** Speed camera alert **

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2637 times
Has Liked: 6467 times

Re: ** Speed camera alert **

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:46 pm

Dy1geo wrote:Serious question, are these cameras only able to catch speeding drivers in daylight? because I find where I live in the late evening you get all the idiots driving at ridiculous speeds that deserve to be caught.
that would mean overtime for the boys (and girls) in the van which would impact upon the revenue stream... (ahem)

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:48 pm

MACCA wrote:As title suggests, there's a speed camera on Padiham Road just past the spar heading towards Padiham. It will probably swap sides or position throughout the day, so be careful.

Its one of the new ones that checks speed, if you're wearing a belt, and if you're on your phone.

I know you shouldn't be doing any of those above, but just letting people know.

Here's a crazy idea, how about you just be careful all the time?

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:00 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Here's a crazy idea, how about you just be careful all the time?
That's okay in theory,but putting it into practise can be very hard for some people.. :D

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:59 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Here's a crazy idea, how about you just be careful all the time?
I am, just warning fellow road uses. Don't want any families suffering a £100 reduction in this week/months incomings.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:01 pm

I can remember the old trick of the measured mile, mainly on Padiham road in the 70s.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:10 pm

dsr wrote:How can it tell whether you're using a phone or you're scratching your ear?
That 7" diagonal slab in your hand will probably give you away.

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:12 pm

MACCA wrote:Not sure, presume it takes multiple photos, and they charge you after going through them at the end of the day.
Think it'll be a case of you prove you weren't, however pictures can be very conclusive with the right hi tech equipment in place.

There's also the option of phone records so they could align call times, although not sure they'd go to those let the for £100, but who knows.

Think there's a few experts/officers on here that may clear it up.
Costs more than it's worth to access phone records, they wouldn't bother.

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:19 pm

houseboy wrote:Of course we all agree that road safety is a good thing but I got to thinking a couple of weeks ago and, for those who say they are not 'traps' for extra taxation think on this:
Why are they often hidden just around corners when the fixed yellows have to have signs warning drivers they are there?
Why are they frenquently parked just as the speed limit reduces?
Why is it an offence for drivers going the other way to warn oncoming vehicles when in doing so they are actually helping road safety by slowing others down?
Just can't help wondering.
Because in all of those examples it's to stop people slowing down until just after they've passed the camera before speeding right back up again.

I doubt the revenue raised even comes close to making up for the cost to the NHS, police, fire brigade etc time used cleaning up after accidents caused by excessive speed or driving without paying attention.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Wheres everyone speeding to any way....

houseboy
Been Liked: 2242 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:00 pm

deanothedino wrote:Because in all of those examples it's to stop people slowing down until just after they've passed the camera before speeding right back up again.

I doubt the revenue raised even comes close to making up for the cost to the NHS, police, fire brigade etc time used cleaning up after accidents caused by excessive speed or driving without paying attention.
True, but do you not think, as you seem to actually suggest, that it is downright bad driving a lot of the time that causes many if not most accidents? I'm thinking of undertaking on motorways when the offender might not actually be speeding and those eternal idiots who simply refuse to blend in when they are warned for miles that a roadworks is coming up on an m/way, preferring to drive to the front of the queue thus causing either accidents or at best traffic jams. The list is extensive. And what of speed cameras, fixed or otherwise, on long straight stretches of open country road that have no apparent need.

I'm not promoting speeding as a good idea but just saying that much is blamed on speed when there are many other factors (including people driving too slowly on motorways, which is bloody lethal in my opinion).
This user liked this post: Bosscat

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:06 pm

houseboy wrote:True, but do you not think, as you seem to actually suggest, that it is downright bad driving a lot of the time that causes many if not most accidents? I'm thinking of undertaking on motorways when the offender might not actually be speeding and those eternal idiots who simply refuse to blend in when they are warned for miles that a roadworks is coming up on an m/way, preferring to drive to the front of the queue thus causing either accidents or at best traffic jams. The list is extensive. And what of speed cameras, fixed or otherwise, on long straight stretches of open country road that have no apparent need.

I'm not promoting speeding as a good idea but just saying that much is blamed on speed when there are many other factors (including people driving too slowly on motorways, which is bloody lethal in my opinion).
Well, it's not undertaking if you don't move lanes. The bad driving would be the person hogging the 2nd/3rd/4th lane. But I agree, they are a problem.

As for the roadworks... that's actually what you are supposed to do - it's called zipper merging and if done correctly it will keep traffic moving more efficiently than everyone moving over as soon as there's a sign. The reason it doesn't work is because of people in the other lanes refusing to let them in.

You've focussed on motorways though and in general, speeding is policed pretty leniently on motorways. The thread has been about cameras in built up areas where speeding is a massive issue. I used to think lowering speed limits left, right and centre was daft and hated the council for always doing it but as I've matured I now realise that actually 20mph in residential areas is sensible and the right speed limit.

Bad driving is the biggest problem but driving with excessive speed, or at a speed unsafe for the conditions is a part of that. I can't believe the number of times I've been overtaken on the M6 in torrential rain by someone doing 90mph+ and without even having lights on, so not only are they going far too fast, you can barely see them coming either.
Last edited by deanothedino on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: houseboy

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:11 pm

houseboy wrote:Of course we all agree that road safety is a good thing but I got to thinking a couple of weeks ago and, for those who say they are not 'traps' for extra taxation think on this:
Why are they often hidden just around corners when the fixed yellows have to have signs warning drivers they are there?
Why are they frenquently parked just as the speed limit reduces?
Why is it an offence for drivers going the other way to warn oncoming vehicles when in doing so they are actually helping road safety by slowing others down?
Just can't help wondering.
If something can be hidden around a corner in the road then you really need to be driving fairly slowly around that corner in case the something runs out in front of you.
If the speed limit reduces then that is generally an indication of increased hazards and it is worth while reducing your speed.
I agree with your last point - although I think it can be argued that there is a need to catch some people speeding simply to demonstrate that you can't rely on slowing down at the fixed cameras.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4265 times

Post by Greenmile » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:17 pm

Parasites!

(don’t ask me who. I’ve no idea.)

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8539 times
Has Liked: 18288 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:30 pm

deanothedino wrote:Well, it's not undertaking if you don't move lanes. The bad driving would be the person hogging the 2nd/3rd/4th lane. But I agree, they are a problem.

As for the roadworks... that's actually what you are supposed to do - it's called zipper merging and if done correctly it will keep traffic moving more efficiently than everyone moving over as soon as there's a sign. The reason it doesn't work is because of people in the other lanes refusing to let them in.

You've focussed on motorways though and in general, speeding is policed pretty leniently on motorways. The thread has been about cameras in built up areas where speeding is a massive issue. I used to think lowering speed limits left, right and centre was daft and hated the council for always doing it but as I've matured I now realise that actually 20mph in residential areas is sensible and the right speed limit.

Bad driving is the biggest problem but driving with excessive speed, or at a speed unsafe for the conditions is a part of that. I can't believe the number of times I've been overtaken on the M6 in torrential rain by someone doing 90mph+ and without even having lights on, so not only are they going far too fast, you can barely see them coming either.
"
As for the roadworks... that's actually what you are supposed to do - it's called zipper merging and if done correctly it will keep traffic moving more efficiently than everyone moving over as soon as there's a sign"

Zipper Merging I can agree with when used correctly but however.... the practise I think house is refering to are the A-holes who plough on at high speed regardless until the last minute then force their way into the traffic... another lot are the ones who cut people up on Roundabouts by using an empty outside lane that is clearly marked to go right (or left) when they intend going straight on ... then cutting in and forcing people to brake etc etc all because they need to save 30 seconds out of an average three score years and ten lifetime...

But hell who cannot agree about tge complete and utter udiocy of 90+mph idiots in fog and rain without lights BLOODY IMBECILES

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Bosscat wrote:"
As for the roadworks... that's actually what you are supposed to do - it's called zipper merging and if done correctly it will keep traffic moving more efficiently than everyone moving over as soon as there's a sign"

Zipper Merging I can agree with when used correctly but however.... the practise I think house is refering to are the A-holes who plough on at high speed regardless until the last minute then force their way into the traffic... another lot are the ones who cut people up on Roundabouts by using an empty outside lane that is clearly marked to go right (or left) when they intend going straight on ... then cutting in and forcing people to brake etc etc all because they need to save 30 seconds out of an average three score years and ten lifetime...
He didn't mention speed so I assumed he meant anyone not merging in straight away. Obviously people should be driving at an appropriate speed but there's nothing wrong with waiting to merge until the very end.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 2757 times

Post by Stayingup » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:50 pm

Pity it can't pick up on drugged drivers and rank bad dangerous driving. This one has three quite regular spots. Top of Crawhawbooth, Rossendale Rd and Padiham Rd.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:26 pm

Go on a speed awareness course, you really don't get anywhere much quicker by driving over the recommended speed limit.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:18 am

Bump

Same van in same place AGAIN today.

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:47 pm

It was on Padiham Road today then five minutes later I saw some tw*t in a bright orange Focus ST howling through Padiham centre at something like 50 mph. They are the ones that need catching, but always seem to get away with it. :?
This user liked this post: JohnMac

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:51 pm

NL Claret wrote:Go on a speed awareness course, you really don't get anywhere much quicker by driving over the recommended speed limit.
Yep. It's better to arrive 5 minutes later, than not at all.
This user liked this post: NL Claret

lovebeingaclaret
Been Liked: 120 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by lovebeingaclaret » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:31 pm

Hopefully they will concentrate next on the ever increasing numbers who think they have a right to drive through red lights
These 2 users liked this post: Goobs dsr

Goobs
Been Liked: 1467 times
Has Liked: 997 times

Post by Goobs » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:58 pm

tim_noone wrote:Wheres everyone speeding to any way....
Driving home for Christmas