I know nothing about football

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

I know nothing about football

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:11 am

Stunned to hear Gudmansson was mom today, my man was Lennon by a mile, I will be honest, JBG did not stand out, I barely noticed him.
Seen the televised highlights though and realised what a contribution he made, shocked me a bit.
His touch, passes, insight were wonderful.I was intent on wanting a strong performance, missed his efforts at the turf, and know why I am a crap with players ratings.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Re: I know nothing about football

Post by SGr » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:19 am

2 sides to it really. On one hand, highlights reels show only half the story, a game is 90 minutes long and by picking out just a few clips players’ overall performances can be exaggerated.

On the other hand, the fact JBG was able to influence the game so much even in spite of an “average” performance otherwise shows how important he was/is.
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:24 am

I also previously despised Hart before he was one of ours, I love tom heaton, think he was best in the league, but hart has been incredible, not just adequate, but phenomenal

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:15 am

Its harder to judge it properly when you are watching your own team live. You are too in the moment. And not looking at the bigger picture most of the time.

I actually cant remember seeing Cork touch the ball yesterday but apparently he did well!

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:18 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:Stunned to hear Gudmansson was mom today, my man was Lennon by a mile, I will be honest, JBG did not stand out, I barely noticed him.
Seen the televised highlights though and realised what a contribution he made, shocked me a bit.
His touch, passes, insight were wonderful.I was intent on wanting a strong performance, missed his efforts at the turf, and know why I am a crap with players ratings.
Are you MRG in disguise...given you know nothing about football

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:41 am

The stats tell us everything we need to know. You are quick to shout about stats involving Taylor but ignore the comparable stats for Ward. It’s a fact that of Wards last 10 starts for Burnley we have won only 1 game in 90mins.

Compared to his previous 10 starts there is a marked difference in results when Ward is involved. Dyche has seen this and replaced him with Taylor!

We are now hearing his knees have gone and he’s relying on injections which prove my point further.
This user liked this post: andysisson

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani
Been Liked: 212 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:48 am

I too was surprised at jgb getting mom, I usually bang on about how good he is but not yesterday , I think it was because Lennon finally showed us what he could do , so was my main focus , having said that I gave Westwood mom!

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:51 am

Gudmundsson was my man of the match immediately after the game. Without his endeavour, tenacity and superb delivery, we might well have gone into the 2nd half at 0-0 and who knows!!!?? From shaky memory, Bournemouth were having an excellent spell prior to our first goal. Gudmundsson is integral to our success.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Guddy might have given himself a kick up the ar se for his part in the goal Wolves scored last Sunday. It all helps.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:28 pm

He deserved MOM for bringing in the ball down so well on the wing for the first goal.
Then striking the ball so well first time for the third goal that hot the post.
Shows he has got his confidence back.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:He deserved MOM for bringing in the ball down so well on the wing for the first goal.
Then striking the ball so well first time for the third goal that hot the post.
Shows he has got his confidence back.
Confidence allied to or more likely shaped by his `disappointing` World Cup and subsequent lack of match fitness.

He certainly is a good `un!

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:33 pm

Gudmundsson was back to what we saw last season. Not just offensively but his work rate off the ball was miles better than it has been previously this season.

Lennon seemed to have been released a little and it didn’t half show in his performance. I love to see wingers getting to the byline and we benefitted from them both doing that.

I’m far from a Westwood fan but he had a decent game yesterday, especially in the 2nd half. He was fantastic for the fourth goal.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:41 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:Stunned to hear Gudmansson was mom today, my man was Lennon by a mile, I will be honest, JBG did not stand out, I barely noticed him.
If you have not noticed the referee in a game it’s sometimes said he must have had a good game.

Can the same be said about players?

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:41 pm

Darnhill Claret wrote:Guddy might have given himself a kick up the ar se for his part in the goal Wolves scored last Sunday. It all helps.
In his pre match press conference Dyche mentioned he'd had a quiet word with a few players. Based on yesterday's performances you would hazard a guess it was JBG and Lennon. JBG was a lot more competitive in the challenge first half and Lennon made a great slide tackle on edge of our box. Both were a threat and delivered some quality which is why we won 4-0. Let's hope we get some consistency and kick on.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:51 pm

Nothing in it between Lennon and JBG for MoM but for me Lennon just shaded it.
Hart played very well again. He does stay on his line too much though - but similar to Tom actually. Just shows to me how good Nick Pope was last year - he was easily our best playing and coming out and commanding your area like he did and catching the ball instead of punching it has been a big miss this year I think.
Nick Pope was one of the best 3 keepers in the division last season which given the competition is pretty incredible.
The 3 keepers we have at the club is insane - I can’t remember a club in the league ever having 2 keepers as good as ours let alone 3.

gc14
Been Liked: 86 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by gc14 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Thought Lennon was pretty poor until his goal, then it seemed like a weight had been lifted,
A totally different player with a bit of confidence ..

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:15 pm

I gave it to JBG, I think Lennons late contribution to Barnes goals pushed him up a lot, before that no one had come near Gudmundson.
Lennon had a great game, which just got better as the match went on.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:06 pm

Well, about 18 months ago you tried to tell me that you thought Darikwa was better than Trippier, so.....
These 2 users liked this post: bfcmik Wile E Coyote

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:42 pm

Mom Jbg we are a very good side when he pulls the strings.Made two goals and overall a great contribution to our thrashing of Eddies Darlings

Sean Dyche's Watch
Been Liked: 233 times

Post by Sean Dyche's Watch » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:22 am

The man of the match award is no longer given to the best player on the pitch that day, but it is given to who the match sponsors want to meet after the game. I don't take any notice of the tannoy announcement for this any more.