Moving house before it's sold advice

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Moving house before it's sold advice

Post by duncandisorderly » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:36 pm

Within the next few weeks I'll be out of my house into a new one before I've sold my current one, which will be empty until it's sold.
I've never been in this situation before so I'm unsure what to do with regards gas, electric, water and council tax.

Ideally I'd like not to pay full whack on any or all, but is it simply a case of biting that particular bullet?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Moving house before it's sold advice

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:37 pm

Take the toilet out and you dont have to pay full council tax :-)

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:44 pm

We did this a couple if years ago and you need to remember to keep building insurance. You can inform the utilities but they don't physically cut anything off anyway.

From memory you still have to pay council tax.

sleeperclaret
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by sleeperclaret » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Normally you can have a property exempt from paying council tax for 6 months if it's empty. Ring the council and tell them you've moved out but still own it. They may send someone around to check it's got no furniture in (technically if you have a sofa someone could live there...) but other than that it'll be fine. After 6 months you get a reduction (depending on the council rules).

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:14 pm

There’s no exemption these days. You pay council tax on empty houses at the same rate as occupied ones.

duncandisorderly

Post by duncandisorderly » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:21 pm

Cheers for the replies but the general gist is that no; I get no benefit whatsoever for it being empty, yep?

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:23 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:Cheers for the replies but the general gist is that no; I get no benefit whatsoever for it being empty, yep?
Looking at it you may get a class C exemption of 100% discount for two months, then you’ll pay full rate. I rent out a place and have to pay 100% from the second a tenant moves out.

Myk
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by Myk » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:24 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:Cheers for the replies but the general gist is that no; I get no benefit whatsoever for it being empty, yep?

I got 2 months exemption on council tax when I bought mine but didn’t move in while work was being done. Think it depends on the council.

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:29 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:Within the next few weeks I'll be out of my house into a new one before I've sold my current one, which will be empty until it's sold.
I've never been in this situation before so I'm unsure what to do with regards gas, electric, water and council tax.

Ideally I'd like not to pay full whack on any or all, but is it simply a case of biting that particular bullet?
I've recently done this. I form the council it is empty. Do the same to the gas, electricity and water. I wasn't on a water meter so they didn't stop the payments but I went on a reduced rate. You will pay full whack for council tax unfortunately. Make sure your insurance company know is empty. They'll probably move you to a buildings only insurance.

Just make sure you are fully aware of the stamp duty and the rebate scheme. I think you have either 4 or 6 months to sell your existing property to claim the difference back. Gov website can tell you exactly and help with the claim.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:39 pm

Contact your utilities with final readings. To save dispute later.

john'sroseyspecs
Been Liked: 364 times

Post by john'sroseyspecs » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:40 pm

This may be out of date info so please check, but if contracts have been exchanged the the vendor has to have buildings insurance in place

duncandisorderly

Post by duncandisorderly » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:45 pm

It's still up for sale, so no contracts involved yet but insurance is relative pence anyway. Was just hoping there may be a nominal fee or whatever for gas, electric, water, rates or whatever other significant monthly bills are in place.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:08 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:It's still up for sale, so no contracts involved yet but insurance is relative pence anyway. Was just hoping there may be a nominal fee or whatever for gas, electric, water, rates or whatever other significant monthly bills are in place.
If the house is empty your insurance could possibly be invalid in the event of damage be it fire..flood etc.

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:06 pm

Speak to your insurance. I have a property with building insurance only but, if it's empty, I have to make sure the temperature is above about 10 degrees, so heating on low over winter, and visit every so often.

Water tell them you have moved out and it is vacant.

Gas/electric keep your readings up to date so you are only paying for what you use.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:07 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:It's still up for sale, so no contracts involved yet but insurance is relative pence anyway. Was just hoping there may be a nominal fee or whatever for gas, electric, water, rates or whatever other significant monthly bills are in place.
If you have contacted them with your final readings and told them the house is empty surely the monthly standing charge would stop?
Re: the point about insurance, definitely ask them but if gas, electric and water are shut down you should be fine.
I know historically if you left the house for 3 days and had a mains water leak they wouldn’t pay out but this could have been relaxed. The daughter had a leak whilst away last month and they have paid out.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:08 am

If it’s empty of furniture then you can get zero council tax for up to 6 months. Ive just done it so know that is true