Still not the greatest performance...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
colne-claret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Still not the greatest performance...

Post by colne-claret » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:11 pm

But we smashed another reasonably in form premier league team. We still have two key players to come back from injury. We looked twice as good defensively. We showed passion. Lennon was a handful.

There's even more to come!

UTC.
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure burnleymik

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Re: Still not the greatest performance...

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:00 pm

Sorry but what do you expect. From what we have served up so far this season that performance was majestic. We played through the middle as well as down the flanks. We switched play from one side to the other quickly (JBG being main instigator of this). Defensively we didn't concede. Midfield were wanting the ball and bar a 20 min spell in the 2nd half they didn't sit too deep. Lowton was back and gave us the overlapping option which we miss so much when he isn't playing. Vydra has finally shown us what a number 10 player plays like.

All positives going forward and from Brady and Defour ready to walk straight back in when fit they now have a battle on their hands to get the jersey.
These 3 users liked this post: burnleymik Siddo ontario claret

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:01 pm

sorry re read your post and not as bad as I first thought.....apologies

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:07 pm

Don’t normally like Gary Birtles summarising but he was spot on today.
We were dropping far to deep and not challenging them in midfield. It might have been the game plan but it tested the sphincter at times. His main complaint was us standing off and letting them get simple crosses into our box.
On the ball we were a massive improvement and both JBG & Lennon ran at their markers, so good to see.
This user liked this post: Stayingup

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:16 pm

Second half we did roughly what we've done defensively with huge success for two years, albeit we're still not quite at our best - sat deep, allowed teams to have the ball in front of us, and at times wide of us, but not behind or through us. It's generally been a sound play and it was again today, whatever Garry Birtles might say. We weren't quite as composed as we are at our best, and Taylor is still a bit of a worry, but that's beginning to split hairs. The only time Bournemouth got into a really threatening position was when Wilson made a clear back for Tarks and the ref failed to give a pretty obvious foul.

In possession, we were much better today, but in truth the first half was a nip/tuck game and either side could have got the opening goal. The difference today was we got the first goal, and we've always been better defending a lead than chasing a goal - and it also had the effect of bring confidence back into the team. Second half we were pretty comfortable, and we showed good quality when we got the chance to counter (Vokes and Wood had the two clearest chances of the half apart from the two goals and the chance for Brooks I mentioned - it wasn't one way traffic at all.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 498 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:32 pm

I'd pretty much agree with all of that (Claretspice above). The first goal is pivotal to the way we play and we look much more solid with something to defend. It wasn't quite at last season's levels but a huge transformation from a week ago and a really important confidence booster ahead of two games where we should be looking for six points to get things properly back on track.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:34 pm

A great result however not a true reflection of the game, but that’s the way games go sometimes. It left me thinking “what will we be capable of when we play really well?”

I believe that will happen. These players work really hard for Sean. We fans have to support them and enjoy the improvements that will come! UTC!
This user liked this post: ontario claret

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:42 pm

Don't think any team in the PL (City or Liverpool apart) can expect to be in full control for 90 minutes. Started reasonable, then had a very flat period and got the goals. You'd expect us to come under pressure but we still kept creating chances (Vokes and Wood). Stayed strong and stretched them for the next two. Can't ask for anymore. The difference was the wide players who were certainly more up for it which showed in their defensive work. Last week both JBG and Lennon were weak yet today both were involved both in attack and defence. They played a big part in the goals and we're winning tackles especially when Lennon sprinted back to make a tackle on the edge of our box.

More of the same please.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:16 pm

I felt that we were in control of the game even in the second half when we didn't see much of the ball. Dyche knows this side is capable of defending a one goal lead so, despite our poor form, we were always going to look to sit and and defend the two goal lead. Credit to Howe, because with 20 mins to go he threw all caution to the wind and basically decided that there would be a third goal one way or another, and fortunately we got it.

Agree with spice though that the first goal is crucial and something we haven't got so far this season. Fine margins as Dyche says. Committing men forwards in the late counter attacks was a joy to watch though and Lennon seemed to be brimming with confidence after his goal which could prove to make a big difference this season.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:17 pm

The scoreline certainly flattered us, but we defended our goal like Burnley, and we were abnormally clinical in front of goal.

I enjoyed it!

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:20 pm

scouseclaret wrote:The scoreline certainly flattered us, but we defended our goal like Burnley, and we were abnormally clinical in front of goal.

I enjoyed it!
Not sure the scoreline was too flattering. All of our goals were really good chances which we would have been expected to take. Vokes and Wood also came very close. Maybe Bournemouth deserved a goal but for all their attacking play they didn't threaten much.
This user liked this post: Siddo

mill hill claret
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by mill hill claret » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:51 pm

Lennon fantastic today ..my man of the match
...great performances from every single player ..very happy having a few cans UP THE CLARETS

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:57 pm

The worst type of praise is well done but..... What on earth is there to criticise about today's performance? I give up.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:36 pm

If we can beat a Premier league team 4-0 while not being at our best,this bodes well once we hit our stride.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:05 am

scouseclaret wrote:The scoreline certainly flattered us, but we defended our goal like Burnley, and we were abnormally clinical in front of goal.

I enjoyed it!
I dont think it flattered us, we were better by far, the radio 5 reporter was asking dyche how it felt getting in front after they had been dominant. I was thinking WHEN ? dyche told her she must have been the only person on the match that thought that.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:51 am

tiger76 wrote:If we can beat a Premier league team 4-0 while not being at our best,this bodes well once we hit our stride.

this

califclaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 116 times

Post by califclaret » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:53 pm

Dont Doubt Dyche

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:22 pm

Was my greatest performance after watching some of our other games this season. Yesterdays victory was a breath of fresh air and gave the lads and the fans confidence on the way forwards.
With Cardiff and Huddersfield coming up yesterdays win could not have come at a better time

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:41 pm

Rileybobs wrote:I felt that we were in control of the game even in the second half when we didn't see much of the ball. Dyche knows this side is capable of defending a one goal lead so, despite our poor form, we were always going to look to sit and and defend the two goal lead. Credit to Howe, because with 20 mins to go he threw all caution to the wind and basically decided that there would be a third goal one way or another, and fortunately we got it.

Agree with spice though that the first goal is crucial and something we haven't got so far this season. Fine margins as Dyche says. Committing men forwards in the late counter attacks was a joy to watch though and Lennon seemed to be brimming with confidence after his goal which could prove to make a big difference this season.
Your right there. The goal seemed to lift Lennon. He looked far better than what we have seen so far from him. But wingers are often in and out.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:59 pm

It was just nice to see us be ourselves again.

When we play like that we are a really good side.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:21 pm

The performance was much better but I’d still say that Saints away for the first hour was the best performance (if not result). Watford first half was also better.

Definitely moving in the right direction. Gonna be interesting to see how we shoehorn Defour and Brady in but we need our best players in the team