** Speed camera alert **

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

** Speed camera alert **

Post by MACCA » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:10 am

As title suggests, there's a speed camera on Padiham Road just past the spar heading towards Padiham. It will probably swap sides or position throughout the day, so be careful.

Its one of the new ones that checks speed, if you're wearing a belt, and if you're on your phone.

I know you shouldn't be doing any of those above, but just letting people know.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Re: ** Speed camera alert **

Post by bobinho » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:13 am

Well done sir.

Prevention better than anything else.

Thing is, when the govt do something to prevent you breaking the law, it’s fair do’s... when individuals do it, it’s perverting the course of justice.

Anyway, good shout. Drive safe everyone.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:17 am

The more of these we have ,the safer everybody will be.. The number of people who drive whilst using their phones is ridiculous.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:22 am

conyoviejo wrote:The more of these we have ,the safer everybody will be.. The number of people who drive whilst using their phones is ridiculous.
I agree con and, as you are aware as a well travelled man, it is all over the country, in spite of the supposed clamp down!

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:26 am

How does the technology ascertain whether you're wearing a seat belt or using your phone?

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:27 am

MACCA wrote: Its one of the new ones that checks speed, if you're wearing a belt, and if you're on your phone.
How can it tell whether you're using a phone or you're scratching your ear?

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:31 am

dsr wrote:How can it tell whether you're using a phone or you're scratching your ear?
Not sure, presume it takes multiple photos, and they charge you after going through them at the end of the day.
Think it'll be a case of you prove you weren't, however pictures can be very conclusive with the right hi tech equipment in place.

There's also the option of phone records so they could align call times, although not sure they'd go to those let the for £100, but who knows.

Think there's a few experts/officers on here that may clear it up.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by karatekid » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:34 am

phone records can't be used as you could say you were on hands free whilst scratching your ear.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by burnleymik » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:39 am

Saw one heading down Rossendale road too, around 30 mins ago. They have been parking at the bottom of there quite a bit recently and it's one of those vans that catches you going both directions. Quite tricky because it's just where it changes from 40mph-30mph going down the hill and just before it changes to 40mph going up the hill.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:46 am

The one on Padiham rd is there quite often. Its sometimes parked just above George lV.

Chip Harrison
Been Liked: 126 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by Chip Harrison » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:13 pm

Just a heads up, but there are heavy fines for people that warn other drivers about the presence of mobile speed cameras. Not sure it applies to social media though!

People have been fined for flashing their lights to warn other road users.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:32 pm

Followed a bloke yesterday who was messing on his phone for 5 or 10 minutes driving at 25 through a built-up 30 limit area with parked cars on both sides and kids wandering about. I could see his reflection in his rear view mirror, and he would be bending across and looking down at something in the armrest storage bit between the seats, occasionally looking up at the road for a split second before messing about again for a few seconds at a time. Eventually we stopped at some lights. Did the bloke move on when the lights turned green? Course not, he was too busy texting to notice so we all got to wait a few seconds while he finished his all-important ******* about on his phone.

Arsehole

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by burnleymik » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:35 pm

Could always try this:
:lol: :lol:
2831681.main_image.jpg
2831681.main_image.jpg (171.66 KiB) Viewed 5755 times
These 5 users liked this post: FactualFrank bobinho Stayingup Bosscat basil6345789

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:42 pm

I'm using an app called Life360 which I've loaded onto the boys phone in preparation for a school footy trip to Valencia - just so I know his whereabouts. This app also knows when you're phone is being used whilst driving - even if you just open the screen for a second and put it down..... It also knows your top speed on a journey, any hard acceleration / hard braking. It'll also show you on a map exactly where you commited the offence. Technology is scary.......

yorkyclaret
Been Liked: 246 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by yorkyclaret » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:45 pm

What happens if you pick up a hitch hiker who has a seat belt exemption. By the time you get notice of intended prosicution he or she is long gone?

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:04 pm

Sutton-Claret wrote:... This app also knows when you're phone is being used whilst driving - even if you just open the screen for a second and put it down.....
Surely not to the extent that it knows whether it's the driver or the passenger who's using it?

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:07 pm

dsr wrote:How can it tell whether you're using a phone or you're scratching your ear?
I got pulled over once for driving using a mobile, must have genuinely been scratching my ear. I didn't have my phone on me, I was only nipping to the shop. He was convinced I had been, I ended up letting him have a search round my car so he'd let it go. Weird.

I did wonder what would happen next if he issued a ticket anyway and it ended up in court. Any legal boffins know?

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:13 pm

dsr wrote:Surely not to the extent that it knows whether it's the driver or the passenger who's using it?
Fair point - safe to say none of the evidence from the app will ever stand up in court..... unless there's photographic evidence that you were driving alone

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:34 pm

yorkyclaret wrote:What happens if you pick up a hitch hiker who has a seat belt exemption. By the time you get notice of intended prosicution he or she is long gone?

If you pick up a hitch hiker who refuses to wear a seat belt, you ask them to get out. Simple.
This user liked this post: deanothedino

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:37 pm

I'm not at all sure that particular van actually needs to swap sides Macca. I saw it too this morning and it's the new one which keeps popping up on that stretch and also on the Padiham by pass. I think it can get you from front or back AND if it parks sideways because it has windows/cameras in all 3 areas if you look.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:58 pm

If I remember correctly from when the seat belt law was brought in, the driver is only responsible for himself and any child passengers. Other adults are responsible for themselves and have to pay their own fine.

Of course, I might not remember correctly, or it may have changed.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:41 pm

dsr wrote:If I remember correctly from when the seat belt law was brought in, the driver is only responsible for himself and any child passengers. Other adults are responsible for themselves and have to pay their own fine.

You are correct. Driver is responsible for himself and any passenger under 14
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/we ... exemptions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chip Harrison
Been Liked: 126 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by Chip Harrison » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:02 pm

yorkyclaret wrote:What happens if you pick up a hitch hiker who has a seat belt exemption. By the time you get notice of intended prosicution he or she is long gone?
Not being funny YC, but whats the odds on that happening?
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Veals

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:24 pm

dsr wrote:If I remember correctly from when the seat belt law was brought in, the driver is only responsible for himself and any child passengers. Other adults are responsible for themselves and have to pay their own fine.

I think your right and certainly this is the case on the continent as my pal was done in Spain.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:52 pm

Of course we all agree that road safety is a good thing but I got to thinking a couple of weeks ago and, for those who say they are not 'traps' for extra taxation think on this:
Why are they often hidden just around corners when the fixed yellows have to have signs warning drivers they are there?
Why are they frenquently parked just as the speed limit reduces?
Why is it an offence for drivers going the other way to warn oncoming vehicles when in doing so they are actually helping road safety by slowing others down?
Just can't help wondering.
This user liked this post: Dazzler

corporal jones
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by corporal jones » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 pm

seems to have been a campaign the last year or so-many more camera vans about than before-I have picked up two tickets this year-first one doing 83 mph on M6 near lancaster which seemed a bit harsh and the other one where the camera was in the Punch Bowl car park in Earby 50 yds before the national speed limit sign. Now you tell me that that camera was not positioned to deliberately catch drivers out and had nothing to do with road safety at all. Having said that it has had the desired effect-i am now obsessed with speed limiters and cruise control wherever I go.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:44 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:If you pick up a hitch hiker who refuses to wear a seat belt, you ask them to get out. Simple.
Say they have a gun? :shock:

lesxdp
Been Liked: 112 times
Has Liked: 1662 times

Post by lesxdp » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:26 pm

:D
tim_noone wrote:Say they have a gun? :shock:
Now that is a real possibility. A hitch hiker refusing to wear a seatbelt and has a gun.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm

It's about time the police had a clampdown on tailgating. Drive on, or within, the speed limit and you'll have someone up your arse in no time at all.

Today I was doing 70mph in the left hand lane of a motorway and I had someone behind me who was about an arm's length from the rear of my car. They had two clear lanes going spare, in which to overtake, but no, they had to be glued to my rear bumper. Same thing happens when doing 30 in a 30mph zone. At times it's hard to fathom out whether they are being aggressive or just thick as feck.
This user liked this post: Dazzler

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:00 pm

Chip Harrison wrote:Just a heads up, but there are heavy fines for people that warn other drivers about the presence of mobile speed cameras. Not sure it applies to social media though!

People have been fined for flashing their lights to warn other road users.
They use that it is illegal to flash your lights unneccessarily. Bit rich when i have had police cars doing the same to me when allowing me to go first etc

Not arguing with you btw..i just think it is a ridiculous rule. Surely when i flash my lights i am telling others to keep to the limit if they arn't already and therefore i am making people slow down and keep an eye on their speed so how exactly would i be punished? What it tells me is that i am preventing them catching people..spoiling their fun..and the real issue is not to reduce speed (as that is what i am helping to do) but to make money.

What if i was to flash my lights going along Padiham Rd when there was no speed camera? I would still make people slow down and would actually be helping the safety aspect..remarkably i wouldn't get punished i presume because there is no camera.

Why do they always park around bends? Why always where there is a speed zone change? Why hardly ever on a straight piece of road with a set zone all along? Surely speed will be greater there?

It is a cash cow masquerading as a safety campaign. The only brightside being is that allegedly it all goes back into road safety measures..speed bumps etc ..someone has to pay for it i suppose. A win win situation for them.Punishing people for flashing their lights just proves it.
Last edited by Somethingfishy on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This user liked this post: burnleymik

Dazzler
Been Liked: 874 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Why are they often hidden just around corners when the fixed yellows have to have signs warning drivers they are there?
Also,why are they often placed where pedestrians very rarely cross the road,if at all.

eg.where it was sat on Padiham road this morning.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:23 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:It's about time the police had a clampdown on tailgating. Drive on, or within, the speed limit and you'll have someone up your arse in no time at all.

Today I was doing 70mph in the left hand lane of a motorway and I had someone behind me who was about an arm's length from the rear of my car. They had two clear lanes going spare, in which to overtake, but no, they had to be glued to my rear bumper. Same thing happens when doing 30 in a 30mph zone. At times it's hard to fathom out whether they are being aggressive or just thick as feck.
Ignorant bullies ...saw a white van colne bound race up someone's arse and stick to em...I'm thinking why? As the lead car gave way to the van another car took it's place :lol: the van was going nowhere fast!
These 2 users liked this post: Dazzler Billy Balfour

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:10 pm

houseboy wrote:Of course we all agree that road safety is a good thing but I got to thinking a couple of weeks ago and, for those who say they are not 'traps' for extra taxation think on this:
Why are they frenquently parked just as the speed limit reduces?
Why is it an offence for drivers going the other way to warn oncoming vehicles when in doing so they are actually helping road safety by slowing others down?
Just can't help wondering.
I'm pretty sure it's not an offence to warn other drivers about camera vans. How could the police prove exactly why you were signalling to another driver? It could just be somebody you know! (M'Lord!)

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:I'm pretty sure it's not an offence to warn other drivers about camera vans. How could the police prove exactly why you were signalling to another driver? It could just be somebody you know! (M'Lord!)
"Misuse of headlights"

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/32600 ... speed-trap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:35 pm

Driving up Padiham road this morning I was flashing each & every driver heading towards padiham of the cash cow van.I don't give a **** if I get fined,
I'll plead guilty of doing my bit for the beleaguered motorist.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:51 pm

Dazzler wrote:"Misuse of headlights"

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/32600 ... speed-trap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, I'd seen that and that's what made me think there really isn't an offence being committed. It seems to read as the police issuing penalty notices to motorists who flash their lights who then pay up without querying it, believing there actually must be an offence of "improper use of headlights" which it appears there isn't.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:11 pm

tim_noone wrote:Say they have a gun? :shock:
Tell them they can ride shotgun. :lol:

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Dazzler wrote:Driving up Padiham road this morning I was flashing each & every driver heading towards padiham of the cash cow van.I don't give a **** if I get fined,
I'll plead guilty of doing my bit for the beleaguered motorist.
Heading towards padiham this morning near the George the 4th doing a steady 70 mph some absolute ar$e wipe nearly forced me to mount the kerb flashing his main beam at all and sundry....what is it with some drivers? I was tempted to toot my horn but like to think I'm a little more considerate!
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:51 am

These mobile speed cameras are a nuisance, you have one eye on the road and the other trying to spot the vans, it does not make for safe driving and with all the traffic its just dangerous.
Off to Spain next Tuesday for 4 weeks, no traffic on the roads, no speed cameras bliss. Bringing my car back to the UK for a Mot the poor sod will wonder what has it, it when it comes down the Ferry ramp at Pompey

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:54 am

Dark Cloud wrote:I'm pretty sure it's not an offence to warn other drivers about camera vans. How could the police prove exactly why you were signalling to another driver? It could just be somebody you know! (M'Lord!)
It actually is. There have been cases in the papers of people getting fined for it I recall. The main defence is, as you say, 'M'lud, it was a mate'.

uni_queue
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by uni_queue » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:32 am

Historically the "offence" charged was "obstructing a Police Officer in the execution of his duty".
This has been the case since speed checking became part of the road traffic law emforcement
Historically AA patrols used to salute AA members who passed them at the Roadside. If the patrol didmt salute, there was a police speed trap in the area..... presumably operated by stop watch and a piece of string :-) !! Presumably a more subtle variant of the headlight flashing.

I rather suspect that this offence doesnt happen with a Camera van because they are operated by civilian staff, so no obstruction of a Police Officer.
Hence the "misuse of headlights" charge that was suggested recently

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:50 am

BUMP

The cash cow is in the exact same place again today, be careful folks.

Let's hope they re-invest any cash made into protecting the local school kids in the area.

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:01 am

What about smoking, vaping, applying make-up, eating a snack?????

mealdeal
Been Liked: 81 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by mealdeal » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:05 am

I don't buy into this excuse that you have to drive with one eye on the speedo and one eye on the road at all. If you've been driving for any length of time, you have a fairly accurate perception of your own speed without even looking at the dial.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:09 am

ClaretDiver wrote:What about smoking, vaping, applying make-up, eating a snack?????

Yeah... :roll:

See what has the world come to thread.

Very quick, regular and eager to invest time and resources to set up stings to catch drivers, not so quick to invest time and resources into protecting school kids

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:09 am

lesxdp wrote::D
Now that is a real possibility. A hitch hiker refusing to wear a seatbelt and has a gun.
Anyone remember "The Hitcher" Rutger Hauer terrorising C Thomas Howell (the remake with Sean Bean was sh..) that stopped me from picking up Hitchhikers for a while after lol....

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:12 am

tim_noone wrote:Heading towards padiham this morning near the George the 4th doing a steady 70 mph some absolute ar$e wipe nearly forced me to mount the kerb flashing his main beam at all and sundry....what is it with some drivers? I was tempted to toot my horn but like to think I'm a little more considerate!
Sorry Tim that was the Mrs ... she is always flashing her headlights at all and Sundry in the Padiham area :roll: :roll: :roll:

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6416 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:01 am

lesxdp wrote::D
I'd be driving at a speed I know I would survive with my seatbelt fastened straight into a solid object (brick wall) - lets see how effective their head is at stopping their body from impacting on the wall via the windscreen...

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6416 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:04 am

mealdeal wrote:I don't buy into this excuse that you have to drive with one eye on the speedo and one eye on the road at all. If you've been driving for any length of time, you have a fairly accurate perception of your own speed without even looking at the dial.
I disagree, the difference between 30 and 35 might well be fairly perceptual - however the difference between 70 and 78 is not so easy, especially when in a flow of traffic where the relative speeds are similar.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:38 pm

Serious question, are these cameras only able to catch speeding drivers in daylight? because I find where I live in the late evening you get all the idiots driving at ridiculous speeds that deserve to be caught.