Statins

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1293 times

Statins

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:48 pm

Just been told by the nurse at the docs that my cholesterol levels are a bit high. Bit surprised because I do a fair bit of cycling. Anyway they have suggested that I go on statins.

There has been some negative feedback on statins i seem to remember, has anyone on here had problems with statins?

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Re: Statins

Post by Corky » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:57 pm

I know a health care professional whose advice to me was to steer well clear. Sorry I can't give you any specifics as I did just that.

dsr
Been Liked: 4573 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:58 pm

What do they mean by "a bit high"? Did you get a number?

They're potential hell for older people. My mother knows several people who took them and within a year had some other problems - sore legs, aching joints, diabetes. There's no way of knowing whether it was statins that caused them, but it's a number of coincidences if not. I've not heard of younger people being similarly affected.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:59 pm

Can I ask how many times they've checked your levels? Some doctors throw medication at people at the first sign, which in my opinion is madness. I had high blood pressure and the doctor who I saw, almost had a script ready for beta blockers. I declined. A few weeks later after doing more exercise, it was back down to normal.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Leyland Claret
Been Liked: 103 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Leyland Claret » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Been on statins for a few years now. Started on Simvastatin 40mg and had to come off them as it made me ache all over. Went on to Atorvastatin (Lipitor) 20mg and it’s been fine ever since. Unfortunately you’re more than likely will have to take them for the rest of your life but they do keep the cholesterol down. I’m 47 next week for reference
Last edited by Leyland Claret on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cirrus_Minor

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:05 pm

dsr wrote:What do they mean by "a bit high"? Did you get a number?

They're potential hell for older people. My mother knows several people who took them and within a year had some other problems - sore legs, aching joints, diabetes. There's no way of knowing whether it was statins that caused them, but it's a number of coincidences if not. I've not heard of younger people being similarly affected.
5.2 was the level

KeighleyClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by KeighleyClaret » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:06 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Can I ask how many times they've checked your levels? Some doctors throw medication at people at the first sign, which in my opinion is madness. I had high blood pressure and the doctor who I saw, almost had a script ready for beta blockers. I declined. A few weeks later after doing more exercise, it was back down to normal.
1) There is no safe lower level for Cholesterol
2) Knowing the number doesn't help as you need to know the breakdown between low and high density lipids
3) Doctors don't give drugs at the first sign (certainly not this one) but for good science. Lowering BP and Cholesterol levels have good science behind them.
4) Some statins cause more problems than others. Especially the cheap ones. Get a better one of you have side effects.
5) Keep riding the bike. And keep checking your BP.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

KeighleyClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by KeighleyClaret » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:07 pm

5.2 is definitely more than a bit high. Were you fasted overnight?

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:12 pm

5.2's OK. The target is 5 according to at least one website, and my doctor wasn't concerned with 5.9. Statins mess with your liver, so if you can keep off them, do. Eat less fat, or something; and as Frank said, take several readings before taking serious lifetime medicines like statins.

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 383 times
Has Liked: 234 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Been taking atorvastatin for 15 years - no side effects for me.

Cirrus_Minor

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:20 pm

KeighleyClaret wrote:5.2 is definitely more than a bit high. Were you fasted overnight?
No fasting just had a blood test as part of a 'well man' check.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:23 pm

KeighleyClaret wrote:1) There is no safe lower level for Cholesterol
2) Knowing the number doesn't help as you need to know the breakdown between low and high density lipids
3) Doctors don't give drugs at the first sign (certainly not this one) but for good science. Lowering BP and Cholesterol levels have good science behind them.
4) Some statins cause more problems than others. Especially the cheap ones. Get a better one of you have side effects.
5) Keep riding the bike. And keep checking your BP.
*some* doctor's DO give drugs at the first sign - because I've experienced it!! They're in a rush, they might have 10 people waiting to see them. They want you in and out asap. I've seen doctors check the printer is ready, to print out a prescription before I've sat down. I'm not debating that, because I know damn well it happens.

So - my question remains to the OP.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:30 pm

dsr wrote:5.2's OK. The target is 5 according to at least one website, and my doctor wasn't concerned with 5.9. Statins mess with your liver, so if you can keep off them, do. Eat less fat, or something; and as Frank said, take several readings before taking serious lifetime medicines like statins.
I'm not a doc, but a few authority sites online agree with you. That 5.2 or under is ideal. Others say 5.2 is slightly above ideal, but certainly not sky high.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:34 pm

My doctor was very patient with me. My cholestrol was 6.5 but I am exercising regularly and think myself very fit for my age. i also hate drugs of any sort and told her I probably wouldn't take them.
We do have a family history of high cholestrol but hardly any heart problems.
This debate went on for a couple of years but she said she was getting concerned as I was 63. I finally relented and said I would take the lowest dose she could give me. I am on 10mg Atorvastin Teva. 2 years later I have had no adverse reactions but my cholestrol, very quickly, came down to 4.2.
I'm still not a fan of drugs but you have to trust the doctor.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:34 pm

About 3 or so years ago I had problems with my BP which started climbing and reached around 209/92 and my Chlolesterol was at 5.9.

I started on Amlopodine and Artorvastatin and now maintain an acceptable 130/80 ish and a count of 3.7.

No negative side effects whatsoever.

Cirrus_Minor

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:39 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I'm not a doc, but a few authority sites online agree with you. That 5.2 or under is ideal. Others say 5.2 is slightly above ideal, but certainly not sky high.
The first time I have been checked for cholesterol, certainly for very many years. incidentally my blood pressure on the excellent.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:42 pm

Cirrus_Minor wrote:The first time I have been checked for cholesterol, certainly for very many years. incidentally my blood pressure on the excellent.
So it's the first time you've been checked and he/she is wanting to put you on medication?

I'd make an appointment with a different doctor and see what they say. But I know what I would do if it was me. I'd look into natural ways to bring it down such as looking at diet and doing a bit more exercise. I wouldn't accept going onto medication when some doctors will probably tell you it's the upper normal level.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Overall level is not as meaningful as the breakdown of "good and bad".

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:05 pm

I was in Simvestatin for years. Was constantly constantly suffering with aches & pains. At times having to sit down every 15 minutes when walking. Once they took me off statins it went away within a week. I now do 5km walks every Saturday and Sunday.

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by UnderSeige » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:25 pm

I was in a similar position last December. I did not want to go on statins. I did a bit of research on how to lower cholesterol. There is lots of stuff on google and YouTube.

I then started to eat lots of cholesterol lowering foods such as oats and nuts. There is also cholesterol lowering margarine and yogurt which you can buy at any of the big supermarkets. I believe that exercise also helps.

A month later, my cholesterol was retested and was below the government recommended level of 5 mm0l/L. It had dropped from 5.6 to 3.5.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:38 pm

Also you can add turmeric to soups, curries and stews. (Plus black pepper to activate the curcumin it contains.
Turmeric is proven to lower blood pressure and cholesterol, as well as being a powerful antioxidant.
(Universityhealthnews.com) But large doses can interfere with statins, so check with your doc.
(Vids on YouTube all about turmeric).

Blyclaret
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Blyclaret » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:49 pm

I was told by my doctor 5.2 is the correct level for an adult male.
Btw if you go to health shop and get Red Sterol
It’s a natural product and it works
No side effects.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi Cirrus, never a good idea to treat numbers. Best to treat the patient.
So who is the person with a total cholesterol on 5.2?
1) Age
2)smoker, non-smoker
3)Any family history of heart attacks strokes-parents, siblings. anyone with type 2 diabetes
4)your height and weight
5) Your blood pressure
6)Your lipid profile should include total cholesterol (TC), HDL, triglycerides (and to make sense of the triglycerides the profile needs to be after a 12hour fast) and the ratio of TC:HDL
Before advising about a statin your doctor should have looked at your QRisk3 and you could do some of this or all of it yourself on line. This will give your 10 year risk of stroke, heart attack based on much of the above.
There is quite a variability in cholesterol in folk wit rises in winter and a fall in summer so unless you pitch up at a hospital with a heart attack-making several measurements over a few months is a wise move.
This user liked this post: Chip Harrison

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Cirrus_Minor wrote:Just been told by the nurse at the docs that my cholesterol levels are a bit high. Bit surprised because I do a fair bit of cycling. Anyway they have suggested that I go on statins.

There has been some negative feedback on statins i seem to remember, has anyone on here had problems with statins?

The wife was diagnosed similarly 18 months ago and has been taking an "Atorvastin" 40mg tablet daily since... at 1st she took them at night before bed and found she wasn't sleeping. Now she takes it in the morning and has no side effects (noticeable anyhow).
Her Cholesterol is now at a good level...

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 773 times
Has Liked: 1431 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:24 pm

Cirrus_Minor wrote:5.2 was the level
You can go for the statins and the side effects or take Something like Benecol each day.

Diet and foods like Benecol can lower cholesterol by over 10%, mine came down by 15% and I was a little higher than yours

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6362 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:00 pm

Just come through a medical check with doc. Cholesterol high on prick test (not sure if I passed that one)
I had just come back off an all inclusive cruise, so I wasn't concerned.

Blood test.result. Cholesterol a bit high but significantly lower than prick test. I told doc I was having smoothie with postage oats in it, for breakfast. He mentioned sta tins, I frowned. Ok just keep the smoothies going and try some exercise.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:07 pm

I can't make out whether your a prick or not... Can you be a little more specific.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:16 pm

There is a lot of “advice” on here from non medical people. I don’t wish to be rude, but this sort of advice is often out of context, or just plain incorrect. My advice to the OP is to trust your doctor, or seek a second opinion from another doctor, if you are concerned

vancouverclaret
Been Liked: 68 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by vancouverclaret » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:43 pm

My Dr prescribed statins for me July last year
Another Dr said I didn't need them needless to say I didn't take them. 3 weeks ago I had a heart attack and I'm lucky to be here now.
I take them now.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:10 pm

i've been on statins for five years now after a routine check showed my bad cholestrol was through the roof. My diet was decent, I ran long-distance regularly but my body was churning the stuff out regardless.
Recently, I decided to halve my statins doseage to see what happened - high again, sadly, although, to be fair, I had had a few weeks away in Florida eating shite and drinking far too much.
Even so, it's back to the full dose for me with, luckily, no ill-effects - apart from the need to insult the racist gobshites on this board but, hey, I'll cope.

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:57 pm

There's no doubt that for really high cholesterol levels, statins are wonderful things. But there's a lot of doubt that they're wonderful things for people with average or low cholesterol levels.

As for trusting doctors, use judgement. Doctors didn't know it all fifty years ago, they didn't know it all twenty years ago, they didn't know it all ten years ago, and they don't know it all now. They aren't infallible.

Should my mother have taken thalidomide for severe morning sickness when my oldest brother was inside her? The doctor thought yes; she thought no.

Cirrus_Minor

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:20 am

Thanks for the advice. The test and prescription offer was from the nurses in the practice, I will discuss with a doctor before I decide.

Claretto
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Claretto » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:13 am

Just posted a long response which didn't work...will try again...

I disagree with almost everyone here, and have done an extensive amount of research on the topic.

Here's why:

1. You can tell nothing from the headline cholesterol figure. Prescribing statins based on this figure alone is frankly negligent. The headline cholesterol figure is comprised of HDL and LDL. HDL is the "good" / protective cholesterol which you want to be high. LDL is often described as the "bad" cholesterol...

2. However, studies have repeatedly shown that this isn't true, and higher levels of LDL have actually been associated with lower all-cause mortality risk, so having high or low LDL doesn't seem to matter (https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/6/e010401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

3. Statins are terrible for the following reasons:

a. Yes, they do lower the LDL number...but as I say in #2, this doesn't matter.
b. Regardless of their effect on the LDL number, they have not been shown to have a positive effect on mortality - so why take them? (https://www.bmj.com/content/362/bmj.k3359" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
c. They have terrible side effects. The enhanced risk of getting type 2 diabetes is far larger than any positive effect.

A far better measure of cardiovascular health is the triglycerides / HDL ratio, which should be <2.

I totally disagree with the advice of "don't listen to anything you hear online, speak with your doctor." Most doctors are not well versed in the latest research and stick to the party line of "you need a statin" because of a. the effect of big pharma marketing and b. a fear of litigation. You absolutely must take your health into your own hands, do your own research and challenge everything your doctor says.

For some further reading, the below seems good. That said, don't trust anything at face value and do your own research!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Choleste ... 1592335217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: icu81b4

Claretto

Post by Claretto » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:17 am

It's a classic big pharma trick...

1. Identify an easily measured (and easily lowered/raised) biomarker
2. Find / fund / create some bad science (usually meaningless epidemiological studies) showing a tenuous link between the biomarker and bad outcomes
3. Come up with a drug that lowers that biomarker
4. Make hundreds of billions

However...the science in #2 is poor and the lowering of #3 doesn't actually help you to NOT DIE...
Last edited by Claretto on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:22 am

Leyland Claret wrote:Been on statins for a few years now. Started on Simvastatin 40mg and had to come off them as it made me ache all over. Went on to Atorvastatin (Lipitor) 20mg and it’s been fine ever since. Unfortunately you’re more than likely will have to take them for the rest of your life but they do keep the cholesterol down. I’m 47 next week for reference
Been on them since December 2008 with no problems. I also started on Simvastatin but now take Atorvastatin 40mg. Never had any problems. Only medication I had problems with was for blood pressure, took Almodopine but am now on Ramipril.

iowalan
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 22 times

Post by iowalan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:28 am

Lots of very good advice re:statins following a serious heart attack i was given 80mg statins for life according to my doc ..the side effects were stopping me from doing most things i enjoyed walking sports etc ....... what with that and the fact that all the blood thinners gave me brain bleeds and internal bleeds i was in a mess ....you know your own body and you must keep pushing for whats best for you ...after stopping blood thinners apart from mini aspirin...this cured bleeds ......i asked doc if i could reduce statin.....he said this was unusual to do but gave me a two month trial on 20mg statin ...the difference was amazing i felt lots better and the chloresterol readings were very good.... so side effects have been minimal ...up the clarets.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Claretto wrote:Most doctors are not well versed in the latest research and stick to the party line of "you need a statin" because of the effect of big pharma marketing
Actually, the doctors prescribing these are incredibly well versed in the official guidelines, which are based entirely on the most up to date, reliable evidence, and written by the leading experts. To suggest the doctors are more concerned with pleasing pharmaceutical companies, rather than your well-being is incredibly insulting.

Billyblah
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:01 pm

I've had a cholesterol reading of around 6.0 and occasionally up to 6.4 for many years. I'm now aged 56.
I discussed the option of Statins with my GP some years back. We went through a risk analysis rather as mdd2 suggests above.
It takes into account age, lifestyle, alcohol consumption, whether I smoke, level of activity (I cycle 50 miles per week), assessment of the different types of cholesterol present, and the outcome was that my risk factor was relatively low.
There are different types of statins, some may have a counterproductive effect and some might be ok. It's down to the individual to discuss/asses with their GP and then make their own decision tailored to personal circumstance.

Claretto

Post by Claretto » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:45 am

Roosterbooster wrote:Actually, the doctors prescribing these are incredibly well versed in the official guidelines, which are based entirely on the most up to date, reliable evidence, and written by the leading experts. To suggest the doctors are more concerned with pleasing pharmaceutical companies, rather than your well-being is incredibly insulting.
Don't get me wrong, I think most doctors are generally good, caring people who want to help others. If presented as: choose big pharma or your patient then the choice is obvious. That said, they are highly reliant on official guidelines / common practice as they are just too busy to stay abreast of all the latest research on all of the topics they are expected to know.

The government / official guidelines are certainly influenced by big pharma. Who do you think funds the research? Large, randomised controlled studies are incredibly expensive.

You only have to look at the official dietary guidelines (low fat and low saturated fat, based off of terrible / manipulated science) to lose all faith in 'official guidelines'.

You need to take your and your family's health into your own hands.

thelaughingclaret
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by thelaughingclaret » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:34 am

Cirrus_Minor wrote:Thanks for the advice. The test and prescription offer was from the nurses in the practice, I will discuss with a doctor before I decide.
So it was the nurse and not a proper doctor who wanted to put you on statins after you had 1 test?
Yes you need to talk to an actual doctor and as others have said do some research yourself.
I didn’t know nurse practitioners could prescribe things like this? That’s worrying.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:04 am

thelaughingclaret wrote:I didn’t know nurse practitioners could prescribe things like this? That’s worrying.
I wouldn't say so. My medication has all been through the practice nurse.

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by icu81b4 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:15 pm

I'm on statins and they'd cause havoc with my joints, I was on 40mg, and have reduced to 30mg and this has improved my joints marginally, I consider myself a fit slim person who walks for an hour each day, but these meds are affecting my quality of life and I'm going to look into some of the links shown above.

I should add these are Atorvastatin

trawdenclaret
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by trawdenclaret » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:35 pm

I started on simvistatin bloody crippled me painful joints etc. Was told these are the rough cheap statins changed to lipitor atorvastin no side effects at all and my cholesterol halved.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:29 pm

Heart attack Feb 2016, 80 mg Atorvastatin, Ramipril and aspirin every day since. Also, changed diet, changed lifestyle, a lot more exercise, a lot more fruit and veg, cut out (almost) all red meat, ditto alcohol (0.0% or small beers only).

Thing is I had low cholesterol before heart attack - in fact sometimes told "too low." But Atorvastatin has other benefits if you've got cardiovascular disease.

I was 62 and playing 5-a-side when heart attack happened. I thought I was in good health. I thought I had no risk of heart attack.

So, be careful fellow Clarets. I know of a few who weren't so lucky when their cardio disease struck.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:33 pm

vancouverclaret wrote:My Dr prescribed statins for me July last year
Another Dr said I didn't need them needless to say I didn't take them. 3 weeks ago I had a heart attack and I'm lucky to be here now.
I take them now.
Best wishes for your recovery, vancouver.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6847 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:51 pm

Watching my beautiful mum die ever so slowly from dementia I'd sooner pop of sooner whilst I had my marbles. Statins and an extra year or so in a nursing home not recognising my children and grandchildren or a swift end ? Id take the latter.
These 3 users liked this post: Roosterbooster Bosscat Cirrus_Minor

vancouverclaret
Been Liked: 68 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by vancouverclaret » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:02 am

Paul Waine wrote:Best wishes for your recovery, vancouver.
Thanks PW. I'm slowly getting my energy back, going on short walks now. I've always been in good shape, playing football competitively up until a few years ago when I tore my ACL. So it was a shock when it happened, My brother wasn't as lucky 6 years ago he died age 55 of heart attack.
The morning after being discharged from hospital I watched the game against Wolves, I always said supporting Burnley would take years off my life.

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by icu81b4 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:28 am

Claretto wrote:Just posted a long response which didn't work...will try again...

I disagree with almost everyone here, and have done an extensive amount of research on the topic.

Here's why:

1. You can tell nothing from the headline cholesterol figure. Prescribing statins based on this figure alone is frankly negligent. The headline cholesterol figure is comprised of HDL and LDL. HDL is the "good" / protective cholesterol which you want to be high. LDL is often described as the "bad" cholesterol...

2. However, studies have repeatedly shown that this isn't true, and higher levels of LDL have actually been associated with lower all-cause mortality risk, so having high or low LDL doesn't seem to matter (https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/6/e010401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

3. Statins are terrible for the following reasons:

a. Yes, they do lower the LDL number...but as I say in #2, this doesn't matter.
b. Regardless of their effect on the LDL number, they have not been shown to have a positive effect on mortality - so why take them? (https://www.bmj.com/content/362/bmj.k3359" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
c. They have terrible side effects. The enhanced risk of getting type 2 diabetes is far larger than any positive effect.

A far better measure of cardiovascular health is the triglycerides / HDL ratio, which should be <2.

I totally disagree with the advice of "don't listen to anything you hear online, speak with your doctor." Most doctors are not well versed in the latest research and stick to the party line of "you need a statin" because of a. the effect of big pharma marketing and b. a fear of litigation. You absolutely must take your health into your own hands, do your own research and challenge everything your doctor says.

For some further reading, the below seems good. That said, don't trust anything at face value and do your own research!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Choleste ... 1592335217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Following reading this post I have just ordered this book (and a couple of others it recommends) as I'm sick (no pun intended) of having sore joints which limit my ability to enjoy my hobbies (golf and musician), So wish me luck that this thing works.

UTC
This user liked this post: Claretto

Claretto

Post by Claretto » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:54 pm

icu81b4 wrote:Following reading this post I have just ordered this book (and a couple of others it recommends) as I'm sick (no pun intended) of having sore joints which limit my ability to enjoy my hobbies (golf and musician), So wish me luck that this thing works.

UTC
Good luck and well done.

Some other recommended resources:

- Dr Peter Attia (https://youtu.be/8GDx5sObceI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
- Dr Jason Fung
- Dr David Diamond (https://www.ihmc.us/stemtalk/episode-41/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) (https://youtu.be/SYlhG8_nZe0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

The lecture by David Diamond is HIGHLY recommended.

Let us know how you get on.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Claretto wrote:It's a classic big pharma trick...

1. Identify an easily measured (and easily lowered/raised) biomarker
2. Find / fund / create some bad science (usually meaningless epidemiological studies) showing a tenuous link between the biomarker and bad outcomes
3. Come up with a drug that lowers that biomarker
4. Make hundreds of billions

However...the science in #2 is poor and the lowering of #3 doesn't actually help you to NOT DIE...
About the only country where there was an outlier in the relationship between incidence of heart disease and total cholesterol was France.
The lowering of total cholesterol levels results in a reduction of heart disease and the best example of those benefits comes from those with genetic high cholesterol (familial hypercholesterolaemia) where untreated about 75% of men will be dead or had a coronary by 65 years of age and before statins this was a bitch to manage.
That said giving statins out like smarties is not sensible and as before it is the person who hneeds assessing not the cholesterol.
Also as I think this Claretto has posted in later life it maybe the Trigs:HDL ratio and insulin resistance (central obesity) that matters more than total or LDL cholesterol and unless you have a bad family history or are known to have heart disease there is no rush to start taking tablets until you have looked at all the factors posted above.
However those on here condemning statins across the board are really in the flat earth league