Time-Wasting

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
redwasp
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Time-Wasting

Post by redwasp » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:40 pm

There's an article in today's Daily Mirror saying law makers are determined to stamp out time-wasting. Apparently our match on Sunday set a five-year low for actual playing time. The ball was in play for a little over 42 minutes. Morrison's long throws took up more than 8 minutes alone. They are looking at enforcing the six-seconds rule for 'keepers, substituted players leaving the pitch and refs stopping their watch whenever the ball is dead.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Re: Time-Wasting

Post by conyoviejo » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Get a timekeeper in like they have in rugby league, then everybody will know exactly how long there is left to play ..

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:52 pm

Please merge with

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... =2&t=33124" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To save time wasting.

redwasp
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by redwasp » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:36 pm

Sorry about this. I haven't been on here for a couple of days, I saw the article in today's paper and thought it was worth a mention.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:38 pm

redwasp wrote:Sorry about this. I haven't been on here for a couple of days, I saw the article in today's paper and thought it was worth a mention.
Dont apologise to the doo gooders on here

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:55 pm

Sorry, wasn't having a go, just trying to keep things tidy. Always nice to add more info to the discussion.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:11 pm

Would be a fantastic rule. The time wasting is the biggest issue in football for me. And nothing at all is done to stop it.

Fans pay thousands of pounds a year in some cases to watch. And are literally robbed by the the gamesmanship and time wasting. I cant believe the lack of shame around it tbh.

They introduced the backpass rule, to speed up the game. But do nothing about timewasting.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6759 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:24 pm

I suppose that if the ref thinks a team or player are deliberately wasting time he just adds on a bit?

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:51 pm

Throw ins are obviously a big deal to Cardiff. They feel they can get up the field and create goalscoring chances from them.

If Morrison spends 25 seconds per throw in the final 3rd say 6 times a game. That’s 1 minute 30. Ive seem games where players take that long taking a freekick in the final third. Whats the difference?

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1526 times

Post by chekhov » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:56 am

The 6 second rule for goalies. Is there even a rule? Just ridiculous that it is just completely ignored.
Standing in front of a free-kick taker, i.e. not retreating 10 yards. That's another time-waster.
Not time wasting, but foul throws, of which about 1 in 20 are penalised.
In what other sport are the rules of the game often just ignored, and not punished by the officials?

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:38 am

chekhov wrote:The 6 second rule for goalies. Is there even a rule? ?

From the FA Rules under cautionable offenses.
DELAYING THE RESTART OF PLAY
Referees must caution players who delay the restart of play by:
- appearing to take a throw-in but suddenly leaving it to a team-mate to take
- delaying leaving the field of play when being substituted
- excessively delaying a restart
- kicking or carrying the ball away, or provoking a confrontation by deliberately touching the ball after the referee has stopped play
- taking a free kick from the wrong position to force a retake
Like 'intent' with a foul, the above are totally open to personal interpretation.

Trouble is every time restriction created would have to be different (goal kicks, throw ins, subs etc) and measured each time during the game.
To create the limit too you must first find the longest legal example. So an injured player near the far corner is called off, you can't punish that so the max time allowed must be as long as it takes a crocked player to limp 90 meters.
That could be up 30-40 seconds, which means then a fit player who's closer can use the same to timewaste because If you create a set limit you have to die by that otherwise you haven't really changed the above rules of personal interpretation.

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1526 times

Post by chekhov » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:08 pm

CombatClaret wrote:From the FA Rules under cautionable offenses.

Like 'intent' with a foul, the above are totally open to personal interpretation.

Trouble is every time restriction created would have to be different (goal kicks, throw ins, subs etc) and measured each time during the game.
To create the limit too you must first find the longest legal example. So an injured player near the far corner is called off, you can't punish that so the max time allowed must be as long as it takes a crocked player to limp 90 meters.
That could be up 30-40 seconds, which means then a fit player who's closer can use the same to timewaste because If you create a set limit you have to die by that otherwise you haven't really changed the above rules of personal interpretation.
Thanks for the feedback CombatClaret. I agree, what you mention above is open to interpretation, but the 6 second rule applies to how long the goalie has the ball in his hands. This is just a case of the laws of the game not being applied. Would be simple enough to implement, so why don't they?

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:26 pm

chekhov wrote:Thanks for the feedback CombatClaret. I agree, what you mention above is open to interpretation, but the 6 second rule applies to how long the goalie has the ball in his hands. This is just a case of the laws of the game not being applied. Would be simple enough to implement, so why don't they?
No problem, I'm just being a devils advocate as it's footballers job to essentially bend/push the rules to their favor.
The six seconds are to be counted only after the goalkeeper is fully in control of the ball. That is after he/she gathers themselves, gets up and begins to look for a teammate to play it to
Expect to see GKs taking longer to 'gather themselves' if the 6 second rules is looked at again.

The majority of gk time wasting I remember seeing happens once the ball is on the ground. Slowly walk backwards as if to kick, couple steps forward, stop, look around, walk backward again, pause, run and kick.

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Watch this guy take 30 seconds even after a warning at 19.
Had this been 80th minute a nailed on yellow with fans whistling in refs ear. He never got a yellow in this match though.

https://youtu.be/qhgEIBBiExI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah I saved the first half... 8-) 8-)