Some Perspective; Cardiff Away

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Dike Muff
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Some Perspective; Cardiff Away

Post by Dike Muff » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:32 am

I don’t post much on here; I just tend to browse.
As such I have to say that I’m somewhat baffled by some of the negativity towards yesterday afternoon’s win at Cardiff.
Yes, we finished 7th last term, and that was wonderful. It was also a bit of a one-off. Our usual Premier League Season will most likely be a struggle to get the requisite points to stay up, as early as possible. I don’t think that that will be different this year, irrespective of last Season’s success.
That in mind, yesterday we went to a fellow Relegation Rival’s ground and took 3 points. Yes, we didnt play well, but that’s the nature of the business sometimes. Two years ago we were playing a lot better than that and getting nothing; not getting our first away win until the end of the Season. We’ve got that monkey off our back before the end of September.
Let’s see what Saturday’s Match will bring. Eminently beatable opponents who, unlike last Season, have had a terrible start and will be a lot less inclined to shut up shop like they did this time last year. There’s a real chance for three wins on the spin; and that should not be sniffed at.

Onwards and upwards.

UTC!
These 37 users liked this post: ClaretPope levraiclaret Burnley Ace cricketfield73 SussexDon1inIreland LeadBelly simonclaret Paranoid tiger76 Mad_tony_c Damo Ric_C KateR Rumpelstiltskin Holtyclaret Spike Paulclaret Siddo Masham Ale JohnDearyMe FactualFrank Stproc Lancasterclaret J50 Falcon JohnMac rincon theroyaldyche bfcjg ten bellies evensteadiereddie ClaretnGreen Dark Cloud Bosscat ClaretRock Goobs Silverturf

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Re: Some Perspective; Cardiff Away

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:53 am

Well said.

Now go back to concentrating on getting Cheltenham up the league
These 5 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 SussexDon1inIreland tiger76 whiffa Siddo

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:56 am

May I ask a question, do you go on the Turf Mike Duff to watch us on a regular basis?

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:01 am

Today's report in The Times has it right. As a showcase for the top flight it was dismal, but it was a good example of the nous that makes us tough nuts to crack, and our extra Premier League knowhow told.
These 4 users liked this post: cricketfield73 Spike Siddo Top Claret

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 835 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:07 am

Cleveleys_claret wrote:May I ask a question, do you go on the Turf Mike Duff to watch us on a regular basis?
I don't see how this is relevant to the OP making a valid point.
For example, fans in many parts of the world see every minute of every single League game live in HD.

You are not more informed just because you go "on the Turf".
These 8 users liked this post: IndigoLake Tribesmen KateR Claret-On-A-T-Rex Spike Stproc Vegas Claret Goobs

Dike Muff
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Post by Dike Muff » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:22 am

Cleveleys_claret wrote:May I ask a question, do you go on the Turf Mike Duff to watch us on a regular basis?
Other than this response, I am not going to engage with you in debate Cleveleys_Claret, as I find your constant negativity somewhat rebarbative.
Good day, sir.
These 12 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland LeadBelly Damo Ric_C Claret-On-A-T-Rex Spike JohnDearyMe Falcon evensteadiereddie Beaucoup Fish Stayingup levraiclaret

CharlieinNewMexico

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:31 am

Dike Muff wrote:Other than this response, I am not going to engage with you in debate Cleveleys_Claret, as I find your constant negativity somewhat rebarbative.
Good day, sir.
Rebarbative!
Well played
These 3 users liked this post: LeadBelly Paranoid Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:34 am

I had to look that up. Though it's got me thinking about crumble and custard.
This user liked this post: IndigoLake

CharlieinNewMexico

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:40 am

Sproggy wrote:I had to look that up. Though it's got me thinking about crumble and custard.
One of my favorite things ever. Sadly missed :(

1968claret
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by 1968claret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:47 am

Come on Dike Muff. If you read this board on a regular basis, you should know that we don’t do perspective on here :)

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:48 am

But it does when fans have not invested anything into the club other than watching on TV. There is no wonder they are so blaise about performances asthey are not paying for the privilige. Us fans that pay week in and week out are bored of the football served up.

If anything happened to the club you would not be the ones putting money into the clubs coffers. You would just be sat at home searching for streams

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:52 am

You have to love someone who doesn't go on asking someone else if they go on before being entitled to an opinion.

You have given up on away games (as it has got a bit tough) so you claim, therefore surely it is only fair you delete any comments on away games, you would hate to be seen as a hypocrite.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:54 am

Boxing football. Two shots on target, two knockout punches. What a statistic. Sweet.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfield73 Siddo

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:02 am

I'm looking forward to the posts of Cleveleys claret, the new fans representative

And I'm liking his linking of anyone who thinks he's a smacked off his tits fantasist isn't as big a fan as he is.
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:02 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:You have given up on away games (as it has got a bit tough).
If he gave up on home games would anybody miss him?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:09 am

piston broke wrote:If he gave up on home games would anybody miss him?

I don't believe for 1 minute he even goes home games apart from the big ones.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:12 am

Agreed poor performance but excellent result, it makes me feel good on a Monday morning however.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4072 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:13 am

***PROPER FAN ALERT!!***PROPER FAN ALERT!!***
These 2 users liked this post: LeadBelly Stayingup

Dougall
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 222 times

Post by Dougall » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:18 am

That's worrying - I can't recall signing my nomination papers for Cleveleys Claret.
Getting old is a terrible thing!

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:25 am

As I said to one of our fans getting on a coach after the game in Cardiff yesterday who was complaining that we hadn't played well:

"We have just taken three away points to add to the 4-0 home win last week, stuffed the Yanks by 7 points in the Ryder Cup and your saying that this has not been a good sporting day?"
These 2 users liked this post: LeadBelly KateR

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:30 am

Cleveleys_claret wrote:But it does when fans have not invested anything into the club other than watching on TV. There is no wonder they are so blaise about performances asthey are not paying for the privilige. Us fans that pay week in and week out are bored of the football served up.

If anything happened to the club you would not be the ones putting money into the clubs coffers. You would just be sat at home searching for streams
Do you hold press conferences when you speak on behalf of fellow clarets?
These 2 users liked this post: LeadBelly Holtyclaret

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3340 times
Has Liked: 1959 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:42 am

Used to be a time it was unwise to visit the messageboard after a defeat.
Seems best to avoid after a win now unless we’ve played like the 1970’s Brazil side.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:57 am

To be fair a lot of the negativity on the board was written at 4pm - 5pm, when we were objectively shocking. And the game was unwatchable. I think by the end of the game, after an improved second half, many were more balanced. But I agree in the main, that expectations have risen to a point that’s unrealistic. Any 3 points in the premier league are good points indeed.
These 2 users liked this post: Stproc ClaretRock

Wisswosswass
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Wisswosswass » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:08 pm

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:I don't see how this is relevant to the OP making a valid point.
For example, fans in many parts of the world see every minute of every single League game live in HD.

You are not more informed just because you go "on the Turf".
Bob on! I've personally not been on Turf Moor since 2008. However I was a regular back in the 80's and 90's, specifically the 80's when a good proportion of people on this board couldn't be bothered. The anomaly between fans who attended, those who have have passed on/been born yadda yadda. Suggests there's a good number of plastics on here who only started supporting us when we were successful at Championship level.
I don't go on games for various reasons but certainly have a valid right to comment on our club as much as anyone. I was there when most of you weren't!
This user liked this post: ontario claret

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:18 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Do you hold press conferences when you speak on behalf of fellow clarets?
You beat me to it SHP, always love a self appointed spokesman for all Clarets. If we were to have a spokesman would it be Cleveleys Claret??!! :lol:

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:20 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote: Us fans that pay week in and week out are bored of the football served up.
Please don't speak on behalf of the many
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:22 pm

I do think there's a massive element whereby the criticism of yesterday shows how far we've come - for good and bad.

We didn't play well yesterday, and our passing in particular needs to be better, but we won a tough away game. Worth remembering that apart from being smashed by City (which happens), Cardiff game Arsenal a damn good game at home, and drew their other games. There's a danger of writing off a clearly limited Premier League team as being no-hopers when that's at best unproven yet, and probably a big over-statement of their limitations.

We've also become a bit accustomed over the last 14 months to picking up points away. Two seasons ago, of course, we were habitually getting battered away from home - we conceded 3 goals to each of Southampton Leicester (when they were struggling, badly) and Chelsea in our first 3 away outings 2 years ago, and each time that was a generous scoreline to us. Playing away from home is tough. Every 3 points is a bonus. Our record to date this season - played 4, points 4 - isn't bad at all actually. So perspective is needed.

Its also worth noting that - rightly or wrongly - we've consistently struggled with the style of football Cardiff played yesterday under Dyche. I couldn't tell you exactly why that is, but as we've seen in the cups, its a formula we struggle with - perhaps because we tend not to dominate the ball, and we also tend to defend narrow, which concedes the opportunity for opponents to get lots of good diagonal balls forwards, which any team would then struggle to deal with. We kept getting locked into a cycle of getting forced back to deal with the aerial bombardment, and then struggling to get back into our shape to play our game.

At our best, with Defour and potentially also Brady in the team, and a fully fit Tarkowski giving us a better distributor in the back four, we'd be better able to go to Cardiff and neutralise them. We didn't do a great job of that yesterday, but we still dug out the win, and in truth the only 2 saves Hart had to make in the game were ones he'd always expect to make.
These 4 users liked this post: KateR dsr Spijed simonclaret

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:44 pm

He wouldn't be as knowledgeable if he did, you see much more of the game from watching it on television, different viewpoints, replays and of course, the incisive commentary.
Normally, when somebody tells me "I went on the game", I'm like, "Oh, bad luck."

Murger
Been Liked: 1244 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Post by Murger » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:46 pm

It was a great 3 points away from home, but let's not dress up the fact we are absolutely turd on the eye.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:00 pm

No one is, that is the whole point.

Its the over reactions to everything that get on peoples tits.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:06 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:But it does when fans have not invested anything into the club other than watching on TV. There is no wonder they are so blaise about performances asthey are not paying for the privilige. Us fans that pay week in and week out are bored of the football served up.

It is the TV fans who ARE putting the money into the club's coffers. Our TV revenue far outweighs the income from gate receipts, merchandise, refreshments and hospitality combined - and they have lots of costs to defray so it isn't just profit. BFC would probably be no worse off financially if they played behind closed doors every week as long as we are in the Premier League getting £100M+ each year!

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:07 pm

Yep. Some sympathy with the point fans who go are more entitled to express frustration, because they have an investment in being entertained.

But folk have small memories. No-one came off the Turf against Bournemouth complaining we hadn't entertained them (or at least; anyone who did was an idiot). No-one came off the Olympiakos game complaining we hadn't entertained them. No-one complained at half time of the Watford game we hadn't entertained them.

So we can be enjoyable to watch at our best. A year ago, we were playing some superb stuff. Unfortunately, the lynchpin of our attacking play got injured at Christmas, on the heels of our most creative attacker getting injured 2 months earlier. Since then, we've been attractive on occasions, but not as often as we would be with Defour in particular and also Brady in the team, and certainly not when we've not been at our best.

It is too much to ask for the players we've been able to put out this season, struggling with their own form and confidence, to play swaggering, dominant football every week. Simply too much to ask.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:11 pm

I can't understand for the life of me why 'proper fans' don't want 'plastic fans'.
They are usually the same fans that complain people don't go on and that the style of football isn't good enough.

It doesn't doesn't make sense.
I'd like all the fans and to always be in the premier league please.

Regarding the OP:
Playing poorly and winning - sounds like a premier league thing to do to me :-)
The fact we went into this game and all you heard from Cardiff was 'these are the games we need to win' whereas we had a 'just win' attitude. Everything about the mentality of Burnley has changed, and great performance or not, I love it.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:11 pm

Hey Mr Spoonerism.. Does it really matter what other people think ? People see things differently and like to voice their own opinions whether it's to your liking or not.. It an open forum so let's leave it at that.. This forum has enough bullies on it that gang up on people who post things that they don't agree with... :twisted:

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 345 times
Has Liked: 1571 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:14 pm

NL Claret wrote:You beat me to it SHP, always love a self appointed spokesman for all Clarets. If we were to have a spokesman would it be Cleveleys Claret??!! :lol:
I wouldn’t vote for him!

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:15 pm

Dike Muff wrote:I don’t post much on here; I just tend to browse.
As such I have to say that I’m somewhat baffled by some of the negativity towards yesterday afternoon’s win at Cardiff.
Yes, we finished 7th last term, and that was wonderful. It was also a bit of a one-off. Our usual Premier League Season will most likely be a struggle to get the requisite points to stay up, as early as possible. I don’t think that that will be different this year, irrespective of last Season’s success.
That in mind, yesterday we went to a fellow Relegation Rival’s ground and took 3 points. Yes, we didnt play well, but that’s the nature of the business sometimes. Two years ago we were playing a lot better than that and getting nothing; not getting our first away win until the end of the Season. We’ve got that monkey off our back before the end of September.
Let’s see what Saturday’s Match will bring. Eminently beatable opponents who, unlike last Season, have had a terrible start and will be a lot less inclined to shut up shop like they did this time last year. There’s a real chance for three wins on the spin; and that should not be sniffed at.

Onwards and upwards.

UTC!
well said. and for those in rest homes by the sea .I have had a season ticket since 1974!

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:32 pm

Thanks for starting this post Mr Muff.
20 likes (to date) restores my belief that the majority on here aren't trolls/attention-seeking whingers.

Stproc
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Stproc » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:58 pm

There are some great points on this topic along with the usual garbage from the usual suspects.
You stay up by beating the sides at the bottom and that has always got to be the number 1 target. When we went down our record against the bottom sides was poor and down we went.

CharlieinNewMexico

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:27 pm

I pay for cable AND a yearly subscription to NBC Sports to have it on my regular TV, and so do millions of Americans. Where does the negotiated TV money from that go? To the 20 league clubs. You can put money in the club without being there.
These 2 users liked this post: PhiladelphiaChris Claret-On-A-T-Rex

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1043 times
Has Liked: 993 times

Post by MrTopTier » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:15 pm

Good thread, people should use perspective a bit more often and whilst they are at it, a bit of thought before posting wouldn't go amiss either.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 305 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Bullabill » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:12 am

Claret-On-A-T-Rex ............

"..... and of course, the incisive commentary."

"He's got a yellow card - he'll need to be careful now."
"A save he'd be expected to make"
"The happier of the two managers"
"There was contact. If he'd gone down it would be a penalty"
"That's not the start they were looking for"
"His efforts can't be underestimated"
"They're taking some fluids on board"

etc, etc, etc.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:22 am

I watched it in Spain so the commentary was in Spanish but I take it the point you are making is that the commentary is usually a load of generic soundbites.
A bit like the OP's original post of "You can't knock the football because we won", followed by, "You can't even talk about the football unless you go on the turf (even though it was an away game??)".

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2753 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:02 am

Wisswosswass wrote:Bob on! I've personally not been on Turf Moor since 2008. However I was a regular back in the 80's and 90's, specifically the 80's when a good proportion of people on this board couldn't be bothered. The anomaly between fans who attended, those who have have passed on/been born yadda yadda. Suggests there's a good number of plastics on here who only started supporting us when we were successful at Championship level.
I don't go on games for various reasons but certainly have a valid right to comment on our club as much as anyone. I was there when most of you weren't!
Why should someone who started supporting the team after doing well in the Championship be called plastic? Are all new young fans plastic? Or do they all have to be 50+ and have experienced the bad old days not to be deemed plastic?

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:03 pm

Wisswosswass. I have a question for you. Check out Page 3, under "FAO Wisswosswass". Thanks.

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:05 pm

By the way, I came over in 1989 just so that I could support my club while they were floundering in the old 4th Division.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3163 times
Has Liked: 6754 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:15 pm

I think I'd be right in saying that in the last couple of seasons we've not done particularly well against relegation (fellow) candidates.
Results like this at Cardiff are massive, even if we played shyte.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:41 pm

boatshed bill wrote:I think I'd be right in saying that in the last couple of seasons we've not done particularly well against relegation (fellow) candidates.
Results like this at Cardiff are massive, even if we played shyte.
Exactly in a couple of months if we are in the top half of the league,no-one will remember the rank bad performance against Cardiff,you don't earn points for style just for scoring goals.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1465 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:37 am

Most threads on here at the moment are quite predictable. This had one obviously predictable point and something that was unexpected.

Someone made a reasonable point in a well written way.
Cleveleys was negative and made a tit of himself.

I'll leave it to you to decide which was which.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:18 am

"rebarbative" - word of the week

And, perfect for the likes of Colin from Cardiff ;)