Watford & Southampton in the first half of both games

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Watford & Southampton in the first half of both games

Post by Spijed » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:24 pm

We attacked both teams, had chances and looked quite good.

What's different?

watsonsclarets
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 121 times

Re: Watford & Southampton in the first half of both games

Post by watsonsclarets » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:27 pm

I think teams have learned that if you do not press us we do not know how to go through teams so you can save energy and not press us because we seem to lack the quality to go through or round sides.

Last year the small margins where sides going at us but this year we are making a few more mistakes and sides know we are not going to hurt them in possession.

If you set up a low block against us it creates much more space and teams generally have slightly better quality going forward than we do currently and of course we are making more fundamental MISTAKES.

I also think we're going a bit longer and the distance between the lines are bigger both offensively and defensively because of the lower/mid block engagement doesn't allow us the time to get back into the formation/framework as quick.
Last edited by watsonsclarets on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:29 pm

watsonsclarets wrote:I think teams have learned that if you do not press us we do not know how to go through teams so you can save energy and not press us because we seem to lack the quality to go through or round sides.

Last year the small margins where sides going at us but this year we are making a few more mistakes and sides know we are not going to hurt them in possession.

If you set up a low block against us it creates much more space and teams generally have slightly better quality going forward than we do currently and of course we are making more fundamental MISTAKES.
But those games were THIS season!

watsonsclarets
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 121 times

Post by watsonsclarets » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:33 pm

Spijed wrote:But those games were THIS season!
I understand that but Ings made the difference at Southampton we retreated and never got out. Watford was two avoidable goals and they sat back and people have taken notice. Look at today how many times did they win the ball in the low/mid block and we were caught. I think we are generally playing higher up the pitch.

I think the average sides have got better and have game changers and we have stood still. I may be wrong but we have seen our Central Defenders more exposed in the first 5 games than most of last season.
Last edited by watsonsclarets on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckypad
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 274 times

Post by Chuckypad » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:35 pm

Spijed wrote:We attacked both teams, had chances and looked quite good.

What's different?
We don't attack teams, don't create chances and look s/hit