Heaton interview

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Re: Heaton interview

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:06 pm

There was something not quite right with the signing of Hart. It didn't go along with how we operate when we had two other fit senior keepers on the books and Heaton's injury only being short term. I suspect that Dyche and his backroom staff aren't convinced that Heaton can fully recover from the dislocated shoulder and with Pope having the same injury (though not as bad) they didn't want to risk Heaton as our first choice keeper. I could be completely wrong, but I've seen nothing from Hart that shows him to be better at this stage of his career than Heaton was pre-injury. Despite what the berk back up the thread says, Dyche is known for his fantastic man-management, and he'd have known that decisions around Hart would not be well received by Heaton. I just can't believe that he signed Hart just for a short term benefit.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:40 pm

Not quite right with signing a recent title winner and other cups, 75 caps and a wealth of experience?

You'd rather we played the backup reserve 3rd choice GK instead whilst waiting to find out if Heaton would be how he was pre-injury ...

As for being better than Heaton, yeah he was brilliant for us, solid foundation for all we did prior to his injury, but Hart has done excellently for us, to the point many are surprised outside of Burnley that Southgate didn't recall him.

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:42 pm

Yes, just because Hart's experience doesn't mean he was a no brainer signing. It could be percieved as showing no faith in our keepers with the exception of Pope, considering Heaton over recent seasons was seen as more reliable than Hart. If we take more recent experience, we're talking about a keeper who'd had 2 awful years prior to joining us. There are comparisons too. Austin being sold and not replaced. Injury problems last season for Tarkowski around the turn of the year, but faith shown in Kevin Long with no other alternatives available. Defour injured in January and no player similar brought in. My point wasn't about whether Hart should be seen as a good signing, just that it wasn't how we usually operate and it wouldn't be hard to see why Heaton's a bit miffed.

Then there's the argument that Hart has done really well for us. I'm not convinced. There's been a few saves for the cameras that will get him good reviews on highlights programmes, but I think the difference between Hart and Pope is one of the main reasons for our struggles. Last season Pope took 57 high claims, the most in the league. Hart took 4. Heaton interestingly had already taken 2 before he got injured. So far this season Hart has taken 1. We have defenders who are used to the keeper claiming the ball when we're under pressure and Hart is not doing that. Tom Heaton may not be on Pope's level for commanding his box, but he's still far better than Hart. Yes it's only one stat, but I've not seen any stat that's favourable in comparison to Pope last season or Heaton the one before that.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:59 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:One of us clearly hasn't got our brain in gear, but please point out the dig at Dyche...
You just have to read between the lines, and the letters.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:00 pm

Who's saying Heaton is miffed, apart from people on here?

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:12 pm

He did say in the article that he fully expected to start the new season at Southampton and was disappointed when he didn't. Not taking sides here by the way but I think I can empathize with someone who just over 12 months ago had everything in front of him to play for and now sees himself as no more than an extra with another contender about to emerge on the scene again. Very unusual circumstances where two injuries,but just the one to him have seemingly set back his career.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Dyche wants competition for the jersey but circumstances forced our hand with Hart.

Heaton was unlucky to pick up an injury just before the Aberdeen matches. If he'd been fit he would have played (and ironically Pope wouldn't be injured right now!). Unfortunately for him his latest set back coincided with one for Pope and another for Lindegaard.

We were up the creek without a paddle before the season started. Yes Heaton was fit again but we essentially had nobody else and would have been putting all our eggs in one basket had we not signed Hart.

I don't want Heaton to move on but he's now waiting for Hart to make a mistake. He's also got to contend with Nick Pope when he returns. We all knew we wouldn't be able to keep all three long term and it'll be tough to take if Heaton goes. He's been a terrific servant to this club and deserves a lot of plaudits for his performances and captaincy. However, football is a ruthless game and these things happen. I expect he'll move on in January.
These 3 users liked this post: Wo Didi ClaretPope burnleymik

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:07 am

It’s fair enough he HAS to go to get 1st team , is he 31 now?gutted to see him go, he’d be fantastic at Liverpool or Man Utd , superb replacement when de gea leaves let’s hope a prem manager has the foresight and balks to get a world class keeper at a relative bargain price

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:43 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:It’s fair enough he HAS to go to get 1st team , is he 31 now?gutted to see him go, he’d be fantastic at Liverpool or Man Utd , superb replacement when de gea leaves let’s hope a prem manager has the foresight and balks to get a world class keeper at a relative bargain price
Bargain price? How do you know what we will get?

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:20 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:get a world class keeper at a relative bargain price
'World Class' hmmm.......

AlargeClaret

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:21 pm

Re; price 31 yr old keepers ain’t exactly gonna be top end price wise , though any price we get will still be s bargain for a top club compared to what they pay for their usual keepers .

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:56 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Who's saying Heaton is miffed, apart from people on here?
Heaton

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Chorltonclaret is spot on with Pope claiming the high balls and defenders ecpecting him to claim them.
Tarky at Fulham and Mee against ManU bith didnt seem to jump for headers from which the opposition scored.
Can only assume they didnt jump because they want to get in tbe way of the keeper.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:12 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:It’s fair enough he HAS to go to get 1st team , is he 31 now?gutted to see him go, he’d be fantastic at Liverpool or Man Utd , superb replacement when de gea leaves let’s hope a prem manager has the foresight and balks to get a world class keeper at a relative bargain price
If Heaton leaves I can't see him doing any better than one of the bigger Championship clubs if he wants to be a 1st choice. He's become a bit of a forgotten man unfortunately.

Wo Didi
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 803 times

Post by Wo Didi » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:12 am

Hibsclaret wrote:Therein lies the problem. You think you understand but unfortunately your lack of intelligence tells everyone else otherwise...

The post was edited to stop anyone else getting the wrong end of the stick. Unlikely as it was for anyone else to not understand

You're making yourself look a bit of a berk, even after editing your posts, with shouty capitals you make no sense, you may have copied and pasted the meaning of a metaphor but the way you're using the word by calling, metaphorically Joe Hart a bad apple is wrong.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:17 am

Can you see Manchester United replacing the world’s best goalkeeper with Burnley’s second, maybe third choice goalkeeper? Ludicrous suggestion.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:43 am

Wo Didi wrote:You're making yourself look a bit of a berk, even after editing your posts, with shouty capitals you make no sense, you may have copied and pasted the meaning of a metaphor but the way you're using the word by calling, metaphorically Joe Hart a bad apple is wrong.
The end of the bell.

AlargeClaret

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:44 am

Rileybobs wrote: Can you see Manchester United replacing the world’s best goalkeeper with Burnley’s second, maybe third choice goalkeeper? Ludicrous suggestion.
It is indeed ludicrous,as the big clubs don't need to mind their budgets or look close to home or "bang for buck"value.The fact there's a fag paper between 100's of keepers in Europe alone,and IMO Heaton was pretty much as good as any technically. His hands are the best ive ever seen,better than Neurs and as good as Shiltons. If you watch any of his Eng training vids you'l see he has a fraction of an edge over the guys he was training with.His issue with the big clubs is that more and more theyre looking for ball players for their system and even though he's remarkably low on errors,he'd struggle a touch with that mode of play. Harts got better feet than Pope and Heats yet he was perceived as having "sh1t feet" simply because pep wanted his own man Bravo.
Keeper stock falls like a stone,i remeber the great brazillian Julio Cesar world cup winner struggling to get a game for QPr in the champ a few yrs back.

Top champ/newly promoted is likely his most realistic shout for a guaranteed start.

Wo Didi
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 803 times

Post by Wo Didi » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:49 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:The end of the bell.

Oh dear.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:01 am

I have not read any of this thread so this may already be known but..

Just heard Tom on R5 saying he's expecting to play on Saturday and it sounded that he will leave and is not happy not to be in the 1st team, which can't be a surprise to any of us now I would have thought'

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:15 am

Why would Heaton be playing on Saturday? Hart isn't on loan, unless there's some terms of his contact that he can't play.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:18 am

AlargeClaret wrote:His hands are the best ive ever seen,better than Neurs and as good as Shiltons. If you watch any of his Eng training vids you'l see he has a fraction of an edge over the guys he was training with.
Wow !
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but to say Heaton had better hands than Shilton and Neur is a bit daft and you would be in a minority of one with that view.
I’ve also seen the FA training videos of the camps when Tom, Hart and Butland were the keepers. All 3 were brilliant and unbelievably agile - it was an eye opener seeing how good they were. The best for me was Butland in those training clips. Replicating that on match day is a lot different though as the league is full of great shot stoppers - infact i’d go as far as saying every keeper in that league is a brilliant shot stopper. However, they are judged on mistakes - something you are not going to see or think twice about in a FA training video.

Look at Butland in the last year - plenty of mistakes and people now saying he is a crap keeper. Without that injury he was definitely going to be England no 1 - and in front of Heaton.

Injuries, loss of confidence, being dropped etc is massive for keepers - bigger impact than any other position.

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:23 am

South West Claret. wrote:I have not read any of this thread so this may already be known but..

Just heard Tom on R5 saying he's expecting to play on Saturday and it sounded that he will leave and is not happy not to be in the 1st team, which can't be a surprise to any of us now I would have thought'
Dont think hart will be dropped

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:24 am

jrgbfc wrote:Why would Heaton be playing on Saturday? Hart isn't on loan, unless there's some terms of his contact that he can't play.
You better ask him or have a "listen again" on the BBC website I expect there is a facility on there somewhere.

AlargeClaret

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:51 am

TVC15 wrote:Wow !
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but to say Heaton had better hands than Shilton and Neur is a bit daft and you would be in a minority of one with that view.
I’ve also seen the FA training videos of the camps when Tom, Hart and Butland were the keepers. All 3 were brilliant and unbelievably agile - it was an eye opener seeing how good they were. The best for me was Butland in those training clips. Replicating that on match day is a lot different though as the league is full of great shot stoppers - infact i’d go as far as saying every keeper in that league is a brilliant shot stopper. However, they are judged on mistakes - something you are not going to see or think twice about in a FA training video.

Look at Butland in the last year - plenty of mistakes and people now saying he is a crap keeper. Without that injury he was definitely going to be England no 1 - and in front of Heaton.

Injuries, loss of confidence, being dropped etc is massive for keepers - bigger impact than any other position.
That’s a very fair point and very true about the confidence issue and the Butkand injury. My view on Heaton was just pointing out the “ hands “ issue and his technical ability to take balls “ clean “ when many top end keepers would parry . Neur ( though a truly remarkable keeper ) doesn’t base his game per se on ultra clean handling. If Heaton hadn’t been injured he’d have been the keeper most likely imo to fill the void left by Harts dropping partly due to our suberb early 17/18 form.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:56 am

Does he just mean in his preparation?

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:33 pm

If Heats does move on in January, I'll have to put his star jump save at old Trafford to the top of the list of his most memorable saves.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6419 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:50 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06p4c9y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scan to about 31 minutes through for the talk from Tom...
South West Claret. wrote:I have not read any of this thread so this may already be known but..

He actually says "I'm looking to get in the team for Saturday" it was a snippet from the football daily podcast (link above) when they were asking about what happens in January. Its a good listen and he comes across well.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:56 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... rnley.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:11 am

I think the biggest problem for Tom Heaton is that you can't improve your form on the training ground.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6419 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:38 am

boatshed bill wrote:I think the biggest problem for Tom Heaton is that you can't improve your form on the training ground.
nail on head there, it is going to take an injury to Hart for Heaton to get back in favour.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:20 am

from BBC Sport: Sean Dyche speaking of our 3 England keepers:

"Since a summer move, he (Joe Hart) has rediscovered his form at Turf Moor, where he is an ever-present in the Premier League, even though he was only signed in the first instance due to the injuries suffered by England duo Nick Pope and Tom Heaton.

Dyche added: "I was pretty sure he was still a top-class keeper. There can be different reasons why you play well at some places and not others. Sometimes you just fit naturally. You can sense it.

"For keepers, sometimes what is in front of you helps. He wants a defensive unit he has faith with. I think there is a nice connection here. Possibly at other clubs he didn't find that connection.

"But a lot of credit goes to him for finding his way again."

Although he is still some way from full fitness after dislocating his shoulder during a Europa League qualifier against Aberdeen in July, Dyche said Pope is "on the grass again" after stepping up his comeback.

It places even more weight behind Heaton's public admission he may need to look elsewhere after recovering from his own injury troubles to find himself playing second choice to Hart.

Dyche said: "I thought Tom spoke very well. He knows he has a future here. It is how he feels about that. Whatever needs to be worked out, will be worked out."

The manager also confirmed Burnley are considering bringing in a sporting or technical director but no appointment is imminent."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45907207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:35 am

We've got 3 top keepers - and I think we all recognised that when Tom got fit again - and proved he was fully fit - it would be hard to satisfy both Tom and Nick - and that was before Burnley signed Joe Hart.

I don't think we would have signed Hart but for a bargain transfer fee - and City picking up half his pay for this season.

But, it's great business to have two top keepers - and a spare, whichever one of the three is classed the spare.

Maybe the one that goes is decided on (a) transfer value and (b) wages. If it's done like that then Joe Hart will be the one who is moving on - assuming he commands a higher transfer fee than both Tom or Nick - and 75 caps says he should (though "tastes" in keepers is changing). And, for Joe Hart to stay he needs to be prepared to take a big, nay, very big wage cut when City stop contributing.

On the other hand, Tom is saying, quite rightly, that he should be playing - and maybe there will be a great offer for him in Jan..

It's a great problem to have - and the opposite of "we can't sign a 20 goal a season striker...."

UTC

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:39 am

looks like Villa fans would welcome Tom

https://www.footballfancast.com/champio ... tom-heaton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;