New book, 6-disc box set and would have been 78 today.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

New book, 6-disc box set and would have been 78 today.

Post by hampsteadclaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:24 pm

- that's John Lennon.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/book ... 556166002/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For any younger viewers....' John Winston Ono Lennon [ MBE (9 October 1940 – 8 December 1980) was an English singer, songwriter, and peace activist who co-founded the Beatles, the most commercially successful band in the history of popular music. He and fellow member Paul McCartney formed a much-celebrated songwriting partnership. Along with George Harrison and Ringo Starr, the group would ascend to worldwide fame during the 1960s..'

#9 Dream - John Lennon with The Plastic Ono Nuclear Band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zZsKOvXiFo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As one of the comments says...'RIP JOHN...you are missing some real *ucked up times here...but then again you know this, right?

- and as Yoko says at the end...'And in a future when their son, Sean (who turns 43 on John's birthday), is presumably left as the keeper of Lennon’s legacy, John’s hope that “the world will live as one” won’t change.

“Lennon songs are already songs of the world,” she says.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

hampsteadclaret

Re: New book, 6-disc box set and would have been 78 today.

Post by hampsteadclaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:32 pm

'Oh Yoko'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2VYgGYIcbc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:55 pm

Given some of the utter garbage that McCartney has come up with over the last 40-odd years it's not hard to see where the real talent lay in the partnership.
To be honest my favourite writer in/from the Beatles was Harrison - wrote some memorable and very beautiful songs.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:02 pm

houseboy wrote:Given some of the utter garbage that McCartney has come up with over the last 40-odd years it's not hard to see where the real talent lay in the partnership.
To be honest my favourite writer in/from the Beatles was Harrison - wrote some memorable and very beautiful songs.
That's a bit harsh on McCartney.. :o
This user liked this post: piston broke

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Was just thinking the same....clearly houseboy has never listened closely to the lyrics of the frog song !!
This user liked this post: houseboy

hampsteadclaret

Post by hampsteadclaret » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Really houseboy..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxTdz3hw9Xo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'Maybe I'm amazed'..

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:21 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:Really houseboy..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxTdz3hw9Xo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'Maybe I'm amazed'..
Wow

exilecanada
Been Liked: 235 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by exilecanada » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:54 pm

Lennon was my hero. I remember as if it was yesterday when I first heard of his death. Howard Cosell announced it on NFL’s “Monday Night Football”. I watched the video below, it sent shivers up my spine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n73GFvAyIjs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sure, Lennon had his problems, as did many before him and after him. In my mind his poignant song “Help” summed it up to a tee, as in “Get me out of this hell”. His comeback album “Double Fantasy” was released a few weeks prior to his death and was doing quite well.

As a footnote: I saw Ringo performing with ‘Rory Storm and the Hurricanes” at a Butlins Holiday Camp before he joined the Beatles.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:03 pm

Terrible loss but the argument about their music will live on.Who wrote what?
What I do know is that after the break up they both wrote good stuff and they both insulted our ears.
Thanks for the good stuff.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:12 pm

houseboy wrote:Given some of the utter garbage that McCartney has come up with over the last 40-odd years it's not hard to see where the real talent lay in the partnership.
Id agree with that.

Its a pity a young George Harrison didnt cross paths with an young Brian Jones and form their own band.
This user liked this post: timshorts

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:13 pm

Shame he died early and in the manner he did but he was my least favourite Beatle (as a personality not as a musician).
George was my favourite - I thought him an excellent guitarist and person & his solo career was the one I followed most closely (even the "spiritual" stuff.). Ringo is a good lad and a decent drummer IMO & still active. Macca keeps on trucking though his best musical days are well behind him, still got great energy though.
The Beatles, to me, are a great example of the combination being a better than the sum of parts.

Again though- I'm sorry Lennon had to die young and violently- he didnt deserve that at all.

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 pm

piston broke wrote:Terrible loss but the argument about their music will live on.Who wrote what?
What I do know is that after the break up they both wrote good stuff and they both insulted our ears.
Thanks for the good stuff.
Ive always thought its pretty easy to know who wrote what. A Day In The Life simplifies that.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:43 pm

I preferred The Searchers, but then I always was a bit contrary!

I see them as a breakthrough band that opened doors for others (like Dylan did in the folk/singer songwriter genre). I liked 'the others' so I'm grateful for what they did.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:56 pm

Dyched wrote:Ive always thought its pretty easy to know who wrote what. A Day In The Life simplifies that.
I was thinking more to the early days, when they were mates, and they wrote together. One had the idea but they sat down and made classics.

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:05 pm

piston broke wrote:I was thinking more to the early days, when they were mates, and they wrote together. One had the idea but they sat down and made classics.
Ah I see. Id agree with that.

What blows my mind is that theres only 2 years that separate “eight days a week” and “tomorrow never knows” releases.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:09 pm

I'm not trying to be controversial, but does anyone else think that they were a bit overrated? Granted one or two standards that have stood the test of time, but give me Holland Dozier Holland, Bacharach and David or even Jagger and Richards as song writers.
Musically, they stopped touring around 65 ,to be fair, publicly stating that they weren't good enough to play live. They also had a clueless drummer.
For me, they were right time, right place.

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1141 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:41 pm

Imagine is still the greatest song of all time for me

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:51 pm

Siddo I think you're being hard on them. Yes they got the breaks but they were better musicians than you think - maybe not Ringo but George Harrison was an excellent guitarist and the others could sing, play keyboards and compose. Just listen to Otis on Day Tripper and Ace put out a great album a few years back called Black America Sings Lennon and McCartney - all fine stuff.
John Lennon became distracted so that was that.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 pm

I've got the "Imagine" album from back in the day (still with pristine included white piano poster) & I like that album but the track "Imagine"- blimey it's "unicorns for all on the NHS" pie in the sky.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:15 pm

basil6345789 wrote:Siddo I think you're being hard on them. Yes they got the breaks but they were better musicians than you think - maybe not Ringo but George Harrison was an excellent guitarist and the others could sing, play keyboards and compose. Just listen to Otis on Day Tripper and Ace put out a great album a few years back called Black America Sings Lennon and McCartney - all fine stuff.
John Lennon became distracted so that was that.
I wasn't ever a Stones fan either Basil, but I think they were better musicians.
How many Motown covers were on the Beatles first album, 3 or 4 without checking,? Not one of those covers matched the original, and this was Motown that hadn't yet got into its stride.
In 64 the Beatles were shaking heads shouting Yeah, Yeah,Yeah. The Tops were singing Baby I Need Your Loving and Ask the Lonely. I rest my case!
How did Saturday go?

exilecanada
Been Liked: 235 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by exilecanada » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:35 pm

Hipper wrote:I preferred The Searchers, but then I always was a bit contrary!

The Searchers covered a few songs originally done by Jackie De Shannon, including “When You Walk in the Room” and “Needles and Pins”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9VeE7GABgk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: basil6345789

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:45 pm

Siddo Saturday was mixed; busy then quiet then some good soul folkin later.
Back to the point in question The Beatles cut their teeth by mimmicking their black American idols but so did every group at every youth club and school dance. Show biz then took over but even the head shaking, screaming etc had it's origins in gospel. The Mod groups developed into better things in my book but still tipped their caps to soul.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 770 times
Has Liked: 10055 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 pm

Ian, I believe Francis Albert Sinatra once described 'Something' as the greatest love song ever written.
Make of that what you will. :)

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:10 pm

For raw heart breaking emotion. This.....

https://youtu.be/ZZhaL99tX5c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:11 am

TVC15 wrote:Was just thinking the same....clearly houseboy has never listened closely to the lyrics of the frog song !!
That's one of his classics. Along with Mull of Kintyre. Come on guys he's been living on past glories since they split. I'll give you the Band on the Run album (excellent) and Live and Let Die (done far better by Guns and Roses). What about that Somebody's Knockin on the door sh!te? And numerous crap Christmas songs? He has got to be the single most over rated songwriter of all time.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:13 am

Dyched wrote:Id agree with that.

Its a pity a young George Harrison didnt cross paths with an young Brian Jones and form their own band.
True and it's also a shame Lennon and McCartney didn't give him more space in the Beatles, although with the success they had at the time it's not hard to see why.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

hampsteadclaret

Post by hampsteadclaret » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:16 am

George Harrison getting a lot of compliments above.

Quite right too a massively talented lad, sometimes hidden behind the other two..wonderful guitarist, top song writer and so on.

This is one of my favourites of his, from 'All things must pass'..[1980] ['B' side of 'My Sweet Lord']

'What is Life'..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiH9edd25Bc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sadly George not seen on this one but two young ballet dancers are - Emma Rubinowtiz and Esteban Hernandez.
They got here this way..

'George Harrison's estate launched a contest allowing fans to create the official music video for "What is Life." On Nov. 28, Olivia and Dhani Harrison picked filmmaker Brandon Moore's spirited submission featuring ballet dancers as the winner."

** The Beatles...an amazing amount of great output, top albums in such a relatively short time, I think.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:24 am

Juan Tanamera wrote:Ian, I believe Francis Albert Sinatra once described 'Something' as the greatest love song ever written.
Make of that what you will. :)
Not much really mi old mate because I didn't like Sinatra either. And in my humble defence bud he wrote that whilst with the Beatles. It is a great song though, as was Yesterday. But it's his output SINCE the Beatles that has been generally dire. I've found over the years that there are two raw nerves in music, that is when you say you don't like McCartney and Sinatra. Just didn't do anything for me at all. Having said all that it is my love of music that makes me realise how diverse we all are and that is only a good thing. Personally I don't like soul music (with a few exceptions) but it has brought millions of people a lot of joy over the years and that is fantastic.

Long live diversity in music and all the joyful arguments it brings because in the end none of us is wrong or right. :D

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:35 am

houseboy wrote:Not much really mi old mate because I didn't like Sinatra either. And in my humble defence bud he wrote that whilst with the Beatles. It is a great song though, as was Yesterday. But it's his output SINCE the Beatles that has been generally dire. I've found over the years that there are two raw nerves in music, that is when you say you don't like McCartney and Sinatra. Just didn't do anything for me at all. Having said all that it is my love of music that makes me realise how diverse we all are and that is only a good thing. Personally I don't like soul music (with a few exceptions) but it has brought millions of people a lot of joy over the years and that is fantastic.

Long live diversity in music and all the joyful arguments it brings because in the end none of us is wrong or right. :D
I like the diversity in music...the soul brothers never stop harping on Edwin Starr 25 miles stevie wonder uptight etc etc great stuff love it but broaden your horizons it's like a time warp lets do the time warp yea...ok :roll:

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:35 am

hampsteadclaret wrote:George Harrison getting a lot of compliments above.

Quite right too a massively talented lad, sometimes hidden behind the other two..wonderful guitarist, top song writer and so on.

This is one of my favourites of his, from 'All things must pass'..[1980] ['B' side of 'My Sweet Lord']

'What is Life'..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiH9edd25Bc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sadly George not seen on this one but two young ballet dancers are - Emma Rubinowtiz and Esteban Hernandez.
They got here this way..

'George Harrison's estate launched a contest allowing fans to create the official music video for "What is Life." On Nov. 28, Olivia and Dhani Harrison picked filmmaker Brandon Moore's spirited submission featuring ballet dancers as the winner."

** The Beatles...an amazing amount of great output, top albums in such a relatively short time, I think.
A very under rated guitarist by many but he was a great talent. In the unlikely event that anyone over a certain age on here hasn't listened to the Concert for Bangladesh album go have a listen and give yourself a treat. Although technically a Harrison album there are some great performances by a number of people and if Harrison and Clapton's version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps doesn't blow you away I don't know what would. Whilst both Lennon and McCartney had some off songs I can't remember one Harrison song I didn't like.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 770 times
Has Liked: 10055 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:58 am

houseboy wrote:Not much really mi old mate because I didn't like Sinatra either. And in my humble defence bud he wrote that whilst with the Beatles. It is a great song though, as was Yesterday. But it's his output SINCE the Beatles that has been generally dire. I've found over the years that there are two raw nerves in music, that is when you say you don't like McCartney and Sinatra. Just didn't do anything for me at all. Having said all that it is my love of music that makes me realise how diverse we all are and that is only a good thing. Personally I don't like soul music (with a few exceptions) but it has brought millions of people a lot of joy over the years and that is fantastic.

Neither McCartney nor Sinatra did anything for me Ian, I was just quoting Sinatra's alleged comment about George Harrison's toon.
Love him or hate him, having 'Ol Blue Eyes mentioning you in despatches is something to have on your CV.

Rammy1968
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Rammy1968 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:30 am

I have never really understood the fuss about The Beatles, far better bands and Lyricists from that era.............. in my humble opinion. But its always sad to see some nutjob killing an innocent man........

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:23 am

As I said earlier, even if you don't like The Beatles many bands we do like loved them and recognised their innovating ways. One of my favorites certainly did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRS10BeQOz0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxwhpuIbFoQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:28 am

Rammy1968 wrote:I have never really understood the fuss about The Beatles, far better bands and Lyricists from that era.............. in my humble opinion. But its always sad to see some nutjob killing an innocent man........
The Kinks.. Ray Davies 8-)

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:57 am

Love me Do to Sgt Pepper in 5 years. Some going in my book. Add in Rubber Soul (65) and Revolver (66) prior. Quite simply the most important band in popular music history.
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera Vino blanco

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:19 pm

Juan Tanamera wrote:Neither McCartney nor Sinatra did anything for me Ian, I was just quoting Sinatra's alleged comment about George Harrison's toon.
Love him or hate him, having 'Ol Blue Eyes mentioning you in despatches is something to have on your CV.
Absolutely. When I was involved in the music scene I would have dueted with him gladly for the kudos.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:22 pm

Sinatra didn't know it was a George Harrison song, he actually called it Lennon and McCartneys greatest song.