Huge Game v Wolves

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Huge Game v Wolves

Post by warksclaret » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:06 pm

For me this is a huge game on Sunday. With Europa Cup behind us, a two week break its vital we put on our best performance of the season. Like England on Tuesday we simply need a result, a good defensive display and all eleven turning up. In this I hope SD has also had time with his coaches to start with a team and mentality that produces a better result than we have seen this season. In my opinion, time to introduce Ben Gibson in a defense ( that's looked decidedly shaky since the last 3 to 4 games of last year), and Vydra for more than 5 minutes. If we are sitting with one point from five games on Sunday night its going to be a confidence eroding situation for the team and fans

Who would have thought that after 4 games Watford would need 28 points to stay up. The PL has definitely raised its game with a number of sides who finished in the bottom half raising their game and play accordingly. If you think I am being negative just look at our run-in during the last few games

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Re: Huge Game v Wolves

Post by Spijed » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:19 pm

You've also forgotten that old chestnut:

It looks like teams will need over 40 points to survive!

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:23 pm

Well aware of that Spijed-Ranieri kept reminding the football world the year they won the PL !!!

k90bfc
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 5523 times

Post by k90bfc » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:36 pm

Wolves fans back on their high horses already,talking about,3-0,4-0 etc,they never change,lets ram it back right down their throats,cocky as they always have been,carried away already,We can stop them in their tracks,Cmon Burnley,what a time to get our first win,underestimate us at their peril.UTC.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:46 pm

k90bfc wrote:Wolves fans back on their high horses already,talking about,3-0,4-0 etc,they never change,lets ram it back right down their throats,cocky as they always have been,carried away already,We can stop them in their tracks,Cmon Burnley,what a time to get our first win,underestimate us at their peril.UTC.
Can I ask how this is going to happen with no creativity, no pace, and no confidence in the team ?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:58 pm

joey13 wrote:Can I ask how this is going to happen with no creativity, no pace, and no confidence in the team ?
3-0 against West ham?
This user liked this post: Spike

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:59 pm

joey13 wrote:Can I ask how this is going to happen with no creativity, no pace, and no confidence in the team ?
There is more than enough creativity in the side. Finding someone happy to cover the holding roll to let them play would help.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:00 pm

Yes we might as well pack up now. F****n pathetic.
This user liked this post: Spike

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:03 pm

As an aside I think it was in the 80s or 90s that Wolves had an incredible winning record at the Turf, something like 13 wins in their last 15 visits.

Not much better then at their place so I’m not feeling that confident about Sunday to be honest.

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:06 pm

We need a result, that's for sure, but they're looking very good, and outspent us massively in the transfer market. Who would have thought that Wolverhampton would become Little Portugal?

joey13

Post by joey13 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Spijed wrote:3-0 against West ham?
Didn’t think we had played West Ham this season

joey13

Post by joey13 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:15 pm

elwaclaret wrote:There is more than enough creativity in the side. Finding someone happy to cover the holding roll to let them play would help.
Like at Fulham

joey13

Post by joey13 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:17 pm

taio wrote:Yes we might as well pack up now. F****n pathetic.
Truth hurts doesn’t it ,if the board had supported Dyche in the transfer window it could have been oh so different, why not get annoyed about them

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:29 pm

joey13 wrote:Truth hurts doesn’t it ,if the board had supported Dyche in the transfer window it could have been oh so different, why not get annoyed about them
Well, the defence was strengthened and that's our main issue at the moment.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:35 pm

I think this game can go either way but suspect its down to team selection. If we pose a threat with two up front (hopefully with Vydra in) and press like we did v Saints we could surprise them. Play the same team as v Fulham and Man U then if they score first and it will really lift Wolves and that will hurt us

joey13

Post by joey13 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:43 pm

Spijed wrote:Well, the defence was strengthened and that's our main issue at the moment.
Main issue is confidence, Gibson hasn’t played in the league and we’ve lost Pope so I wouldn’t say our defence was stronger

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:05 pm

joey13 wrote:Main issue is confidence, Gibson hasn’t played in the league and we’ve lost Pope so I wouldn’t say our defence was stronger
Gibson has experience of the PL with Boro though.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:06 pm

Spijed wrote:Well, the defence was strengthened and that's our main issue at the moment.
We added a goalkeeper out of necessity and a currently back-up centre half. Ward is looking a shadow of last year too, hence why I think Taylor needs to be committed to.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:08 am

South West Claret. wrote:As an aside I think it was in the 80s or 90s that Wolves had an incredible winning record at the Turf, something like 13 wins in their last 15 visits.

Not much better then at their place so I’m not feeling that confident about Sunday to be honest.
I can remember going on the Turf and I think it was late 80s, Wolves absolutely tore us apart, with Bull and his strike partner too Mutch for us ;) I think they won 5-2 but rusty brain is telling me they had 2 or 3 goals disallowed.

Bull was one HELL of a striker!

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:35 am

Especially when he played in the 4th Division.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:30 am

Is this the biggest / hugest game ever for Burnley? Especially looking forward to the run in 7 months away.
This user liked this post: lesxdp

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:56 am

NL Claret wrote:Is this the biggest / hugest game ever for Burnley? Especially looking forward to the run in 7 months away.
It all depends on your perspective and what you consider huge, it appears that NL is of the same opinion as me that this is just one of 38 PL games which we play in a nine month season.
This user liked this post: NL Claret

italianclaret88
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by italianclaret88 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Crucial game....we need to be smart and quick to score....FACCIAMO UN MANICOMIO

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:It all depends on your perspective and what you consider huge, it appears that NL is of the same opinion as me that this is just one of 38 PL games which we play in a nine month season.
Spot on, it is a long season and no reason to go into meltdown however I can anticipate meltdown on Sunday with posters claiming Wolves there for the taking, Dyche can't blame Europe, criticism of Hendrick and Bardsley etc. I have to laugh at Twitter when the team is announced, the team selection is instantly criticised, the usual predictable rubbish.
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Spike

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:16 pm

some fans aren't putting a good enough shift in and I blame them. unsold tickets, negativity come on lads we are all in this together.
Can I ask what creativity will be employed by the whingers other than watching it on Sky?

Come on Burnley!

UTC!

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:22 pm

NL Claret wrote:Spot on, it is a long season and no reason to go into meltdown however I can anticipate meltdown on Sunday with posters claiming Wolves there for the taking, Dyche can't blame Europe, criticism of Hendrick and Bardsley etc. I have to laugh at Twitter when the team is announced, the team selection is instantly criticised, the usual predictable rubbish.
Social media has a lot to answer for these days with the instant moaning going into print. At least, when I first went on the Turf 66 years ago, you had to wait until word of the team went round before you heard the moans, mind you it wasn't quite as bad in those days because there was no bench to moan about.

It has never ceased to amaze me just how many fans really enjoy moaning about the club, team, board, manager etc. or anything for that matter.
I just enjoy the fact that I am still able to get to the Turf to watch the matches and just how great it is that we are playing in the top division of English football, something I never thought I would see again in my lifetime when we were relegated in 1976 and webt on a downward spiral.

Those running and managing the Club never get it right all of the time, however, criticism from me won't change things, because I am not party to exactly what is happening in the background, so I am happy to let them get on with it
This user liked this post: NL Claret

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:43 pm

warksclaret wrote:For me this is a huge game on Sunday. With Europa Cup behind us, a two week break its vital we put on our best performance of the season. Like England on Tuesday we simply need a result, a good defensive display and all eleven turning up. In this I hope SD has also had time with his coaches to start with a team and mentality that produces a better result than we have seen this season. In my opinion, time to introduce Ben Gibson in a defense ( that's looked decidedly shaky since the last 3 to 4 games of last year), and Vydra for more than 5 minutes. If we are sitting with one point from five games on Sunday night its going to be a confidence eroding situation for the team and fans

Who would have thought that after 4 games Watford would need 28 points to stay up. The PL has definitely raised its game with a number of sides who finished in the bottom half raising their game and play accordingly. If you think I am being negative just look at our run-in during the last few games
One thing that seems to escaped you is that although you say the PL has raised its game this season you fail to mention that all the three promoted sides stayed up last year, and three well established teams went down. Surely that's a sign that this year is no tougher with promoted clubs doing well previously. If Wolves and Fulham stay in the Prem, along with Cardiff, why will that be a sign that this year is far harder or any different from the last?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:20 pm

Spijed wrote:One thing that seems to escaped you is that although you say the PL has raised its game this season you fail to mention that all the three promoted sides stayed up last year, and three well established teams went down. Surely that's a sign that this year is no tougher with promoted clubs doing well previously. If Wolves and Fulham stay in the Prem, along with Cardiff, why will that be a sign that this year is far harder or any different from the last?
It's only a sign that the top 6 are in their own division and that the top of the Championship has caught up with the rest of the Premier league

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:20 pm

The promoted teams are becoming better prepared and are investing. Very few of the Fulham team for example will soon be the team that got promoted. Then you have teams in the lower half that have seriously strengthened their squads ie Brighton, Bournemouth, and Leicester.You cant tell me we're not significantly better than last year when they beat Man U recently and at times fully in control. And Southampton under Mark Hughes look a different outfit. Watford look sensational . I cannot see easy wins any more and that's not a criticism of our club. For me Huddersfield and Cardiff are the weak links. Time will tell if WHU will fall away/sack Pellegrini. Just prayer we stay above all three. Todays injury news is a further barrier.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:30 pm

I LEFT THE WORD BRIGHTON OUT

The promoted teams are becoming better prepared and are investing. Very few of the Fulham team for example will soon be the team that got promoted. Then you have teams in the lower half that have seriously strengthened their squads ie Brighton, Bournemouth, and Leicester.You cant tell me BRIGHTON we're not significantly better than last year when they beat Man U recently and at times fully in control. And Southampton under Mark Hughes look a different outfit. Watford look sensational . I cannot see easy wins any more and that's not a criticism of our club. For me Huddersfield and Cardiff are the weak links. Time will tell if WHU will fall away/sack Pellegrini. Just prayer we stay above all three. Todays injury news is a further barrier.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:31 pm

No bigger or less important than any other game. 3 points would be great, but there's no need to get over-stressed if we lose.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:14 pm

warksclaret wrote:I LEFT THE WORD BRIGHTON OUT

The promoted teams are becoming better prepared and are investing. Very few of the Fulham team for example will soon be the team that got promoted. Then you have teams in the lower half that have seriously strengthened their squads ie Brighton, Bournemouth, and Leicester.You cant tell me BRIGHTON we're not significantly better than last year when they beat Man U recently and at times fully in control. And Southampton under Mark Hughes look a different outfit. Watford look sensational . I cannot see easy wins any more and that's not a criticism of our club. For me Huddersfield and Cardiff are the weak links. Time will tell if WHU will fall away/sack Pellegrini. Just prayer we stay above all three. Todays injury news is a further barrier.
If I remember correctly, Huddersfield beat Man U 2-0 last season, but didn't look anything special. Under Jose, Man U are prone to throw in a few bad games per season. Brighton & Spurs this. So nothing different. As for Watford, you think winning four in a row makes them sensational? What about us winning five in a row? Watford are prone to collapsing anyway and hanging on at the end of the season.

If it's the case of teams at the bottom getting stronger then why does the points distribution remain constant - season in, season out if teams are gradually getting harder to beat? Why would this season suddenly be any different when there hasn't suddenly been an influx of new TV money?

If what you say is true then teams near the bottom will be reaching the 45-50 points total. But, as always, 37 points will pretty much be all that's required to survive. That's one thing you can be very confident of.

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Sensational Watford not doing too well. Might be a reality check for some that United are a multi million pound side and we weren't going to beat them the other week, then again...................

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:33 pm

It's not just 1 game of 38 though, is it. Mathematically, sure - it's just 1 of 38, but it would be carrying on a winless run longer, which can potentially drop heads and drop morale. Thinking it's just another game is alright for a fan to say, but I bet it doesn't work like that as a player and manager.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:54 pm

FF I am totally with you on this one. Its a biggy for me. Those saying keep calm its just another game and 33 to go are probably from the same camp who with three weeks to go to TRANSFER DEADLINE were saying don't panic plenty of time to sign new players

By the way what about Grays finish just now. He has definitely improved with his touch

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:57 pm

NL CLARET SAID

Sensational Watford not doing too well. Might be a reality check for some that United are a multi million pound side and we weren't going to beat them the other week, then again...................

If we had played this way v Man U last game I would have been the happiest guy in Proudsville

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:43 pm

NL Claret wrote:Sensational Watford not doing too well. Might be a reality check for some that United are a multi million pound side and we weren't going to beat them the other week, then again...................
The media are a curious bunch,just a couple of weeks ago Spurs went to Old Trafford and won 3-0,and all the after-match conversation surrounded Mourinho's future,fast forward to today Tottenham lose again,Man Utd go to a Watford side that bested Spurs recently,and come away with a valuable 3 points,suddenly only goal difference separates Spurs/Man Utd and now all the focus is on Tottenham's lack of transfer activity in the summer.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:35 am

A big ask today but to everyone going to the game give the lads your all, they will need it. I'll be crossing everything here in Cornwall.
This user liked this post: Carnsmerry12

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:59 am

warksclaret wrote:NL CLARET SAID

If we had played this way v Man U last game I would have been the happiest guy in Proudsville
What was the result though? Did Watford win?
Watfrod fans will be ecstatic because they will be able to say "We should have won that" ---meanwhile in the real world ---they lost.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:22 am

It is a big `un, in my mind. I have yet to connect this season, what with the Thursday/Sunday schedule and time differences and there`s a distinct possibility the players have had a feeling in a similar vein. Our incredible success under Dyche, for which he has been rightly lauded, has been very much round pegs/round holes working with sheer graft and determination (allied to a modicum of flair - Gudmundsson, Brady and Defour). The playing of a 2nd team in the Europa League could very possibly have led to players quite simply not being `at it` for the Premier League campaign - particularly in reference to Mee.

We need to really move up the gears now, I just hope Dyche has the flexibility (and to a lesser extent the humility) to achieve this. He has been a remarkable manager but football is `all about results`. Pulis lost his magic touch with West Brom and his style was much maligned when it stopped being successful...there has to be a time when questions HAVE to be asked - no manager should be above criticism.

Brady and Defour have been a huge miss (we were playing some lovely stuff prior to their injuries) but there has to be a plan b somewhere - we have not had one.

Compete, show some intent to be on the front foot and challenge the opposition today will be a move in the right direction.

IF Gudmundsson is fit...

Hart (wouldn`t argue with Heaton though)

LOWTON (has to start him) Tarkowski Mee Taylor

Hendrick Cork Westwood

Gudmundsson BARNES (HAS TO PLAY)

Wood ( needs some fire in his belly).

I have no idea how this game will pan out. Could very well be 3-0 to Wolves or 2-1 to Burnley. I hope and pray for the latter.

COME ON BURNLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:29 am

If we win today and win next week the table could look very different,a week is a long time in football,our season starts here.

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:41 pm

tiger76 wrote:If we win today and win next week the table could look very different,a week is a long time in football,our season starts here.
If that happens there will be talk of Europe on UTC.

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Our 64th visit to Molineux and our 42nd defeat, some things hardly ever change.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:00 pm

taio wrote:Yes we might as well pack up now. F****n pathetic.
Looks like we did pack up , maybe Dyche listens to you can you ask him to tell the players to actually look like they care

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:38 pm

joey13 wrote:Looks like we did pack up , maybe Dyche listens to you can you ask him to tell the players to actually look like they care
Dreadful performance. However I'm still waiting for you to make a good point about anything.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:06 pm

taio wrote:Dreadful performance. However I'm still waiting for you to make a good point about anything.
I’ll keep you waiting till we win a game , it could be a long wait

Wembley09
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by Wembley09 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 pm

We were awful today, Wolves carved us open countless times, we could and should have lost by more than 1.. but on the other hand,we still could have nicked a very undeserved point.

To be fair, Wolves have spent around £65 million this summer (not to mention the wages they are paying alot of their players) plus all the money they spent last season in the Championship.. and it definitely showed today, we looked a gulf apart.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:45 am

taio wrote:Dreadful performance. However I'm still waiting for you to make a good point about anything.
Oh yeah post 5 was a good point , bearing in mind it was made 3 days before the match .
Apologies welcome :lol: