How long can we survive at this level ? What is our level ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: How long can we survive at this level ? What is our level ?

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:56 pm

paulus the woodgnome wrote:http://www.footballstatisticsresults.co ... tball.htmlIt looks like the rich clubs will continue to dominate. It wasn't always thus. If this link works, here is the 74/75 Div 1 table. Who can tell me what is unusual about it?
22 clubs and no Man Utd?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:58 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:22 clubs and no Man Utd?
2 points for a win?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:03 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Your outlook and ambition on this is clearly different to mine.

If we went all the way down the leagues I would still watch us. My favourite year was 1991/92

But I definitely wouldnt get depressed by us going down. Unhappy? Of course. But until that happens pointless being upset over something that might not happen.

I might get hit by a bus tomorrow. I am not going to stay up tonight thinking about it!
Some of my earliest memories were in the old division 4 days,York,Cardiff and Preston in the Sherpa Van season,back in the luddite age of radio commentaries,i only attended a couple of home games in those days of living in the town,both against Torquay bizarrely,but did take the trip to Wembley in 1988.

It may have been the hardcore supporters or the terracing,but the atmosphere was much better then,this isn't unique to Burnley,Arsenal and West Ham have struggled to get their home fans enthused recently,and as for the Theatre of Dreams the less said the better.

Of course we all want BFC to compete at the highest level,but there are more important things in life than sport.

If we are relegated i'll be disappointed for a few days but that'll soon pass,and i'll look forward to the next campaign and the cricket season.

What would be an experience would be winning major silverware,so that if in a few years we where plying our trade in League 1,at least we'd have a lasting memento to remember.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

paulus the woodgnome
Been Liked: 258 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:15 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:2 points for a win?
Yes, i didn't think it would take long.

paulus the woodgnome
Been Liked: 258 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:16 am

Burnley, Luton and Carlisle in the division above Manure. Wow.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:25 am

I want us to be competitive at the level we’re playing at. We’re here, and have been for 3 years now, so this is our level. I want to see us improve year on year on and off the pitch, as I’m sure any self respecting supporter would. It’s the aim of the game, after all.

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:29 am

Man Utd aren't in it?

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2325 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:04 am

Stayingup wrote:Great. That's cheered me up.

As it stands it's going to be tough to maintain our current status.
But suppose we had outside investment. Like Wolves for example. Who knows then.

Does ""outside investment"" mean having a fat bloke with a cigar and a trillby turn up and lob a few suitcases of wedge into the boardroom?.... for nothing...nada...nil return? Wake up....fat blokes come smelling round coz theysmell the gravy train....they're fat because they milk football clubs not because they want to get rid of their brass.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2244 times
Has Liked: 2157 times

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:25 am

Rightfoot wrote:I made a bold claim at the end of last season that we will be in league 1 in 5 years and I stick with that.
I bet you can't wait for that so you can say, "see I told you so".

Bizzare train of thoughts/mentality to have.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1769 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:05 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Your outlook and ambition on this is clearly different to mine.
Outlooks and ambitions has zero effect on what happens on the pitch. Why invest so much emotion, passion, belief in something you have absolutely no control over.

You might as well become an evangelical Christian. It’s pointlesss.

Sure, buy your tickets, clap when you want to clap, cheer when when you feel need to cheer. Go ahead, and start some stupid ******* song which you saw on another bunch of fans do on YouTube. It only your money that helps.

But don’t invest your hopes, desires and mental well-being on Sean Dyche and millionaire footballers... because they don’t care about you. ****’um. The same goes the the Premier League.

Enjoy everything around your life, your family, kids and the car you want to buy... that’s all manageable by you. Burnley buying an established 20 a season striker, who might keep us in the league and sell shirts in China has nothing to do with you.

Burnley doing **** in the transfer market, having an ugly shirt sponsor or building a square extension rather than a curved disabled area has nothing to do with fans. Yet I read their comments on here absolutely FUMING about it... it’s none of their concern.

Don’t dream about winning silverware at Wembley. That will certainly never happen under Dyche... because we have to ‘survive’ - and it’ll be the same next season and the season after that.

How long can we survive?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:16 am

Only way to win silverware or go on European Tours is to continue what we are doing.

Every year we survive, we buy better players and have a better squad.

Problem is that other clubs don't worry about costs due to billionaire owners and the only thing keeping us up is the brilliance of the manager.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3436 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:18 am

claptrappers_union wrote:Yes, they are massive clubs... sleeping giants maybe, like Leeds, the Sheffield clubs and Aston Villa.
Sleeping giants my arse.
West Ham are a joke of a club, Newcastle getting the same but neither are massive or sleeping giants.
You don't associate either with a rich history of winning trophies.

Likewise the others you've just mentioned, they're formerly big clubs but, aside from Villa, they're nothing but average championship clubs.
Leeds have been outside the top flight since 2004...
This user liked this post: houseboy

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:21 am

I think people are comparing us to other mid table teams who have gone down under poor management and then gone down to league 1. I think people forget that we are building up huge funds and we will be able to keep all of our players and sign a few when we eventually go down. We won’t be having to sell players and will be in a very good position due to all of the money we are saving up now.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:24 am

We are not saving that much mate

Once the TV money drops to parachute payments, we'd have enough for a real go for a couple of seasons at best, possibly even only one.

And if wages continue to skyrocket in the premier league, then it becomes harder and harder for us.

SussexDon1inIreland
Been Liked: 1277 times
Has Liked: 8528 times

Post by SussexDon1inIreland » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:43 am

Claptrappers_union Said
I’ve come to this acceptance now. I’ve decided that I don’t care for football anymore. I enjoy watching Burnley but that’s it. I’ve no interest in it elsewhere, I like watching it, but I don’t care.

100% agree same for me

UTC

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:59 am

Currently clubs like Bournemouth, Watford, Huddersfield, Southampton, Newcastle, Cardiff, Fulham and Brighton make the position we are in sustainable with a fair wind. We need the Championship to promote 1 or 2 clubs similar to these each year, Brentford would be my choice this year and maybe even a late run by Bristol City. I feel we are going to be in the situation for years to come, constantly looking for 3 clubs we can finish above. Enjoy the ride, embrace it as it may not last UTC.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:19 am

JimMcDonald wrote:Its going to happen one day. Luckily for us we have seen some of the best days at this football club. But in reality we cant compete with other teams in terms of fanbase and spending power. So when we do go down we shouldnt be angry or upset. We have been punching above our weight for a while now and long may it continue but i seriously think we dont have many more seasons left at this level.

Even teams in the Championship are way bigger than us and could outspend us and get alot higher attendances.

So my question is what is our level in English football ? I say mid table Championship level at best based on club size.

But im not complaining where we are at the moment i just know it wont last forever and i hope if when we do go down one level or even 2 we dont get a big club mentality because we ARE little old Burnley.
We don't have a level, no club does. As soon as you start saying that a club has a level you are putting limits on what can be achieved or maintained. If you look at our history you would have to say we 'belong' in the PL. We spent 24 years unbroken there at one time and much of our history has been there so I guess you would have to say that is where, if anywhere, we belong. The fact of the matter is a club belongs wherever they are. In the 70's United were relegated and for a season they belonged in the old second division. There is no such thing as a PL club in the Championship of vice versa.
This discussion was had, coincidentally, last night on the radio with regard to Stanley and the question was asked just how far can a club like that go. They are doing remarkably well at the moment after being odds on favourites for relegation after their promotion. A chap on there (don't know for sure who he was but he was a Stanley fan in the studio) was very realistic but concluded that they will be wherever they will be, and so it is with all clubs.
And please please please don't use that bloody awful term 'little old Burnley' it is demeaning to your club. We are a proud club with a great history, a better history than many clubs considered to be far bigger than us and you should be proud of that. I am sure you are but that is an awful phrase.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3161 times
Has Liked: 6750 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:26 am

Or what about if the TV money dried up?

If it does we really are in it.
As I say outside investment. Getting a rich Russian a visa
Might do it!!!

I think that loss of TV revenue would make the less successful but heavily bankrolled clubs much less attractive. Might work to our advantage, being self-financed.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:27 am

One thing that would be a really, really, really bad idea at the moment would be to have us taken over by a Russian billionaire.
This user liked this post: levraiclaret

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:45 am

The natural level for the size of club is probably Championship but the club is evolving and the only way for it continue to is to stay on the PL. if we had outside investment who knows what might happen. If we did get relegated we are probably better equipped than most clubs but the clubs aim has to be to grow and not to be pigeon holed into being a 'smaller' club whatever that means. You wouldn't really regard Bournemouth as a small club now but they get gates of 10,000. Football has changed. Remember the likes of Wolves, Swansea and Cardiff languishing in the depths of division 4 with us.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:57 am

claptrappers_union wrote:Outlooks and ambitions has zero effect on what happens on the pitch. Why invest so much emotion, passion, belief in something you have absolutely no control over.

You might as well become an evangelical Christian. It’s pointlesss.

Sure, buy your tickets, clap when you want to clap, cheer when when you feel need to cheer. Go ahead, and start some stupid ******* song which you saw on another bunch of fans do on YouTube. It only your money that helps.

But don’t invest your hopes, desires and mental well-being on Sean Dyche and millionaire footballers... because they don’t care about you. ****’um. The same goes the the Premier League.

Enjoy everything around your life, your family, kids and the car you want to buy... that’s all manageable by you. Burnley buying an established 20 a season striker, who might keep us in the league and sell shirts in China has nothing to do with you.

Burnley doing **** in the transfer market, having an ugly shirt sponsor or building a square extension rather than a curved disabled area has nothing to do with fans. Yet I read their comments on here absolutely FUMING about it... it’s none of their concern.

Don’t dream about winning silverware at Wembley. That will certainly never happen under Dyche... because we have to ‘survive’ - and it’ll be the same next season and the season after that.

How long can we survive?

Sorry you can only speak for yourself.

But Burnley shaped a lot about who I am and my life in general. My first ever memory is 1988 at wembley with my parents.
Memories growing up travelling to all sorts of places. Usually losing. But occasionally having the emotion of an unexpected win or survival.
Remembering thinking we had saved ourselves at Oldham. Before blowing it. Before saving ourselves v Plymouth. Tonnes of emotion.
Wembley 94. Wembley 09. Will never forget any of them. Memories with friends and family that will stay with me forever.
Then the amount of Saturdays and even Europe this season where I have travelled places and spent time with my younger family members. Similar experiences and emotions.
Finally winning at Ewood. The banter that comes with it. Beating the champions in every season we have been at this level.

If I wasnt so invested in it emotionally I wouldnt have all that. I wouldnt have the memories and the commonality with so many people from so many walks of life that I never otherwise would have been friends with.

The vast majority of my friends are from time watching Burnley. And many of my best memories are too.

I couldnt care whether Dyche or his players or the board give a **** about me. I just find it a really weird outlook.

Are you a Nihilist by any chance?
These 2 users liked this post: Anonymous levraiclaret

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:20 am

paulus the woodgnome wrote:http://www.footballstatisticsresults.co ... tball.htmlIt looks like the rich clubs will continue to dominate. It wasn't always thus. If this link works, here is the 74/75 Div 1 table. Who can tell me what is unusual about it?
Is it that only 3 of the teams in that league have remained in it up to the present?

Back to the question though and I wonder how Accrington Stanley fans might answer the same question? Perhaps they are Burnleyesque insofar as 'punching above their weight' and maybe aiming to play two sides next season that won the European Cup not that long ago. Dreamland but certainly not impossible.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:44 am

I don't understand the point of this thread.

We will stay in the PL until we get relegated and we will be out of it until we earn promotion back to it.

This kind of discussion only gives the doom monger the opportunity to be negative and talk us down the leagues and say I told you so

Enjoy what we have now, it may not last, but confidence breeds success so keep the negativity off this board please
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets vinrogue

Turftalkers mentor
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by Turftalkers mentor » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:47 am

Rightfoot wrote:I made a bold claim at the end of last season that we will be in league 1 in 5 years and I stick with that.
In football numerous clubs have fallen through the divisions . However I think the board and manager at our club have struck a good financial and player balance . There is no reason we shouldn't be in the Premiership for quite a while given the prevailing circumstances. You have the right to your opinion you're just erong
This user liked this post: Down_Rover

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5048 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:23 pm

How long is a piece of string.
We have done brilliant in this third spell in the Prem, and the longer we stay here the easier it will be to stay up. That said, eventually you get a season when the gods are against you and through sheer bad luck, mis management, you drop.
The important thing is when we do drop, we have to be in a position to put up a promotion fight for at least a few years, because it might take that long to get back.
That is why the dry powder store, to a club like Burnley, is essential. Without it we would be in danger of following the likes of Sunderland and dropping straight through.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:We are not saving that much mate

Once the TV money drops to parachute payments, we'd have enough for a real go for a couple of seasons at best, possibly even only one.

And if wages continue to skyrocket in the premier league, then it becomes harder and harder for us.
Wish I could save £100 million over a three year period, Lancaster

Paranoid
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Paranoid » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:43 pm

Man Utd in Division 2?
Spurs/Chelsea in bottom 4?

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Not had a definitive answer yet to the question posed re; league table 74/75. Waiting in anticipation!

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:54 pm

we are in the Premier League to stay.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:59 pm

This is true Royboy, but we haven't got £100 million in the bank

And all you have to do is take away our wage bill from the TV money to get an idea of how quickly that money will run out.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:00 pm

JimMcDonald wrote:Newcastle. West Ham & Wolves are massive clubs
West Ham??? Don't make me larf (to use their parlance). An overblown, non-achieving club of no historical stature whose fans seem to think that because they are based in London and are fortunate enough to be in an area with a large fan base they should be winning the PL (or be Champions of England), neither of which they have ever achieved or come close to achieving in their history. They are, at best, an ordinary club who, for whatever reason, have spent decades being the unjustified darlings of the media.

Crap club.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:01 pm

Swansea, Stoke and West Brom were regarded as fairly established.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:11 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:One thing that would be a really, really, really bad idea at the moment would be to have us taken over by a Russian billionaire.
You're kidding aren't you? Yes you are, I know you are. There is only so much a bunch of local businessmen, how ever well-meaning can do. Look at Chelsea, they were pretty much an average nothing type of club until Abramovich came along, I wouldn't mind some of what they've got, wouldn't you?

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1769 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:16 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote: Are you a Nihilist by any chance?

As much I enjoy watching them win, I feel the same emotions as you. All of the things you posted I share with you. But in my thirties now. Burnley staying the Premier League isn't a concern for me anymore.

You might as well put the same amount of passion into Coronation Street, WWE or (God forbid) Cricket... actually don't.

You have no control over any of it. So do what I do, hope that Burnley win, have a bit of a micro-sulk when they lose, but for everything else in Burnley FC bubble - just accept is ultimately pointless because you cant influence any of it.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:16 pm

Blackrod wrote:The natural level for the size of club is probably Championship but the club is evolving and the only way for it continue to is to stay on the PL. if we had outside investment who knows what might happen. If we did get relegated we are probably better equipped than most clubs but the clubs aim has to be to grow and not to be pigeon holed into being a 'smaller' club whatever that means. You wouldn't really regard Bournemouth as a small club now but they get gates of 10,000. Football has changed. Remember the likes of Wolves, Swansea and Cardiff languishing in the depths of division 4 with us.
I can't understand people on here talking about our natural level being the Championship. As I've said there is no such thing but if there were it would surely be based on historical things as well, and historically we have spent huge amounts of time in the top flight, it doesn't give us any right to be there but it is where we have spent very large amounts of our history.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:40 pm

Out of interest, with this thread in mind.
Leicester
Leeds
Southampton
Forrest
Brum City
Sheff United
West Ham
All of these have been cited at times on this board as being 'bigger' clubs than Burnley. The first three have all been in the top flight less than Burnley, Forrest have spent exactly the same amount of time and the last three no more than 5 years more.
In addition only Leeds (3) have been Champions more (Leicester, Forrest and Sheff Utd once each) with the other 3 on zero.

So where do we stand in the 'big club' stakes?
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8508 times
Has Liked: 18251 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Ric_C wrote:Another Stan Ternant quote
“Champagne tastes on beer money”

The beer might be a lot more expensive nowadays, but so’s the champagne
Another Stan Ternant quote
"Neil ******* Warnock is a ******* lying cheating *******"

Nice to putone over on him on Sunday for Stan..... :D :D :D

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:19 pm

houseboy wrote:Out of interest, with this thread in mind.
Leicester
Leeds
Southampton
Forrest
Brum City
Sheff United
West Ham
All of these have been cited at times on this board as being 'bigger' clubs than Burnley. The first three have all been in the top flight less than Burnley, Forrest have spent exactly the same amount of time and the last three no more than 5 years more.
In addition only Leeds (3) have been Champions more (Leicester, Forrest and Sheff Utd once each) with the other 3 on zero.

So where do we stand in the 'big club' stakes?
All of the above have either rich owners, or an infrastructure that would appeal to a rich owner. Their locations also mean they get considerably more support than us, and the potential for even greater support if they can get promoted.

As for the historical "BIG" club thing, you are obviously young, no dig intended, but in days of yore the playing field was fairly level. We didn't have to compete with mega bucks to by players, most of the teams we made ourselves. Add to it there was never a need to sell any star players and we had a sustainable run at the top of the tree. That changed when the maximum wage went out of the window, and suddenly teams could pay more than us. we then had to try and compete, and the only way we could do that was by selling the occasional star to fund the club. It was a recipe for disaster, due to no ones fault really, just a natural process.
So when you see the old farts on here saying that we are happy to be where we are, and don't want to see us break the bank to try and sustain this run at the top of the tree, it's not because we aren't passionate about everything Claret and Blue, but because we've seen it before and know the danger signs.
I've no idea how long it will last, just enjoy every second and store it in your memory, because the day MAY come again when you, like us once, can only look back to the good old days.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:32 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:As much I enjoy watching them win, I feel the same emotions as you. All of the things you posted I share with you. But in my thirties now. Burnley staying the Premier League isn't a concern for me anymore.

You might as well put the same amount of passion into Coronation Street, WWE or (God forbid) Cricket... actually don't.

You have no control over any of it. So do what I do, hope that Burnley win, have a bit of a micro-sulk when they lose, but for everything else in Burnley FC bubble - just accept is ultimately pointless because you cant influence any of it.
At the risk of sounding nihilstic you could say that about all of life, every bit of it, but unless you want to kill yourself with depression you have to make choices, and those choices, among other things, mean deciding what makes you happy, at least to some degree, and it doesn't matter what those things are. Nobody, and I mean nobody, should try to give people advice on how or in what way to be happy. Millions of people have been happy until someone has come along and started to tell them why they shouldn't be, then they become unhappy, all because another person has rocked their boat. If someone is happy then leave them alone, there is no reason to explain that they can't be because it is a different kind of happiness from yours.

I DO agree with you about cricket though - how can anyone be happy watching that? ;)

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:36 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:All of the above have either rich owners, or an infrastructure that would appeal to a rich owner. Their locations also mean they get considerably more support than us, and the potential for even greater support if they can get promoted.

As for the historical "BIG" club thing, you are obviously young, no dig intended, but in days of yore the playing field was fairly level. We didn't have to compete with mega bucks to by players, most of the teams we made ourselves. Add to it there was never a need to sell any star players and we had a sustainable run at the top of the tree. That changed when the maximum wage went out of the window, and suddenly teams could pay more than us. we then had to try and compete, and the only way we could do that was by selling the occasional star to fund the club. It was a recipe for disaster, due to no ones fault really, just a natural process.
So when you see the old farts on here saying that we are happy to be where we are, and don't want to see us break the bank to try and sustain this run at the top of the tree, it's not because we aren't passionate about everything Claret and Blue, but because we've seen it before and know the danger signs.
I've no idea how long it will last, just enjoy every second and store it in your memory, because the day MAY come again when you, like us once, can only look back to the good old days.
Sorry to burst your bubble mate but I'm 64, been supporting Burnley all my life and first walked on the Turf in 1969.
As far as the 'big club' thing goes my post was simply in answer to those who say our 'place' is in the Championship when, historically, that has never been the case.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:54 pm

There's are saying 'nothing lasts forever' and don't look too far ahead'. I think they are appropriate, we can only live in the here and now. Lets enjoy it while we can and hope the club can build and progress both on and off the pitch year on year.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:55 pm

houseboy wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble mate but I'm 64, been supporting Burnley all my life and first walked on the Turf in 1969.
As far as the 'big club' thing goes my post was simply in answer to those who say our 'place' is in the Championship when, historically, that has never been the case.

But if you are 64, you shouldn't need it explaining to you. If you had asked the same question to fans in 1965, you would have got a completely different answer. But times change and some of us can accept those changes, some of us can't.
I always thought you were an advocate for paying over the odds for players and haranging the board for letting us down. Very surprising if you'd lived through the 70s and 80s of BFC.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:10 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:But if you are 64, you shouldn't need it explaining to you. If you had asked the same question to fans in 1965, you would have got a completely different answer. But times change and some of us can accept those changes, some of us can't.
I always thought you were an advocate for paying over the odds for players and haranging the board for letting us down. Very surprising if you'd lived through the 70s and 80s of BFC.
No, not really, I'm actually a firm advocate of NOT going mad with money generally, I hate the money in football, it's just that to compete, whether we like it or not, the money has to be spent and let's face it we are not exactly short. I am eager to see the day, if it ever comes,that Sky either pull the plug or go bust just to see the reaction of the so-called big clubs and all those wages they'll struggle to pay.
As for any explanation I'm not certain what you mean. My original post you answered was simply pointing out the difference between us and those considered by others to be 'big' clubs and the fact that HISTORICALLY they aren't, nothing more.
Like many on here now I feel myself more and more alienated from football because of the money and the big club bias. To be honest I go to watch Stanley occasionally and I get as much enjoyment, football wise, from that as from going to Burnley. Obviously I'm not as biased but the enjoyment of seeing a bunch of players trying their hardest for a few hardcore fans is actually good to see. I'd like to see the much discussed European super league formed then we could be rid of the big 6 and football could start again.
These 2 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret Claret

boyyanno
Been Liked: 514 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:23 pm

We are capable or staying at this level providing three teams are worse than us. That's it, that is the only requirement.

When you say it like that it's very plausible that we can stay in this division for a long time. The longer we spend in the premier league the more we should in theory strengthen, distancing ourselves from the teams coming up.

This year it's been hard to pick 3 worse than us. Although one or two (Cardiff especially) look doomed. That shows how important it is to strengthen year on year and we didn't really do that this window and look worse because of it. I think Dyche will keep us up, but I really hope we learn from this windows failings and invest to stay in the division. Standing still is not good enough in this league.

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:27 pm

houseboy wrote: ..... then we could be rid of the big 6 and football could start again.
It's a shame but could be the only way to get football back to being competitive. I hate the mega millions in football and the dik heads it pushes to the fore
These 2 users liked this post: houseboy boatshed bill

Let'sChaseTheDragon
Been Liked: 42 times

Post by Let'sChaseTheDragon » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:52 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:We have spent more time in this league than any other in our history.

There is no natural level. Its nonsense.

When we got to The Championship under Stan, people thought that was above our level. Just because we had recently been in the doldrums. And because there were the likes of Forest, Sheffields two clubs, Bastards, City etc there. But the truth is we were in that league because we deserved to be. And the same was true of them.

There is absolutely no reason we cant stay here forever. Other than if we start to think we dont deserve it and then start to act like it...
Agree. The level of closed mindedness and defeatism from some on this board is quite sad to read. Hopefully the board and club don't share similar views. The harder task was getting here- now it's ours to lose. Competition is normal, and it's up to ourselves to figure out ways to overcome.

Hoffenheim, Uber, Apple etc. didn't constrain themselves with their thinking- and they started from zilch- so why should we, when we already have it!?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:21 pm

boyyanno wrote:We are capable or staying at this level providing three teams are worse than us. That's it, that is the only requirement.

When you say it like that it's very plausible that we can stay in this division for a long time. The longer we spend in the premier league the more we should in theory strengthen, distancing ourselves from the teams coming up.

This year it's been hard to pick 3 worse than us. Although one or two (Cardiff especially) look doomed. That shows how important it is to strengthen year on year and we didn't really do that this window and look worse because of it. I think Dyche will keep us up, but I really hope we learn from this windows failings and invest to stay in the division. Standing still is not good enough in this league.
Agree with most of what you say, apart from last two sentences.
We did invest, just admit it wasn't to your liking, it's easier.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:27 pm

houseboy wrote:You're kidding aren't you? Yes you are, I know you are. There is only so much a bunch of local businessmen, how ever well-meaning can do. Look at Chelsea, they were pretty much an average nothing type of club until Abramovich came along, I wouldn't mind some of what they've got, wouldn't you?
For an average nothing type club, they'd won half a dozen trophies in the 10 years leading up to Abramovich buying them, including a European Cup Winners Cup.

I wish we were a nothing type club like them...

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:46 pm

Carlisle had a different points per win than the rest of the division. They were on 3 points for a win against everyone else's 2 points for a win - and still finished bottom!

Or, is it that all the London clubs finished below us? With no ManUre in sight either?

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2010 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 pm

Think it depends on how far the board want to take it. We're in a global marketplace and should they wish to go for it there is no reason Burnley cannot be a global brand - with global returns. Green Bay packers, spring to mind.... how many millions of $ do they pull in from people who couldn't find it on a map of Wisconsin ?

If we decide we're comfortable and ok the wheels will start to come off. (and I'm a traditionalist :-o )