We don't need a drum

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

We don't need a drum

Post by NL Claret » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:15 am

Just noticed on Twitter "the cricket field end" trying to do something about the atmosphere at the Turf.

A drum?

The last thing we need IMO.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

Rouwens_Weapon
Been Liked: 101 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Re: We don't need a drum

Post by Rouwens_Weapon » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:28 am

New, original songs which everyone can get behind are required.

A trumpet would be better than a drum. A bloke in Athens did a good job.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:39 am

Rouwens_Weapon wrote:New, original songs which everyone can get behind are required.

A trumpet would be better than a drum. A bloke in Athens did a good job.
That guy who just so happens to work for the club?

The pace of the songs is the problem, so people tend to give up with the constant battle with the speed singers.

Somethings needed to dictate the pace, what that is who knows.
The dross on offer does nothing to help, but it's a 2 way street.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 508 times

Post by Claretforever » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:50 am

I’ve always been dead against drums at football, but if you noticed the pace with which the Huddersfield fans sang at a Turf Moor they were singing to the beat of a non-existent drum. Why? They have one at home which has got their fans singing their many songs to a rhythm, and now it’s learned at what speed they sing.

We need something, because our young fans sing like they’re on amphetamines. Nobody has time to join in before the songs are finished. We have lost the art of singing at Burnley, and any new songs are usually shouted down by naysayers.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:22 am

Claretforever wrote:I’ve always been dead against drums at football, but if you noticed the pace with which the Huddersfield fans sang at a Turf Moor they were singing to the beat of a non-existent drum. Why? They have one at home which has got their fans singing their many songs to a rhythm, and now it’s learned at what speed they sing.

We need something, because our young fans sing like they’re on amphetamines. Nobody has time to join in before the songs are finished. We have lost the art of singing at Burnley, and any new songs are usually shouted down by naysayers.
They sing like that cause most of them are coked up before the game.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1865 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:40 am

Claretforever wrote:I’ve always been dead against drums at football, but if you noticed the pace with which the Huddersfield fans sang at a Turf Moor they were singing to the beat of a non-existent drum. Why? They have one at home which has got their fans singing their many songs to a rhythm, and now it’s learned at what speed they sing.

New songs are usually shouted down by naysayers because they are usually **** and ripped off from other clubs songs.

Yes I know most are but we seem to change the words to words that don’t actually fit/make sense.

The “Yaya/Kolo” chant that we changed to “Vokesy/Ingsy” then “Vokesy/Andre” and now “Vokesy/Vydra” is scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

And no I can’t do any better, before anybody asks

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6847 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:43 am

Let's go the whole hog and get a string quartet and piano. Classical Clarets.

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:12 am

Join a choir if you want to sing. I don't understand why people can't just go and watch a game without the need to sing or shout.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Goobs
Been Liked: 1463 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:21 am

claret2018 wrote:Join a choir if you want to sing. I don't understand why people can't just go and watch a game without the need to sing or shout.
I agree football would be so much more exciting and enthralling if we all sat in silence and just clapped when a goal was scored (or is that too much also?)

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:25 am

Goobs wrote:I agree football would be so much more exciting and enthralling if we all sat in silence and just clapped when a goal was scored (or is that too much also?)
True singing and a good atmosphere is part of football but some people on here are like obsessed teenagers about it. When people start getting upset that someone sings Lancashire homes instead of home or gets Till and Will mixed up when singing No Nay Never you know they have a problem
These 2 users liked this post: JohnMac Shappie

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:30 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:They sing like that cause most of them are coked up before the game.
Correct. 90% of the stand is

Still create the best atmosphere in the ground tho..

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:40 am

theroyaldyche wrote:Correct. 90% of the stand is

Still create the best atmosphere in the ground tho..
I think you underestimate how many kids with parents go in that stand.

The simple thing is 90% of fans don't want to sing at football in general. 50% sing when a goal has been scored or winning an important game.

Speed singers have been around for as long as I can remember (late 80s).
There’s a rendition of Jimmy Mullen’s Claret and Blue Army at Wembley on YouTube that is as fast as anything on the Turf these days.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:48 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:I think you underestimate how many kids with parents go in that stand.

The simple thing is 90% of fans don't want to sing at football in general. 50% sing when a goal has been scored or winning an important game.

Speed singers have been around for as long as I can remember (late 80s).
There’s a rendition of Jimmy Mullen’s Claret and Blue Army at Wembley on YouTube that is as fast as anything on the Turf these days.
I go in that stand and im right in what im saying. The majority are teenagers or young lads mixed with quite a lot of the older generation

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:05 am

How to tell if your support is crap -

Do you have a drummer

Yes = crap
No. = not crap

Also we rarely use to sides whose supporters have drummers
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

SalisburyClaret

Post by SalisburyClaret » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:07 am

Or even lose to sides whose supporters have drummers

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:08 am

:lol: There isn't a chance in hell that 90% of anywhere is populated by people 'coked up' let alone the CFS in Burnley.

There is exgagerating and there is speculating and neither are anywhere near realistic. 90% :roll:

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:26 am

SalisburyClaret wrote:Or even lose to sides whose supporters have drummers
They do say "if you can't get a woman get a drum"

Funny as hell at Huddersfield (Championship winning season) when the Drummer joined in (with that chant) beating along to the song.....

He got a huge cheer and stood up and took a bow... comedy gold
This user liked this post: SalisburyClaret

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:28 am

SalisburyClaret wrote:How to tell if your support is crap -

Do you have a drummer

Yes = crap
No. = not crap

Also we rarely use to sides whose supporters have drummers
The atmosphere at Huddersfield, Leicester, Palace, Brighton and every other ground with a drum is where they get behind their team for 90 minutes win or lose.

Those that don't always seem to have another gimmick or proper club anthem where young and old alike regardless of gender sing along.

Ever wonder why Turf Moor is rarely selected for Sky/BT?
A couple of tuneless renditions of 'We hate Bastards' does little to enhance the overall perception of Burnley.

It's not just about the football, selling the the Premier League product includes banging drums, waving flags, tapping sticks together. Something most other clubs and supporters have grasped and embraced.

Even the novelty of the Cricketfield stand has worn off and very little is being generated there in most games unless we are winning.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:55 am

JohnMac wrote: Even the novelty of the Cricketfield stand has worn off and very little is being generated there in most games unless we are winning.
The football on offer and Dyche's management style have numbed the place down.

The only atmosphere seen so far this season have been in the Europa league where he did his best to get us knocked out.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:The football on offer and Dyche's management style have numbed the place down.

The only atmosphere seen so far this season have been in the Europa league where he did his best to get us knocked out.
The atmosphere at TM hasn't been great since it went all seater however a UTC poster can blame Dyche for that.

How many chances did we create against the Greek team? This would suggest all the last statement is rubbish.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:54 pm

I find it amazing that blokes can sing walking to the match...in the pub... On the game,but put them in a church wedding or funeral and nearly all to a man shuffle their feet and mumble.Fact!

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:03 pm

This song seems very appropriate " if you cant bang a woman bang a drum!"

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:22 pm

I am in the camp that atmosphere is generally created by what is actually happening on the pitch. We are well shut of Coyle obviously but during 2008/9 with crowds of 11000 / 12000 but with football played on the front foot the atmosphere was probably the best it as been since we went all seated at Turf Moor. I think the atmosphere at the moment generally reflects what is on offer.

Hopefully we can get Defour and Brady back firing create a bit more and I think the atmosphere will lift a bit.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:25 pm

NL Claret wrote:The atmosphere at TM hasn't been great since it went all seater however a UTC poster can blame Dyche for that.

How many chances did we create against the Greek team? This would suggest all the last statement is rubbish.
There's been plenty of good atmosphere's on the Turf since all seater.

Not playing your full strength team in cup competitions normally leads to an exit.

Shappie
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by Shappie » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:43 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:True singing and a good atmosphere is part of football but some people on here are like obsessed teenagers about it. When people start getting upset that someone sings Lancashire homes instead of home or gets Till and Will mixed up when singing No Nay Never you know they have a problem

Bertie Bee said to Bill shankley .......
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate

SalisburyClaret

Post by SalisburyClaret » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:44 pm

RocketLawnChair wrote:I am in the camp that atmosphere is generally created by what is actually happening on the pitch. We are well shut of Coyle obviously but during 2008/9 with crowds of 11000 / 12000 but with football played on the front foot the atmosphere was probably the best it as been since we went all seated at Turf Moor. I think the atmosphere at the moment generally reflects what is on offer.

Hopefully we can get Defour and Brady back firing create a bit more and I think the atmosphere will lift a bit.

Absolutely right the atmosphere was great then - everyone was behind Coyle and importantly he had a very simple chant- part time singers won't join in with songs hey don't know the words to.

Keep it simple, keep it loud and ban clappers drums and other stuff

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:15 pm

Maybe, just maybe, let some chuffin atmosphere build up before the game by not blaring out some crap music at volume one million before the game and during half-time. Before some games I can barely hear the bloke next to me. And it seems that the bigger the crowd (i.e. more chance of atmosphere) the more they crank it up to prevent anything like a chant breaking out.

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:40 pm

NL Claret wrote:Just noticed on Twitter "the cricket field end" trying to do something about the atmosphere at the Turf.

A drum?

The last thing we need IMO.
honestly i think we desperately need a drum, the difference in vocal levels when people bang the back of the CFS compared to when they don't is massive. Drums are great at football games if used by someone who knows how to do it

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:57 pm

ClaretMoffitt wrote:honestly i think we desperately need a drum, the difference in vocal levels when people bang the back of the CFS compared to when they don't is massive. Drums are great at football games if used by someone who knows how to do it
To keep up with our speed singers we’d need Animal out of the muppets on the skins.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:17 pm

A drum! Ffs we’ll be having them clappers next , The CFS is a bit poor tbh , a tiny section that sounds loud when you’re in it and barely carries round the ground . It ain’t the lads themselves ( far from it)it’s because it’s sucked most of the JH singers out so it’s totally isolated ,

wickdkewlclaret
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by wickdkewlclaret » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:27 pm

I also agree the big factor is what is happening on the pitch. Even the most enthusiastic supporters would struggle against the playing style in games like Huddersfield.

Attacking football gets the crowd excited (louder) which leads to an effort on goal, which then leads to a song, because we our showing our pride and appreciation.

Simple equation really.

pureclaret
Been Liked: 433 times
Has Liked: 176 times

Post by pureclaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:51 am

give us a B, B give us U ,U give us a R ,R give us a N,N give us a L ,L give us a E,E give us a Y , Y what have you got BURNLEY woooo

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12479 times

Post by Leisure » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:43 am

Foulthrow wrote:Maybe, just maybe, let some chuffin atmosphere build up before the game by not blaring out some crap music at volume one million before the game and during half-time. Before some games I can barely hear the bloke next to me. And it seems that the bigger the crowd (i.e. more chance of atmosphere) the more they crank it up to prevent anything like a chant breaking out.
Agree 100% with this. Don't know if it's a Police, PL or club directive but certainly doesn't do anything to help create an atmosphere!
These 2 users liked this post: Foulthrow MT03ALG

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 508 times

Post by Claretforever » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:21 pm

ClaretMoffitt wrote:honestly i think we desperately need a drum, the difference in vocal levels when people bang the back of the CFS compared to when they don't is massive. Drums are great at football games if used by someone who knows how to do it
2-3 years ago I’d have thought you were mad. Now though I think you’re right. I loud banging noise from someone who can keep a rhythm will force singers to sing in time to the boom, it will slow the songs down, make them last longer and will be infectious.

I’d try anything for a season just to see if it improves things.

International class
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by International class » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:50 pm

Ermmmm.........wasn’t it Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankly ?

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1865 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:52 pm

International class wrote:Ermmmm.........wasn’t it Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankly ?
I think you need to reread the post he quoted :D

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Facebook Drum Debate

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:01 pm

A few Facebook pages debating this at the moment, I was keen to see what people on here thought.

Would you be for or against a drum being used at Turf Moor, to improve atmosphere?

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Re: Facebook Drum Debate

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:02 pm

I'd be heavily in the against category, to the point that I would consider boycotting.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2594 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:10 pm

totally against such tin-pottery.

ClaretAndBlue94
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by ClaretAndBlue94 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:10 pm

I would be against this, but we certainly need something. It has majorly improved the atmosphere at Huddersfield for example.

Then again, this is Burnley. They sold promotion flags on the proviso that you weren't allowed the flag stick in the ground for health and safety reasons.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:13 pm

Guess it would be located in cricketfield and I’ve not heard much evidence that anyone could control steady beat in there.

First request would be “if you can’t bang a woman, bang a....”

Not spoken to anyone in favour of this.

SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by SalouClaret » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:13 pm

The debate has already been had a couple of years ago. The club did a vote and pretty much everyone said no.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:18 pm

How annoying is it when your in these grounds that have them to create an atmosphere the sound of that banging drum in your head is enough to jack it all in

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:21 pm

I’m only for it if we all get clapper sticks as well.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:24 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:I’m only for it if we all get clapper sticks as well.
And bring back Tom Hark

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:29 pm

I'm going to vote yes for it as long as it's in the middle of the Bob Lord stand.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:35 pm

A metronome maybe, not a drum.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Falcon » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:36 pm

If it controls the speed of the songs then it would solve the speed singers debate

Goobs
Been Liked: 1463 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:19 pm

I'm not opposed to it as it MAY help to improve the atmosphere if it controls the beat of the singing, however I expect that the speed singers would just ignore it and so their own thing anyway at which point it just becomes a massive annoyance and sounds crap. Just like when England play and the fans race through the anthem so they are massively out of time with the singer / music which really aggravates me.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:23 pm

Anybody taking a drum to a football match deserves being battered with the sticks and when unconscious, having them inserted up their corn hole.