We are so quick to turn on our players

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

We are so quick to turn on our players

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:30 pm

Looks like it's Ben Mee's turn....fookin unbelievable ! :roll:
This user liked this post: Spike

Leisure
Been Liked: 3772 times
Has Liked: 12363 times

Re: We are so quick to turn on our players

Post by Leisure » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:32 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Looks like it's Ben Mee's turn....fookin unbelievable ! :roll:
And the Manager's as well! :o

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:35 pm

We tend to get points against the better sides and lose against the bottom, so this surprised me, it really did. To stay up, you have to luck some points. You have to.

But bashing a player never crossed my mind today. We aren't Barca so we have to accept below par performances.
These 3 users liked this post: Vegas Claret evensteadiereddie Spike

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:40 pm

Lowton didn't close his man down from the first minute and it set the tone, he was unusually poor all day - that's not bashing a player that's just telling it like it is.

saying "Lowton is ****, he needs replacing and he should never play for us again" would be bashing a player - some of you need to learn the difference

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:41 pm

I don't think the majority are having a go at certain players-I certainly wasn't in my posts, but God were we poor in certain areas and I feel there is a collective responsibility all over the pitch. Looking forward to Gibson, Defour and Brady being part of the squad as right now a number of the players know they will play next week even if they have a stinker

Cooperclaret
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 225 times

Post by Cooperclaret » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:46 pm

Good point OP

From an early age I have never understood why so called “fans” s lag off their team. I just don’t get it.

We were poor today for sure, however we WON - a sign of a decent team and without Defour and Brady our best two creative players. Them two make a massive difference to us - they are CLASS

We will click and when we do sad acts like KBRFC and her crew will once again crawl under their stones.
These 3 users liked this post: longsidepies ClaretRock Spike

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1000 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:46 pm

Too many people love a whinge.
We're going through a tough patch compared to last season but we still got the points today (an away win months ahead of the time it took to get one 2 seasons ago)
Constructive criticism is fair enough, constant whinging is a pain. There'll be far less negative comment about out team in the national media than on here from "our own".

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:47 pm

Some on here wouldn't know their ar$e from their Elbow.....

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:50 pm

tim_noone wrote:Some on here wouldn't know their ar$e from their Elbow.....
Stop putting yourself down.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:51 pm

Cooperclaret wrote:Good point OP

From an early age I have never understood why so called “fans” s lag off their team. I just don’t get it.

We were poor today for sure, however we WON - a sign of a decent team and without Def our and Brady our best two creative players. Them two make a massive difference to us - they are CLASS

We will click and when we do sad acts like KBRFC and her crew will once again crawl under their stones.
At least KBRFC is consistent...the rest don't even sing when were winning!

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:52 pm

There is a difference between playing poorly and not being good enough...people should learn the difference.

If we can play poorly and win away in the prem, there ain’t too much wrong.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:58 pm

Cooperclaret wrote:Good point OP

We were poor today for sure, however we WON - a sign of a decent team and without Defour and Brady our best two creative players. Them two make a massive difference to us - they are CLASS

I alao dont understand how our fans overhype certain players. Like Mears for England. Works both ways. I also wouldnt say that Brady was CLASS. Maybe good but he is not the messiah and I think many have short memories as he was once the target of many until a few (no more) good performances before his injury.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:00 pm

tim_noone wrote:At least KBRFC is consistent...the rest don't even sing when were winning!
Also I dont recall KRBFC slagging off our players at any time. His dislike for Dyche is consistent and recently am hearing more and more fans echo his thoughts
This user liked this post: tim_noone

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:01 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Also I dont recall KRBFC slagging off our players at any time. His dislike for Dyche is consistent and recently am hearing more and more fans echo his thoughts
He called Barnes a prick

lrac
Been Liked: 106 times
Has Liked: 283 times

Post by lrac » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:01 pm

3 points
That's it .we need them
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies claret54

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:04 pm

It isn't a bad game though, Ben is having an awful season by his own standards. I suggest you watch a replay and concentrate on what Ben actually did today.
It isn't turning on a player, I've always been a big fan of Mee, but you can't bury your head in the sand and pretend he isn't having a shocker.
He's also supposed to be captain, but shows absolutely no sign of leadership. We lack leaders all over the pitch.

claretcarrot93
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by claretcarrot93 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:06 pm

taio wrote:He called Barnes a prick
To be fair Barnes is a prick but he is our prick
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:08 pm

Yes Barnes is our Dickov

summitclaret
Been Liked: 827 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:08 pm

My concern is that many of our players just don't look up for it like that they always have been. Is it all the extended and presumably more lucrative contracts for what are mostly journeymen?

Flat Stanley
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by Flat Stanley » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:11 pm

People are just bored of watching unattractive football. It was ok for a while when we were doing well but the novelty of being in the Premier League has worn off and people want at least a little bit of attractive football, at least some attempt to get the ball down and play a little, at least a little entertainment for their hard earned money and are getting none whatsoever. At times last season particularly when Defour was in the team we played some good stuff but a lot of the time lately it's been really unattractive boring football. Hopefully we get back to the first half of last season's style some time soon. I go to football to watch the game and be entertained. I will always support the team but would rather we try and play a little football at least. Last week thought we had turned a corner a bit but back to the same turgid stuff today. I can understand against a top team but Cardiff are awful. We were very lucky to win.
These 3 users liked this post: Cleveleys_claret Top Claret claretfern

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:12 pm

summitclaret wrote:My concern is that many of our players just don't look up for it like that they always have been. Is it all the extended and presumably more lucrative contracts for what are mostly journeymen?
Name the mostly journey men?
This user liked this post: ClaretRock

claret54
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 261 times

Post by claret54 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:14 pm

No need to turn on any of our players. It was a good fighting team effort today similar to many last year.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:15 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Also I dont recall KRBFC slagging off our players at any time. His dislike for Dyche is consistent and recently am hearing more and more fans echo his thoughts
You’ll and your little band will be outside the Bob Lord protesting soon I bet like the good old days!

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:19 pm

Unlikely - they'll need a map to even find the Turf, never mind the BL.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 827 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:19 pm

It's easier to name those that that are not, but when I said journeymen I meant it relative to pl talent. Those that are better than journeymen are defour, tarks, brady, jbg and all 3 keepers. The rest have been outstanding with effort and commitment.
This user liked this post: lrac

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by burnleymik » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:24 pm

I think criticism is absolutely fair. Fans are allowed opinions on players and their performances.

I also think people criticise and comment because they are passionate about the club as a whole, not to put the club down. I think it would be far worse if they didn't care either way.
These 2 users liked this post: Cleveleys_claret claretfern

ClaretRock
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by ClaretRock » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:26 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:It isn't a bad game though, Ben is having an awful season by his own standards. I suggest you watch a replay and concentrate on what Ben actually did today.
It isn't turning on a player, I've always been a big fan of Mee, but you can't bury your head in the sand and pretend he isn't having a shocker.
He's also supposed to be captain, but shows absolutely no sign of leadership. We lack leaders all over the pitch.
By his standards Mee is having a poor season. He Has been a solid 8 out of 10 for most of his time here. I do feel there is an issue with him wether he is injured or problem behind closed doors.. mabe he is fecked off from having to defend for there lives every single game bar Bournemouth. One thing I will say is Leadership is something he doesn't lack. He constantly talks to the midfielders and defenders around him usually whilst getting on with his own game however this season he needs to step his own game up. Don't think he was as bad today as everyone is scoring on the ratings though bit harsh.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:26 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:You’ll and your little band will be outside the Bob Lord protesting soon I bet like the good old days!
Dont protest and when on give 100% support to the team. Dont grumble and moan when on...i know it may come as a surprise ha ha. On here yes it is easy to vent but like I say I say I wouldnt do on the ground. I dont believe the players are to blame, they are all good players, its the system we are playing and the lack of trust.

Here is an example.... without Brady and Defour we revert to playing percentages and stick to a rigid formation. As SD says his teams play to their strengths and there are limits to what they can do. Now if Brady and Defour come back in and he says go out and play expansive creative football what is that telling the other players. They are not capable of playing football without them 2? Hendrick plays out of position for 12 months and then is dropped for all his endevour and will be 4th choice? Barnes comes off the bench and scores 2 yet is still 4th choice?

Recently SD has been making some very strange decisions and it is showing in the commitment shown by players on the pitch

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:27 pm

A nice thought, bm.
Naive but nice.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:28 pm

Flat Stanley wrote:People are just bored of watching unattractive football. It was ok for a while when we were doing well but the novelty of being in the Premier League has worn off and people want at least a little bit of attractive football, at least some attempt to get the ball down and play a little, at least a little entertainment for their hard earned money and are getting none whatsoever. At times last season particularly when Defour was in the team we played some good stuff but a lot of the time lately it's been really unattractive boring football. Hopefully we get back to the first half of last season's style some time soon. I go to football to watch the game and be entertained. I will always support the team but would rather we try and play a little football at least. Last week thought we had turned a corner a bit but back to the same turgid stuff today. I can understand against a top team but Cardiff are awful. We were very lucky to win.
This nails it for me
This user liked this post: claretfern

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:31 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:This nails it for me
You’d be happier watching great football in the championship ffs. We won 4 nil last week and ground out one this week. It’s a results business and I don’t care how we play if we keep winning. You always feel better after a win than a defeat having had 20 plus shots...

And we haven’t even got our best 2 players on the pitch.
These 3 users liked this post: Cooperclaret Siddo Goodclaret

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:32 pm

Flat Stanley wrote:People are just bored of watching unattractive football. It was ok for a while when we were doing well but the novelty of being in the Premier League has worn off and people want at least a little bit of attractive football, at least some attempt to get the ball down and play a little, at least a little entertainment for their hard earned money and are getting none whatsoever. At times last season particularly when Defour was in the team we played some good stuff but a lot of the time lately it's been really unattractive boring football. Hopefully we get back to the first half of last season's style some time soon. I go to football to watch the game and be entertained. I will always support the team but would rather we try and play a little football at least. Last week thought we had turned a corner a bit but back to the same turgid stuff today. I can understand against a top team but Cardiff are awful. We were very lucky to win.
You just missed off the phone number of the billionaire owner we need!

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:32 pm

Dyche's "strange decisions" are the result of a number of injuries and a deeply unsettling, unique start to the season, a start we were wholly ill-equipped for.
Slowly but surely, the ship is being steadied and yet still the guy is criticised.
I don't give a flying wotsit how fancy our football is or not until we get ourselves sorted out properly. If it means retaining a very rigid, workmanlike framework, so be it.
These 4 users liked this post: Cooperclaret LeadBelly Siddo Goodclaret

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:32 pm

Grass! :lol:

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:33 pm

summitclaret wrote:It's easier to name those that that are not, but when I said journeymen I meant it relative to pl talent. Those that are better than journeymen are defour, tarks, brady, jbg and all 3 keepers. The rest have been outstanding with effort and commitment.
You missed out vokes... But I like your reply.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:35 pm

Spijed wrote:You just missed off the phone number of the billionaire owner we need!
We don't need a billionaire to improve the way we play. Like last year. I suspect Dyche would be the first to recognise there's room for improvement. I'd hope so anyway.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:39 pm

Of course he recognises there's room for improvement. That's why he's just got the lads battling to two PL wins on the trot.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Spike

taio

Post by taio » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:41 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:Of course he recognises there's room for improvement. That's why he's just got the lads battling to two PL wins on the trot.
Excellent result today which of course is the main thing. Need to improve on today's performance obviously.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:43 pm

Maybe some of our players are playing nearer to their ability rather than over performing way beyond it like they did many times last season.
Our team today was littered with players that cost very little in Premier League terms and we had 8 or 9 players who cost less than £5m (number were actually free or less than a couple of million).
So when we are going through a sticky patch like we are it’s worth remembering that we have a team who have got where they are because of hard work, commitment and a great manager.....and probably also a stubbornness that they do not give a sh-it what pundits and fans think of our style of play or limitations.

And yes I know Cardiff’s team cost a lot less than ours - but all they did in outplaying us for a lot of the game today is what we have done against more expensive and “better” players many times....and we won and they will be relegated.
These 4 users liked this post: LeadBelly evensteadiereddie Siddo Goodclaret

Spaceman
Been Liked: 52 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Spaceman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:45 pm

Many good points made . I think the defence is under huge pressure as without an effective midfield holding the ball it keeps being pinged back to our defence to sort out. They do bloody well in the circumstances. Having defour and Brady back will maybe give us that dimension it's no one's fault the state of the transfer market and our place within it . In my wildest dreams I never thought we would be where we are today.
Truth is that fans are fickle and drop away when things get crap .that's ok though . We have been up and down . 2000 crowds and may be again one day . Can you imagine this board being available when we were spinning down the league's ?
It is a bit of a bum clenched so far this season . I understand why people are not happy . Hopefully it will be character forming . Balls of steel boys that's what you need
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

Flat Stanley
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by Flat Stanley » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:29 pm

Spijed wrote:You just missed off the phone number of the billionaire owner we need!
Why do we need a billionaire owner to play a bit more of an attractive brand of football? We are capable with the players we have as proved by the first half of last season. I'm not asking for us to play like Man City. Yes we have had injuries but it was stupid not to sign another midfielder and another winger in the transfer window. Even without that we can play better football than today. We were playing against one of the worst teams the premier League has seen and made them look like Man City in one of the rare games they don't put the ball in the net. Just utterly boring turgid football. Hard to get excited even when you win playing like that. I had a season ticket in the fourth division days and I would if we ended up there again. Doesn't mean I don't want to be entertained at a game of football and don't have a right to call it out when what I am getting for my money and support doesn't please me.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:48 pm

I get that but some of the criticism on here and not necessarily yours , btw, after just eight games of one of our potentially most difficult seasons, borders on the idiotic.
Much less of the over-reaction, spoiled brat stuff and much more patience and understanding - even trust - in what Dyche is attempting is required over the next few weeks, I'd argue.
Last edited by evensteadiereddie on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:48 pm

I'm sure Dyche, his backroom staff, all the players and most fans realise
performances need to improve (by a significant amount) if we are to maintain
our status in the top league.
Even though at present we could be tempted into thinking Huddersfield, Cardiff
and possibly Newcastle are worse than we are. Which they obviously are.

Especially as we have only really performed well in very few games and then
for only shortish periods but, no doubt Huddersfield, Cardiff and Newcastle will
be able to say the same and they have all probably had a much tougher start in terms of who they have had to face
compared to us. They've all faced at least 3 of the top 4 in their first 7 fixtures whilst we've yet to play any.

Yes, some of our players aren't performing at their best whilst others may be past their best
but we do have something to be thankful for. Hart for one. Without him and his mom performances
we could be in the bottom three.

So, it is inevitable some fans will have a pop at some players.
Mee and Taylor appear to be targeted as of late.
But then we haven't really got that many on the bench that could replace them or others
and do much better albeit Long has always done a good job when asked to.
McNeil has shown some promise but with JBG and Lennon improving in the last two games
and Brady back on the horizon he's not likely to get much of a shot unless we have injuries.

Nothing would please me more than if we were playing attractive football and winning
but we need to be honest and realistic.

We are all hoping that Defour and Brady will get back in and soon get up to speed and
on top form. That should improve us and give us a better chance of putting a few more points
on the table before Xmas.
And then we're in the January transfer window and hoping we can manage to get one or two in
to improve us some more.

And if we manage to finish 17th or above then it will have been a successful season.

Whoever and however the players are performing one thing is for sure
and that is if the fans get behind them they will play that bit better.
It's rare that criticism from the fans/terraces improves a players' performance.
This user liked this post: Leisure

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:04 pm

I'd like to see him call him that to his face.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:09 pm

We won ugly today as they say. But we know we can playmuch better than that and there is no question that, for whatever reason, some players are not playing as well as they can do. Thank goodness Sean Dyche signed Joe Hart. An inspired signing.

PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:38 am

Why are we so quick to turn on our fellow supporters?.

The only loyalty footballers of all teams have today is to their own bank balance, to think different you must be harking back to the romantic times of the 60's when players were loyal. Your fellow supporters will be here long after any player and indeed any manager as left the club to move on else where to maximise their bank balance.

Spike
Been Liked: 595 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:21 am

The point is the same numptys single out the same players time and time again

Two wins on the trot so I have a spring in my step anyone who hasn’t needs to give their heads and armchairs a wobble
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:38 am

Reading comments on this board, the supporters aren't turning on the players just the manager. I always thought once we got established at this level the fans would want to see a bit better quality football.
1st half of last season so an improvement with better ball retention but the last 20-30 games the quality on the whole has been poor and not what you would expect from a Premier league side.

If any other club in the Premier league took Dyche on as there manager I can guarantee that there fans would riot

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:57 am

Expectation levels went through the roof after last season.

People who want us to be challenging for 7th every year are going to be disappointed when we are not, and when you have some poor performances with some poor results, then some people are going to whinge more vociferously than most.

No doubt we were poor yesterday, but still good enough to score twice and win. I think people are underestimating just how hard it is to win games in this league, and for us to win two on the trot whilst nowhere near our best is a massive positive.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:21 am

‘If any other club in the Premier league took Dyche on as there manager I can guarantee that there fans would riot’

Of course they would.