Brady has a bit of a setback

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BurningBeard
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 158 times

Re: Brady has a bit of a setback

Post by BurningBeard » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:06 pm

TVC15 wrote:Is that a real question ?
You really don’t understand why supporters of a football club would want to be updated on one of their star players recovery status ?
The difference it makes is pretty obvious but i’ll give you the answer just in case - so they have an idea when the player might be coming back to play for the club they support every week.
Would it be so onerous to tell the fans he’s had a setback and when he is likely to be back ?

You must be able to tell from this forum and from how many fans speak to each other that a lot are wondering how the likes of Defour and Brady are doing.

Do you always post rhetorical questions ? (Don’t answer that !!!)
It makes no material difference to me whether I have more information or not and I'm not going to get aerated about it. Do I want Robbie back asap? Sure, but I can't control it and me knowing more information won't bring him back any sooner.
This user liked this post: Dike Muff

BurningBeard

Post by BurningBeard » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:07 pm

TVC15 wrote:Football fans for as long as I remember are interested in when players are due back from injury - especially when they know players are close to returning and these are “star” players.

It’s a big boost to fans when someone like Defour and Brady are back on the bench......bit different if Phil Bardsley picked up a knock !!
I doubt the club makes value judgements on its players in this way.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:23 pm

BurningBeard wrote:It makes no material difference to me whether I have more information or not and I'm not going to get aerated about it. Do I want Robbie back asap? Sure, but I can't control it and me knowing more information won't bring him back any sooner.
Really ? I thought if we all knew about this it would speed the recovery process up.
:roll:

BurningBeard

Post by BurningBeard » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:28 pm

TVC15 wrote:Really ? I thought if we all knew about this it would speed the recovery process up.
:roll:
Only if we all pray for him at the same time. I think.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:30 pm

BurningBeard wrote:I doubt the club makes value judgements on its players in this way.
Sorry you'll need to explain that one please.

My reference to Phil Bardsley is that fans and journalists are probably less interested in certain players injury progress than others......and that is the same at every club.
Most fans I know are interested in knowing when the best players are due to be back playing.....and every single one of them understand that them knowing this information will not bring forward the return date.

Using this "it does not make a difference to the outcome if fans are communicated argument" is a bit stupid really. You would communicate very little if you used that argument...what would be the point of a press conference ?

BurningBeard

Post by BurningBeard » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:38 pm

The suggestion seemed to be that you were less bothered about knowing the status of an injury to say Phil Bardsley as opposed to Defour or Brady, and that the club should take this into consideration when giving updates. I don't think the club would consider whether the fans are more/less arsed about player x/y when giving out information and would value all players equally in this respect.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:45 pm

houseboy wrote:Oh yes it is (said in his best pantomime voice). We pay their wages, we have a right to know, they can't keep us in the dark like this, it's just not right, we should just boycott every game until.....oh shut up.

Being serious for a minute (but no longer) Burnley FC must be the most secretive club in the land. It's the same with the proverbial transfer (undisclosed) fee. Other clubs actually keep fans informed and, whilst I know they have a right to keep things to themselves and they are doing no wrong I continually ask the question,'why'? Especially with things like the Brady injury, they must be aware by now that fans are a tad concerned about the lad and our prospects without him (and other key players at various times). Would it break some Masonic type code of conduct for them to actually tell us occasionally what is going on?

That's it, I'm done. Answers on a postcard please.
We don't 'pay their wages' though.

Most clubs don't give particularly detailed injury updates anymore, so that the opposition are also kept in the dark. Most clubs don't reveal transfer fees either.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:51 pm

BurningBeard wrote:The suggestion seemed to be that you were less bothered about knowing the status of an injury to say Phil Bardsley as opposed to Defour or Brady, and that the club should take this into consideration when giving updates. I don't think the club would consider whether the fans are more/less arsed about player x/y when giving out information and would value all players equally in this respect.
That might have been how you read it....but not at all what I was suggesting.
Its pretty obvious that the fans and the media are going to be more interested in star players than reserve full backs.

If the club were to communicate an injury update on all the players including reserve full backs then I'm pretty sure nobody would be complaining - but also pretty sure that vast majority of fans would be more interested in some updates than others.

This debate is pretty strange to be honest. I fully respect why some fans are not interested whether the club provides injury updates. Why those not interested do not understand why some fans would be interested is beyond me....its like saying the club should not communicate the team sheet to the media and fans an hour before the game as there is nothing the fans can do about the players picked just because they know about it.

Where`s devils advocate when you need him ?!!!!

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:58 pm

deanothedino wrote:We don't 'pay their wages' though.

Most clubs don't give particularly detailed injury updates anymore, so that the opposition are also kept in the dark. Most clubs don't reveal transfer fees either.
If that's the case why is there always some kind of bragging rights thing after the window closes? Seems to me most clubs can't wait to tell the world how much money they have stupidly spent.
As for not paying their wages, despite all the TV money I'd love to see these clubs exist with no fans. TV money would soon dry up if they played in front of empty stadia every week. Gate receipts might make up only a tiny percentage of a club's finances but without fans to make it a spectacle there would be no TV money - ergo - by proxy - *we pay their wages.

By the way when I said we pay their wages I was kind of being ironic.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:52 pm

BurningBeard wrote:It makes no material difference to me whether I have more information or not and I'm not going to get aerated about it. Do I want Robbie back asap? Sure, but I can't control it and me knowing more information won't bring him back any sooner.
I do not mean this in a malicious way, but, if you are so blasé about players availability/ injuries etc, why on earth are you wasting your time responding to someone who clearly does care about such issues?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:07 pm

houseboy wrote:Oh yes it is (said in his best pantomime voice). We pay their wages, we have a right to know, they can't keep us in the dark like this, it's just not right, we should just boycott every game until.....oh shut up.

Being serious for a minute (but no longer) Burnley FC must be the most secretive club in the land. It's the same with the proverbial transfer (undisclosed) fee. Other clubs actually keep fans informed and, whilst I know they have a right to keep things to themselves and they are doing no wrong I continually ask the question,'why'? Especially with things like the Brady injury, they must be aware by now that fans are a tad concerned about the lad and our prospects without him (and other key players at various times). Would it break some Masonic type code of conduct for them to actually tell us occasionally what is going on?

That's it, I'm done. Answers on a postcard please.
I think Sky are bigger contributors to our players' wages.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:28 pm

if Brady or Defour aren't back playing in the first team come January 1st then there can be no excuse or line fed from the club if we fail to replace them

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:34 pm

houseboy wrote:If that's the case why is there always some kind of bragging rights thing after the window closes? Seems to me most clubs can't wait to tell the world how much money they have stupidly spent.
As for not paying their wages, despite all the TV money I'd love to see these clubs exist with no fans. TV money would soon dry up if they played in front of empty stadia every week. Gate receipts might make up only a tiny percentage of a club's finances but without fans to make it a spectacle there would be no TV money - ergo - by proxy - *we pay their wages.

By the way when I said we pay their wages I was kind of being ironic.
you’d have to show me evidence of most clubs bragging about their spends and revealing individual players fees.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:11 pm

Whether or not we as paying fans or Sky with it’s seemingly bottomless pit of money pay the player’s wages is really a moot point. Say it is the Fans’ hard earned brass that is paying it, that still doesn’t entitle you to anything other than entrance to the ground. It’s not a Tax, it’s a voluntary contribution. If you feel unhappy or disenfranchised, just stop paying it.
These 2 users liked this post: Enola Gay BurningBeard

summitclaret
Been Liked: 827 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:14 pm

" As for when he Financial Accounts are published, I have no idea, and quite simply don’t mind about that. As a fan, that’s simply not my remit."

I don't mind either. However, if they come with the usual boasting about how much profit, I will be disgusted. We are at least a right-footed winger and another cm short of what we need. The boasting after we went down with no cm cover was pathetic.

BurningBeard

Post by BurningBeard » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:54 pm

Corky wrote:I do not mean this in a malicious way, but, if you are so blasé about players availability/ injuries etc, why on earth are you wasting your time responding to someone who clearly does care about such issues?
Not taken in a malicious way. My first post asked why people need to know the information the club are 'withholding', and why is usually an attempt to understand something. From what I can gather it seems to be [paraphrasing] 'because I want to' or 'that's what football fans do' which I guess is fine in itself but doesn't really allow me to understand why people get agitated or what the detriment is to not knowing.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:01 pm

BurningBeard wrote:Not taken in a malicious way. My first post asked why people need to know the information the club are 'withholding', and why is usually an attempt to understand something. From what I can gather it seems to be [paraphrasing] 'because I want to' or 'that's what football fans do' which I guess is fine in itself but doesn't really allow me to understand why people get agitated or what the detriment is to not knowing.
We play Huddersfield this weekend which is an important and very winnable game for us - it looked like Defour would be back for this game which after finding out he was nearly back a few weeks ago was a boost.

If the players just appeared on match days back from injury it’d be great but for discussions with friends and also the build up and excitement of fans - knowing certain big players are back before the day gets them more excited and hopeful.

BurningBeard

Post by BurningBeard » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:04 pm

TVC15 wrote:...its like saying the club should not communicate the team sheet to the media and fans an hour before the game as there is nothing the fans can do about the players picked just because they know about it.
It's really not like that. It's fair to say we're not going to agree on this so I'll just go about my evening business which includes, but is not limited to, not worrying about whether I'm going to get an update on Brady's injury.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:16 pm

One of the reasons the club may not be to forthcoming with injury information on various players ( especially regarding long term injuries) is by virtue of the fact that it may invalidate the insurance policy on that player.
With a long term injuries, the club may be able to recoup some of the players wage through the insurance policy.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:33 pm

I'm amazed it was even a consideration that he would go off an play for Ireland when he's been out for 10 months.
Dyche has played this one absolutely right.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:20 pm

Cubanclaret wrote:I'm amazed it was even a consideration that he would go off an play for Ireland when he's been out for 10 months.
Dyche has played this one absolutely right.

Aye. There's probably no set back.

Letting him play for Ireland before playing for us would be a pretty stupid thing to do.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:23 pm

BurningBeard wrote:It's really not like that. It's fair to say we're not going to agree on this so I'll just go about my evening business which includes, but is not limited to, not worrying about whether I'm going to get an update on Brady's injury.
It’s exactly like that - it’s communication. Why else would a club issue details of the team an hour before kick off if it was not because the public and media are interested in knowing ?

Who said anyone was worrying about Brady’s injury ?

As I have said people are interested in knowing when their star players are going to be back for their team - it really should not be that difficult for you to understand that even if it’s not something you are personally interested in.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:58 am

He's got a slight hamstring issue according to Dyche so they hope to have him rested during the international break

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:13 am

The longer the saga with Brady and Defour goes on, the more it makes the folly of not signing any creative midfielders in the summer just that. Pinning our hopes on being able to make a forward pass or beat a man in midfield on 2 players who make Wilshere and Carroll look robust was never going to end well. I will be surprised if we get 30 games from these 2 combined this season. And to cap it off we have given one of them a contract extension....

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:37 am

TVC15 wrote:Yes i’m Ok thank you for asking ...he got injured last Sunday. It’s only Friday and given he’s just been named in the England squad i’m guessing it’s not too bad.

If he misses this Saturday and then pulls out of the England squad then yes I would like to know when our best defender is likely to return or how serious the injury has been.

I won’t answer your other stupid question but if you are saying that you do not care about the club providing an update on injuries that’s absolutely fine....but a large number of fans are interested and it’s pretty dumb to ask why they are interested just like it would be dumb if I asked you why you were not interested

No demand for an update on Gibson ?

What I am saying is when he is fit he will be in the side, It doesn't speed anything up by getting a weekly update, unless you are an idiot and thinks Dyche leaves better players out the squad and says they are injured.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:43 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:No demand for an update on Gibson ?

What I am saying is when he is fit he will be in the side, It doesn't speed anything up by getting a weekly update, unless you are an idiot and thinks Dyche leaves better players out the squad and says they are injured.
There has been an update on Gibson. Basically that his recovery is going well and that he might play for the u23s over the international break.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:03 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:I think Sky are bigger contributors to our players' wages.
As I said on a previous answer yes they are but they would have no interest whatsoever if there was no spectacle, i.e. nobody in the ground. Anyway as I also said it was just me being ironic, it wasn't meant to be taken too seriously but since it was brought up. Ha ha.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:05 am

deanothedino wrote:you’d have to show me evidence of most clubs bragging about their spends and revealing individual players fees.
Sorry bud, it's really not that important and I can't be bothered. I really don't feel the need to 'qualify' every statement I make, neither should anyone else. Let me just say 'in my opinion' and have done with it.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:04 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:No demand for an update on Gibson ?

Who is asking for a weekly update ?
We got told about Gibson that he had a problem with his groin and that he then had a hernia operation.

The Brady situation was clearly different as he has been almost ready to comeback for us for a few months now and playing the odd game then not playing.
With Defour I also think most fans thought he would be back a lot sooner when there were conflicting reports about him still possibly making the World Cup squad etc

Oh and thanks for pointing out it does not speed up recovery for a player by keeping fans informed.....I wasn’t sure about this point but so glad a few of you medical boffins keep reminding us.

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:03 pm

houseboy wrote:Sorry bud, it's really not that important and I can't be bothered. I really don't feel the need to 'qualify' every statement I make, neither should anyone else. Let me just say 'in my opinion' and have done with it.
I'll take that as a no then :lol:

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:50 pm

'I will be surprised if we get 30 games combined from these two this season'

Have to admire your optimism on that one.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 498 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:22 am

If the Stephen Ward story regards Roy Keane had some truth in it - and SD would surely know, one way or the other - then there's no way we should be letting a nearly fit Brady who we've carefully nurtured through 10 months of rehab any near the Ireland set-up at this time.

Their training/player management set-up sounds like it's light years behind anything at PL level.

Unprofessional of O'Neill to go public with the detail on Brady too.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:38 am

EarbyClaret wrote:If the Stephen Ward story regards Roy Keane had some truth in it - and SD would surely know, one way or the other - then there's no way we should be letting a nearly fit Brady who we've carefully nurtured through 10 months of rehab any near the Ireland set-up at this time.

Their training/player management set-up sounds like it's light years behind anything at PL level.

Unprofessional of O'Neill to go public with the detail on Brady too.
What did O'Neill say that was unprofessional?

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:31 am

deanothedino wrote:To be fair, it's none of our business.
To be fair , should we even be allowed to know the team selection before they run out or who the subs are .
It’s none of our business

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:21 am

joey13 wrote:To be fair , should we even be allowed to know the team selection before they run out or who the subs are .
It’s none of our business
Exactly, that's why we only find out the team when the PL rules dictate we know the team.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:01 am

deanothedino wrote:I'll take that as a no then :lol:
Ha ha, yeah I suppose so mate. :lol: