Wolves Portuguese Imports v MIGHTY CLARETS

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
PWBFC
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Re: Wolves Portuguese Imports v MIGHTY CLARETS

Post by PWBFC » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:20 pm

A deeply worrying performance. Completely inept and very lucky to get away with a narrow defeat, we should’ve been thumped.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:20 pm

We are absolutely toothless and if it wasn’t for Wolves missing a hatful of chances the score line could have been far far worse. Embarrassing!!

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3603 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:20 pm

Amazing that our goal difference isn’t something -12 after today.

I’m sat here delighted at 1-0 after this pathetic showing.

Jeremy_Bentham
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Jeremy_Bentham » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:20 pm

. is just glad the Wolves finishing has been so appalling.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:21 pm

We are absolutely toothless and if it wasn’t for Wolves missing a hatful of chances the score line could have been far far worse. Embarrassing!!

Murger
Been Liked: 1244 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Post by Murger » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:21 pm

What excuses will be trotted out this time? They spent more than us maybe. They have promotion momentum maybe. How about we are **** and look like we are down already.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11049 times
Has Liked: 5658 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:21 pm

I genuinely don't see where we are going to pick up at point. Bournemouth were superb yesterday with fast flowing football

Lett's have it right, Wolves should have scored 6 today

colne-claret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by colne-claret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:21 pm

This is pathetic, absolutely pathetic. It should be about 8 by now. I don't care how well Dyche has done for us in the past this can not carry on. Somethiny has to change. Disgraceful start to the season. We look doomed. It's not as though we've really had a tough start to the season. Seems easy to blame Europa League at the moment.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Right_winger wrote:Il stand by the if we fail to win in the next 3 then Dyche has to go.
I agree

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:22 pm

It might be best if we play our best defence

Lowton
Tarly
Mee
Ward

colne-claret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by colne-claret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:22 pm

This is pathetic, absolutely pathetic. It should be about 8 by now. I don't care how well Dyche has done for us in the past this can not carry on. Somethiny has to change. Disgraceful start to the season. We look doomed. It's not as though we've really had a tough start to the season. Seems easy to blame Europa League at the moment.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 767 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:22 pm

We should have lost by at least 5 today if it wasn’t for their garbage finishing

What on earth does that say about us though. Back to the championship on that evidence

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 767 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:23 pm

We should have lost by at least 5 today if it wasn’t for their garbage finishing

What on earth does that say about us though. Back to the championship on that evidence

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Bringing Westwood on when we need a goal says it all to me
I’ll say again the Board need to hang their heads in shame , disgraceful

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:23 pm

DCWat wrote:Don’t disagree, Cleveleys. I was one who was very disappointed with our lack of transfer business. There seemed to be some perception that we’d suddenly become an established premier league side.

Our current issues all hark back to the summer. Whether that was Dyche, The Board, Recruitment, Scouting, I haven’t a clue but whatever it was we need to have all our ducks in a row come January and hope that we’ve enough to keep pace between now and then.
A lot of my frustrations are aimed at Garlick as I dont think he backs Dyche in the transfer market and is more interested in having money in the bank. Think he looks it at it as 17th is good enough every season. As long as the money is rolling in he doesnt care for what football is dished out to us fans.

Dyche I think doesnt trust the players enough to take risks and the rigid formation has been found out. For a manager that is so highly rated he is slowly starting to get figured out. So far he is proving to be one dimensional with no plan B

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:24 pm

30 attempts at goal from Wolves! That’s the sort of stat you would expect away at City.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1171 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by burnleymik » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Positives...

Only 1-0
Joe Jart
Vydra

Negatives..

Too many to list.

Hope Dyche can get a grip on this. Bournemouth on Saturday is going to be a huge game for us.
This user liked this post: Somethingfishy

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:25 pm

DCWat wrote:Don’t disagree, Cleveleys. I was one who was very disappointed with our lack of transfer business. There seemed to be some perception that we’d suddenly become an established premier league side.

Our current issues all hark back to the summer. Whether that was Dyche, The Board, Recruitment, Scouting, I haven’t a clue but whatever it was we need to have all our ducks in a row come January and hope that we’ve enough to keep pace between now and then.
A lot of my frustrations are aimed at Garlick as I dont think he backs Dyche in the transfer market and is more interested in having money in the bank. Think he looks it at it as 17th is good enough every season. As long as the money is rolling in he doesnt care for what football is dished out to us fans.

Dyche I think doesnt trust the players enough to take risks and the rigid formation has been found out. For a manager that is so highly rated he is slowly starting to get figured out. So far he is proving to be one dimensional with no plan B

Alao think because of his demands on the players staying within a framework that they are bored.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:26 pm

Alao think because of his demands on the players staying within a framework that they are bored.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:26 pm

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:27 pm

8 that could have and should have been double figures

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:35 pm

Totally agree DC, problem is there is not a chance this Board will spend money in January knowing we have a high risk of going down and still having to pay wages of the Premiere League.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:37 pm

I think I’ve seen that somewhere before, Cleveleys ;)

I don’t know but I suspect that Dyche himself may be the one that is restricting what we spend. I think that the money was probably there for him to spend.

If that’s the case (and I’m only guessing) he’s been bloody naive.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:39 pm

ClaretAL wrote:Totally agree DC, problem is there is not a chance this Board will spend money in January knowing we have a high risk of going down and still having to pay wages of the Premiere League.
That was why summer was the time to recruit, when our stock was at its highest.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:39 pm

Don't worry, big Sam A is out of work and booking into the Dunk as we speak! I never thought I'd see him as our saviour!!! :shock:
Last edited by Dark Cloud on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 515 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:40 pm

Well where to start. Put simply that was embarrassing. Totally not at the races..no plan B..no fight. Rigidly stuck in this system he has us playing that once breached is rendered pointless as we have no players capable of changing things. Bardsley is a liability..that backpass..and very lucky not to be sent off..as he was against Utd. Why is Lowton on the bench?? Taylor likewise..caught out of position several times..caught ball watching. His pace saved him several times. Cork slows the game down when he gets the ball just as we need to up the tempo and move it quicker. Hendrick anonymous. Lennon likewise. Forwards totally isolated.
The worrying thing is this isn't a one off now. It seems we are stuck playing like this. Dyche needs to change up the style a little..allow a little more freedom but with the lack of creativity and pace in the side I don't know how. It all goes back to the incredibly poor transfer window.
Our biggest problem is midfield. No bite..no strength..no creativity. We seem to be getting overrun every game.
These 2 users liked this post: claretgimmer k90bfc

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times

Post by Steddyman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:42 pm

All those people asking for Sean to get sacked need to give their heads a wobble.

We are struggling because all the teams around us have spent massively to improve and we haven't. That isn't Seans fault.

If he were to go I am certain we would go down. He gets mediocre to good players playing beyond their capabilities.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 700 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:43 pm

You can't blame the board for not being able to pass the ball.
We can't even do the basics.
Totally crap performance not helped in the slightest bit by a manager who doesn't know what the f*" k to do

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Lowton did need dropping to be honest, but he’s a better player than Bardsley.

The Ward of last season is far better than Taylor, but the Ward of this season I’m not so sure. What we’re short of is someone out wide who can create, and a calming quality influence with the ball in the centre. Where can we find a couple of players like that....

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani
Been Liked: 212 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Just because the market is inflated doesn't make a team better by spending millions, last season we went to Chelsea Utd Liverpool and got points through playing good football , we need some steel and creativity in the middle

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:A lot of my frustrations are aimed at Garlick as I dont think he backs Dyche in the transfer market and is more interested in having money in the bank. Think he looks it at it as 17th is good enough every season. As long as the money is rolling in he doesnt care for what football is dished out to us fans.

I think that is a very good assessment.

In order to move the Club forward the Chairman and his Board need to look at the wages structure that they have got in place. It seems that they may be prepared to pay in the region of £25m for a player (a big amount for us) but then the personal terms offered lets us down. It is a difficult one.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Lowton appeared to get dropped because of ONE awful pass which admittedly cost us a goal. That aside he's been absolutely excellent and consistent for 2 years and is definitely better than Bardsley and I find that situation really odd. Having said that I'm not at all in favour of parting company with Sir Sean of Dyche. He's been brilliant and the mastermind behind everything that's happened to us in the past 5 years. We're having a blip, true and ultimately we may be found out rather and might even go down, BUT the guy has given us loads and loads of amazing moments over those years and I will definitely stick with him as long he believes in us and wants to stick with us. He has got more right than wrong over his time with us and that gives me confidence (I think)
But his use of substitutes has almost always been crap. :roll:

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:55 pm

NickBFC wrote:Has Dyche got a plan b? Certainly needs one.
We have never had a plan B in the Prem. Out of 60 odd games in the Prem we have won only 2 of them; that is pretty damning and suggests we have no idea on how to get back in a game once behind.
Feels like our keep it tight and nick one mentality has run its course with these players looking shot on confidence; we have no life or spark to our play, no zip and crucially square patterns; side to side and then knock it long!!
Add in a few crucial injuries (but these have been known for over a year and will continue to be a problem flogging money away on a Belgian crock for another year); a fair few has beens and ultimately some average Championship players.
Can anyone see any positives from today? Hart?

burnley007
Been Liked: 640 times
Has Liked: 673 times

Post by burnley007 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Chill out guys.
Crikey

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5049 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Our passing is embarrassing, it has been all season, even when we are not under pressure. No other team 'gives' the ball away as much as we do. Masters of our own downfall.
SD can't go on the pitch and kick the ball for them, the players need to take a hard look at themselves. The passion is there, but the guile is long gone.

hoskinsgoalatswansea
Been Liked: 115 times
Has Liked: 241 times

Post by hoskinsgoalatswansea » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Dog ****!

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Something is not right if Taylor is getting anywhere near the team when Ward is fit and Bardsley when Lowton is fit.

Think words have been said or something
This user liked this post: k90bfc

lucs86
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 631 times

Post by lucs86 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Really worrying.
We're offering nothing going forward and we're looking miles from keeping a clean sheet.
We're crying out for more quality in wide midfield and need a creative centre midfielder, it'd help us threaten, but it wouldn't stop us conceding 20+ chances against Wolves and Fulham.
We're going to need some fresh ideas from the touchline.

diamondpocket

Post by diamondpocket » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:A lot of my frustrations are aimed at Garlick as I dont think he backs Dyche in the transfer market and is more interested in having money in the bank. Think he looks it at it as 17th is good enough every season. As long as the money is rolling in he doesnt care for what football is dished out to us fans.

I think we all know he has never had a plan B highlighted by the stats of our comebacks in the Prem. Also, how many times over the years have we discussed the subs made during a game? He more often than not creates discussion about his changes and more often than not are baffling. Today's manager instead got it spot on; we were totally outsmarted; we've had 2 weeks to prepare for this game; have we not analysed them? We were ripped to shreds. Last year, we got lucky 2nd half of the season. The 1st half he got it spot on and we started to change approach and mould into a good team. Defour & Brady get injured and we were back to square one; that is poor management from all, board and coaching staff

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:17 pm

diamondpocket wrote:Can anyone see any positives from today? Hart?
A complete meltdown on here by the look of things. Under the circumstances I didn't think it was that bad.

Did we get out played, exploited and given a sound thrashing?

Yes on every count.

Could they have scored more than one?

Yes, easily.

However, I don't think people are taking into full account just how good Wolves actually are. It's easy to make the mistake of thinking they are just a newly promoted Championship side. That is definitely not what they are, they destroyed the other Championship teams last season.

Wolves are the personification of agent power and influence in the modern game of football. Thanks to Jorge Mendes they brought in a large number of quality players on try before you buy loans. Players that wouldn't normally look twice at a Championship club if they were approached individually, let alone sign up.

However, when you have an agent with a huge client list he/she can orchestrate a mass signing of players. Stacking their team with such quality pretty much ensured promotion and when the club got the cash from going up they bought those players earning Jorge a big pay day. If they stay up, and on the basis of that performance I think they will, he can go on to organise moves for more of his players. Should they bring in some top quality forwards they will be a true force.

Next stop for Jorge will probably be to do the same at Aston Villa.

In terms of playing style they carved us up with quick accurate passing that forced us to expend a lot of energy with constant positional adjustments. Then they used their pace and fearless attacking to get in behind our slower players which put us on the back foot for most of the game.

That same pace was also used to very good effect to smother our attacks as they made rapid transitions from attack to defence. None of their players seemed afraid of getting stuck in and they limited the space we had to work with when we were on the ball, which wasn't helped by some poor passing at times.

Our defence got a real workout and we conceded one goal in thirty attempts. Granted it could have easily been a couple more, but even under immense pressure we looked a lot more solid at the back.

Hart was excellent, but Tarks was outstanding. After every save Hart made Tarks cleared the follow up shot, along with a couple of extra bacon savers for good measure.

We were out paced, out classed and out played. To my mind it's a simple as that, Wolves are a very good team and we couldn't handle them this time around. Everton and Man City only managed a draw against them. I think they will give Man Utd a good game and they will certainly put pressure on their shaky defence the way we should have looked to do.

On the upside our players looked to have a bit more fight in them. It was looking like the 7th place hype had dulled our underdog spirit a bit in recent times. We still have a lot of work to do, but I don't think it's as bad a fresh start as some are making out.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

diamondpocket

Post by diamondpocket » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:27 pm

The concern though LTL is that we have had 2 weeks to prepare for this and should have known what they are about. Our style of play is mind-numbing to watch and it does look like the players, as has already been said, are just as bored as well.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8727 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:27 pm

On the way home. Stopped at services. WHU 3 1 up! Oh dear.

It was excellent defensively in the first half. Overall, dire to watch us.

Hart and Tarkowski the pick of the bunch.

Roll on next week. We need 3 points.

Not seen Naughty Madge all season!

I wonder, had we tonked Olympiacos, would there be a whole different demeanour?

Up the Clarets.

Murger

Post by Murger » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:Something is not right if Taylor is getting anywhere near the team when Ward is fit and Bardsley when Lowton is fit.

Think words have been said or something
Ahhhh do your love affair with Ward continues.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:30 pm

Murger wrote:Ahhhh do your love affair with Ward continues.

Absolutely

Murger

Post by Murger » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote: Our defence got a real workout and we conceded one goal in thirty attempts. Granted it could have easily been a couple more, but even under immense pressure we looked a lot more solid at the back.
A couple more? The game could have finished about 8-0. If that's your definition of solid defending, you're easily pleased.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:38 pm

We have needed someone with pace running down the wings for 2 seasons and putting balls across the backs have no options passing forward because Dyche has us playing too
narrow.We need an attacking coach because Dyche and Woan havent a clue about attacking foorball..God I am depressed after watching that garbage and I am on holiday in the Greek islands.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 700 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:47 pm

With the benefit of hindsight we set off with with the wrong lineup and tactics from the start.
SD went for the win and was cruelly exposed.
As soon as Wolves got into thier flow ( 20 mins ) we should have changed formation to stem the onslaught.
SD failed miserably in doing so.
It's not the board that picks the team, it's not the board that decides the tactics, it's not the board that passes the ball.

A nil nil would have done today, we blew it big style.

If we are getting ragged about the manager should act accordingly, not stick to the same ' pump it forward' ploy.

The more I anylise today's game, the more blame I lay at the managers door.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8727 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Madge not very happy.
This user liked this post: Nonayforever

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:59 pm

An idea for our dressing room refurb https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45567456

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:03 pm

The lengths they go to eh?