etc. which are all free to use, but all the newer estates are much better than the older ones as most have a lot more things to do on site which gives the adults a chance to relax in between going to the parks while the children have loads to do to keep themselves occupied.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5268 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:19 pm

jedi_master wrote:three rides where you get to skip the lines

Edit - also that included tickets and transportation to Kennedy Space Centre on one of the days, something I’ve wanted to visit since I was about 5 years old!
Skip the lines - you've gone all American before even getting there.

Hope you have more luck at the Space Center (spot the American spelling :D) - we got there, got on the bus tour and the heavens opened. We couldn't see anything for water running down the windows and weren't allowed to get off because of the torrential rain.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:36 pm

There was an ET ride I remember where ET himself would say goodbye + your name at the end as you rode out.
This user liked this post: HiroshimaClaret

bfcfan1882
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by bfcfan1882 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:42 pm

We’re booked here for 2 weeks in May.

https://www.groveresortorlando.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First timers, so following the thread with interest.

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:51 pm

Go for a villa with games room and pool. I've stayed several time on the 192 towards Kissimmee at a gated community named Terra Verde. Handy for Walmart, selection of restaurants and theme parks.

Best time to go for me is October and November, if you are there for Halloween, the Yanks do this BIG time, all parks are set up for it and Universal do a special event on evenings......... AMAZING!

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:17 pm

Barry_Chuckle wrote:Go for a villa with games room and pool. I've stayed several time on the 192 towards Kissimmee at a gated community named Terra Verde. Handy for Walmart, selection of restaurants and theme parks.

Best time to go for me is October and November, if you are there for Halloween, the Yanks do this BIG time, all parks are set up for it and Universal do a special event on evenings......... AMAZING!
That's when I went. During Halloween. We stayed in a villa (reportedly haunted) and the guy who lived in the villa opposite would always have his pumpkin out at the end of his drive.

bfcmartin

Post by bfcmartin » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:46 pm

Yes they do Halloween brilliantly we've brought loads of Halloween stuff back here for friends and there all amazed at the things you can buy that adds to the fun for their own children. I brought an old fashioned telephone back last year that rings when someone walks past it and when you pick up the receiver there's some creepy blokes voice with spooky messages for whoever answers it.

Wilf Mbanga
Been Liked: 66 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Wilf Mbanga » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:35 pm

There’s a great book called the Brit Guide Orlando by Simon Veness tells you all you need. We used the 2011 version when we went and it was fabulous.

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:52 pm

If like me you are a penny pinching spendthrift, my advice on the best way to enjoy Disney is just accept that it's going to cost you a fortune, just pay the money and have fun. Otherwise you will just have a miserable time.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1402 times

Post by Aclaret » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:07 pm

I'm sure theres a claret on here who owned a place out there and rented it out.

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:18 pm

Oshkoshclaret wrote:If like me you are a penny pinching spendthrift, my advice on the best way to enjoy Disney is just accept that it's going to cost you a fortune, just pay the money and have fun. Otherwise you will just have a miserable time.
Agreed. We spend 3000 dollars for a family of 5 this summer. Mostly on food and eating out

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:02 am

Disney so dated now since first visit in 88 not that much has changed.
Universal have at least invested in some ground breaking rides .

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:19 am

I greatly prefer Universal myself and they did a superb job with the Harry Potter stuff. But I think Disney has seen this and is coming back hard with the new Star Wars area next year.

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:25 am

I hated it

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:27 am

Garnerssoap wrote:I hated it
Hated what?

gingerpele
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by gingerpele » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:28 am

Try this 5minutes2disney.com Windsor hills gated community,stopped there in 2007,its a chap from Chicago who owns three properties at Windsor Hills.
Can be booked on line.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:00 am

We did our trip for £1000pp staying in a decent motel accommodation like. Free car hire for 8 of us. All the parks with fast tracks etc..

Pirates on facebook are advertising return flights to Florida for 266 at the minute.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:12 am

Discovery Cove is an amazing day out, very expensive, but get there early and take advantage of the all inclusive pachage. If you’re into snorkelling or want a safe introduction the pools are great. Obviously you have time with the dolphins
https://discoverycove.com/orlando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Water park;
Wet n Wild was being replaced, didn’t get to their new park.

Disney are good for families but felt to safe/timid. Aquatica although old was in my opinion the best for rides.

We used Uber everywhere and it is miles cheaper than the taxis

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:15 am

I would love to take the family but there’s just so many other things that we could spend that kind of money on

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:18 am

It really is warm and tiring so if you could plan a theme park in the morning then waterpark in the afternoon you wouldn’t be far off.
There are free buses between all the Disney parks which are very handy.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:19 am

Looking at taking the kids there next May, don't fancy driving though so will be stopping somewhere with transport to the parks.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:28 am

The roads are clear around Florida until you approach the theme parks. As long as you download the latest florida maps for your sat nav you should be fine driving.
But most hotels have free shuttle buses to the parks.
May might be classed as out of season as the flights offered on my earlier post included that month.
You might get a really good deal on a Disney hotel like food package included.
The Villa option is not viabe if you don't want to drive.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:33 am

Discovery Cove/ Seaworld disgusts me , don’t understand how people getting pleasure from degrading animals
2018 these places should be closed down
These 2 users liked this post: HiroshimaClaret box_of_frogs

Cabbage
Been Liked: 166 times
Has Liked: 136 times

Post by Cabbage » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:06 am

Barry_Chuckle wrote:Go for a villa with games room and pool. I've stayed several time on the 192 towards Kissimmee at a gated community named Terra Verde. Handy for Walmart, selection of restaurants and theme parks.

We’ve stayed at Terra Verde, last year and the year before, each time at Easter. There again next year. Perfect location, near enough to come home from the parks in the afternoon when children are tired for a rest then go back again in the evening. We’ve also stayed in Davenport and Championsgate Gate. Still good but not close enough to the parks for my liking. “Are we there yet?” Villas are perfect, pool and games room are included http://www.uniquefloridaorlando.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:11 am

MRG wrote:I would love to take the family but there’s just so many other things that we could spend that kind of money on
It's never going to be cheap but you don't have to spend some of the eye-watering amounts being mentioned. That's for a specific kind of holiday - which may not even be to your taste - and paying a hefty premium for someone else to organise it.
These 2 users liked this post: MRG HiroshimaClaret

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:21 am

Anybody wans to organise it themselves or just wants to go to the US check Thomas Cook Airlines. Very cheap return tickets and great one way flights available. All direct from Manchester.
These 3 users liked this post: thatdberight pauliopaulio HiroshimaClaret

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:27 am

FactualFrank wrote:That's when I went. During Halloween. We stayed in a villa (reportedly haunted) and the guy who lived in the villa opposite would always have his pumpkin out at the end of his drive.
The dirty bugger.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:28 am

Dyched wrote:Anybody wans to organise it themselves or just wants to go to the US check Thomas Cook Airlines. Very cheap return tickets and great one way flights available. All direct from Manchester.
So right. Obviously some people want a package holiday somewhere warm with clubs for the kids etc (which is fine; it's very popular for a reason), but America offers an unrivalled mixture of different experiences and ease due to its size, variety of physical and human geography and (in principle!) shared language.
This user liked this post: Dyched

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:43 pm

If you want a lovely, spacious, well equipped villa with private pool only a short distance from Disney I can recommend this place.
https://www.vr360homes.com/Property.aspx?PropertyId=549

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:52 pm

Foulthrow wrote:The dirty bugger.
We should be a double act.
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

pauliopaulio
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by pauliopaulio » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:48 pm

As this thread shows there is no end of choice in the Orlando area. Whether you want a blow out or are on a budget with a quick google search you’ll find it.

As you mentioned you are going with kids the only advice I would give is GO. I’d been a few times as a kid and adult and loved it but nothing beats the memory of daughters face as she met her favourite princess. With children it is the most magical place on Earth - with the possible exception of Lapland at Christmas which I’ve never done.

Overthehill
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Overthehill » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:15 pm

Been 3 times, twice in Disney and once in Kissimmee.
The best was Saratoga Springs in a two bedroom suite, pool complex 100 meters away, Free Disney transport bus stop 100 meters away. We got the Disney dinning plan for free and it was very good!
Two benefits to staying in a Disney hotel, the magic hours (going in before everyone else) and not having to park a mile away from the park) and paying $20 a day parking. The Disney buses drop you off near the main entrance.
We hired a big Chevvy Jeep for three days for universal etc.. at about $70 a day and where we stayed we could park very close to our suite.
However, each to there own.

colne-claret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by colne-claret » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:16 pm

We go in three weeks for 21 nights. I can not wait!

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:29 pm

colne-claret wrote:We go in three weeks for 21 nights. I can not wait!
No. You go in just 21 days for a whole 3 weeks!

colne-claret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by colne-claret » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:38 pm

FactualFrank wrote:No. You go in just 21 days for a whole 3 weeks!
23 days to be precise :D

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:11 pm

thatdberight wrote:So right. Obviously some people want a package holiday somewhere warm with clubs for the kids etc (which is fine; it's very popular for a reason), but America offers an unrivalled mixture of different experiences and ease due to its size, variety of physical and human geography and (in principle!) shared language.
They’ve got some great one way deals which are superb for when you want to visit both east/west coasts are simply want to fly into Seattle and out of LA.

All direct to manchester. I think they fly to about 8 cities these days. Cheapest Ive had was £380 to NYC back from LA. Sign up and they have sales now and again on a thursday for £300 return to different cities (including west coast)

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:43 pm

Unless you want to tour Florida don’t get a car. Insurance , toll roads and big parking fees at the theme parks make it too big an expense.

We stopped on International Drive and got Uber’s everywhere except the free bus to Busch Gardens.Didnt even get to half the price of an hire car without including all other costs. That includes taxi to and from airport.

Loads of places to eat on I-drive and if you shop around doesn’t coat a fortune

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:57 pm

Dyched wrote:Cheapest Ive had was £380 to NYC back from LA.
Did you do that - that's a hell of a road trip?

Inchy
Been Liked: 1333 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:17 am

I am thinking of going in about 6 years when my son with be 8 and my next child (due next month) will be six.

Although I have a long time to save I don’t want to be spending 10 grand upfront on a holiday. 10k including all spends would be alright.
Me and my wife are both nurses and unless the 4p an hour pay rise I just got increases rapidly it’s going to be difficult to justify spending so much. Having said that I’ve just increased my mortgage payments so there is an option to drop them nearer the time.

Back of a fag packet maths, but does anyone know the estimate as to what it would cost for 2 adults 2 children to go for 2 weeks with passes, both on and off site?

Inchy
Been Liked: 1333 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:23 am

Also what time of year are people managing to get 3 weeks off with children? I’m guessing people are taking the kids out of school