Our away attendances this season

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Re: Our away attendances this season

Post by aggi » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:28 am

Leisure wrote:Following the panic that some people had when the club announced that they'd only taken 1200 tickets for West Ham, I've just had a look at our followings for our first 4 away PL games this season -

Southampton 1242
Fulham 1509
Wolves 1245
Cardiff 719

Will be interesting to see if we sell out for Man City and what allocation we take for Leicester. Maybe the novelty of the PL is wearing off for some of our fans!
Where did these come from? Not many sites seem to show away attendances.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3772 times
Has Liked: 12363 times

Post by Leisure » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:34 am

Cleveleys_claret wrote:I am not paid for that to be my job. There are several at the club though who are
So what you're saying really is that you haven't a clue whether or not we tried to sign any flair players! But you still want to have a dig at the club!

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:46 am

claretcarrot93 wrote:I reckon so. The novelty of watching the big teams is wearing off plus your team defending and seeing none of the ball away from home probably adds to that.

Sad thing is we had something new and exciting in the Europa league which we decided to throw away to concentrate on the mundane prem which we have now seen before. Shame really.
I really do wish we had put more eggs in the Europa basket. But I fear I've said enough on that issue. Dyche treated it with contempt and what now? Same old, same old. I hope we do well this season and I would hate to see us in a relegation battle but I don't really care too much if we are in the PL or not. Football is supposed to be entertainment and I'm beginning to think I'd sooner be entertained in the Championship than bored into a coma by some of the stuff that is currently being dished out. I am a lifelong Claret and it is 50 years ago this year since I first set foot on the Turf but I now also watch Stanley occasionally as I only live less than 10 minutes from the ground in the car, and I have to say that, at the moment, I am more entertained there than at Burnley, and it's not just because they are winning but because the football is excellent.

I never thought I would say this but, despite all the years in the wilderness, I have always consider my club as a top flight club because that's how I remember the earlier days of watching them, but I have come to the conclusion that, unless the financial side of football changes dramatically, our destiny does not lie in the PL. If we have to sacrifice football just to stay in it and make money I am not sure I see the point of it all. If we had a manager who actually took cup competitions seriously to give us the chance of winning something I could accept that but the obsession with 'PL survival at all costs' is beginning to bore me.

Maybe Defour and Brady will enthuse me more but just now its all pretty dire.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:07 am

houseboy wrote:I have come to the conclusion that, unless the financial side of football changes dramatically, our destiny does not lie in the PL. If we have to sacrifice football just to stay in it and make money I am not sure I see the point of it all.
To be fair, there was no money in football in the 80s and we were absolutely garbage. There's loads now and yet we're in the top flight again. Doesn't seem to make sense but there it is.

Anyway, maybe you're overthinking it. I was getting grumpy too, decided not to go to City because it's an inevitable defeat against an oil nation's side, the whole 'family theme park' atmosphere around the place. But then, a day out in Manchester and watching Burnley is still better than shops or DIY and so I got a ticket. If you really don't like us being in the Prem, don't worry too much, I can assure you it won't be lasting forever.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:12 am

houseboy wrote:I really do wish we had put more eggs in the Europa basket. But I fear I've said enough on that issue. Dyche treated it with contempt and what now? Same old, same old. I hope we do well this season and I would hate to see us in a relegation battle but I don't really care too much if we are in the PL or not. Football is supposed to be entertainment and I'm beginning to think I'd sooner be entertained in the Championship than bored into a coma by some of the stuff that is currently being dished out. I am a lifelong Claret and it is 50 years ago this year since I first set foot on the Turf but I now also watch Stanley occasionally as I only live less than 10 minutes from the ground in the car, and I have to say that, at the moment, I am more entertained there than at Burnley, and it's not just because they are winning but because the football is excellent.

I never thought I would say this but, despite all the years in the wilderness, I have always consider my club as a top flight club because that's how I remember the earlier days of watching them, but I have come to the conclusion that, unless the financial side of football changes dramatically, our destiny does not lie in the PL. If we have to sacrifice football just to stay in it and make money I am not sure I see the point of it all. If we had a manager who actually took cup competitions seriously to give us the chance of winning something I could accept that but the obsession with 'PL survival at all costs' is beginning to bore me.

Maybe Defour and Brady will enthuse me more but just now its all pretty dire.
The flowers will bloom eventually... But money's ruining the game in lots of ways I'm sure..and we always knew that.go with the flow!
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:57 am

NottsClaret wrote:To be fair, there was no money in football in the 80s and we were absolutely garbage. There's loads now and yet we're in the top flight again. Doesn't seem to make sense but there it is.

Anyway, maybe you're overthinking it. I was getting grumpy too, decided not to go to City because it's an inevitable defeat against an oil nation's side, the whole 'family theme park' atmosphere around the place. But then, a day out in Manchester and watching Burnley is still better than shops or DIY and so I got a ticket. If you really don't like us being in the Prem, don't worry too much, I can assure you it won't be lasting forever.
Don't get me wrong, I like us being there, it's just 'staying' there that is the problem. We are sacrificing cups, including Europe, just to continue watching something that no-one is, at least at the moment, enjoying. I suppose for me (and maybe others, I don't know) we always knew there was a financial gap in football but being in the PL has made me realise just how massive that gap is, and it seems to be getting wider. Many people like the idea of 'the world's top players' coming to the Turf but that is of no consequence for me because if I wanted to watch them I'd go watch City. I'm a Burnley fan and I'd sooner we played good football with a chance of winning rather than playing 'frightened' football against these players all the time. Come to think of it recently we play the same even when we are faced with teams who we really should beat.

Perhaps the answer to football's ills in this country is a Euro Super league. Let the top clubs clear off and do their own thing with the big boys of Europe and let's get back to a genuinely competitive top flight. Thinking about it if that were already in place we'd have been Champions last season. Ha ha.
This user liked this post: Cleveleys_claret

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:08 am

tim_noone wrote:The flowers will bloom eventually... But money's ruining the game in lots of ways I'm sure..and we always knew that.go with the flow!
I know mate, I try to think that way but it is human nature to despair when you have gone as far as you can go and the only way is backwards (or, even worse, stagnation). In life as in football sometimes it's the hard times that bring more enjoyment because stagnation is an awful thing. I often used to wonder how, for instance, Celtic fans used to feel knowing that they would win the league every season but persistently fail in Europe and that their team had literally nowhere to go, the only thing that would bring change would be if they DIDN'T win the league. Imagine living with the idea that the only thing that could relieve the monotony would be failure. Anyway at least Hearts are trying to bring about change up there, let's hope they succeed, it wuld be the best thing to happen to Scottish football in decades, a bit like Leicester did here.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:32 am

Leisure wrote:So what you're saying really is that you haven't a clue whether or not we tried to sign any flair players! But you still want to have a dig at the club!
Putting words in my mouth. Grow up. We didnt try because for the fourth transfer window on the trot we targetted the same players before we had to panic buy. This is because we lack imagination and are far too risk averse. End of.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:44 am

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Putting words in my mouth. Grow up. We didnt try because for the fourth transfer window on the trot we targetted the same players before we had to panic buy. This is because we lack imagination and are far too risk averse. End of.
Lack imagination? Defour?

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:08 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:From where cos I bet its a damn site easier to get to Manchester than Burnley on a Saturday for all of the 18 other Premier League clubs fans
No trains from where I am due to strike

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:09 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:X43??
Not from where I live... Not everyone's from burnley

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Spijed wrote:Lack imagination? Defour?
Who was recommended by a member in this board. Not a paid member of staff whose job it is to know these things

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:26 pm

tim_noone wrote:Burnley always p!ss poor away. And I'm with DA Burnley would not be my idea of an Away day... There's nothing to see.
I used to travel to away games a lot. My day was:
Get on coach/train/bus/car.
Travel there.
Watch game.
Get in transport.
Go home.
I have never once in my life used a football match to go sight seeing so if most fans are like me they don't giove a flying f**k what the town is like. They're football fans, not bloody tourists.
As far as DA is concerned, give him a swerve on this one, he's just looking for a response, he must be bored.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:38 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Putting words in my mouth. Grow up. We didnt try because for the fourth transfer window on the trot we targetted the same players before we had to panic buy. This is because we lack imagination and are far too risk averse. End of.
There you go again! How do you know that we didn't try? Are you party to all the potential tranfer dealings of the club? No, of course you're not but you still want to snipe at the club!
This user liked this post: ten bellies

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:45 pm

Grumps wrote:No trains from where I am due to strike
Ok so just to clarify you think that in general for most fans of most Premier League teams it is easier to get to Burnley than it is to get to Manchester?

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:50 pm

Leisure wrote:Not sure how/why the thread has moved onto the attractiveness or otherwise of Burnley for away fans! Just to get it back on track, will our Cardiff following of 719 be the lowest away following for all PL clubs this season?
NO

Targetman
Been Liked: 502 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:59 pm

I would imagine that Fulham will have a few smaller away followings than that figure.

They used to have a flag which read.... "Yes this is all we take away".

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Targetman wrote:I would imagine that Fulham will have a few smaller away followings than that figure.

They used to have a flag which read.... "Yes this is all we take away".
Wouldn't be too sure about that. I think that their rise to the PL will help generate improved followings.
Last edited by Leisure on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:31 pm

Maybe this season but even in their pomp they travelled poorly away.

ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Post by ten bellies » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:38 pm

Leisure wrote:There you go again! How do you know that we didn't try? Are you party to all the potential tranfer dealings of the club? No, of course you're not but you still want to snipe at the club!
You forgot to finish your comment with 'end of' Leisure. The definitive conclusion of successful debating. :D
This user liked this post: Leisure

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Leisure wrote:There you go again! How do you know that we didn't try? Are you party to all the potential tranfer dealings of the club? No, of course you're not but you still want to snipe at the club!
Whether we tried or not is irrelevant we didn’t bring in what was needed ,failed miserably, who’s fault is that ?

joey13

Post by joey13 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:46 pm

Leisure wrote:Wouldn't be too sure about that. I think that their rise to the PL will help generate improved followings.
Fulham can’t even sell out a full end of there ground, that’s why they have a neutral area .

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:50 pm

joey13 wrote:Whether we tried or not is irrelevant we didn’t bring in what was needed ,failed miserably, who’s fault is that ?
And what/who was needed? And as for fault, maybe it was players who didn't want to come to Burnley!

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:52 pm

joey13 wrote:Fulham can’t even sell out a full end of there ground, that’s why they have a neutral area .
Think you'll find that they sell out 3 end/sides of their ground.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:14 pm

aggi wrote:Where did these come from? Not many sites seem to show away attendances.
They’re in the match day programme, Aggi. They’re also announced on Twitter during a game, or failing that are usually in the match reportnon the website.

EFL away followings are a lot easier to find for all clubs, but Premier League clubs are very hit and miss.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:23 pm

aggi wrote:Where did these come from? Not many sites seem to show away attendances.
They're from this website under Fixtures.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:03 pm

Cheers. I was wondering if there was a site I was missing that had away attendances for all clubs.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:26 pm

Leisure wrote:And what/who was needed? And as for fault, maybe it was players who didn't want to come to Burnley!
Defensive midfielder
Offensive midfielder
Left back
Winger
Have you not been watching games this season ?
It’s the job of the recruitment team (if we actually have one) to attract players.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:27 pm

Leisure wrote:Think you'll find that they sell out 3 end/sides of their ground.
We would more than sell out 3 ends/sides of Turf Moor if our fans didn’t go in the Cricket Field end

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:09 pm

joey13 wrote:Defensive midfielder
Offensive midfielder
Left back
Winger
Have you not been watching games this season ?
It’s the job of the recruitment team (if we actually have one) to attract players.
Haven't you missed out a right back, centre back and centre forward? :D
PS - probably seen more games than you! :)