Retirement day

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Steve1956
Been Liked: 6487 times
Has Liked: 2911 times

Retirement day

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:53 am

I retire at the end of my shift today,what's retirement like guys?

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Re: Retirement day

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:55 am

Ask Stephen Ward?

More sensibly though, safe to say you've earned it. Try to find yourself a hobby and take time to appreciate family and friends
These 2 users liked this post: Steve1956 ontario claret

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 833 times

Post by IndigoLake » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:57 am

Congratulations! I can't answer as I've got several decades of work still to go. However, I do believe you're supposed to take up fishing when you retire. I mean real fishing and not the kind that some people do on this forum :D
This user liked this post: Steve1956

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:58 am

I hate fishing,I'd sooner carry on working :)

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:00 am

most folk who retire go and support East Fife FC...you might want to consider this! :D

Happy retirement Steve!
These 2 users liked this post: Steve1956 ontario claret

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:02 am

claretblue wrote:most folk who retire go and support East Fife FC...you might want to consider this! :D

Happy retirement Steve!
:lol: nice one.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:02 am

I should retire soon but my wife won't let me. Anyway my father-in-law was a workaholic and didn't retire till he was 73 (he's 82 now) and he was worried he'd get bored. A few months after he retired I asked him how he was finding it and was he getting bored, his answer was great, he said 'I don't know how I ever found time to work.'
These 2 users liked this post: Steve1956 Juan Tanamera

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:03 am

Steve1956 wrote:I retire at the end of my shift today,what's retirement like guys?
Not one for planning to far ahead, are you Steve. I like that.

Don't worry about how to fill the rest of your life yet, you've still a few hours grafting to do.
These 2 users liked this post: Steve1956 Hipper

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3339 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:34 am

Steve1956 wrote:I retire at the end of my shift today,what's retirement like guys?
I've been retired just over a year now and I absolutely hate it. Admittedly others who have retired really seem to love it, and it perhaps doesn't help me that my wife still works full time and long hours so it's largely just me knocking about doing not a lot tbh. I visit the gym for an hour early every morning and then Tescos just about every single day which passes 20 minutes and has become a real highlight :roll: and I actually injected some excitement by washing my car this morning myself which is a skill I thought I'd lost. (But a bird has now sh*t on it) I was really looking forward to retirement, but in reality it's rather cr*p and it also gives loads of people (family) the opportunity to constantly say "you're not doing owt, will you pick us up and run us to...." , so you just become a taxi service. I'm struggling to think of one good thing about it as it appears to simply be the twighlight zone between work and death which they cunningly named "retirement" so you don't actually see it for what it is. I'm wondering whether I should get a job tbh. Oh and just so you don't think it's ALL doom and gloom, in over 12 months there has been ONE plus. Newcastle away on the train on a Wednesday in January. That was fun!
These 2 users liked this post: turbo5 Damo

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:51 am

Dark Cloud wrote:I've been retired just over a year now and I absolutely hate it. Admittedly others who have retired really seem to love it, and it perhaps doesn't help me that my wife still works full time and long hours so it's largely just me knocking about doing not a lot tbh. I visit the gym for an hour early every morning and then Tescos just about every single day which passes 20 minutes and has become a real highlight :roll: and I actually injected some excitement by washing my car this morning myself which is a skill I thought I'd lost. (But a bird has now sh*t on it) I was really looking forward to retirement, but in reality it's rather cr*p and it also gives loads of people (family) the opportunity to constantly say "you're not doing owt, will you pick us up and run us to...." , so you just become a taxi service. I'm struggling to think of one good thing about it as it appears to simply be the twighlight zone between work and death which they cunningly named "retirement" so you don't actually see it for what it is. I'm wondering whether I should get a job tbh. Oh and just so you don't think it's ALL doom and gloom, in over 12 months there has been ONE plus. Newcastle away on the train on a Wednesday in January. That was fun!
OMG...What have I done! :lol:

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:52 am

It's not too late, Steve!

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:53 am

I spend more time looking for new topics on here than I need to. Telling myself, I will just have a minute to see if there's any news since I last looked a couple of hours ago.
These 2 users liked this post: Dark Cloud Steve1956

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:54 am

Dark Cloud wrote:It's not too late, Steve!
It is mate,my wife is retiring on Thursday after her last shift,the thing is mate we can be bored shitless together :D

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:55 am

It totally depends on you and your lifestyle.
Single or a couple?
Do things together or apart?
Are you happy with your own company or need to join clubs?
There are many more but whatever enjoy every minute. We are only here the once.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1049 times

Post by CleggHall » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:03 pm

Lie-in bed, leisurely breakfast, paper shop, read paper, sudoku, morning coffee, website including "up the clarets", mow lawns, lunch, afternoon nap, 5pm red wine pre-dinner, TV, bed with wife.
Variations - cricket watching at the Riverside, lunchtime pint, cinema/theatre, Indian meal,evening pint.
Not a bad way to spend 74th year.
Enjoy your retirement Steve and good luck.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:03 pm

I took up woodwork,fly fishing,more holidays,photography.family history research.watching more sports both live and on tv.Read books a lot more.
Refurbish old hand tools that I search for in antique shops and car boot sales.

I think its a bit sad if you work all your life and cannot find a few things to keep you occupied.
I really am having a great time in my retirement and am never bored.
If you crave the work ethic and the routine of getting up and going to work then go and do some charity work, such as driving for charity shops or the local hospice ,loads of organisations are looking for volunteers if you ask around.

Ps I must say that I am single now and appreciate things will be different if you are a couple.Enjoy your retirement Steve,you will have a ball.
Last edited by The Enclosure on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
These 3 users liked this post: Steve1956 piston broke Stalbansclaret

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:07 pm

CleggHall wrote:Lie-in bed, leisurely breakfast, paper shop, read paper, sudoku, morning coffee, website including "up the clarets", mow lawns, lunch, afternoon nap, 5pm red wine pre-dinner, TV, bed with wife.
Variations - cricket watching at the Riverside, lunchtime pint, cinema/theatre, Indian meal,evening pint.
Not a bad way to spend 74th year.
Enjoy your retirement Steve and good luck.
Sounds good to me CH,and thank you for your good wishes.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:10 pm

I retired about 4 years ago and have never been busier; I’m presently restoring 2 cars and finishing off a house extension by tiling a downstairs shower room and making the cottage doors for it and the utility room. I can thoroughly recommend it, but you have to have the drive to get yourself something YOU want to do and go and do it. Also, there is charity and volunteer work; my wife works as a volunteer at the local RSPCA and absolutely loves it. Remember, retirement is a state of mind and you can either love it or hate it, I choose to love it.
These 2 users liked this post: The Enclosure Tread Warily

Terrier
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Post by Terrier » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:15 pm

Monday club, now sadly the best day of the week to go down town for a pint and you will find most down there have retired or giving work a massive swerve!!!

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:16 pm

I've got 8 working days left. Coup[le of months off to get the DIY and garden sorted then a part-time (3 days?) job to make life more interesting.

Got the day off today and got loads done. :D
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:26 pm

If mel gibson turns up at your work today, tell him to go jump!

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2071 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:35 pm

I hope you have got a list on all the lads you need to get back for the pranks they have played on you.

Get the shrink wrap ready, don't bother with work they won't fire you.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:58 pm

I took early retirement 13 years ago and from the first morning when I woke up and just pulled the quilt up round my shoulders, knowing I didn't need to get up for work, I have enjoyed every minute of it. After a few years my wife and I decided to move to Spain, where we have a wonderful life style. It's just a question of having to plan your days in an easy going way, quite often making one job last all day, ie. going to the supermarket includes a long lunch, perhaps with friends, followed by a walk with the dog and perhaps a cold beer in the local before a quiet night in. Life can be lovely, enjoy!
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:10 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:I've been retired just over a year now and I absolutely hate it. Admittedly others who have retired really seem to love it, and it perhaps doesn't help me that my wife still works full time and long hours so it's largely just me knocking about doing not a lot tbh. I visit the gym for an hour early every morning and then Tescos just about every single day which passes 20 minutes and has become a real highlight :roll: and I actually injected some excitement by washing my car this morning myself which is a skill I thought I'd lost. (But a bird has now sh*t on it) I was really looking forward to retirement, but in reality it's rather cr*p and it also gives loads of people (family) the opportunity to constantly say "you're not doing owt, will you pick us up and run us to...." , so you just become a taxi service. I'm struggling to think of one good thing about it as it appears to simply be the twighlight zone between work and death which they cunningly named "retirement" so you don't actually see it for what it is. I'm wondering whether I should get a job tbh. Oh and just so you don't think it's ALL doom and gloom, in over 12 months there has been ONE plus. Newcastle away on the train on a Wednesday in January. That was fun!
Sounds like you're having a barrel of laughs in 'Gods waiting room'. :lol:

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:37 pm

Why did you call yourself Dark Cloud, was it to do with a childhood weather incident?
This user liked this post: sox8595

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:08 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:Why did you call yourself Dark Cloud, was it to do with a childhood weather incident?
Actually my "Indian" name was given to me by a fellow cricketer about 20 or so years ago and strangely :roll: just seemed appropriate and stuck, so that most people who know me, know me by that name! And just for the record his "Indian" name was "Dead Man Walking" which referred to his appearance just before entering the showers :o . (He's still very much alive btw)

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:26 pm

Become a moderator on here. You can`t do any worse than the incumbents!!!! OH GET A SENSE OF HUMOUR!!!!!!!

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:32 pm

Start playing golf. 18 holes followed by a pint and a game of snooker in the clubhouse afterwards will easily fill your day!

moaninclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by moaninclaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:23 pm

I love it, i was fortunate to retire at 62 and its nice to get up in the morning and not worry about any more stressful days at work, i spend a fair bit of time out walking whatever the weather, just keep yourself active, walking is a no cost activity apart from a decent pair of boots and waterproofs, i received my first state pension payment last Thursday which was very welcome as i had to live off my small works pension which has just lasted up to now. whatever you do Steve 1956 enjoy yourself, spend your money on holidays and other luxuries. bugger that saving up lark and leaving money to family, just keep doing some form of exercise though and dont sit around watching daytime tv, it will do you in, good luck.
These 2 users liked this post: piston broke Pearcey

Stproc
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Stproc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:28 pm

Find yourself plenty to do early on as you’ll go from busy to not busy too quickly. I’ve expanded my hobbies quite a bit, trying to put something back. I also support local clubs and organisations too but be careful you quickly become part of the fabric and the ‘go to man’. Take lots of holidays.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3804 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Shusshhh Steve I'm trying to get a nap in between shopping and tea ;)

Shappie
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by Shappie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:42 pm

Vino blanco wrote:I took early retirement 13 years ago and from the first morning when I woke up and just pulled the quilt up round my shoulders, knowing I didn't need to get up for work, I have enjoyed every minute of it. After a few years my wife and I decided to move to Spain, where we have a wonderful life style. It's just a question of having to plan your days in an easy going way, quite often making one job last all day, ie. going to the supermarket includes a long lunch, perhaps with friends, followed by a walk with the dog and perhaps a cold beer in the local before a quiet night in. Life can be lovely, enjoy!

Miss-read “walk with the dog” now I can’t stop laughing

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12479 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:48 pm

It's great but you must find a hobby etc.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:50 pm

Buy a Motorhome and tour all round the country or go abroad in it.. Fantastic lifestyle..

BigRedrose
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by BigRedrose » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:03 pm

Steve1956 wrote:OMG...What have I done! :lol:
Ignore him Steve, he's an attention seeking, moaning get.This 'poor soul' fails to mention that he is going with 15 lads to Sri Lanka next month to an England test match, that's how much he hates being retired!
His only problem is he needs to grow a pair of ********!

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:09 pm

BigRedrose wrote:Ignore him Steve, he's an attention seeking, moaning get.This 'poor soul' fails to mention that he is going with 15 lads to Sri Lanka next month to an England test match, that's how much he hates being retired!
His only problem is he needs to grow a pair of ********!
Oh, I just knew you'd be on before long! You simply can't help yourself, can you!!?? (I haven't got my visa for Sri Lanka yet, so nothing's certain!!)
I only retired because you kept telling me to. :roll:

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:12 pm

Steve1956 wrote:I hate fishing,I'd sooner carry on working :)
What do you do for a living or come tomorrow what did you do?
I've got six years to go. Never thought about it until the last year or so. I thought I'm getting a bit tired of getting up at 0500 every day and I'm looking forward to retiring. Although it's like just a tiny bit of light at the end of a very long tunnel.
Well congratulations I'm sure you won't look back!

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:16 pm

Your user name suits you!

BigRedrose
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by BigRedrose » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:30 pm

[quote="Dark Cloud"]Oh, I just knew you'd be on before long! You simply can't help yourself, can you!!?? (I haven't got my visa for Sri Lanka yet, so nothing's certain!!)
I only retired because you kept telling me to.

Oh. and didn't you go to Australia for an Ashes Test last December? Seem to recall seeing you at Fleetwood and Hebden Bridge Beer Festivals on days you would normally have been working too. Not forgetting a January midweek mini break in Newcastle with the lads last season.
Yeah, your retirement sounds ****!

Boban
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Boban » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:52 pm

All the best Steve you deserve it.
Try not to give Ralph to much of a hard time tonight ;)

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:12 pm

Retired just over 12 months ago. I enjoy DIY so it's not been too bad. We decided to make sure we went walking or cycling one day a week, rucksack and boots have had some stick. We do the gym, the wife does some extra excercises classes 3 days a week. I enjoy gardening so this summer has been enjoyable. I've now got to the stage where I occasionally get a bit fed up so I'm think of other things to do. I'm always active so need to find something. My wife's decided we should both get E-Bkes which would allow us ( hopefully ) to go further up the dales and also drive to the Lakedistrict then bike a few hills. Whatever you decide mix it with a bit of excercise, relaxation along with your hobbies, The E-Bike will be great. Good luck and enjoy it.
These 2 users liked this post: Steve1956 Pearcey

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:18 pm

Go out it a blaze of glory Steve. Grab your money get a flight, plenty of cocaine, booze, woman and have a blast.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:33 pm

Boban wrote:All the best Steve you deserve it.
Try not to give Ralph to much of a hard time tonight ;)
:lol: .....Dave????

Boban
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Boban » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:38 pm

25/05/09 .........warm beer never tasted so good.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:59 pm

Boban wrote:25/05/09 .........warm beer never tasted so good.
CC :lol:

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:06 pm

All the Best!

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:07 pm

All the Best!

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi Steve,
You could buy a season ticket for the turf and enjoy watching some football……. Oops sorry.

You could join a golf club and really enjoy yourself.

Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:41 pm

Just moved to Spain at 56 & a young 56, wife works in IT & younger than me & still doing her job from here, doing little jobs around the place, cooking, ironing etc but not bored yet. I quite like not working but ask me again in 12 months, kept my season ticket & coming back to about every 3rd game.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:49 pm

You'll be run off yer feet, owt about being bored.