Royal Wedding Cost

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Royal Wedding Cost

Post by Blackrod » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:01 am

Over £2.5 million to the taxpayer. Meanwhile tramps are being told to clear off the streets or they will have their sleeping bags and clothes confiscated by the local authority. Disgraceful.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Re: Royal Wedding Cost

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:04 am

I’d imagine the TV rights revenue and all that goes with it plus all the tourist revenue jobs etc far far outweighs the hassle of clearing a few beggars and junkies from the street ?

AlargeClaret

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:08 am

Though it’s disappointing the Queen isn’t funding the actual £2.5m ,though maybe she’s paid for the disco at the night do or something ?
These 2 users liked this post: houseboy longsidepies

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:22 pm

Blackrod wrote:Over £2.5 million to the taxpayer. Meanwhile tramps are being told to clear off the streets or they will have their sleeping bags and clothes confiscated by the local authority. Disgraceful.
Since the 1980s The Queen has been voluntarily paying around 87% of her revenues every year to the Government in return for them picking up the cost of, for example, policing royal events. It was agreed last year to reduce this contribution down to 75% for the next 2 years so that Windsor Castle could be brought up to modern standards of plumbing, heating and electrics.
Effectively, the monarch pays more in tax than any other person in the UK.

And why should we allow people sleeping on the streets? When did it become acceptable? When did it become legal to block the pavement? Retailers have to apply for a permit to place signs or other street furniture in order to allow free passage to pedestrians. Protest, if you like, about the lack of mental health professionals to assist the many homeless people who have mental health problems, or the lack of reasonable, alternative accommodations. Protest, if you like, about the cutting of tax rates for those with high incomes, which would have more than raised the £2.5 million (which in government budget terms is a tiny drop in the ocean).
These 5 users liked this post: Rowls The Enclosure Colburn_Claret Top Claret Stayingup

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:24 pm

bfcmik wrote:Since the 1980s The Queen has been voluntarily paying around 87% of her revenues every year to the Government in return for them picking up the cost of, for example, policing royal events. It was agreed last year to reduce this contribution down to 75% for the next 2 years so that Windsor Castle could be brought up to modern standards of plumbing, heating and electrics.

And why should we allow people sleeping on the streets? When did it become acceptable? When did it become legal to block the pavement? Retailers have to apply for a permit to place signs or other street furniture in order to allow free passage to pedestrians. Protest, if you like, about the lack of mental health professionals to assist the many homeless people who have mental health problems, or the lack of reasonable, alternative accommodations. Protest, if you like, about the cutting of tax rates for those with high incomes, which would have more than raised the £2.5 million (which in government budget terms is a tiny drop in the ocean).
i think what he was saying is put the money towards helping the homeless
Last edited by BOYSIE31 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:33 pm

Good. God bless the Queen and all the Royal family those dirty Street sleepers should get a job so they aren't littering the streets with their bodies. I don't want to see homeless people in the streets it makes me feel depressed. How dare they make me feel that way.
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret

bfcmik

Post by bfcmik » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:37 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:i THINK WHAT HE WAS TRYING TO SAY IS USE THE 2.5 MILLION TO HELP THE HOMELESS
Which we all know wouldn't happen anyway. This government is never going to throw money at something that would not win them any votes, line the pockets of a 'friend' or garner loads of positive headlines in the media.
This user liked this post: houseboy

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:43 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:I’d imagine the TV rights revenue and all that goes with it plus all the tourist revenue jobs etc far far outweighs the hassle of clearing a few beggars and junkies from the street ?
Tourist revenue?

joey13

Post by joey13 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:45 pm

bfcmik wrote:Since the 1980s The Queen has been voluntarily paying around 87% of her revenues every year to the Government in return for them picking up the cost of, for example, policing royal events. It was agreed last year to reduce this contribution down to 75% for the next 2 years so that Windsor Castle could be brought up to modern standards of plumbing, heating and electrics.

Don’t know where you got those figures from but they are completely wrong

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:55 pm

joey13 wrote:Don’t know where you got those figures from but they are completely wrong
In paper today 2 million could have been saved if she got wed at a chapel opposite her dads house - but dont be silly we pay for the lot of them and also dads golfing hobby flying the prick around on a private helicopter.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:59 pm

I'm a lifelong anti royalist so I declare my position openly. Speaking practically I cannot see why the taxpayer still funds the Royals, they have enormous amounts of money and to ask them to fund their own family wedding at 2.5 million surely isn't too much to ask. If we stopped funding them and they want to remain in situ then okay, we have a figurehead, but to keep pouring money into their already overloaded pot is bizarre to me in the extreme. I really, genuinely have spent a lot of time over the years wondering why common people fawn over the Royals and line the streets wherever they are, I'm not being contraversial I just genuinely don't see how we can revere a family who are, by an accident of birth, given so much wealth and privilege.

For those of you who may be tempted to start saying 'what about the income they generate' or 'what about tourists' let me say I have yet to be convinced by any of this. Certainly the tourist thing is a dead end as a survey of foreign tourists some years ago showed that in all the reasons they gave for coming here the royal family didn't even figure in the top ten.

I don't hate them, they are what they are and they can't help what they were born into, but in times of austerity should we be cutting services, freezing public sector pay, doing nothing constructive about hospital waiting lists (or even simply getting a doctors appointment), driving on third world roads, having the police so threadbare that they don't investigate two thirds of reported crime and cutting council money to stop it from going where it's needed, and then giving millions to a family that simply doesn't need it?
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies Blackrod

chekhov
Been Liked: 804 times
Has Liked: 1513 times

Post by chekhov » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:11 pm

What royal wedding is it we're talking about here?

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:11 pm

houseboy wrote:For those of you who may be tempted to start saying 'what about the income they generate' or 'what about tourists' let me say I have yet to be convinced by any of this. Certainly the tourist thing is a dead end as a survey of foreign tourists some years ago showed that in all the reasons they gave for coming here the royal family didn't even figure in the top ten.
The Palace of Versailles is regarded as a bigger tourist attraction than Buck Palace.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:12 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:In paper today 2 million could have been saved if she got wed at a chapel opposite her dads house - but dont be silly we pay for the lot of them and also dads golfing hobby flying the prick around on a private helicopter.
I know , I’m not disagreeing with you :?:
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:14 pm

Whats the budget for the hen do? I'll take em to Hemmingways, goldfingers for a lapdance then up the tv tower. job done

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:17 pm

So put simply, where would you have the homeless sleep? Would you have them all shot? Should they be put in jail (for what crime?) and cost the taxpayer money? At what point do you think unemployment and homelessness became a crime? Just what, exactly, would you do with them? Since when did it become offensive to look at others less fortunate than you and say they should be stopped from doing the only thing they can do? Or maybe you think they should all commit suicide so that they don't offend your senses whilst you are bloody shopping?

Only so much can be swept under the carpet and ignored but human beings with nowhere to live and no chance of employment until they get somewhere to live and no chance of getting even benefits because they are no fixed abode and no chance of getting anywhere to live because they have no money and having no money because they have no job and no job because they have no home etc. etc. etc. Boringly repetitive? That is exactly what their life is like bud.

Next time you are out shopping, spending your no doubt well earned money, and you come across those awful homeless people causing offence to everyone trying going over to one and kicking them to death, it might salve your feelings.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:33 pm

How much would it actually cost to help the homeless? If, for example, a fit and healthy homeless person was offered three months in a hostel free of charge, food provided (maybe Shelter could provide these) and a useful job such as sweeping the streets or anything else you care to mention - government grants could pay the council wages - then in three months at say a 50 hour week on minimum wage, they would have accumulated £5,000 savings. Then with a bit of financial advice (Citizens' Advice Bureau) they would have a very good start to renting a bedsit and continuing to save, and to move jobs because they now have a permanent address.

It wouldn't help alcoholics or drug addicts, but it would give the genuine helpless homeless who want to do better, a very good start.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:21 pm

houseboy wrote:So put simply, where would you have the homeless sleep? Would you have them all shot? Should they be put in jail (for what crime?) and cost the taxpayer money?
Next time you are out shopping, spending your no doubt well earned money, and you come across those awful homeless people causing offence to everyone trying going over to one and kicking them to death, it might salve your feelings.
You seem to be confusing or rather conflating homelessness and rough sleeping. Take Burnley, for example, there is no need to be sleeping on the streets as there is emergency accommodation and various agencies offering support. Liverpool have a “no second night” scheme.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:33 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:You seem to be confusing or rather conflating homelessness and rough sleeping. Take Burnley, for example, there is no need to be sleeping on the streets as there is emergency accommodation and various agencies offering support. Liverpool have a “no second night” scheme.
But are the emergency places enough? Do we know this or are there more people than places? And are there criteria that some might not meet? I don't know, I'm just asking the question.
The only thing I do know for certain is I have a mate at work who lives in the centre of Manchester in a very nice apartment near the arena. He is a proud Manc and loves the city and he helps out a great deal at a homeless centre/soup kitchen. He says he nearly cries sometimes because they have to turn people away due to being over full. It's especially bad now because the bad weather is coming.

I wasn't speaking before about Burnley specifically so excuse my ignorance but I can't help but get angry when people start to blame others for their own misfortunes. Yes sometimes it is self inflicted but sometimes, even mostly, they are not victims of their own design.

I'm no bleeding heart and I believe in self-help wherever possible, I have little time for the 'poor little old me' type and those who feel sorry for themselves, but we have a homeless problem in this country that as a rich nation (for that is what we are despite Tory cuts) we just simply shouldn't have and we should be ashamed of that. I often wonder when I see homeless people how they got there and if they have even lost children because of it. I got friendly with a guy in Manchester some years ago when I worked down there, a homeless young chap in his 20's who used to have a 'pitch' near where I worked that was on the way to and from where I caught the bus. He was very intelligent and spoke well, he didn't appear to be a junkie (and I know one when I see one as I have had it in the family, not my family my wife's) and he was very friendly. He didn't feel sorry for himself and he didn't want pity. Did he beg, yes of course he did because he had no other way of making money. He told me his story, which I won't bore you with, but all he wanted was a chance, that one chance to get off the street and have a normal life. I used to buy him a pie or something occasionally. I left that job with him still being there and I don't know what became of him but it changed the way I view the homeless forever. I sincerely hope the young man found some happiness and got his life back oin track because that was all he asked.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Although I haven't looked into it that closely as I am a Republican I believe the majority of those costs are for security personnel as a result of the marriage being at St Georges chapel in Windsor and because the princess wants a horse-drawn carriage ride around the streets like Megan and Hewitts son.

bfcmik

Post by bfcmik » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:50 pm

houseboy wrote:So put simply, where would you have the homeless sleep? Would you have them all shot? Should they be put in jail (for what crime?) and cost the taxpayer money? At what point do you think unemployment and homelessness became a crime? Just what, exactly, would you do with them? Since when did it become offensive to look at others less fortunate than you and say they should be stopped from doing the only thing they can do? Or maybe you think they should all commit suicide so that they don't offend your senses whilst you are bloody shopping?

Only so much can be swept under the carpet and ignored but human beings with nowhere to live and no chance of employment until they get somewhere to live and no chance of getting even benefits because they are no fixed abode and no chance of getting anywhere to live because they have no money and having no money because they have no job and no job because they have no home etc. etc. etc. Boringly repetitive? That is exactly what their life is like bud.

If you look I offered ideas that could be done to help homeless people. At no time did I criticise the rough sleepers (which is what we are actually talking about here rather than people who are homeless - there is a huge difference in the causes and solutions) nor suggest any lethal means of control. But, having said that, I do support moving them off the streets where I am. Why do you never see or hear of them sleeping rough down a backstreet or, for instance, on Stoops Estate or around the Duke Bar area? As has been said there are places available for rough sleepers but their problems are often as much to do with mental health issues or addictions as from not having places to go. There is help available but it is often not the most appropriate or what they are willing to accept.

40+ years ago I was a rough sleeper for a while after leaving the army. Fortunately for me I was helped by some wonderful people after going for some free food one day. Times have changed though, and local authorities and Health Services cannot afford to provide the trained personnel needed to change mindsets and address the psychological difficulties than prevent many rough sleepers from getting the help they require.

Don't think for one moment that most rough sleepers are doing so because they do not have options. There is lots of well meaning, if under-funded, help and support around. The vast majority refuse to access it because they would have their illegal substances removed or have to accept help with their mental health problems or in breaking their addictions. IF you really have so much concern then join one of the support networks - they would be only too glad of the physical help.
This user liked this post: otto1959

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Post by mkmel » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:55 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:I’d imagine the TV rights revenue and all that goes with it plus all the tourist revenue jobs etc far far outweighs the hassle of clearing a few beggars and junkies from the street ?
So those living on the streets are all beggars and junkies?
And it's ok to clear them off the streets for the benefit of two people getting married?

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Every time I pass a homeless person or street beggar,thy seem to be playing on their IPhone whilst smoking a fag or eating. Free pie or pasty.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:03 pm

bfcmik wrote:If you look I offered ideas that could be done to help homeless people. At no time did I criticise the rough sleepers (which is what we are actually talking about here rather than people who are homeless - there is a huge difference in the causes and solutions) nor suggest any lethal means of control. But, having said that, I do support moving them off the streets where I am. Why do you never see or hear of them sleeping rough down a backstreet or, for instance, on Stoops Estate or around the Duke Bar area? As has been said there are places available for rough sleepers but their problems are often as much to do with mental health issues or addictions as from not having places to go. There is help available but it is often not the most appropriate or what they are willing to accept.

40+ years ago I was a rough sleeper for a while after leaving the army. Fortunately for me I was helped by some wonderful people after going for some free food one day. Times have changed though, and local authorities and Health Services cannot afford to provide the trained personnel needed to change mindsets and address the psychological difficulties than prevent many rough sleepers from getting the help they require.

Don't think for one moment that most rough sleepers are doing so because they do not have options. There is lots of well meaning, if under-funded, help and support around. The vast majority refuse to access it because they would have their illegal substances removed or have to accept help with their mental health problems or in breaking their addictions. IF you really have so much concern then join one of the support networks - they would be only too glad of the physical help.
Not all homeless people are on drugs, far from it.
Yes you do see people sleeping up back streets.
If you were homeless would YOU sleep rough on Stoops?
People with mental health issues often don't know they have them so why would they seek help?
My comments, as I have already explained, where not specifically about Burnley, which, bad as it might be, doesn't really have that much of a problem.
Those with addictions actually wouldn't have their suubstances removed if they sought help, they would be offered help which would include substances. My daughter is currently doing her uni placement at a local drug and alcohol re-hab and she tells me that they are full to capacity and they cannot take any more, and that is only in Accrington, not Manchester or Birmingham or Newcastle.
As for your own situation all those years ago I would offer a hearty well done because, as an ex soldier you should never have been put in that position. You deserved better and it just goes to show how we treat certain people in this country.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:24 pm

chekhov wrote:What royal wedding is it we're talking about here?
Ditto I thought they were all hitched up.
This user liked this post: HiroshimaClaret

AlargeClaret

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:30 pm

mkmel wrote:So those living on the streets are all beggars and junkies?
And it's ok to clear them off the streets for the benefit of two people getting married?
And how many rough sleepers are actually being moved from around Windsor Castle ? Would you want them at your own wedding ? Ultimately if a few are moved on for a few days it’s no big deal . The wider issue of homelessness and rough sleeping ,inc the mental health issues ,alcoholism and drug addiction and often just sheer circumstance are not the issue .

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:03 pm

Whos putting pie and peas on for em?

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:05 pm

It is one of Air Miles Andys daughter getting married to a man (I presume).

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:12 pm

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that reprobate's sprogs :D

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Corky wrote:It is one of Air Miles Andys daughter getting married to a man (I presume).
And don't forget his best mate in the USA has a bit of a dodgy background.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:05 pm

Turtle to Bluelab

AlargeClaret

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:12 pm

I always think of “Randy’s” spitting image puppet going through all his ex birds with Prince Philip saying “ cor she sounded a bit dirty” Koo “ starkers “ etc

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:17 pm

Blackrod wrote:Over £2.5 million to the taxpayer. Meanwhile tramps are being told to clear off the streets or they will have their sleeping bags and clothes confiscated by the local authority. Disgraceful.
It is beyond my comprehension as to why in a modern era, people still bother with the royals, Quite why we tolerate the expenditure is alarming, and to see supposedly normal human beings queueing for eternity to watch some people standing on a balcony or wearing a dress is incredible.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:28 pm

If it was one of your daughters getting married, it would probably cost a fortune. She'd likely get married somewhere exotic rather than the local cheap church, and you wouldn't be happy if some beggars were sleeping outside the venue spoiling the photos and the occasion.

So not a lot of difference to most people really.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:36 pm

As always when there's some stupid extravagance at the taxpayer's expense the argument is "but what about the poor". And then when the rest of us actually want to do something to help the poor we're called leftie, bleeding-heart communists trying to give lazy scroungers something for nothing.

Edit: Oh, and we're also called "virtue-signallers".
This user liked this post: bfcmik

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 pm

Attachments
004105CE-F42E-4428-BDCB-1D92CFE2DC9A.jpeg
004105CE-F42E-4428-BDCB-1D92CFE2DC9A.jpeg (129.85 KiB) Viewed 3407 times

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:00 pm

The money could have been allocated on another priority such as the NHS, I think homeless/beggers ect are a separate issue & that side shouldn't have money necessarily thrown at it, more in the way towards rehabilitation & alternative suitable housing funded by the recipient on a success basis & other fundraising activities.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:53 pm

Spending 1p on Fergies offspring is 1p too much.If this parasite wants a wedding her parents or grandparents should foot the bill.The poor guy I saw rough sleeping near Windsor theatre opposite the castle will no doubt get hoovered up as part of a public purse funded clean up.

bfcmik

Post by bfcmik » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:11 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:Spending 1p on Fergies offspring is 1p too much.If this parasite wants a wedding her parents or grandparents should foot the bill.The poor guy I saw rough sleeping near Windsor theatre opposite the castle will no doubt get hoovered up as part of a public purse funded clean up.
And will no doubt have been offered a nice bed and breakfast at a hostel/shelter whilst they were at it. It wouldn't have just been a case of, "Oy you, **** orf from here!"

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:44 pm

If, as suggested earlier, the streets of Windsor are to be cleared of beggars/rough sleepers
before and/or during the wedding day/weekend then there clearly is a link whether we like it or not.
albeit I think, if my memory serves me well, that the local council did the same for
Harry and Megans' wedding last year.
And that probably cost the tax payer a great deal more and it would be interesting to know
what, if any, were the TV rights for showing the wedding?
I suspect a huge amount. Who did it go to?
Did it offset the costs of staging the event which, no doubt, was also hugely expensive.
Does anybody care?

I mean it was a pretty good day out for all involved including those watching it on the telly.

But this wedding coming up just really isn't in the same category as Harry's and Megan's
even though Harry isn't directly in line to become the next King.

So, if the lady in question (whose name I forget) wants the full Windsor experience
that's fine with me. She has the right to ask for it.

Do I (or other taxpayers) have the right to say I/we do not wish to contribute towards the costs
of this wedding?

Should I protest and get in touch with my local MP?
Contact Change.org and see if they've got a petition going?

jurek

Post by jurek » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:17 pm

Just to add ( if anyone is interested that is) I've just found a petition on

republic.org.uk

Around 40000 have signed so far.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 pm

bfcmik wrote:Which we all know wouldn't happen anyway. This government is never going to throw money at something that would not win them any votes, line the pockets of a 'friend' or garner loads of positive headlines in the media.
Is any government you g to do that? If you think.so your misguided.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:34 pm

I think.the public should not pay for this wedding and I am a Royalist. But to talk about rough sleeping and bring that into the discussion is irrelevant. There are hard luck stories and it's heart rending. But a walk down Deansgate these days tells me many of these are professional, many from London - because northerners are a softer touch - but many also drug addicts. Drugs are the curse of our society at this time.

jurek

Post by jurek » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:49 pm

Agree Stayingup (bfcmik too) but I'm not misguided.

But they (well, Prince Andrew, Duke of York or a friend) could have at least started
up some crowd funding.
Would be interesting to see how much they could raise, if nothing else.

bfcmik

Post by bfcmik » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:20 am

joey13 wrote:Don’t know where you got those figures from but they are completely wrong
"39. The Sovereign Grant for the year to 31 March 2019 is set at £82.2 million.
40. Thereafter, the amount of the Sovereign Grant for a financial year is determined by the Royal Trustees
and will normally be equal to a prescribed percentage. Initially this was set at 15% of the income account net surplus of the Crown Estate for the financial year two years previous. However, the Royal Trustees have agreed that from 2017-18, the Sovereign Grant will be calculated based on 25% of the income account net surplus of the Crown Estate for the financial year two years previous, with the additional 10% to be used to fund the reservicing of Buckingham Palace over a period of ten years." https://www.royal.uk/sites/default/file ... _final.pdf

The revenues of the Duchy of Lancaster have, since 1399, been used to pay the personal expenses of the Monarch and their dependents.

Where you are correct is that it is the revenues of the Crown Estate which are paid to the government (almost £400million this year) and could be described as a voluntary 'tax' contribution but this arrangement was made by George IV in 1795, whilst he was still the Price of Wales, as he was, essentially, bankrupt due to his own profligacy. The Queen agreed in 1992 that, contrary to the agreements made when Charles II was restored to the throne in 1660, her personal income, from both the Duchy of Lancaster and her investment portfolio, would be considered taxable from that date forward. Since, technically, the government only manage the Treasury on behalf of the Monarch - hence why it is called Her Majesty's Treasury - so we have the Monarch paying taxes to herself!

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:23 am

The virtuous who say the money could be better spent forget that the same statement could be said about most things.
Linking it to beggars on the street and the NHS doesn't prove the argument. If 2.5 million on a Royal Wedding is a waste what about paying 100 million for Pogba, and 0.5 million a week in wages. Now that's money that could be better used 8n the NHS, but of course we live in the real world.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:29 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:The virtuous who say the money could be better spent forget that the same statement could be said about most things.
Linking it to beggars on the street and the NHS doesn't prove the argument. If 2.5 million on a Royal Wedding is a waste what about paying 100 million for Pogba, and 0.5 million a week in wages. Now that's money that could be better used 8n the NHS, but of course we live in the real world.
Money in football is private money so is totally irrelevant.

Like many others, I still can't see what the daughter of Prince Andrew brings to the table when it comes the wider public apart from being a lazy scrounger.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:36 am

South West Claret. wrote:Thanks, I'd forgotten about that reprobate's sprogs :D
Pardon my vernacular but who gives two sh*ts about one of Andrew & Ferguson`s offspring tying the knot? What a joke that it is being paid for by every tax-paying Tom, Dick & Harry in Britain. I get the interest in William and Harry but this?

joey13

Post by joey13 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:57 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:The virtuous who say the money could be better spent forget that the same statement could be said about most things.
Has ever a comparison missed the point by so much ?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:20 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:It is beyond my comprehension as to why in a modern era, people still bother with the royals, Quite why we tolerate the expenditure is alarming, and to see supposedly normal human beings queueing for eternity to watch some people standing on a balcony or wearing a dress is incredible.
My sentiments entirely mate. As I said before it is just beyond me as to why this happens. I've felt this way for years and I have even wondered if I'm missing the whole joke.