ignorance of Nigel Farage exposed

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
burnleymik
Been Liked: 1172 times
Has Liked: 2920 times

Re: ignorance of Nigel Farage exposed

Post by burnleymik » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:01 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Again, I listen to experts who know what they are talking about.

Is there any reason to believe you or Ringo over someone who is a trade expert?

None whatsoever I'm afraid.

Not saying you should, but if people still take all these experts seriously, after all we have seen in the last few years, then maybe it's a case of "fool me once"....

SmudgetheClaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:02 am

How was he exposed? he just answered her which is unusual for a politician , the problem with remainers is they bleat on about how bad it will be when we leave but never give us the benefits of staying in maybe they are happy with the way things are in the UK ...

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6963 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:05 am

SmudgetheClaret wrote:How was he exposed? he just answered her which is unusual for a politician , the problem with remainers is they bleat on about how bad it will be when we leave but never give us the benefits of staying in maybe they are happy with the way things are in the UK ...
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. Most remainers probably were happy with the way things were in the UK before the referendum. I certainly was.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:06 am

SmudgetheClaret wrote:How was he exposed? he just answered her which is unusual for a politician , the problem with remainers is they bleat on about how bad it will be when we leave but never give us the benefits of staying in maybe they are happy with the way things are in the UK ...
The. Benefits. Are. That. We. Avoid. All. The. Bad. Stuff. You. Dumb. ****.

Bdc
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Bdc » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:50 am

Farage is an idiot

SmudgetheClaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:52 am

I bet you wore 2 nappies at a time just in case as you just don't know what could happen..

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:58 am

Bdc wrote:Farage is an idiot
fair enough, but what have you based this opinion on?

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:40 am

Bdc wrote:Farage is an idiot
An idiot or just someone or disagree with?

Clearly the mans not an idiot, he’s achieved more in life than the likes of yourself for example.
This user liked this post: burnleymik

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:27 am

Right_winger wrote:An idiot or just someone or disagree with?

Clearly the mans not an idiot, he’s achieved more in life than the likes of yourself for example.
What has he achieved?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:52 am

To be fair, its a hell of an achievement getting enough people not to realise you are thick ex-banker who lies all the time.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:29 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:To be fair, its a hell of an achievement getting enough people not to realise you are thick ex-banker who lies all the time.
It's pretty easy to convince lazy thinkers that their lazy thought is correct.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:55 am

Right_winger wrote:
How do you know?
Some ordinary people have achieved some remarkable things.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4263 times

Post by Greenmile » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:17 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:You want to believe it, your mind is already made up, some people will for want of a better word gullible. The media portray UKIP in the worst possible light & it’s inaccurate.
Hi Jakub

Are you going to tell me which parts of the articles I linked earlier are inaccurate and only for the gullible? They were all pretty widely reported.

It seems to me that it’s a bit more gullible to believe the cries of “fake news” and “biased MSM” that your political heroes like to use, without actually checking that the MSM have got it wrong first.

Thanks in advance.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:28 pm

So true! :)

https://www.facebook.com/bbcthree/video ... DYwNTc4Mw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:19 pm

Oh good. We've got Jeremy Hunt making a fool out of himself and the country by comparing the EU to the Soviet Union. He's our senior diplomat. And by the way, Stalin killed fifty million of his own people, don't you know?

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Greenmile wrote:Hi Jakub

Are you going to tell me which parts of the articles I linked earlier are inaccurate and only for the gullible? They were all pretty widely reported.

It seems to me that it’s a bit more gullible to believe the cries of “fake news” and “biased MSM” that your political heroes like to use, without actually checking that the MSM have got it wrong first.

Thanks in advance.
When you curtail your unhealthy obsession regarding polish citizens & ducks (tbf your not on your own in that respect) & demonstrate a willingness to engage in a constructive sensible manner.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:31 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:When you curtail your unhealthy obsession regarding polish citizens & ducks (tbf your not on your own in that respect) & demonstrate a willingness to engage in a constructive sensible manner.
Fair enough. I think I might have missed the “duck” thing though, tbh, although I’ve seen the odd reference to it.

I suspect you’ve realised that all the links I posted relate to obviously true stories that are backed up by video evidence (not just someone’s YouTube blog) and / or were admitted by the protagonists themselves, which makes you look a bit silly when you dismiss them as fake news and have the gall to suggest that I was gullible for believing them.

Fake news to you (and many with your political outlook) just seems to be “stuff that doesn’t confirm my preconceptions”. I suppose it makes life easier when you can choose what to believe based on whether you want it to be true or not, rather than facts and stuff.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:35 pm

The collapse of evidence and fact based thinking as opposed to "I don't care, its what I believe" is one of the biggest dangers to democracy you can have.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:46 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:The collapse of evidence and fact based thinking as opposed to "I don't care, its what I believe" is one of the biggest dangers to democracy you can have.
Not just democracy either.

Our health (anti-vaxxers causing outbreaks of diseases) and education (creationists trying to ban the teaching of evolution) are also suffering as a result of this "feelz before realz" (as I believe the kidz say) way of looking at life.

Just a couple of examples off the top of my head, but I'm sure it affects all sort of things in various (but almost exclusively negative) ways.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:49 pm

Greenmile wrote:Fair enough. I think I might have missed the “duck” thing though, tbh, although I’ve seen the odd reference to it.

I suspect you’ve realised that all the links I posted relate to obviously true stories that are backed up by video evidence (not just someone’s YouTube blog) and / or were admitted by the protagonists themselves, which makes you look a bit silly when you dismiss them as fake news and have the gall to suggest that I was gullible for believing them.

Fake news to you (and many with your political outlook) just seems to be “stuff that doesn’t confirm my preconceptions”. I suppose it makes life easier when you can choose what to believe based on whether you want it to be true or not, rather than facts and stuff.
Just had a look I honestly don’t think it’s a big deal & I would necessarily interpret any racism, in the era of political correctness it is, to a man on the street well in my opinion they should know better & that’s it. I honestly think some people are too sensitive instead of just laughing it off. 1,crude comment 2,crude comment 3, a maybe ill judged song getting distorted the proceeds going to charity, Godfrey bloom is actually married to a polish lady.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:02 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:Just had a look I honestly don’t think it’s a big deal & I would necessarily interpret any racism, in the era of political correctness it is, to a man on the street well in my opinion they should know better & that’s it. I honestly think some people are too sensitive instead of just laughing it off. 1,crude comment 2,crude comment 3, a maybe ill judged song getting distorted the proceeds going to charity, Godfrey bloom is actually married to a polish lady.
You've only just had a look??

Let me remind you. About half an hour after I first posted them, you said this....
Jakubclaret wrote:It’s easy to post suggestive biased anti UKIP Rhetoric links. You only believe what you want to believe, the same applies to me but I’m more honest about it & have a open mind & if a convincing argument presents itself I will be swayed, some people don’t have that flexibility.
You weren't honest and open-minded enough to even look at the links I had posted before dismissing them, though. How can you be swayed by a convincing argument if you refuse to even look at the evidence presented to you before dismissing it.

After I asked you which bits I shouldn't have believed, you said...
Jakubclaret wrote:You want to believe it, your mind is already made up, some people will for want of a better word gullible. The media portray UKIP in the worst possible light & it’s inaccurate.
Wouldn't someone whose mind wasn't already made up have taken a look at the articles before dismissing them, and implying that they were inaccurate and only to be believed by the gullible?

To be clear, I'm not saying you have to read every link I ever post, but you really probably should if you're going to engage with me in order to imply that they are "fake news". Particularly if you go on to describe yourself as "honest" and "open minded", and me as "gullible".

If you don't think that talking about "bongo bongo land" and "a ting tong from somewhere" is racist, then that's your opinion which you're entitled to (I strongly disagree, obviously), but you can't just dismiss stuff as biased when you've not even read it.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:08 pm

Not sure that UKIP current manifesto isn't racist before we even start looking at videos if I'm being perfectly honest.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:18 pm

Greenmile wrote:You've only just had a look??

Let me remind you. About half an hour after I first posted them, you said this....

You weren't honest and open-minded enough to even look at the links I had posted before dismissing them, though. How can you be swayed by a convincing argument if you refuse to even look at the evidence presented to you before dismissing it.

After I asked you which bits I shouldn't have believed, you said...

Wouldn't someone whose mind wasn't already made up have taken a look at the articles before dismissing them, and implying that they were inaccurate and only to be believed by the gullible?

To be clear, I'm not saying you have to read every link I ever post, but you really probably should if you're going to engage with me in order to imply that they are "fake news". Particularly if you go on to describe yourself as "honest" and "open minded", and me as "gullible".

If you don't think that talking about "bongo bongo land" and "a ting tong from somewhere" is racist, then that's your opinion which you're entitled to (I strongly disagree, obviously), but you can't just dismiss stuff as biased when you've not even read it.
That’s not entirely fair, as I recall you posted the links quite late on the evening & I did initially glance & formed an opinion based on the links, & only until recently with you posting again I’ve reread in more depth & formed a similar opinion to the 1 I’d already established. It’s not the done thing when you’re in the spotlight to say bongo & ting tong land that I do agree with, my standpoint is I don’t deem racist as I hear more offensive terms during day to day life from people I would necessarily describe as being racist. You seem to have a habit of larging things up to dovetail with your streamlined agenda improvising as you go along.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:31 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:That’s not entirely fair, as I recall you posted the links quite late on the evening & I did initially glance & formed an opinion based on the links, & only until recently with you posting again I’ve reread in more depth & formed a similar opinion to the 1 I’d already established. It’s not the done thing when you’re in the spotlight to say bongo & ting tong land that I do agree with, my standpoint is I don’t deem racist as I hear more offensive terms during day to day life from people I would necessarily describe as being racist. You seem to have a habit of larging things up to dovetail with your streamlined agenda improvising as you go along.
You really have no self-awareness do you?

You didn’t say they were not racist. You implied that it was fake news from the biased MSM. If you wanted to argue that what the articles accurately reported didn’t constitute racism, then why didn’t you, unless it was to “dovetail with your streamlined agenda”?

What really gets me though, is your assertion that you were being open minded by refusing to believe the stories you hadn’t read, and that I was being gullible by believing stuff that was quite obviously true.

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:34 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:To be fair, its a hell of an achievement getting enough people not to realise you are thick ex-banker who lies all the time.

Can you please list all these lies. I am sure it will be very easy if he does it "all the time".

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:35 pm

burnleymik wrote:Can you please list all these lies. I am sure it will be very easy if he does it "all the time".
If he does it all the time. It would be anything but easy to list them all - it’d take ages.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:44 pm

It’s much easier to just post links trying to discredit a party & person with dubious content alleging racism when its no more than a handful of people misbehaving.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:45 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:It’s much easier to just post links trying to discredit a party & person with dubious content alleging racism when its no more than a handful of people misbehaving.
With UKIP, yes, it is.

Not as easy as just dismissing stuff outright without even looking at it though.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:48 pm

Greenmile wrote:Not just democracy either.

Our health (anti-vaxxers causing outbreaks of diseases) and education (creationists trying to ban the teaching of evolution) are also suffering as a result of this "feelz before realz" (as I believe the kidz say) way of looking at life.

Just a couple of examples off the top of my head, but I'm sure it affects all sort of things in various (but almost exclusively negative) ways.
Hear hear Lancaster & GM, an unfortunate sign of present time. I however still believe we can turn the tide and populism will hopefully fade away in a number of years time from now.

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:50 pm

Greenmile wrote:If he does it all the time. It would be anything but easy to list them all - it’d take ages.
Rubbish. You could easily post many of them. Wouldn't take much effort if every thing he says is a lie. I await with anticipation, but not expectation...

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:50 pm

Trouble is people are destroying the essence of the points you raise that’s why the upper hand will always be 1 way. In response to post 129.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:59 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:Trouble is people are destroying the essence of the points you raise that’s why the upper hand will always be 1 way. In response to post 129.
Seems like this thread is taking a different route than its initial point: what's your take on Farrage's explanation on the interview as posted in post nr. 1?

Taken from the horses mouth.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:01 pm

burnleymik wrote:Rubbish. You could easily post many of them. Wouldn't take much effort if every thing he says is a lie. I await with anticipation, but not expectation...
You asked him (not me) to list them all though. That would be difficult. That’s the only point I was making.

Here’s a few for you to be going on with, though (six in a single article is pretty good going).

https://tabloidcorrections.wordpress.co ... s-article/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:02 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:Trouble is people are destroying the essence of the points you raise that’s why the upper hand will always be 1 way. In response to post 129.
Im not sure what this is supposed to mean.

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:15 pm

Greenmile wrote:You asked him (not me) to list them all though. That would be difficult. That’s the only point I was making.

Here’s a few for you to be going on with, though (six in a single article is pretty good going).

https://tabloidcorrections.wordpress.co ... s-article/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

okay let's work through them:

1. We do pay the EU an estimate of £55million per day and that was back in 2016. Yes we supposedly get some back in rebates. - So it's not a lie we pay the EU £55 million per day even with the small rebate we pay them scandalous amounts of money.

2. So they admit this one in the first sentence, but then try and mitigate. - Once again not a lie.

3. They admit upto 50% are made and also that it depends how you measure it! - They are not proving a lie at all.

4. Effectively they do have the power unless the Supreme Court can justify a reason not to. haha. How spurious is that? terrible. - That said, I haven't actually heard or seem this comment about the supreme court, just about our laws in general.

5. This is grasping at best. he did not say "for every single small business". he was stating that a lot of businesses, even if they only trade within the UK are subject to EU legistlation, which makes things more costly and difficult. They are not proving he lied at all here, they are just interpreting it another way.

6. I think it's quite clear by now that the EU's treaty commitments on Asylum have allowed terrorists into the continent and there have been numerous examples to prove this. the only irresponsibility is not properly vetting the asylum seekers entering the continent. - Once again, this is not a lie.

That whole article doesn't actually prove a single outright lie. Worthless.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 pm

Greenmile wrote:Fair enough. I think I might have missed the “duck” thing though, tbh, although I’ve seen the odd reference to it.

Fake newsImage

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:51 pm

burnleymik wrote:okay let's work through them:

1. We do pay the EU an estimate of £55million per day and that was back in 2016. Yes we supposedly get some back in rebates. - So it's not a lie we pay the EU £55 million per day even with the small rebate we pay them scandalous amounts of money.

2. So they admit this one in the first sentence, but then try and mitigate. - Once again not a lie.

3. They admit upto 50% are made and also that it depends how you measure it! - They are not proving a lie at all.

4. Effectively they do have the power unless the Supreme Court can justify a reason not to. haha. How spurious is that? terrible. - That said, I haven't actually heard or seem this comment about the supreme court, just about our laws in general.

5. This is grasping at best. he did not say "for every single small business". he was stating that a lot of businesses, even if they only trade within the UK are subject to EU legistlation, which makes things more costly and difficult. They are not proving he lied at all here, they are just interpreting it another way.

6. I think it's quite clear by now that the EU's treaty commitments on Asylum have allowed terrorists into the continent and there have been numerous examples to prove this. the only irresponsibility is not properly vetting the asylum seekers entering the continent. - Once again, this is not a lie.

That whole article doesn't actually prove a single outright lie. Worthless.
I just lost a long reply to this (I think the Express website crashed my tablet), and I can’t be bothered typing it all out again, but will summarise it as

1 - lie by omission (not including the rebate, for starters). It’s knowingly dishonest and misleading. AKA a lie.

2 - I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he meant this as his opinion only, but he claims to be “absolutely certain” we can strike these trade deals, which I find hard to believe. Only lunatics are absolutely certain what will happen after Brexit, but let’s say Farage is one. Not a lie (we’re down to five).

3 - Fullfact say 15 to 50% (https://fullfact.org/news/what-proporti ... -brussels/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) Even if we take the upper value that’s not a majority, as Farage claimed. A lie.

4 - Farage said “Our own Supreme Court can be overruled by a court in Luxembourg staffed by people who aren’t even proper judges” (his article is linked in the first line of the one I linked to). The Supreme Court’s own website says this is a lie. https://www.supremecourt.uk/faqs.html#1g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5 - he claimed “EU legislation... ...holds back our economic potential and makes life hard for those who run small businesses.”. Not “some of those”, but “those”, which implies all of them. Another lie.

6 - I’ll grant you that this may not have been a lie as such, just irresponsible rabble rousing and racist dog whistling. There does still seem to be some doubt about whether we will end up sharing criminal intelligence with the EU after Brexit though, which would certainly make us more vulnerable to terrorism. So misguided and possibly wrong, but not necessarily a lie.

Still, four lies in a single article is not the output of an honest individual, is it?

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:07 pm

Greenmile wrote:
1 - lie by omission (not including the rebate, for starters). It’s knowingly dishonest and misleading. AKA a lie.
How is it omission?. he stated we pay the EU £55 million per day. We do. That is not a lie.

2 - I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he meant this as his opinion only, but he claims to be “absolutely certain” we can strike these trade deals, which I find hard to believe. Only lunatics are absolutely certain what will happen after Brexit, but let’s say Farage is one. Not a lie (we’re down to five).
Except the article states it's a lie and you concede it's not. Credibility is shot already.
3 - Fullfact say 15 to 50% (https://fullfact.org/news/what-proporti ... -brussels/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) Even if we take the upper value that’s not a majority, as Farage claimed. A lie.
Did you actually read into this? They clearly said it depends how you measure it! I also found Farage's quote and he said "upto 70%" How are they proving this is a lie?
4 - Farage said “Our own Supreme Court can be overruled by a court in Luxembourg staffed by people who aren’t even proper judges” (his article is linked in the first line of the one I linked to). The Supreme Court’s own website says this is a lie. https://www.supremecourt.uk/faqs.html#1g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Look at the bottom part of the article, the Supreme Court can ONLY over rule the ECJ if they can find sufficient grounds to do so. I would say they can be over-ruled by the ECJ, unless they can justify their position.
5 - he claimed “EU legislation that holds back our economic potential and makes life hard for those who run small businesses.”. Not “some of those”, but “those”, which implies all of them. Another lie.
He also didn't say ALL, so this once again is down to interpretation, as you pointed out, so how can it be an lie?
Still, four lies in a single article is not the output of an honest individual, is it?
The article clearly claims 6, surely at this point you realise it's validity is worthless.

You gave me an article with 6 supposed Farage lies and already you concede two are not lies and the others are spurious at best.

The comment LC made that Farage lies all the time and I still await evidence of this.

Easy to make these claims and throw labels around, but when you ask for evidence....

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:27 pm

burnleymik wrote:How is it omission?. he stated we pay the EU £55 million per day. We do. That is not a lie.

Except the article states it's a lie and you concede it's not. Credibility is shot already.

Did you actually read into this? They clearly said it depends how you measure it! I also found Farage's quote and he said "upto 70%" How are they proving this is a lie?

Look at the bottom part of the article, the Supreme Court can ONLY over rule the ECJ if they can find sufficient grounds to do so. I would say they can be over-ruled by the ECJ, unless they can justify their position.

He also didn't say ALL, so this once again is down to interpretation, as you pointed out, so how can it be an lie?

The article clearly claims 6, surely at this point you realise it's validity is worthless.

You gave me an article with 6 supposed Farage lies and already you concede two are not lies and the others are spurious at best.

The comment LC made that Farage lies all the time and I still await evidence of this.

Easy to make these claims and throw labels around, but when you ask for evidence....
1 - it’s a lie no matter how you look at it. The rebate is applied before any money is sent, so we don’t and never have paid £55m a day.

2 - I didn’t write the article, so I don’t have to agree with every word it says in order to maintain credibility.

3 - yes it depends how you measure it, but no matter how you measure it you will never come up with a figure greater than 50%, which is not a majority as Farage claimed (in the Express article that the one I linked refers to). If he said “up to 70%” that would be dishonest and misleading, but strictly speaking true. He said “a majority” which is a lie.

4 - I’m sure you would say they can be over ruled by the ECJ, but you’d be lying (or maybe just wrong), too. From the Supreme Court website I linked (emphasis mine) -

“Can the European Court of Human Rights or the Court of Justice of the European Union overrule the UKSC?

No. However, when making decisions, the UKSC must give effect to the rights contained in the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) as contained in the Human Rights Act 1998.”

5 - if I say “the people living in my house are adults”, would you be surprised if you came round and a child was living there, or would you think “well, he didn’t say ALL the people...”?

6 - Nope. An article can contain both good and bad points (or even both truths and lies). You can’t dismiss an entire article by finding one mistake in it.

“Easy to make these claims and throw labels around, but when you ask for evidence...”

...someone provides it and you try to shoot it down with terrible logic.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:32 pm

burnleymik wrote:How is it omission?. he stated we pay the EU £55 million per day. We do. That is not a lie.
ezpz.

I bought a bottle of coke earlier. 500ml. I paid with a £20 note. Now, would i be telling the truth if i then told everyone that i paid £20 for that coke?
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:43 pm

He actually states that it COSTS £55m a day, which is an even bigger lie than saying we pay £55m.

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:47 pm

Greenmile wrote:1 - it’s a lie no matter how you look at it. The rebate is applied before any money is sent, so we don’t and never have paid £55m a day.
We do because we are told how we spend that rebate! it's not exactly our money as we don't have control over how it is spent. So it's not a lie is it?
2 - I didn’t write the article, so I don’t have to agree with every word it says in order to maintain credibility.
It's very premise is about 6 lies Farage told and you citied it to prove he is a liar. For me that really does affect the credibility when you are freely admitting that it's not as it portrays.
3 - yes it depends how you measure it, but no matter how you measure it you will never come up with a figure greater than 50%, which is not a majority as Farage claimed (in the Express article that the one I linked refers to). If he said “up to 70%” that would be dishonest and misleading, but strictly speaking true. He said “a majority” which is a lie.
15%-50% - come on, that clearly means they don't know, so how can they state for sure Farage is wrong? they clearly have no definitive answer!
4 - I’m sure you would say they can be over ruled by the ECJ, but you’d be lying (or maybe just wrong), too. From the Supreme Court website I linked (emphasis mine) -

“Can the European Court of Human Rights or the Court of Justice of the European Union overrule the UKSC?

No. However, when making decisions, the UKSC must give effect to the rights contained in the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) as contained in the Human Rights Act 1998.”
It also states, what you are missing, is that only if the Supreme Court can find sufficient grounds. That is a pretty big caveat, you must admit?
5 - if I say “the people living in my house are adults”, would you be surprised if you came round and a child was living there, or would you think “well, he didn’t say ALL the people...”?
How is that analogy even close? You simply imply he meant ALL because that is how you interpreted it, but he didn't actually say that.
6 - Nope. An article can contain both good and bad points (or even both truths and lies). You can’t dismiss an entire article by finding one mistake in it.
I found plenty, but you yourself admitted two of their six are not even true. Their entire premise is that they found six lies Farage told.
“Easy to make these claims and throw labels around, but when you ask for evidence...”

...someone provides it and you try to shoot it down with terrible logic.
You clearly linked me to one of the first Google articlea that popped up, without checking it first yourself. You provided absolutely nothing of substance to prove your point. In fact the best you had was a lie by omission!!!

So busy believing that you want to be true, that facts seem to be worthless to you.

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:49 pm

Tall Paul wrote:He actually states that it COSTS £55m a day, which is an even bigger lie than saying we pay £55m.
It does cost that. We have no say on how the rebate is spent and let's not forget that the EU wanted to reduce that rebate! We can't just give them less and spend it on our own economy.

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:ezpz.

I bought a bottle of coke earlier. 500ml. I paid with a £20 note. Now, would i be telling the truth if i then told everyone that i paid £20 for that coke?

How about you paid £20 for that coke, but you can only spend the change on what the shopkeeper tells you to spend it on. You still had to give £20 to the shopkeeper and because you have to spend the change how he says, then it has still meant it cost you £20.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:52 pm

Let’s all just ignore facts, we can all improvise & just wing it by posting links to suit our own arguments & we don’t even have to read other peoples links & if we do we accuse people of not reading the links & just make it up.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:56 pm

burnleymik wrote:How about you paid £20 for that coke, but you can only spend the change on what the shopkeeper tells you to spend it on. You still had to give £20 to the shopkeeper and because you have to spend the change how he says, then it has still meant it cost you £20.
What spending restrictions do the EU put on the rebate?

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:57 pm

burnleymik wrote:We do because we are told how we spend that rebate! it's not exactly our money as we don't have control over how it is spent. So it's not a lie is it?

It's very premise is about 6 lies Farage told and you citied it to prove he is a liar. For me that really does affect the credibility when you are freely admitting that it's not as it portrays.

15%-50% - come on, that clearly means they don't know, so how can they state for sure Farage is wrong? they clearly have no definitive answer!

It also states, what you are missing, is that only if the Supreme Court can find sufficient grounds. That is a pretty big caveat, you must admit?

How is that analogy even close? You simply imply he meant ALL because that is how you interpreted it, but he didn't actually say that.

I found plenty, but you yourself admitted two of their six are not even true. Their entire premise is that they found six lies Farage told.

You clearly linked me to one of the first Google articlea that popped up, without checking it first yourself. You provided absolutely nothing of substance to prove your point. In fact the best you had was a lie by omission!!!

So busy believing that you want to be true, that facts seem to be worthless to you.
I give up.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:58 pm

I wish you would.
These 2 users liked this post: Greenmile Imploding Turtle

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:58 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:Let’s all just ignore facts, we can all improvise & just wing it by posting links to suit our own arguments & we don’t even have to read other peoples links & if we do we accuse people of not reading the links & just make it up.
A rare moment of honesty and self-awareness there. Are you feeling ok?

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:01 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:What spending restrictions do the EU put on the rebate?
I’m pretty sure he’s mixing up the rebate with funding that the EU gives to UK projects. That’s the level of wilful ignorance we’re dealing with here.
Last edited by Greenmile on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.