Marvin Sordell depressed/suicide attempt

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Dante.El.Chunk
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Marvin Sordell depressed/suicide attempt

Post by Dante.El.Chunk » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:23 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Re: Marvin Sordell depressed/suicide attempt

Post by BurnleyPaul » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:40 pm

I sincerely hope that we’re not the club he’s referring to and that we’re more understanding than whoever it is that he’s obliquely talking about.

Fair play to him for going public- a brave man! I hope things work out for him and that he is able to lead a long, happy and fulfilling life; whatever field he ends up in.
These 2 users liked this post: holdyourfire GodIsADeeJay81

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32545 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:46 pm

I knew he suffered from depression but didn’t realise it was as bad as this. It all seems to have been at its worst when he was at Bolton.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3163 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:52 pm

BurnleyPaul wrote:I sincerely hope that we’re not the club he’s referring to and that we’re more understanding than whoever it is that he’s obliquely talking about.
It that led to his suicide attempt in August 2013 it was not us, don't think SD would tell a player not to cook or play the piano either, or change his contract for the worse

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10256 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:00 pm

An interesting and clever bloke telling a story that might have one or two so-called "man-managers" feeling a tad embarrassed.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:08 pm

Reading that Guardian article tells me he's just not suited to team sports and he can solve his problems by doing something else.

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Bit of a click bait headline that. I thought it was a breaking story.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3190 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:51 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I knew he suffered from depression but didn’t realise it was as bad as this. It all seems to have been at its worst when he was at Bolton.
Bolton could do that to anyone TBH.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10256 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:44 pm

He's probably too much of a thinker, possibly too intelligent, to fall into the culture of some clubs. Clough jnr. will see him right.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Awfully sad. And shows you should always think about how you treat others. Even players. And even online.

Some of the vile messages posted about the ability and effort of Sordell, Treacy, Lennon and Walters all three of whom clearly have / had dark issues is pathetic. Yet because they are famous or rich it is deemed acceptable. Same goes for Carlisle too.

Who knows, Jutkewicz, Wells, Wood, Hendrick, Bardsley and various others who are the brunt of more extreme criticism than others, may also suffer similarly.

We should be supportive of our players. Criticism is of course acceptable. But some of the stuff posted is embarrassing at times.

Walters:

'Exactly, he did look on the verge of becoming a disruptive shithouse'
'Good, we don't need players like him around, especially when we all need to be pulling together in the same direction.'
'There’s a reason the great man has got rid when we have injuries all over the shop. Bad apple.'

Doesnt matter how rich you are. How famous you are. Anyone can suffer. I for one wouldnt sacrifice my life for their lack of freedom!
This user liked this post: jtv

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:33 pm

You can't remember Brenda n O'Connell.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6964 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:31 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Awfully sad. And shows you should always think about how you treat others. Even players. And even online.

Some of the vile messages posted about the ability and effort of Sordell, Treacy, Lennon and Walters all three of whom clearly have / had dark issues is pathetic. Yet because they are famous or rich it is deemed acceptable. Same goes for Carlisle too.

Who knows, Jutkewicz, Wells, Wood, Hendrick, Bardsley and various others who are the brunt of more extreme criticism than others, may also suffer similarly.

We should be supportive of our players. Criticism is of course acceptable. But some of the stuff posted is embarrassing at times.

Walters:

'Good, we don't need players like him around, especially when we all need to be pulling together in the same direction.'
'There’s a reason the great man has got rid when we have injuries all over the shop. Bad apple.'

Doesnt matter how rich you are. How famous you are. Anyone can suffer. I for one wouldnt sacrifice my life for their lack of freedom!
Agreed. There’s some unnecessary, venomous posts about certain players that certainly isn’t warranted. Of course, professional footballers shouldn’t be loitering on football messageboards if they can’t handle criticism, but you can bet your bottom dollar many will.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:33 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Agreed. There’s some unnecessary, venomous posts about certain players that certainly isn’t warranted. Of course, professional footballers shouldn’t be loitering on football messageboards if they can’t handle criticism, but you can bet your bottom dollar many will.
I can understand why they would. But if i was of a certain mentality not a chance I would!

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:06 pm

football is big business, unfortunately players are regarded as mere commodities thesedays. we as fans get wrapped up in the farce and comment accordingly. Its not really for us to tread carefully so as to avoid hurting feelings. Sadly that is the game.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:43 pm

I saw Sordell play at Accy on Saturday. Had a fairly average game, stuck out wide but played an important role in Burton’s goal.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:08 pm

I'd stand by that. Walters was starting to tweet indicating he was unsettled and evidently isnt opposed to squaring up to his manager / coach according to the ROI reports (deserved when it comes to Keane it seems).

he needed to leave, he has, and seems more suited to Ipswich in the current time and place. Good luck to him, however had he stayed, he would have been disruptive.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:03 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45510063 Marvin is calling for full-time counsellors at clubs,it's bizarre that the physical health of the players is surrounded by high-tech sports scientists,but their mental health is not prioritised to the same extent.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:04 pm

tiger76 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45510063 Marvin is calling for full-time counsellors at clubs,it's bizarre that the physical health of the players is surrounded by high-tech sports scientists,but their mental health is not prioritised to the same extent.
I’m not sure that is the case at Burnley but could be wrong.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:05 pm

South West Claret. wrote:I’m not sure that is the case at Burnley but could be wrong.
You would think with the resources in the top 2 English divisions there would be ample support,whether professionals lower down the pyramid have similar backing maybe open to question.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:54 am

tiger76 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45510063 Marvin is calling for full-time counsellors at clubs,it's bizarre that the physical health of the players is surrounded by high-tech sports scientists,but their mental health is not prioritised to the same extent.
The problem is its easy to diagnose a physical injury. Most suicidal or depressed people wont even speak about the issue.

Spike
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Spike » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:24 pm

seems he hit rock bottom along with Bolton in 2013

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Mental illness is the scurge of modern society, it is quite often not diagnosed and sufferers look fit and healthy. When people complain of being depressed or having anxiety attacks the normal response is along the lines of 'pull yourself together' like you are some set of bloody curtains. Many people, to varying degrees, suffer the dark side of the mind and it can take years to get over, sometimes never. A lot of the time all you can do is manage it. Anxiety never really goes away and that feeling of panic and dread can hit you at any time but, once you realise what it is and that it does pass, you learn to manage it and in a way it makes you stronger. Too many people make fun of people who are 'nuts' but the reality is that living in a nightmare that you cannot wake up from is a living hell and until, if ever, you learn to deal with it it can destroy your life and relationships.
What many people don't understand is that sufferers don't think they are in any way special and many don't seek help because being 'a bit mad' is still to this day something of a stigma. They don't want special treatment and they don't want sympathy, all they want is for it all to go away but too often they feel they can't turn to anyone to achieve that.
The most important thing anyone EVER said to me was 'Let me tell you from the start I can't help you, I can only help you to help yourself'. Yes it was a psychiatrist and yes I was/am a sufferer, but now I can handle life and everything damn thing it throws at me because when that bloody monster comes calling I know it can't beat me and that is the whole battle.
I can tell people about this now and laugh about it but 30-odd years ago for 3-4 years only a small handfull of people knew. It cost me my first marriage and many weeks off work, not to mention years of medication but now it's (hopefully) over. Has it gone? No. But I can handle it now.
What relevance has this to a football site? Well, none really apart from the fact that, oddly, my first real attack came whilst standing on the Longside enjoying a game when all of a sudden I didn't want to be there. I didn't set foot on the Turf for several years after that. My first game back was a strange feeling but it HAD to be done. I did it and it has never been a problem since.

Sorry to have gone on a bit.
These 2 users liked this post: ecc Rileybobs

ecc
Been Liked: 1440 times
Has Liked: 1287 times

Post by ecc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:39 pm

Fair play to your houseboy. I'm very glad you seem to be winning your battle.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:46 pm

ecc wrote:Fair play to your houseboy. I'm very glad you seem to be winning your battle.
To be honest I don't see it as a battle now, it's more a part of my life that's been ring fenced and put to bed. I appreciate your comment though. The one thing good that did come out of it was a young lass who I worked with started with it and I had told her about my experience, she sought help and kept talking to me. She is now a beautiful and confident young woman who runs her own business. We still keep in touch and we will be forever friends.