ARTICLE: Up the Clarets back Lowerhouse call for Anderson statue

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32540 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

ARTICLE: Up the Clarets back Lowerhouse call for Anderson statue

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:50 am

Saw this morning that Lowerhouse were calling for a James Anderson statue. I've spoken to them since and am delighted to say that Up the Clarets are fully behind them in asking the town to recognise our greatest ever sportsman.

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/up-the-clar ... son-statue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 6 users liked this post: Lordlucan The Enclosure mybloodisclaret Stayingup bobinho SammyBoy

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Re: ARTICLE: Up the Clarets back Lowerhouse call for Anderson statue

Post by The Enclosure » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Be great to have the two Jimmys side by side,Burnley's greatest ever sportsmen.
This user liked this post: claptrappers_union

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:08 pm

The Enclosure wrote:Be great to have the two Jimmys side by side,Burnley's greatest ever sportsmen.
McIlroy and Mullen I presume?
These 2 users liked this post: The Enclosure claptrappers_union

Frenchclaret
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 602 times

Post by Frenchclaret » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:18 pm

I agree - the least we can do to honour our best living sportsman is put up a statue. Has Jimmy been given the freedom of the borough and a mayoral reception? He has achieved a status which few people would have considered possible when he began his career and the town should mark his achievement.
This user liked this post: ClaretTricks

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:24 pm

In all Seriousness. A good start would be that awful roundabout by the keirby. A woman crashed into it a year ago (and later died) and its still a right mess! Nothing has been done with it and its only a matter of time before it falls into a passing car.

That roundabout would be a great spot. Although probably not the best spot for pictures of or with a statue...

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:29 pm

Frenchclaret wrote:I agree - the least we can do to honour our best living sportsman is put up a statue. Has Jimmy been given the freedom of the borough and a mayoral reception? He has achieved a status which few people would have considered possible when he began his career and the town should mark his achievement.
He is a freeman of the borough

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:32 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:McIlroy and Mullen I presume?
Don't you start :D

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:32 pm

I fully agree that the town should recognise and honour Jimmy Anderson's achievements in some way, I just think that statues are a totally naff way of doing it. They very rarely look like the person they are supposed to depict and they are wide open to vandalism, plus his career is not ended yet. If he is to be honoured just how and when should be given very careful thought.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Chobulous wrote:I fully agree that the town should recognise and honour Jimmy Anderson's achievements in some way, I just think that statues are a totally naff way of doing it. They very rarely look like the person they are supposed to depict and they are wide open to vandalism, plus his career is not ended yet. If he is to be honoured just how and when should be given very careful thought.
Very good points.
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:08 pm

Would have been nice for his achievement to have been acknowledged in the Commons today, but instead Theresa chose to begin PMQs by congratulating Alastair Cook on his lifetime achievements.
Well I suppose a Burnley lad becoming the world's leading wicket taking pace bowler will not really have registered with her advisers down there.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Rename the cricketfield stand the Jimmy Anderson stand.

Rename the longside the Jimmy Mullen stand.

Rename the Bob Lord the Jimmy Robson stand.

Sorted. Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets basil6345789

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:34 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:Rename the cricketfield stand the Jimmy Anderson stand.

Lovely lovely

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2001 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Jumping on the back of success ?

Chobulous

Post by Chobulous » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:25 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:Rename the cricketfield stand the Jimmy Anderson stand.

I like the undertone here
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets FCBurnley Dublin7Claret

Longsidelenny
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Longsidelenny » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:34 pm

Don’t forget our famous jimmy jimmyclithero

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:15 pm

Make sure it's a good likeness:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/hampshire/content/ ... ture.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stayingup
Been Liked: 922 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:25 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Would have been nice for his achievement to have been acknowledged in the Commons today, but instead Theresa chose to begin PMQs by congratulating Alastair Cook on his lifetime achievements.
Well I suppose a Burnley lad becoming the world's leading wicket taking pace bowler will not really have registered with her advisers down there.
It's London. Don't you know it's another country and they, the establishment in total, haven't a clue about life outside it. One recently thought the North Sea was in the Far East and Carlisle was near Bury.

Jimmy is brilliant. Cook has said he is England's best ever cricketer.

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:25 pm

The name of James Anderson "The Burnley Express"" was coined by Rebecca Law, the daughter of former well known Lancs League cricketers, dad Roger and brother Ben Law, who had known James during their time together at Burnley CC.
She was at the MCC showing her support for James, "who got her tickets" while watching the Ashes test.
Knowing Bumble David Lloyd always had an eye for picking out something of interest, to talk about during TV commentries among the crowd. He picked out Rebecca, with the banner, "Good Luck James Anderson, the Burnley Express" from Burnley Cricket Club. Bumble said,he's got support here from Burnley, just then Rebecca bent down and picked up a pint glass and had good slurp of Beer/Lager. Bumble said "yes thats definitely a Burnley girl".
Bumble would not have realised at the time, he would have probably played against Roger a few times, when he himself played in the Lancs League.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2918 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:45 pm

Chobulous wrote:I fully agree that the town should recognise and honour Jimmy Anderson's achievements in some way, I just think that statues are a totally naff way of doing it. They very rarely look like the person they are supposed to depict and they are wide open to vandalism, plus his career is not ended yet. If he is to be honoured just how and when should be given very careful thought.
Maybe we should just ask Jimmy if he will come and stand around Burnley instead of a statue then,no vandalism,I think Jimmy will look like Jimmy,and when he's not being a statue he can either watch the Clarets in the football season,or play for the towns cricket club in the summer.

Chobulous

Post by Chobulous » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:53 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Maybe we should just ask Jimmy if he will come and stand around Burnley instead of a statue then,no vandalism,I think Jimmy will look like Jimmy,and when he's not being a statue he can either watch the Clarets in the football season,or play for the towns cricket club in the summer.
Tit

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2918 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Chobulous wrote:Tit
Bum. :lol:

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5084 times
Has Liked: 6895 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:36 pm

One of the greatest cricketers the world has ever seen,he's from our town, and some question a statue ?
F me there's one of a woman patting a cow in the market square.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1300 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Do a half time draw at least.

Billy_Hamilton

Post by Billy_Hamilton » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:43 pm

Bfc wrote:The name of James Anderson "The Burnley Express"" was coined by Rebecca Law, the daughter of former well known Lancs League cricketers, dad Roger and brother Ben Law, who had known James during their time together at Burnley CC.
She was at the MCC showing her support for James, "who got her tickets" while watching the Ashes test.
Knowing Bumble David Lloyd always had an eye for picking out something of interest, to talk about during TV commentries among the crowd. He picked out Rebecca, with the banner, "Good Luck James Anderson, the Burnley Express" from Burnley Cricket Club. Bumble said,he's got support here from Burnley, just then Rebecca bent down and picked up a pint glass and had good slurp of Beer/Lager. Bumble said "yes thats definitely a Burnley girl".
Bumble would not have realised at the time, he would have probably played against Roger a few times, when he himself played in the Lancs League.

Not quite accurate, but mostly correct. The name for James - the “Burnley Express” - was coined by Craig Salmon, who at the time was a sports reporter at the paper and covered a number of the BCC matches when James was a member of the 1st XI.

Lordlucan
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Lordlucan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:11 pm

Just listened to a 5 live podcast - “anatomy of a fast bowler” - fascinating interview with Jimmy. And there I was thinking all you had to do was chuck a pie on off stump

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:20 am

Bfc wrote:The name of James Anderson "The Burnley Express"" was coined by Rebecca Law, the daughter of former well known Lancs League cricketers, dad Roger and brother Ben Law, who had known James during their time together at Burnley CC.
See Billy_Hamilton's post - that's where the name came from.

Guich
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by Guich » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:38 am

Stayingup wrote:It's London. Don't you know it's another country and they, the establishment in total, haven't a clue about life outside it. One recently thought the North Sea was in the Far East and Carlisle was near Bury.

Jimmy is brilliant. Cook has said he is England's best ever cricketer.
Damn right.

My room-mate in my first year at university though Burnley was in Scotland.

I didn't speak to him much after that :lol:

standishclarets
Been Liked: 26 times

Post by standishclarets » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:44 pm

I am all for a statue for Jimmy, but, hang on, lets not get ahead of ourselves. His career seems to be nowhere near over, which gives plenty of time to quietly plan. Fund raising is obviously the first step. Where to site the statue is another major issue (for me, the obvious place would be outside the cricket ground at he beginning of Harry Potts Way - to be seen by all supporters).

To me, a statue is the best idea. It gives you a focal point, something to look up to and admire. Someone mentioned that a statue can be vandalised and are naff. Come to Wigan and I will show you numerous statues that are as realistic as they can be. We have Dave Whelan with the FA Cup outside the DW stadium, a statue of the great Billy Boston (if you don't know, look it up!), George Formby (unfortunately hidden away in one of the shopping arcades), and a lovely one dedicated to Sir Francis Powell, MP in Wigan for over 25 years. Tradition says you rub his foot for luck, its a lovely 'golden' colour (not sure though how many people actually realise he was a Conservative MP!!). I only go on about the statues because THEY DO WORK.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:56 am

standishclarets wrote:I am all for a statue for Jimmy, but, hang on, lets not get ahead of ourselves. His career seems to be nowhere near over, which gives plenty of time to quietly plan. Fund raising is obviously the first step. Where to site the statue is another major issue (for me, the obvious place would be outside the cricket ground at he beginning of Harry Potts Way - to be seen by all supporters).

To me, a statue is the best idea. It gives you a focal point, something to look up to and admire. Someone mentioned that a statue can be vandalised and are naff. Come to Wigan and I will show you numerous statues that are as realistic as they can be. We have Dave Whelan with the FA Cup outside the DW stadium, a statue of the great Billy Boston (if you don't know, look it up!), George Formby (unfortunately hidden away in one of the shopping arcades), and a lovely one dedicated to Sir Francis Powell, MP in Wigan for over 25 years. Tradition says you rub his foot for luck, its a lovely 'golden' colour (not sure though how many people actually realise he was a Conservative MP!!). I only go on about the statues because THEY DO WORK.
Yep .Harry Potts Way would be a great spot. Away fans would also see it too. And I am sure there are tonnes of Cricket and even Anderson fans from outside Burnley.