The Bayhorse Inn Worsthorne

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

The Bayhorse Inn Worsthorne

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:59 am

Just seen this posted on Facebook, The worst aspect of the pub trade and happens to many landlords. If your out for a pint give them some support and help him get his business back up and running.

Hello everyone, it’s Steve here, I know there have been a lot of rumours that I am leaving the pub. I don’t normally get involved in rumours and gossip but I think that maybe on this occasion i should clarify what’s been going on.

When I first took the Bay it was owned by Punch Tavers, I had a tenancy in place, a fair price list for beer and a fair weekly rent. This meant that we could keep the pub upto great standards and serve food 7 days (even when it was quiet). Unfortunately Punch sold the pub and the lease to Star Bars, without notice they increased all of my prices and rent and back dated this increase from the start of my tenancy meaning I went from being £6000 in credit to £29000 in arrears.

This all happened around June and really hit the businesses cash flow, in truth we have been struggling ever since. We were struggling to afford stock and were struggling to pay the high rent. As a result of our short stock we became very quiet and this has caused us to struggle even more meaning we haven’t been able to hold events and put bands on.

If I would have had to pay legal fees on top to fight this unfair price increase I would have been finished and would have had to leave the pub months ago, luckily I was able to fight this matter myself and today have found out that I won!! WE ARENT GOING ANYWHERE!

In short myself and mainly the team have put a great deal of effort into this pub, we’ve all had great times and we’ve done some great events and it will be great to get back to that.

The bar is now fully stocked! Yes we’re still struggling with the cash flow as we are quiet but we are doing our best and want to bring the pub back to the great standards it was at during summer. As soon as we can afford we plan to re open the kitchen and start making some great food again. But before that can happen we need your support.

All we ask is that you call for a drink and show your support to a local team trying to make a local business work!

We hope to see you soon for a drink and we hope to see you at all of our events
These 2 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret evensteadiereddie

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Re: The Bayhorse Inn Worsthorne

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:19 am

Good luck!!

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:27 am

Understand his pain but its a naff pub

Others nearby much better.

Like the other poster said good luck

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:42 am

How is it legal to backdate a rent increase?
This user liked this post: Chip Harrison

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:50 am

Say no more about companies like "Punch Taverns" and "Enterprise Inns" they have no interest in the Pub or the custom... just the rents. They spend nowt on the fabric of the buildings (bare minimum).

I feel very sorry for this Landlord ... but Punch and Enterprise have bankrupted a lot of people trying their hand at being a Pub Landlord. With exhorbitant rents and tying them into high purchase costs for Beer, Wine and Spirits etc.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:55 am

star pubs bought the park view didn't they?

leedsdave
Been Liked: 116 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by leedsdave » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:55 am

ZizkovClaret wrote:How is it legal to backdate a rent increase?
That could well have something to do with Steve winning the battle.

leedsdave
Been Liked: 116 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by leedsdave » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:57 am

Bosscat wrote:Say no more about companies like "Punch Taverns" and "Enterprise Inns" they have no interest in the Pub or the custom... just the rents. They spend nowt on the fabric of the buildings (bare minimum).

I feel very sorry for this Landlord ... but Punch and Enterprise have bankrupted a lot of people trying their hand at being a Pub Landlord. With exhorbitant rents and tying them into high purchase costs for Beer, Wine and Spirits etc.
Read the article from Steve. It wasn't Punch who nearly closed his business due to high rent and inflicting higher prices, it was Star Bars who bought the pub off them.

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:00 pm

leedsdave wrote:Read the article from Steve. It wasn't Punch who nearly closed his business due to high rent and inflicting higher prices, it was Star Bars who bought the pub off them.
Did Punch give Steve the option of a buyout? If not i think they have their share of blame

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:01 pm

Should do wonders for Star Bars attracting a tenant to the Park View.

To put my cynical head on, maybe they want that pub to fail in some misguided idea that it would drive custom to the Park View? If so they evidently havent walked up that hill after a skinfull haha

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:02 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:Understand his pain but its a naff pub

Others nearby much better.

Like the other poster said good luck
Depends what you want from a pub, if he serves a decent pint of proper beer I'd say it's a good pub.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:47 pm

deanothedino wrote:Depends what you want from a pub, if he serves a decent pint of proper beer I'd say it's a good pub.
That's how you get repeat custom.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:03 pm

The Crooked Billet is a good role model for a sucessful pub...and guess what?....I believe it is not owned by a money grabbing outfit like Punch or Enterprise and apparently now Star
These 3 users liked this post: PhiladelphiaChris Bosscat AndrewJB

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:06 pm

leedsdave wrote:Read the article from Steve. It wasn't Punch who nearly closed his business due to high rent and inflicting higher prices, it was Star Bars who bought the pub off them.
I was actually commenting on Pub Companies such as Punch Taverns, Enterprise Inns etc (OK I didn't mention Star Bars)
They have almost destroyed one pub in my village and are wrecking the other (with no investment in the fabric of the buildings) the people who bought the Enterprise Inns pub have had to invest almost 1/2 a Mill £'s sorting out the problems with the building from top to bottom...

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:41 pm

I'm glad this problem has been sorted out at the Bay. I go in for a pint or two and not many pubs sell cheaper beer £2-20 a pint, with a decent selection of local brewers ales. It's been frustrating going in sometimes and enjoying a couple of pints, then it running out and not having something else on tap to drink. As mentioned, give Steve his support and try some good cheep beers. But Steve you need to live up to your comments.
This user liked this post: basil6345789

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:26 pm

You will never make a success of running a pub owned by one of the Pubcos on a long term basis. The more you increase your turnover, the more you pay in rent, the more they charge you for drinks and everything else. You are tied to buying your beer etc from the pubco at way above market rates and you are also forced to use their accountants and legal people for stocktakes, audits etc. They have you every which way you turn. I have read of so many people that have gone into a pub, massively increased the turnover and eventually leave having been priced out by the pubcos and lost a hell of a lot of money. I used to work with a guy who had 2 pubs in Dunstable and made a lot of money. They were then bought by a pub co and he was forced to leave due to the massive increase in rent and consumables.