Sensible policing or a snivelling coward ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Sensible policing or a snivelling coward ?

Post by bfcjg » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:32 am

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/top-met-polic ... 48073.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm in the snivelling coward camp. Watching your colleagues getting attacked and you lock yourself in your car. Didn't he even consider driving at the terrorist or even honk his horn in an aggresive manner.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Re: Sensible policing or a snivelling coward ?

Post by Corky » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:39 am

Although we don't know all the facts it certainly doesn't portray him in a good light.

Perhaps, given his lack of chivalry, they should take his knighthood away from him?

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:50 am

Hardly leading by example. Doubt it would be the same on the battlefield.

beddie
Been Liked: 1382 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:52 am

I guess it's a little unfair to criticise without knowing the full facts but watching last nights news my first thoughts were why didn't he drive his car at the terrorist and try and take him out.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:57 am

I'm assuming he would have a driver and that he would be in the passenger or back seat with his briefcase and wearing his comfy slippers.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:12 am

I like how he says his first thoughts were to get out and go for the door to help but one of the officers outside said quite rightly stay in the car and go.

That's cowardice right there. Not naming the officer who said it at the inquest will stop it coming back to him but tries to make out that it was someone else's decision for him to flee. I think he talks codswallop.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:15 am

Poberbly filling a form in or something serious like that.

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:16 am

There was the story of a PC who was in the front line facing rioters. So scared and fearing for his life he ran away. He was stopped by a colleague who gave him a pep talk about comradeship and how his colleagues needed him. "Sorry Sarge, it won't happen again" he promised. Ready to join his team the felt a sharp tug of his collar. "Sarge ! Sarge! I'm a Superintendent if you don't mind"

"Bloody hell, sorry sir; I didn't realise that i'd ran that far"
These 4 users liked this post: bfcjg evensteadiereddie moaninclaret Juan Tanamera

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:38 am

Definitely a chicken ****. Should have his title stripped, his golden pension taken away and be made to go and work on the front line.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:40 am

Not a good look for him.

I can't see any situation were a serving police officer doesn't intervene if a colleague is in danger to be honest.*

*there probably is now I think about it, but i don't think this case applies

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 3288 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:51 am

[quote="beddie"]I guess it's a little unfair to criticise without knowing the full facts but watching last nights news my first thoughts were why didn't he drive his car at the terrorist and try and take him out.[/quote

He probably had for thought and worry that if he did drive at the terrorist he would be arrested for attempted murder, be branded a racist by the lefties, lose his job and watch the terrorist receive 250k in compensation!!!
Would you put it past the law in this day and age??

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:13 am

There are two kinds of generals.

Ones who give the order - " Come on men!"

The others give the order - " Go on men !"

To be fair he probably had The Guardian crossword to finish off........

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:14 am

cockneyclaret wrote:He probably had for thought and worry that if he did drive at the terrorist he would be arrested for attempted murder, be branded a racist by the lefties, lose his job and watch the terrorist receive 250k in compensation!!!
Would you put it past the law in this day and age??
The cops shot the terrorist dead shortly afterwards. The fact they haven't been 'branded racist by lefties' or lost their jobs makes me think he'd have been alright. Can't see the terrorist getting much compo either, being dead.

So yeah, I'd put it past 'the law', even in this day and age.
These 2 users liked this post: houseboy Foshiznik

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:17 am

But we DO know the full facts... he’s just told us. That’s not hearsay, it’s a sworn testimony, first hand.

He’s an absolute disgrace.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:17 am

The priorities for policemen are the protection of life and property. By staying in his car and watching the tragedy unfold is a dereliction of duty and he should be disciplined accordingly. On a personal level, I think he is coward, a disgrace to the uniform and he should be sacked and stripped of all his bangles.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:28 am

Not defending him as he should have mucked in but, allegedly, his driver told him to stay in the vehicle as there were two civilians with him.
Can't see why he could not have told the driver, let me out then secure the vehicle.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3062 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:30 am

Honestly, until i was in a similar position, im not sure i'd criticize someone for freezing in that kind of situation. I like to think id try and help and intervene, but i can't be 100% i wouldn't just freeze
This user liked this post: chekhov

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:38 am

Imagine you're in a situation where you could potentially be killed, you'd do everything you could to stay alive.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:46 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:Imagine you're in a situation where you could potentially be killed, you'd do everything you could to stay alive.
Thankfully that’s not a mantra the police force adopt in general.
This user liked this post: burnleymik

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:48 am

Incidentally, i know police are not routinely armed in the UK, but had his driver been trained in the use of a decent firearm, the story may have been vastly different.....

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:52 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:Imagine you're in a situation where you could potentially be killed, you'd do everything you could to stay alive.
The oath that all coppers swear on taking up their post

"I, ... of ... do solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that I will well and truly serve the Queen in the office of constable, with fairness, integrity, diligence and impartiality, upholding fundamental human rights and according equal respect to all people; and that I will, to the best of my power, cause the peace to be kept and preserved and prevent all offences against people and property; and that while I continue to hold the said office I will to the best of my skill and knowledge discharge all the duties thereof faithfully according to law."

No mention of stopping in the car till it's all calmed down there.

Google "dereliction of duty"...

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:08 am

ZizkovClaret wrote:Honestly, until i was in a similar position, im not sure i'd criticize someone for freezing in that kind of situation. I like to think id try and help and intervene, but i can't be 100% i wouldn't just freeze
That's true but he should, with all his experience, know what should be done and he shouldn't 'freeze'.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:10 am

If you are an ordinary citizen yes, you could be forgiven, but if he doesn't want to deal with that sh!t he shouldn't be in the job.
This user liked this post: burnleymik

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:13 am

Including abandoning a colleague so he could die for you ? Guy is a coward

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:14 am

It all looks very, very poor from where I'm sitting (not in the back of a luxury, comfy, tax payer provided car btw) and I'm totally surprised he isn't "stepping down" unless there are other, mitigating circumstances we aren't aware of.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:16 am

I'm firmly in the 'sniveling coward' group. What an utter waste of over-paid space he is. There are no excuses for sitting there watching a fellow officer being attacked and doing absolutely nothing. I believe he said something like 'I decided to control things from where I was' or some such nonsense. He will of course keep his over-paid job, get his golden handshake retirement pay off along with his ring-fenced gold plated pension. I have nothing but contempt for these people. He probably tells his officers to arrest the homeless. What a waste of good oxygen.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:20 am

ZizkovClaret wrote:Honestly, until i was in a similar position, im not sure i'd criticize someone for freezing in that kind of situation. I like to think id try and help and intervene, but i can't be 100% i wouldn't just freeze
If he froze you could sort of understand it, but he didn't. He claims he wanted to get out but someone else told him to stay in the vehicle.

They left to save others lives the hero, you know them in a heavily protected locked car that were in no danger what so ever.

Make no mistake his bosses will think he did the right thing though.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:25 am

Quite shocked at this . Can’t say I’ve known that many coppers but I’ve never witnessed such an act of pure cowardice as this . I’ve seen people terrified under fire and I’ve been very scared myself but to abandon one of your own under direct attack is truly disgusting . Should be stripped of his title and put in the stocks for an hour with the dead coppers family . Hopefully the rest of his career he’ll have the shame by all and sundry to be known as a coward

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:21 pm

I think this one will go with him to the grave. Very poor show.

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Shithouse

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:27 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:If he froze you could sort of understand it, but he didn't. He claims he wanted to get out but someone else told him to stay in the vehicle.

They left to save others lives the hero, you know them in a heavily protected locked car that were in no danger what so ever.
He was the acting head of the Met so who, exactly, could order him to stay in the vehicle? He was on the spot and his timely intervention may have allowed him them to overpower the attacker. Hopefully, sitting in his car and watching a colleague get stabbed to death within feet of him without doing anything will haunt him as much as it will haunt the widow of PC Palmer.
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

Chip Harrison
Been Liked: 126 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by Chip Harrison » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:40 pm

Which one of us would completely unarmed, tackle an armed murderer who was carrying a massive knife and had murderous intent all over him.

Do you foolishly give up your own life because another officer died by blindly rushing at this terrorist, or do you wait another 30 seconds and an armed officer kills the terrorist. It would have just been the waste of another life. I hope I am never put in that situation, but what would he have done if he had rushed unarmed at the murderer? Just what would the outcome have been. What would you have done?
These 3 users liked this post: bf2k willsclarets Rileybobs

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:40 pm

There was nothing in the car boot that could have been used as a weapon? No car jack, no spanners or tools?

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Chip Harrison wrote:Which one of us would completely unarmed, tackle an armed murderer who was carrying a massive knife and had murderous intent all over him.

Do you foolishly give up your own life because another officer died by blindly rushing at this terrorist, or do you wait another 30 seconds and an armed officer kills the terrorist. It would have just been the waste of another life. I hope I am never put in that situation, but what would he have done if he had rushed unarmed at the murderer? Just what would the outcome have been. What would you have done?
That's why your not a policeman with that attitude.

They (top bosses) put their colleagues to work in very dangerous situations every day, often on their own. Without batting an eyelid.

I just hope the media storm this will cause will make him hand his large pension back. Nevermind the bravery award.

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:51 pm

Chip Harrison wrote:Which one of us would completely unarmed, tackle an armed murderer who was carrying a massive knife and had murderous intent all over him.

I'm glad someone has had some common sense & perspective. Reading all the other comments I was wondering how many on here would tackle an armed man when unarmed yourself.
This user liked this post: Chip Harrison

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:12 pm

It all depends on whether I was a police officer or not I guess.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:16 pm

I should imagine he has lost a lot of respect from those below him. It will be difficult for him to carry out his responsibilities henceforth with this hanging round his neck. I think he performed very poorly and is no longer any kind of example to the police force..

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:17 pm

BennyD wrote:He was the acting head of the Met so who, exactly, could order him to stay in the vehicle? He was on the spot and his timely intervention may have allowed him them to overpower the attacker. Hopefully, sitting in his car and watching a colleague get stabbed to death within feet of him without doing anything will haunt him as much as it will haunt the widow of PC Palmer.
It could well be that, in such circumstances, protocol dictates his PPO would be in charge

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:22 pm

bf2k wrote:I'm glad someone has had some common sense & perspective. Reading all the other comments I was wondering how many on here would tackle an armed man when unarmed yourself.
It was a knife not a gun, so yes, I would if I thought I could help. As someone has already pointed out the car would have had something in it and even if they had only driven the car at him it may have helped. Even if he had only distracted the guy then run away to a safe distance it may have helped. There are many things that I could think of and I'm not a trained policeman and they should know more. Can't imagine how anyone on here with four limbs and sight could even begin to argue in favour of this coward.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:25 pm

Vino blanco wrote:I should imagine he has lost a lot of respect from those below him. It will be difficult for him to carry out his responsibilities henceforth with this hanging round his neck. I think he performed very poorly and is no longer any kind of example to the police force..
Wouldn't you just love to be in the room when he orders some of his officers into a potentially dangerous situation and someone said to him, "why don't you bloody go.....sir?"

Chip Harrison

Post by Chip Harrison » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:30 pm

houseboy wrote:It was a knife not a gun, so yes, I would if I thought I could help. As someone has already pointed out the car would have had something in it and even if they had only driven the car at him it may have helped. Even if he had only distracted the guy then run away to a safe distance it may have helped. There are many things that I could think of and I'm not a trained policeman and they should know more. Can't imagine how anyone on here with four limbs and sight could even begin to argue in favour of this coward.
It depends on whether you look at the situation rationally or emotionally.

What if the situation was an escaped lion that had just killed one of his men. Would you want him to tackle the lion unarmed, or wait for armed police or zoo keepers with tranquilisers to appear.

What if it was Iraq and his men had been shot by a guy with a gun. Does he run at the man with the gun whilst unarmed.

What good is throwing any life away when you know expert help is on its way?

Also, do you not think every one else in the area hadn't thought of distracting him and running away to a safe distance. It wasn't a film, it was real life and the whole incident from start to finish lasted around 40 seconds or so.

Its bloody scary when you are near an incident on a match, never mind this.

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:34 pm

Everyone in the car should have got out walked towards the man and distracted him.No harm in running away once he had been distracted and it would have given vital seconds for armed response to shoot him.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:39 pm

Gutless.
I would hope Joe Public would try to intervene, even if it wasn't his responsibility. To be a member of the force and cower is disgusting, he is paid to put himself between the public and danger. Self preservation is no excuse.

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani
Been Liked: 212 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Police forces promote equality , unless you are high ranking then it's better the unknown civilian gets killed , we are not all equal ,apparently !!
He's as ban as the sheriff outside the school in America who did nothing, he wants sacking for neglect of duties

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Ok a couple think he did the right thing that's fine. We all have different opinions after all.

But once he had been shot and danger over why wasn't he out of the car to take charge of the incident as a top ranking officer?

Chip Harrison

Post by Chip Harrison » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:14 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Ok a couple think he did the right thing that's fine. We all have different opinions after all.

But once he had been shot and danger over why wasn't he out of the car to take charge of the incident as a top ranking officer?
Because he manages the people that do that. You don't see Generals on the front line do you?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:19 pm

Could have at least instructed the driver to attempt to hit him with the car if nothing else.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:31 pm

Chip Harrison wrote:Because he manages the people that do that. You don't see Generals on the front line do you?
We used to see kings take our armies into battle.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:44 pm

I think living with himself is enough punishment without the rest of us, who have no idea how we'd have reacted in that situation, piling on the abuse.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Chip Harrison wrote:It depends on whether you look at the situation rationally or emotionally.

What if the situation was an escaped lion that had just killed one of his men. Would you want him to tackle the lion unarmed, or wait for armed police or zoo keepers with tranquilisers to appear.

What if it was Iraq and his men had been shot by a guy with a gun. Does he run at the man with the gun whilst unarmed.

What good is throwing any life away when you know expert help is on its way?

Also, do you not think every one else in the area hadn't thought of distracting him and running away to a safe distance. It wasn't a film, it was real life and the whole incident from start to finish lasted around 40 seconds or so.

Its bloody scary when you are near an incident on a match, never mind this.
It wasn't a gun or a lion, it was a man with a knife, dangerous but much less dangerous than a man with a gun (or a lion). A gun can kill at distance, a knife (unless the guy is an expert knife thrower) needs arms length distance to have an effect. The lion analogy is a bit strange but even a lion can be distracted. Simply put; he could have done more.