Golf

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Golf

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:18 pm

Why on earth is this filling up so much airtime?

Its a game for old men who need an excuse to get out from a whinging wife!

The Ryder Cup as to be the most overrated 'sporting' event after The Ashes. And I use the term sporting very loosely. I probably exerted more energy typing this post than you would on a round of golf!

It should be confined to The Nat Geo channel or whatever channel it is that shows 'extreme' fishing!
These 6 users liked this post: Wile E Coyote Siddo tim_noone Stalbansclaret bfcjg Wo Didi

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Re: Golf

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:27 pm

Probably because it's very popular.

If you don't like, don't watch it.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:28 pm

i detest it too, always have, its a class thing I suppose, but my memories are of smug oafs mainly boorish sportsmans dinner , cigar smoking types, car salesmen, with overstretched vee necked jumpers and hideous pants.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:29 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Probably because it's very popular.

If you don't like, don't watch it.
Should be on an appropriate channel for starters.

colner
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by colner » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:30 pm

am with u there Wile,would rather boil my head than associate with any golf types

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:32 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Should be on an appropriate channel for starters.
Like Sky Sports Golf, for example?
These 2 users liked this post: joey13 DBSport

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:32 pm

its similar to rugby union and american sports, the cliques that operate in the media partake, therefore it will be covered and made to sound like its an event, whereas in fact it is deadly dull. The fawning , herds that wander about like hippos, applauding 2inch putts are idiots too.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Stalbansclaret

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:33 pm

ive never met anyone i liked that is involved with golf.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4183 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:39 pm

I imagine Coyote is listening to live commentary on talksport.. then complaining how crap the station is, then complaining how crap golf is, then logging on here to say the same and then going back to talksport to listen some more.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:42 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:ive never met anyone i liked that is involved with golf.
I look forward to meeting you :D

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:46 pm

Too many crap sports with a bat and ball. They need to decide the rules properly and just have the one.

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:51 pm

Dyched wrote:Too many crap sports with a bat and ball. They need to decide the rules properly and just have the one.
Take cricket. The bowler as to hit the ball with a tennis racket ober the net. The batter can choose what club he wants and needs to hit it in the hole before the bowler runs round the entire outfield.

Wimbledon, the ashes, ryder cup, world series can all be played at the same time. Brilliant.

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:07 pm

:(
Wile E Coyote wrote:its similar to rugby union and american sports, the cliques that operate in the media partake, therefore it will be covered and made to sound like its an event, whereas in fact it is deadly dull. The fawning , herds that wander about like hippos, applauding 2inch putts are idiots too.
plus this post..

'I detest it too, always have, its a class thing I suppose, but my memories are of smug oafs mainly boorish sportsmans dinner , cigar smoking types, car salesmen, with overstretched vee necked jumpers and hideous pants.'

Wile..from your posts on here and previously, just what sort of shyte life are you having?
Do you enjoy anything?

Your posts are a non-stop whinge and bitch fest..you hate golf, you hate rugby, you detest much of the music that gets mentioned on here./.

You appear to have a pretty joyless, unfulfilled existence with few positive things going on for you.

I feel sorry for you to be in that state.

There is help out there if you seek it.

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:11 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Why on earth is this filling up so much airtime?

The Ryder Cup as to be the most overrated 'sporting' event after The Ashes. And I use the term sporting very loosely. I probably exerted more energy typing this post than you would on a round of golf!

It should be confined to The Nat Geo channel or whatever channel it is that shows 'extreme' fishing!
fantastic sport that is with you for a life time. I actually feel sorry for anyone who doesnt play. Amazing sport thats extremely cheap to play these days.
This user liked this post: icu81b4

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2530 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:13 pm

It's not compulsory to watch it. However, for those that do enjoy the sport it will be 3 days of compulsive viewing and then it's all over.

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:i detest it too, always have, its a class thing I suppose, but my memories are of smug oafs mainly boorish sportsmans dinner , cigar smoking types, car salesmen, with overstretched vee necked jumpers and hideous pants.
Trousers like an American tourist !

Golf is an excellent game. It's the other golfers that are the problem.

How do you know someone has a low handicap? Because they keep telling you !! :x
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:27 pm

The BBC Governors must play a lot of golf - that's the only excuse I can think of for the overkill on 5Live this morning. They were trying desperately to make it exciting - " he strides forward purposefully now with a look of determination" - no actually he's just going to pick up his ball

Don't get it myself but golf fans must absolutely love this weekend - enjoy!

Now Crazy Golf - that is a sport!

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:31 pm

Not watched the Ryder Cup since 2012, which to be fair, I thought was very entertaining. But that's because it's the best Ryder Cup there's ever been.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:51 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:I imagine Coyote is listening to live commentary on talksport.. then complaining how crap the station is, then complaining how crap golf is, then logging on here to say the same and then going back to talksport to listen some more.
wrong on all counts except the bit about posting on here, because the title of the post is .....golf

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:55 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote::(

plus this post..

'I detest it too, always have, its a class thing I suppose, but my memories are of smug oafs mainly boorish sportsmans dinner , cigar smoking types, car salesmen, with overstretched vee necked jumpers and hideous pants.'

Wile..from your posts on here and previously, just what sort of shyte life are you having?
Do you enjoy anything?

Your posts are a non-stop whinge and bitch fest..you hate golf, you hate rugby, you detest much of the music that gets mentioned on here./.

You appear to have a pretty joyless, unfulfilled existence with few positive things going on for you.

I feel sorry for you to be in that state.

There is help out there if you seek it.
You used a term "bitch fest"

That alone shows you for what you are, populist, **** talk from a nonentity.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:07 pm

It would be much better if sport TV was restricted to talking about the Premier League and more importantly the top 6 football teams in this country.

The weekly repetitive press conferences and over disecting of every minor event on a loop is compelling viewing.

This is no more so that during the transfer window when they start to shout out make up news and use lots of graphics to show things that aren't actually happening or ever likely to happen.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:25 pm

CC on one of his big fishing trips again ?
Golf is one of the most watched and participated sports in the world.....and is played across all generations.

Have a look up Townley any day of the week and tell me exactly what is wrong with people actively playing a sport they enjoy and getting in a 4 mile walk as exercise aswell ?

How can it be a bad thing when you have over 65 men and women getting great exercise and also being socially active for something that costs them very little ?

It’s absolutely fine to say you do not like golf. Just don’t watch it or play it. But why do you think there is so much TV coverage ? Why do you think there is more prize money in golf than any other individual sport in the world ?
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:51 pm

the lad posted about golf on a messageboard, so it stands to reason people are going to comment one way or the other, there is ALWAYS the mob who churn out "don't watch it then...turn off the TV, missing a point aren't you ?

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:52 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:its similar to rugby union and american sports, the cliques that operate in the media partake, therefore it will be covered and made to sound like its an event, whereas in fact it is deadly dull. The fawning , herds that wander about like hippos, applauding 2inch putts are idiots too.
Nothing like Rugby or 'American Sports'. It's boring as hell on the radio though.

Longsidelenny
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Longsidelenny » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:59 pm

G o l f my understanding gentlemen only ladies forbidden that’s how it should be
This user liked this post: charlyt

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:02 pm

If you dont like it dont watch it Cricket field simple...stop spoiling it for people who do...i expect there are things you like that I detest...but if you like it fair enough.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:09 pm

The Enclosure wrote:If you dont like it dont watch it Cricket field simple...stop spoiling it for people who do...i expect there are things you like that I detest...but if you like it fair enough.

haha, how daft can you get? that's like me saying "If you don't like this post, don't read it

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3335 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:27 pm

It is a point worth making that traditionally the Ryder cup was a match between Britain and the U.S. but because we were so rubbish and couldn't win to save our lives and never ever looked like winning, it was widened to include Europe on our side and make it more competitive. So for that reason I think it's a bit rubbish really.

exilecanada
Been Liked: 235 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by exilecanada » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:37 pm

I’m guessing you’ve never tried or played golf? Just for fun, try hitting a stationary ball. Chances are you’ll miss the ball completely, and the chances of hitting your target are probably zero. It’s arguably the most difficult game to play without making a total berk of yourself!

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:54 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:It is a point worth making that traditionally the Ryder cup was a match between Britain and the U.S. but because we were so rubbish and couldn't win to save our lives and never ever looked like winning, it was widened to include Europe on our side and make it more competitive. So for that reason I think it's a bit rubbish really.
Not really that accurate a history of how it happened. More to do with the likes of Seve becoming best golfer in the world and quite rightly saying that it was time the rest of Europe should be part of it. At the same time the event needed a shake up as it was really not that popular with fans, TV or the players - partly as you say because it was pretty one sided. It was the right decision aswell because since Europe joined it has just become bigger every time and is now a huge global event.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:04 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:haha, how daft can you get? that's like me saying "If you don't like this post, don't read it
Not really like that at all - CC knows he does not like golf already so why moan about it ? It’s on every week on sky sports from Thursday to Sunday from early morning to after midnight so not exactly a new phenomenon to sky subscribers. There is also another 300 plus channels to watch if you don’t like it.

Whereas how does anybody know they do not like your post until they have read it ?!!!

If I hated football I am not going to post on here on FA Cup Final day and ask why are TV devoting so much time to football, it’s just a bunch of over paid foreigners kicking a bag of wind etc etc.

What I don’t understand is how someone can genuinely say they do not understand why a person can like something just because they don’t....what is the difference between this thread and starting a thread about not understanding why people don’t like eggs or Spain or football ?!!!

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:06 pm

I know lots of working class men who adopt a persona of the elitist snob when it comes to playing golf.....I personally like golf but the working class oik playing it have this air of superiority. All yellow jumpers and ten bob millionaires.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Siddo

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:35 pm

tim_noone wrote:I know lots of working class men who adopt a persona of the elitist snob when it comes to playing golf.....I personally like golf but the working class oik playing it have this air of superiority. All yellow jumpers and ten bob millionaires.
I can't stand those type of folk either but it does not stop me playing because I love golf - not as much as I love playing football which I have for more than 40 years and still do but I know pretty soon I won't be able to carry on...whereas with golf touch wood I've got a few more years playing.

My attitude to the type of people who you refer to is that if any of them treat me in the slightest way with an air of superiority I take great pleasure in tearing a strip off them !!

There are lots of folk who play golf who are nothing like that though - you would be surprised some of the lads who play golf and have done for years. I know a lad who was an absolute nutter when he played football and also regularly got into trouble in the pubs in town and following Burnley. He's a brilliant golfer and plays off about 3 or 4 handicap - he's quiet as a mouse on the golf course and you will often just see him playing a round on his own.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1664 times
Has Liked: 2974 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:36 pm

Golf is a good game to play but the culture of the sport...the whole middle aged, middle-class Daily Mail-types bad-trousered bore-fest ..is grim imo. Also, as with the truly turgid Grand Prix, I hate how the Davis Cup is allowed to totally dominate Radio 5 and knacker the normal enjoyable scheduling. Hell of a lot of hype and over-enthusiasm exhibited by Radio 5 journos in the days building up to it too.
Odd to see the type of people who frequent Home Counties golf clubs getting enthusiastic over support for Europe at the present time too.

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:39 pm

exilecanada wrote:I’m guessing you’ve never tried or played golf? Just for fun, try hitting a stationary ball. Chances are you’ll miss the ball completely, and the chances of hitting your target are probably zero. It’s arguably the most difficult game to play without making a total berk of yourself!
This is so true. It’s such a tough sport you have the likes of woods winning 1 cup in 5 years considered one of the best americans at it and McIlroy who plays shite every cup considered one of the best europeans. If I played golf Id be the best within a fortnight

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:47 pm

TVC15 wrote:Why do you think there is more prize money in golf than any other individual sport in the world ?
Simply not true.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:48 pm

exilecanada wrote:I’m guessing you’ve never tried or played golf? Just for fun, try hitting a stationary ball. Chances are you’ll miss the ball completely, and the chances of hitting your target are probably zero. It’s arguably the most difficult game to play without making a total berk of yourself!
Its that hard that pensioners play it! Try kicking a ball at 78!

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:49 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Simply not true.
Which individual sport has more prize money than golf ?
And before you say - its not Tennis !

Individual sport as in not team sport btw

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:50 pm

I mean come on. Golf. Its that good they had to reinvent it and bring out 'crazy' golf. Much like cricket having to reinvent itself with 2020.

Its boring. And its not a sport. There is no physical exertion whatsoever and very limited skill.

Predominantly played by saddos and sleazy car salesmen!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:52 pm

TVC15 wrote:Which individual sport has more prize money than golf ?
And before you say - its not Tennis !

Individual sport as in not team sport btw
Is the caddy not part of the team?
This user liked this post: tim_noone

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:53 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:Golf is a good game to play but the culture of the sport...the whole middle aged, middle-class Daily Mail-types bad-trousered bore-fest ..is grim imo. Also, as with the truly turgid Grand Prix, I hate how the Davis Cup is allowed to totally dominate Radio 5 and knacker the normal enjoyable scheduling. Hell of a lot of hype and over-enthusiasm exhibited by Radio 5 journos in the days building up to it too.
Odd to see the type of people who frequent Home Counties golf clubs getting enthusiastic over support for Europe at the present time too.
Well said!

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:53 pm

F1 seems quite a lucrative sport.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:53 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Its that hard that pensioners play it! Try kicking a ball at 78!
A pensioner can kick a ball at 78....he just can't participate in a game of football because it involves a bit more than being able to kick a ball.

I would bet good money that many of the pensioners who play golf at Townley would be better golfers than many young people. Your response to that is no doubt because its an easy sport which is a long long way from the truth.

Are you being deliberately ignorant ?
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:55 pm

TVC15 wrote:A pensioner can kick a ball at 78....he just can't participate in a game of football because it involves a bit more than being able to kick a ball.

I would bet good money that many of the pensioners who play golf at Townley would be better golfers than many young people. Your response to that is no doubt because its an easy sport which is a long long way from the truth.

Are you being deliberately ignorant ?
There we are nailed it. If you can be better at 70 odd than 20 odd it simply cannot be a sport. Its impossible! Your body at 40 isnt as strong or quick or resillient as at 20. Never mind 70!!!
This user liked this post: tim_noone

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:56 pm

Spijed wrote:F1 seems quite a lucrative sport.
Correct. As is Tennis. As is Poker.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:56 pm

Spijed wrote:F1 seems quite a lucrative sport.
Yes it is - but the prize money is nowhere near golf because there are far fewer events and far fewer players. There are at least 4 major tours across different continents with huge prize money on all of them.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:59 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Correct. As is Tennis. As is Poker.
As said Tennis does not have anywhere as much prize money golf.
So you think "cards" is a sport and golf isn't ?....really ?

And even if I go along with poker being a sport nowhere near the prize money of golf.
Just do your own research of prize money on the PGA tour every week or the Asian tour....or the European tour.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:00 pm

TVC15 wrote:Yes it is - but the prize money is nowhere near golf because there are far fewer events and far fewer players. There are at least 4 major tours across different continents with huge prize money on all of them.
Golfers make more money from endorsements than from prize money.

Lewis Hamilton made far more in prize money than any golfer last year.

Not that F1 is really a sport.

Tell me a golfer who has made more in prize money for one event than Connor McGregor did for fighting Floyd Mayweather - and he isnt even a pro boxer!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:01 pm

TVC15 wrote:As said Tennis does not have anywhere as much prize money golf.
So you think "cards" is a sport and golf isn't ?....really ?

And even if I go along with poker being a sport nowhere near the prize money of golf.
Just do your own research of prize money on the PGA tour every week or the Asian tour....or the European tour.
I was being facetious with poker. Which is as much of a sport as Golf, Darts, Snooker, Cricket and anything else that you can and usually do play under the influence.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:02 pm

Oh. And Burnley earnt more in prize money than Ajax, PSV Eindhoven, Feyenoord, Benfica, Porto and Sporting Lisbon COMBINED last year. Clearly we are better. And bigger. And more important...