White swan fence

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Re: White swan fence

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:59 pm

umezushi is superb

Indecisive
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Indecisive » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:umezushi is superb

Having a young family and busy with work, treats like this are a bit few and fair between.

Saying that I’ve just booked the White Swan :D and I think I’ll squeeze umezushi in before Christmas... It looks incredible.

Taking the team at work to wreckfish in Liverpool next week as well!

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:29 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:3 course each and no doubt some drinks, very reasonable for Michelin starred food.
Each to their own i suppose if you can afford it but will be starving 2 hours later as usually nothing on the plates.

Plenty of ten bob millionaires still go up that area so they have to look good going into debt i suppose.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2594 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:36 pm

umezushi is indeed superb.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:42 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Each to their own i suppose if you can afford it but will be starving 2 hours later as usually nothing on the plates.

Plenty of ten bob millionaires still go up that area so they have to look good going into debt i suppose.
Starving 2 hours later? you've obviously never been.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:44 pm

Indecisive wrote:Having a young family and busy with work, treats like this are a bit few and fair between.

Saying that I’ve just booked the White Swan :D and I think I’ll squeeze umezushi in before Christmas... It looks incredible.

Taking the team at work to wreckfish in Liverpool next week as well!
If Wreckfish is like Gary Usher's other restaurants it will be superb. We live in Didsbury so have Hispi there which is part of the same family of restaurants, we love it.

Indecisive

Post by Indecisive » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:00 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:If Wreckfish is like Gary Usher's other restaurants it will be superb. We live in Didsbury so have Hispi there which is part of the same family of restaurants, we love it.
Yeah I’ve been to sticky walnut and hispi. Love his style of food, seemingly not alone, as he’s opening places all over.... just launched in Prescott (unusual choice of location) and I believe a Manchester City centre venue is not far away from opening. They are great with kids as well, which is a big plus!

Just through the places listed on this thread, you can tell the food scene has progressed massively in the last few years in the north west. Whilst a lot of bigger high profile chains are dying out, some cracking independents and smaller operators (like Gary Usher) seem to be flourishing. Hope it continues to grow.

I’d rather eat out once every month in a white swan or hispi style venue, as oppose to once a fortnight in a microwave haven like sycamore farm. If that makes me a snob/ten bob millionaire etc etc... I couldn’t give a ****.
This user liked this post: Billy Balfour

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2594 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:07 pm

Indecisive wrote:I’d rather eat out once every month in a white swan or hispi style venue, as oppose to once a fortnight in a microwave haven like sycamore farm. If that makes me a snob/ten bob millionaire etc etc... I couldn’t give a ****.
i know loads of people who love it but i've never found hispi anything to write home about. good sunday roast though, if a little sparse.

totally agree with the above - its great to see places like this flourishing - so many good independent places to eat these days.

chorleyclaret
Been Liked: 5 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by chorleyclaret » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:11 pm

brexit wrote:Yes I was banned from the Dirty Duck in the 80's and had to do my drinking at the Harpers,; which was a far superior establishment due to the pool table and a couple of waitresses of loose morals.
Are you from Wheatley Lane brexit, perhaps our paths have crossed?

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:13 pm

I agree, Indecisive. I'm a decent cook - so I have high expectations when dining out. At the very least, it has to be on par with what I can dish up at home. I avoid 'ping food' places. Mind you, judging by a couple of comments on this thread, some people don't know any better. God knows what kind of crap they eat at home.
Last edited by Billy Balfour on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:13 pm

Have you got loose morals

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Two new restaurants opened in Burnley and Padiham recently. Carnivoro is where the old Post Office was in Burnley and Nines is onBurnley Rd in Padiham.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:29 pm

mikeS wrote:Two new restaurants opened in Burnley and Padiham recently. Carnivoro is where the old Post Office was in Burnley and Nines is onBurnley Rd in Padiham.
I went to Carnivoro on Sunday night and it was very good. A very welcome addition to Burnley centre. Nice food and have done a great job on the building.
I haven't been to Nines yet but a lot of friends are raving about it.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:56 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:I went to Carnivoro on Sunday night and it was very good. A very welcome addition to Burnley centre. Nice food and have done a great job on the building.
Looks very impressive. But problem with them places sometimes is the food doesnt live up to it... Hopefully this place does. Looks the part.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:09 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Looks very impressive. But problem with them places sometimes is the food doesnt live up to it... Hopefully this place does. Looks the part.
The manager Tom was constantly going round checking the food was up to everybody's standards. The staff can't do enough for you and to say they only opened this weekend were superb.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:33 pm

License gone in for an American food place St James’s Street as well.

Been empty for a few years for the town centre with regards to food, good to see more places opening.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:00 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:The manager Tom was constantly going round checking the food was up to everybody's standards. The staff can't do enough for you and to say they only opened this weekend were superb.
Sounds good will be sure to give it a go soon.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Loyalclaret wrote:License gone in for an American food place St James’s Street as well.

Been empty for a few years for the town centre with regards to food, good to see more places opening.
Fake “american” places and fake “diners” make me angry

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:49 pm

1fatclaret wrote:Thoroughly deserved and not just for the food. The staff there are all brilliant. We had our wedding reception there earlier in the year and it was the best meal of my life. Everyone was stunned at the quality they produced, for 36 people, at once.

When the 2nd course came out (Guinea fowl ravioli with mushroom and cep sauce and crispy onions) the place fell silent. Everyone just looking around saying "wow". A never forget moment.

Hopefully doesn't attract too many star struck tourists so that locals can still get in.

As for Wile E coyotes comment, proper bell end. Stick to Sycamore farm.
Yeah but enough about all that, how was the Audi Limousine to get you there?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:crap, not just that place, but all these silly little pubs flogging food at exoribtant prices, £70, are you joking ?
unless there were 12 of you, you were ripped off.
You ever been there ?
Or you prefer the 3 day old carvery at Sycamore Farm for £6 ?

d[-_-]b
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by d[-_-]b » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:04 pm

Great place and fully deserved.

The food is excellent and the service is just as good; welcoming with a warm atmosphere unlike some 'fine dining' establishments.

They're also keeping the prices the same which I feel @ £25 for 2 courses is good value for the quality. Fair play to them.

Walt
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Walt » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:13 pm

The Enclosure wrote:Only place I can remember getting a Michelin star anywhere close to here was in Ilkley across the border.It was called The Box Tree restaurant.
At one time years ago it had two Michelin Stars,just googled and the place is still in business with one Michelin Star.
https://www.theboxtree.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This place lost their star this year.

Just booked for next week at The White Swan, really looking forward to it. 1st trip to a Michelin place and I've always wanted to do it.

Nearly booked at L'enclume a few years back but Mrs didn't fancy it. He's got 2 stars there now.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:50 pm

Walt wrote:This place lost their star this year.

Just booked for next week at The White Swan, really looking forward to it. 1st trip to a Michelin place and I've always wanted to do it.

Nearly booked at L'enclume a few years back but Mrs didn't fancy it. He's got 2 stars there now.
Lenclume is amazing. We go every year. Best meals I’ve had out.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:23 pm

1fatclaret wrote:Thoroughly deserved and not just for the food. The staff there are all brilliant. We had our wedding reception there earlier in the year and it was the best meal of my life. Everyone was stunned at the quality they produced, for 36 people, at once.

When the 2nd course came out (Guinea fowl ravioli with mushroom and cep sauce and crispy onions) the place fell silent. Everyone just looking around saying "wow". A never forget moment.

Hopefully doesn't attract too many star struck tourists so that locals can still get in.

As for Wile E coyotes comment, proper bell end. Stick to Sycamore farm.
you arrogant pretentious, ill mannered dullard, guinea fowl ravioli !! jesus , nothing worse than a food bore, unless its a stupid food bore.

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:48 pm

Walt wrote:This place lost their star this year.

Let us know how you get on. I've booked in for my Birthday. Similarly I've never been to a Starred place but plenty of Rosette ones. Ironically the last AA Rosette one I had was at the Black Swan in the lakes a few months back. Went to Wreckfish as mentioned earlier on the thread just after it opened. I actually thought it was a bit overpriced if anything, but decent nonetheless.

It's nice to know that there are local people and Clarets fans who appreciate good food and the work that goes into preparing it. You'll always get the ignorant ones who are happy to stuff themselves down at Spoons' for a fiver on crap produce and whine about how much these 'poncy' places are

Indecisive

Post by Indecisive » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:09 am

Went to the white swan last week.

Fantastic crispy potato skin starter (a lot more interesting and refined than it sounds). The most perfectly cooked halibut for mains and a stunning chocolate fondant to finish off.

£32 for three courses and worth every penny. They’ve upgraded a bit since I last went... great crockery. Atmosphere and service still ultra relaxed and genuine though.

Top quality restaurant.

Looking forward to the next visit.

Belial

Post by Belial » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:14 pm

Indecisive wrote:Went to the white swan last week.

Fantastic crispy potato skin starter (a lot more interesting and refined than it sounds). The most perfectly cooked halibut for mains and a stunning chocolate fondant to finish off.

£32 for three courses and worth every penny. They’ve upgraded a bit since I last went... great crockery. Atmosphere and service still ultra relaxed and genuine though.

Top quality restaurant.

Looking forward to the next visit.
For what you're getting, that's a really good price. Wreckfish was about £80 for two of us but on a set menu and not enough for me

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:36 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:I went to Carnivoro on Sunday night and it was very good. A very welcome addition to Burnley centre. Nice food and have done a great job on the building.
Been to Nines and was nice but nothing special for a pizza and quite expensive for what we got.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:37 pm

Belial wrote:For what you're getting, that's a really good price. Wreckfish was about £80 for two of us but on a set menu and not enough for me
£19 for 3 course at lunch at Hispi which is excellent value for money.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:37 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:The manager Tom was constantly going round checking the food was up to everybody's standards. The staff can't do enough for you and to say they only opened this weekend were superb.
But why put beer at nearly £5 a pint ?

Will not last long with those prices - we are in Burnley not the centre of manchester.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:40 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:But why put beer at nearly £5 a pint ?

Will not last long with those prices - we are in Burnley not the centre of manchester.
The same with Illuminati, he wants to bring Manchester to Burnley.

There's lots of people who would rather go to nicer places and pay more now.

Belial

Post by Belial » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:47 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:£19 for 3 course at lunch at Hispi which is excellent value for money.
Sounds good, I'll add it to the list ;)

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:45 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:crap, not just that place, but all these silly little pubs flogging food at exoribtant prices, £70, are you joking ?
unless there were 12 of you, you were ripped off.
Prick.
This user liked this post: Belial

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:you arrogant pretentious, ill mannered dullard, guinea fowl ravioli !! jesus , nothing worse than a food bore, unless its a stupid food bore.
Massive prick.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:The same with Illuminati, he wants to bring Manchester to Burnley.

There's lots of people who would rather go to nicer places and pay more now.
There is and me included but people dont have that cash for a pint.

brexit
Been Liked: 236 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:01 pm

chorleyclaret wrote:Are you from Wheatley Lane brexit, perhaps our paths have crossed?
No Hapton Lad originally but hung out with some of undesirables from Higham and Padiham.
Last edited by brexit on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:43 pm

The food and chefs at the white swan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1pfPwb ... e=youtu.be

Indecisive

Post by Indecisive » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:45 am

Belial wrote:For what you're getting, that's a really good price. Wreckfish was about £80 for two of us but on a set menu and not enough for me
I tend to lunch more than anything else. Wreckfish is a 3 for £20 ish I think (similar to hispi and sticky walnut). There’s a big jump up in the evenings in fairness.

Jay Raynor talks a lot of sense about how ridiculous a lot of people are in there criticism of food prices.

People want restaurants to pay better wages, but also want their food for the price of a ready meal. They compare the price of a pint in a restaurant to the price of a pint in Wetherspoons. Bit bizarre really.

Belial

Post by Belial » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Indecisive wrote:I tend to lunch more than anything else. Wreckfish is a 3 for £20 ish I think (similar to hispi and sticky walnut). There’s a big jump up in the evenings in fairness.

Jay Raynor talks a lot of sense about how ridiculous a lot of people are in there criticism of food prices.

People want restaurants to pay better wages, but also want their food for the price of a ready meal. They compare the price of a pint in a restaurant to the price of a pint in Wetherspoons. Bit bizarre really.
Yeah I took my missus for her birthday to Wreckfish last December. I don't think it'd been open long. The food was very good if a little overpriced IMO, not for the actual standard - more the quantity. It was a set menu with xmas stuff on it. I'll be having a go at Hispi next i think.

I think people just see the product sometimes as the plate in front of them and nothing else

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:19 pm

People of normal financial means being riped-off by places with pretenitous names like Tarquin's and Bertram's. Ffs!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:43 pm

basil6345789 wrote:People of normal financial means being riped-off by places with pretenitous names like Tarquin's and Bertram's. Ffs!
Bit ironic from a frigging Basil!

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:55 pm

What, as in Fawlty Towers?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:13 am

No, as in brush!

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:35 am

basil6345789 wrote:People of normal financial means being riped-off by places with pretenitous names like Tarquin's and Bertram's. Ffs!
It wouldn’t suit if we were all proles.

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani
Been Liked: 212 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:33 am

How can a thread about a pub turn into a slaving match ! Only on utc!

Surely people can understand everybody has different tastes in food and drink , I love simple plain wholesome pub food homemade pie with chips and gravy washed down with a nice ale sat in front of a roaring fire , so I wouldn't be bothered if I didn't do in the swan at all , however I may go in for a try because I do appreciate fine food and cooking but if I'm hungry I'm happy at the tempest

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:03 am

Not about the White Swan but local eatery related...
The Guardian's restaurant review today (by Grace Dent) is on the Assheton Arms at Downham/Ribble Valley (linked below). It's very complementary.

It has to be said that Grace Dent is not easily pleased and is often very humorously scathing of some of the palces she reviews. The second link is last week's poor review

I no longer live in the area so unlikely to get there but I guess a few contributors here may have been/be thinking of going.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/o ... grace-dent

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/o ... ant-review

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:25 am

LeadBelly wrote:Not about the White Swan but local eatery related...
The Guardian's restaurant review today (by Grace Dent) is on the Assheton Arms at Downham/Ribble Valley (linked below). It's very complementary.

It has to be said that Grace Dent is not easily pleased and is often very humorously scathing of some of the palces she reviews. The second link is last week's poor review

I no longer live in the area so unlikely to get there but I guess a few contributors here may have been/be thinking of going.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/o ... grace-dent

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/o ... ant-review
Had booked to go there but some one told me it had gone downhill so didnt bother. may have to have a look after all.

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:17 pm

Does anyone know where Carl and Marie who had the Bay Horse went to? I know they moved to the copper Dragon brewery restaurant in Skipton then had a spell at Riaming Roosters but not heard where they are at present . The Bay Horse - people used to queue outside at 6:00 to get a table. Some excellent food there in the past.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:11 pm

mikeS wrote:Does anyone know where Carl and Marie who had the Bay Horse went to? I know they moved to the copper Dragon brewery restaurant in Skipton then had a spell at Riaming Roosters but not heard where they are at present . The Bay Horse - people used to queue outside at 6:00 to get a table. Some excellent food there in the past.
Used to play football for The Bay Horse about 6 or 7 years ago and not long before that it was very busy and popular regular.. But by the time we signed up it had started going quiet.

One of my good mates was head chef there and food and drink was excellent. And we had a lot of works nights out up there. But they had been getting a lot of complaints about noise / late leavers and it closed not long after.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:42 pm

mikeS wrote:Does anyone know where Carl and Marie who had the Bay Horse went to? I know they moved to the copper Dragon brewery restaurant in Skipton then had a spell at Riaming Roosters but not heard where they are at present . The Bay Horse - people used to queue outside at 6:00 to get a table. Some excellent food there in the past.
During that period you virtually sat on the knee of the person next to you it was that busy!

The place went quiet after that, CFS’ friend still produced good food but it never seemed the same.

Have not been to the Downham place for quite some time- will try again. Always found it better than there other Seafood Company places