Taking ownership

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Taking ownership

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:03 pm

Either the board or Dyche need to come out and admit they were wrong in the transfer window.changes need to be made and somebody needs to be made accountable for it. Several on this board including myself were shot down and had replies that bordered on bullying because of our opinions.

Dont like to be proved right but sadly it seems to be coming true that we are getting to struggle.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Re: Taking ownership

Post by taio » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:06 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Either the board or Dyche need to come out and admit they were wrong in the transfer window.changes need to be made and somebody needs to be made accountable for it. Several on this board including myself were shot down and had replies that bordered on bullying because of our opinions.

Dont like to be proved right but sadly it seems to be coming true that we are getting to struggle.
The most basic of thinking to just pin it on the transfer window.

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:13 pm

taio wrote:The most basic of thinking to just pin it on the transfer window.
How?

It’s a fact.

Dyche and the board knew we could be without Robbie Brady and Steven Defour, our two most creative players for a whole host of cup and league games at the start of the season.

We’ve managed to end up with a lighter squad than last season, failed to replace outgoings.

The board have totally failed Sean Dyche and the supporters, this summer was our massive opportunity to kick on, we’ve managed to get worse, while everyone else has improved.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2218 times
Has Liked: 2207 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:17 pm

UpTheClaretsFCBK wrote:How?

It’s a fact.

Dyche and the board knew we could be without Robbie Brady and Steven Defour, our two most creative players for a whole host of cup and league games at the start of the season.

We’ve managed to end up with a lighter squad than last season, failed to replace outgoings.

The board have totally failed Sean Dyche and the supporters, this summer was our massive opportunity to kick on, we’ve managed to get worse, while everyone else has improved.
Give me an example of where the board have failed Sean Dyche?

Which player didn't come because the board wouldn't pay what he and his agent wanted?

If you can name him, should he be on tons more than the rest of the squad, thus creating disharmony and players wanting more money too?

It's far from as black and white as you make out.
This user liked this post: Claret

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:19 pm

UpTheClaretsFCBK wrote:How?

It’s a fact.

I'm thinking it's more to do with our deterioration in performance particularly defensively than the transfer window being the most significant or entire factor.

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:22 pm

I think the OP is hilariously overreacting, however i hate the 'would create disharmony' rubbish.
Pay a player what you can afford or what you think they are worth and don't worry about the snowflake reaction of the rest of the millionaires in the squad, crying because Player X has a better Lamborghini.

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:23 pm

fidelcastro wrote:Give me an example of where the board have failed Sean Dyche?

Which player didn't come because the board wouldn't pay what he and his agent wanted?

If you can name him, should he be on tons more than the rest of the squad, thus creating disharmony and players wanting more money too?

Good bit of common sense from Castro. It would be great to sign as many “tricky midfielders” and “playmakers” as we wanted but I reckon it’s not as straightforward as Fifa 18
These 2 users liked this post: fidelcastro JohnMac

hoskinsgoalatswansea
Been Liked: 115 times
Has Liked: 240 times

Post by hoskinsgoalatswansea » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:24 pm

I’ve been doing well in my job recently and subsequently got a promotion and a big pay rise. My boss told me he expects results and a return for his money. I get it,and I think that that mentality is right and justified, and I’m determined to prove the investment in me was right and worth it. Does Dyche feel the same? Or does he feel his huge salary increase is for what he did previously?

This is awful, one dimensional, lack lustre, and looks way behind what everyone else is doing.
This user liked this post: diamondpocket

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:25 pm

Braindead wrote:I think the OP is hilariously overreacting, however i hate the 'would create disharmony' rubbish.
Pay a player what you can afford or what you think they are worth and don't worry about the snowflake reaction of the rest of the millionaires in the squad, crying because Player X has a better Lamborghini.
It's not as simple as that either. Money talks and if we end up with a wage bill that we can't sustain, then it's entirely counter productive long term.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:26 pm

fidelcastro wrote:It's not as simple as that either. Money talks and if we end up with a wage bill that we can't sustain, then it's entirely counter productive long term.
Unfortunately it's apparent that it's over complicated for some people to understand.
Either that or they aren't interested in understanding it.
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:27 pm

taio wrote:The most basic of thinking to just pin it on the transfer window.
Because the transfer window sets up the season. New players coming in, sets a challenge to the existing players, refreshens the team, indicates the general direction of travel for the whole football club, it shows whether the Chairman and board truely trust and back the manager and that they are in sync. It's not isolated problem for little old Burnley, ask Mourinho if he feels Man U's window was all that. Every Chairman/Board has a choice to make, ours chose to keep the dry powder store full.

The club reached the modern day pinnacle last year in terms of results, we had a choice do we push on and travel in the same direction, or do we retreat, we made the wrong choice. The players without question put maximum effort in last season, but that will only take you so far for a short period of time, why? because players get older, all the players are one year older than the start of the season last year. We have the oldest squad in the Premier League, Dyche's style of play requires maximum effort, older players just can't sustain that effort or if they try they pick up injuries.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:30 pm

PutTheWheelieBinsOut wrote:Because the transfer window sets up the season. New players coming in, sets a challenge to the existing players, refreshens the team, indicates the general direction of travel for the whole football club, it shows whether the Chairman and board truely trust and back the manager and that they are in sync. It's not isolated problem for little old Burnley, ask Mourinho if he feels Man U's window was all that. Every Chairman/Board has a choice to make, ours chose to keep the dry powder store full.

The club reached the modern day pinnacle last year in terms of results, we had a choice do we push on and travel in the same direction, or do we retreat, we made the wrong choice. The players without question put maximum effort in last season, but that will only take you so far for a short period of time, why? because players get older, all the players are one year older than the start of the season last year. We have the oldest squad in the Premier League, Dyche's style of play requires maximum effort, older players just can't sustain that effort or if they try they pick up injuries.
Absolute guff.

Braindead

Post by Braindead » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:31 pm

fidelcastro wrote:It's not as simple as that either. Money talks and if we end up with a wage bill that we can't sustain, then it's entirely counter productive long term.
I understand that, and of course given our unique finances in Premier league terms, that makes sense and i am sure we have relegation wage cuts set up to counteract that possibility.
The point i was making was about the oft-quoted disharmony line, these guys are professional, rich players and should be able to handle a 20 goal striker potentially earning more money.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Braindead wrote:I understand that, and of course given our unique finances in Premier league terms, that makes sense and i am sure we have relegation wage cuts set up to counteract that possibility.
The point i was making was about the oft-quoted disharmony line, these guys are professional, rich players and should be able to handle a 20 goal striker potentially earning more money.
Who were you expecting? Aguero?

:shock:

Braindead

Post by Braindead » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:33 pm

fidelcastro wrote:Who were you expecting? Aguero?

:shock:
Impressive way to miss the point.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Braindead wrote:Impressive way to miss the point.
Not really. A 20 goal a season striker at Burnley in the PL would probably mean us doubling our transfer record fee, and then a wage would have to reflect that.

Unless we managed to recruit the mother of all bargains, but that doesn't happen all that often, sadly.

Braindead

Post by Braindead » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:38 pm

fidelcastro wrote:Not really. A 20 goal a season striker at Burnley in the PL would probably mean us doubling our transfer record fee, and then a wage would have to reflect that.

Unless we managed to recruit the mother of all bargains, but that doesn't happen all that often, sadly.
Ok, not a 20 goal a season striker, maybe an attacking international winger then. Somebody, anybody, to add an ounce of creativity that we just don't have.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Braindead wrote:Ok, not a 20 goal a season striker, maybe an attacking international winger then. Somebody, anybody, to add an ounce of creativity that we just don't have.
Like whom?

Braindead

Post by Braindead » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:43 pm

fidelcastro wrote:Like whom?
Are you being serious?

How the ***** should i know, i don't work in BFC recruitment. Somebody better than what we have or are you suggesting there isn't anyone available?

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Braindead wrote:Are you being serious?

How the ***** should i know, i don't work in BFC recruitment. Somebody better than what we have or are you suggesting there isn't anyone available?
Well... you sound like you know so much about it. :roll:
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1280 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:52 pm

The s**t will really hit the fan when we disclose now much Net Profit we made in next set of accounts.

Then, perhaps, we might be able to apportion blame.

dsr
Been Liked: 4573 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:30 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Either the board or Dyche need to come out and admit they were wrong in the transfer window.
I don't think that making public announcements on the lines of "our players aren't good enough and we should have replaced some of them" is ever useful for making the team play better. Moyes was master of that at Sunderland, and plenty of other managers have proved it on a smaller scale - if the manager tells his team that they're beaten before they start, then they tend to be beaten after they have finished as well.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:57 pm

We are now proving that financially we are way out of our depth at this level. Fulham & Wolves newly promoted clubs spending a billion trillion and us holding out our begging bowl.

We have to be grateful of what has been achieved and be canny and consolidate our position which I expect will happen from our board.

There wont be any fancy signings in the January transfer window, you can forget that, we will be pulling up the shutters for a spell in the championship.

I can also see Dyche resigning if we get relegated, so that will be another head ache for the board

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:19 pm

Don’t blame the gaffer, his hands are tied behind his back even if he doesnt mention it all of the time. Board are somewhat too conservative, even though today’s transfer market is a minefield. We don’t only need to spot the right player, we need to be able to get him over the line. Still believe European market is the pond we should be fishing in more.
However, things are what they are, we just need to address the issues in which we are not succeeding and follow an alternative route.
Nothing better than a (minor) crisis to see who the real leaders are

UTC
These 2 users liked this post: Stayingup DCWat

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:38 pm

fidelcastro wrote:Give me an example of where the board have failed Sean Dyche?

Jay Rodriguez?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:41 pm

[quote="Belgianclaret"]Don’t blame the gaffer, his hands are tied behind his back even if he doesnt mention it all of the time. Board are somewhat too conservative, even though today’s transfer market is a minefield. We don’t only need to spot the right player, we need to be able to get him over the line. Still believe European market is the pond we should be fishing in more.
However, things are what they are, we just need to address the issues in which we are not succeeding and follow an alternative route.
Nothing better than a (minor) crisis to see who the real leaders are

It's clearly Dyche who isn't willing to sign players from overseas or non British players. I'm sure the board would prefer us to sign players from other markets given the bargains to be had. He's as much to blame for our recruitment problems as the Board.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:46 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Either the board or Dyche need to come out and admit they were wrong in the transfer window.changes need to be made and somebody needs to be made accountable for it. Several on this board including myself were shot down and had replies that bordered on bullying because of our opinions.

Nobody needs to come out and say anything. The only reason you want them to is so you can claim it proves you were rigjt and smugly tell everyone so.

Claim as much as you like that you "don't like to be proved right" but your ego must currently be the same size as the hard on that our current poor run is giving you.
Last edited by TheFamilyCat on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:00 pm

listen to the Turf More show on Clarets Player (sign up for free) and all your answers are there. He talks about the injuries to key players, who expected to be back for the start of the season, and about the missed transfers we wanted. He isn't going to name names of our targets or put the blame on anyone but it is clear we had targets, didnt get them and had further injuries to our 2 most creative players. we are now paying for it slightly with the players looking tired & lacking confidence, after the european adventure, and some of the 2nd string playing.