Hampstead recommendations

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Hampstead recommendations

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Booked to stay over for the Spurs away game and a gig at The O2 Academy. Am staying in Hampstead Heath for three nights so looking for any recommendations for pubs and food. Usually stay in East London.

Any clarets in the area about for a beer also?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Re: Hampstead recommendations

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Know a great little place round there for pubs and food but is tricky to get to. If you dont mind getting a couple of trains and taxis could be the perfect spot
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone cricketfieldclarets

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:39 pm

Norman Lamont’s favourite heath.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

Post by Rowls » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Don't engage him in political debate. He's a mardy sod.

;)

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2334 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:59 pm

I'm sure we've a poster on here who could help, I'm just trying to think of his name ..... ;)

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Know a great little place round there for pubs and food but is tricky to get to. If you dont mind getting a couple of trains and taxis could be the perfect spot
Thanks. Ive looked at options but looks like i need to get a kings taxi to burnley central. Will then get the train to preston. Change there for the train to burnley manchester road. Once there get the train to Preston for the train to Euston. Will then get the a taxi to kings cross to get the overground before catching a taxi into hampstead. Seems most logical route.
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate

BigRedrose
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by BigRedrose » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:29 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Booked to stay over for the Spurs away game and a gig at The O2 Academy. Am staying in Hampstead Heath for three nights so looking for any recommendations for pubs and food. Usually stay in East London.

Any clarets in the area about for a beer also?
The Flask in Hampstead is a brilliant pub. Also, last time we were there The Duke of (Billy) Hamilton was well worth a visit. Slightly further out, there are many excellent pubs in the Tufnell Park/Kentish Town area.
Hampstead Claret is the 'go to' man though for this one.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:36 pm

BigRedrose wrote:The Flask in Hampstead is a brilliant pub. Also, last time we were there The Duke of (Billy) Hamilton was well worth a visit. Slightly further out, there are many excellent pubs in the Tufnell Park/Kentish Town area.
Hampstead Claret is the 'go to' man though for this one.
Thanks. Hopefully he is around for a pint!

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:39 pm

4 trains and 2 taxis?

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:01 pm

Here are some very good pubs in the general vicinity.

The Southampton Arms
Dartmouth Arms
The Pineapple

And places for food
Rossella
Spaniards Inn
Bull & Last
Lord Palmerston
Amina & Cuore (further towards Camden but is bring your own)

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:06 pm

Goose on broadway for me...cheap as chips.stratford

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:18 pm

There is the Underground. Or the bus.

A 168 takes you from Euston Station to Hampstead:

https://tfl.gov.uk/bus/stop/490011760D/ ... lineId=168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May be worth buying an Oyster Card if you plan on travelling on busses and tube in London.

BigRedrose
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by BigRedrose » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:37 pm

I wouldn't bother buying or topping up Oyster cards now Hipper, just as cheap using contactless payment.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:46 pm

BigRedrose wrote:I wouldn't bother buying or topping up Oyster cards now Hipper, just as cheap using contactless payment.
The Oyster card is a right rip off....someone has to pay for cross rail and all the upgrading though.the customer :cry:

Foreverly Claret
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Post by Foreverly Claret » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:00 pm

I usually stay in the Hampstead premier Inn on Haverstock Hill so I'm really interested in the pubs that are being suggested BUT if you have the time and fancy a little walk go down Haverstock towards Camden past Belsize Park Tube as far as the Roundhouse ( old Camden shed for the train spotters )..turn right and you are in Primrose Hill..climb the hill..the view of London from the top is stunning .If you go down the other side you get to the Regents Canal , regents Park , London Zoo etc..great walk on the canal bank...left takes you into Camden lock...Right eventually to Paddington...some great pubs there .On Euston Road ( near the station ) theres a great value pub..the Rocket...when I go down I get into KingsX and I always walk up Euston Road for a couple there then as someone said the 168 bus which stops round the corner will take you to Hampstead .I'm down 22 Nov if any London clarets fancy buying me a pint !!!
This user liked this post: tim_noone

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:59 am

My apologies - I should have answered a couple of questions on here which were directed at me.

i will do so soon as I have a bit of free time.

Re the OP....a lot of good pubs have shut down in the Hampstead area in the last ten years [pretty much like everywhere else]

Of those that remain, the Flask is still a very good pub [on Flask Walk, one minute from the tube station, selling Young's beers amongst others]

The Holly Bush is always worth a visit [bit harder to find, in the posh houses on the side of the hill, going up to the Heath]

The 'Duke of Hamilton' pub building is still there and trading, but is now called the 'Hampstead Lounge and Jazz Club'.

The Old White Bear - latest is that it looks closed...big legal battle to stop it being converted into flats was won...more recent problems over a new lease..local residents fighting hard to get it re-opened.

The Horseshoe and William IV th pub are 'okay'.
The Wells is now more of an upmarket restaurant, but still calling itself a pub;.. the King of Bohemia, and Jack Straws Castle are gone forever..stay away from all the rubbish pubs on Finchley Road.

Two very good venues on the edge of Hampstead Heath are 'The Spaniards' [near Kenwood House] and the Freemasons at the bottom of Downshire Hill.
- these two are big on food, and have cracking beer gardens.

The Garden Gate is a decent pub venue near Hampstead Heath station, and the Old Bull and Bush is fine, on the Golden Green side of Hampstead.
Walking down from Hampstead tube station [nearly all downhill]..Belsize Park - Haverstock Hill - Chalk Farm down to Camden Town there are loads of decent pubs, bars and places to eat, especially when you get to Camden...too many to mention.

Hampstead is not a good hotel location for when we play Spurs..a bit better for when we play Arsenal.

Much better options exist just south of Euston station in the Kings Cross, Bloomsbury and Russell Square areas...loads of hotel premises with better prices, and handy for getting trains to the Emirates and the new Tottenham ground.
Last edited by hampsteadclaret on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

walter the softy
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by walter the softy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:25 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Thanks. Ive looked at options but looks like i need to get a kings taxi to burnley central. Will then get the train to preston. Change there for the train to burnley manchester road. Once there get the train to Preston for the train to Euston. Will then get the a taxi to kings cross to get the overground before catching a taxi into hampstead. Seems most logical route.
Seems to be a lot of taxis going on there. I think you do not need to go to Kings Cross at all as the tube from Euston to Hampstead literally goes the same route and will take you all the way without changing.

When you are at Euston, follow the signs to the tube. It is in the station itself as I remember. The one you need is called Northern Line. You need the tube that is going in the direction of Edgeware. Wait until the sign on the platform shows a tube coming with Edgeware as the destination (this is important as some turn off to High Barnet instead). When you get on the tube going to Edgeware, the Hampstead stop is about ten minutes after you get on the tube.

If in doubt, ask an employee. They are happy to help and it is their job.

You may be best buying a day ticket for the tube if you are using it more than once in a day. If this is the only time though on that day, just buy a one-way ticket.

Just edited as I read you are coming into Kings Cross, not Euston. It makes no difference though, the tube is the same. When you are at Kings Cross, follow the signs to the tube and follow the advice above. It is the same tube as the Euston one and goes all the way to Hampstead.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:59 am

walter the softy wrote:Seems to be a lot of taxis going on there. I think you do not need to go to Kings Cross at all as the tube from Euston to Hampstead literally goes the same route and will take you all the way without changing.

When you are at Euston, follow the signs to the tube. It is in the station itself as I remember. The one you need is called Northern Line. You need the tube that is going in the direction of Edgeware. Wait until the sign on the platform shows a tube coming with Edgeware as the destination (this is important as some turn off to High Barnet instead). When you get on the tube going to Edgeware, the Hampstead stop is about ten minutes after you get on the tube.

If in doubt, ask an employee. They are happy to help and it is their job.

You may be best buying a day ticket for the tube if you are using it more than once in a day. If this is the only time though on that day, just buy a one-way ticket.

Just edited as I read you are coming into Kings Cross, not Euston. It makes no difference though, the tube is the same. When you are at Kings Cross, follow the signs to the tube and follow the advice above. It is the same tube as the Euston one and goes all the way to Hampstead.
Hampstead himself suggested it was 4 trains and 2 taxis from Turf Moor?

walter the softy
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by walter the softy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:25 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Hampstead himself suggested it was 4 trains and 2 taxis from Turf Moor?
Are you actually travelling from Turf Moor itself? The train to Preston for your connection stops off at pretty much every small town from Colne onwards. The tube to Hampstead goes directly from Kings Cross. Perhaps Hampstead has his reasons for "4 trains and 2 taxis" but your journey seems pretty straight forward from a transport point of view.

Anyway, good luck with it!

UTC!

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:43 pm

Good luck and Godspeed to you CC

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:40 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Image
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Goobs
Been Liked: 1463 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:18 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Image
He's either put on some weight or stopped dying his hair since last time I saw him :lol:

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:48 am

- sorry about being a bit slow on this, I have edited post 16.