Wembley Stadium NOT to be sold

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BigF
Been Liked: 178 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Wembley Stadium NOT to be sold

Post by BigF » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:08 pm

It seems that Wembley Stadium is not going to be sold. The Fulham owner Mr Khan has withdrawn his offer/bid. Personally, I am pleased that it stays out of a private owners portfolio
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Re: Wembley Stadium NOT to be sold

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:10 pm

BigF wrote:It seems that Wembley Stadium is not going to be sold. The Fulham owner Mr Khan has withdrawn his offer/bid. Personally, I am pleased that it stays out of a private owners portfolio
If the money could be used wisely it would have been better sold.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:14 pm

ClaretTony wrote:If the money could be used wisely it would have been better sold.
We are talking about the the FA here Tony! Not a chance of it being wisely spent
These 2 users liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin Rick_Muller

Rumpelstiltskin
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 2712 times

Post by Rumpelstiltskin » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:14 pm

Wouldn’t really trust the F A to do anything wisely !

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3844 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:15 pm

ClaretTony wrote:If the money could be used wisely it would have been better sold.
What would a wise investment be in your eyes?

Personally I can't see the benefit as in 5 years when the money has been spent we would have to rent Wembley for high fees. Look how selling the ground nearly crippled Burnley's finances.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:15 pm

bfcmik wrote:We are talking about the the FA here Tony! Not a chance of it being wisely spent
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Wouldn’t really trust the F A to do anything wisely !
I did start with the word IF :D
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3171 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:20 pm

I received an emailed survey on the thoughts of how the money would have been invested.

Putting it back into grassroots football was high on the agenda, both grass and 3G/4G.

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:40 pm

My problem was that it undervalued the property.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:50 pm

You sound like the government ;) :D
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:59 pm

The original stadium was built by supporters subscription yet the bandits that became Wembley stadium thought nothing of ripping off fans with exorbitant prices for tickets and refreshments.
The latest mad idea to sell off the national stadium was totally flawed.
It was bad enough letting Spuds use it but the have it privately owner and use for a variety of non football activities especially American Rugby is abhorrent.
Anything that stops misuse is a good things

the_fat_shearer
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by the_fat_shearer » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:55 pm

I think that for years the FA has struggled to prove that it has invested money wisely. Even the cost of some things they have done has been questionable - Millennium Stadium in Cardiff cost 121 million to build compared to 789 million of Wembley. I understand that costs can be higher in London and due to circumstance/requirements but over 6 times the cost?!?!?!!!

I have very little faith that the FA would have invested wisely and as others say, we would then have spent the money and be renting Wembley. I expect in years to come and further globalisation, the possibilities for making money from Wembley will only increase - NFL seems to certainly be making a home there and who knows what else might come?

I might be a dinosaur but I've never liked the semi-finals of the FA Cup being held at Wembley. I used to like it when a trip to Wembley was special - a final - but I understood that the £789m cost of the stadium needed to be recouped. I would hate to see those years of semis sacrificed go to waste by then just selling the stadium (though I am aware that not selling it won't see an end to that "new tradition")

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:29 pm

the_fat_shearer wrote:I think that for years the FA has struggled to prove that it has invested money wisely. Even the cost of some things they have done has been questionable - Millennium Stadium in Cardiff cost 121 million to build compared to 789 million of Wembley. I understand that costs can be higher in London and due to circumstance/requirements but over 6 times the cost?!?!?!!!

I have very little faith that the FA would have invested wisely and as others say, we would then have spent the money and be renting Wembley. I expect in years to come and further globalisation, the possibilities for making money from Wembley will only increase - NFL seems to certainly be making a home there and who knows what else might come?

I might be a dinosaur but I've never liked the semi-finals of the FA Cup being held at Wembley. I used to like it when a trip to Wembley was special - a final - but I understood that the £789m cost of the stadium needed to be recouped. I would hate to see those years of semis sacrificed go to waste by then just selling the stadium (though I am aware that not selling it won't see an end to that "new tradition")
Wembley was in danger of becoming a white elephant,hence the number of events being hosted there,the powers that be have to justify such a large outlay.

On the semi-final point i agree,at one time Wembley would be a once in a career experience for most players,now it's a run-of-the-mill game,even more so now Spurs play Premier League/European games there.

Even lower-league journeymen will likely play at least once at Wembley,some may play there several times if their club makes the play-offs regularly.

thelaughingclaret
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by thelaughingclaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:52 pm

I don’t think many people know or understand that the FA never owned the old Wembley.
Owning Wembley is a modern 21st century thing, and in my opinion I can’t see any improvement in anything England or Wembley related in the last 15-20 years. Maybe it’s because people love semi-finals being played at Wembley? I don’t know. But that has been the only change I’ve noticed since Wembley has been in fa ownership.
I think it would be better sold. Not owning Wembley didn’t stop england winning the World Cup in 1966 did it.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:13 pm

It's selling off the family silver if it had gone ahead. Shahid Khan is an AMERICAN PAKISTANI business man. He's saying 'IF YOU LOVE ENGLISH FOOTBALL YOU SHOULD WANT THIS DEAL.

Since when have American Pakistanis ever given a toss about English football? Even English Pakistanis for the most part, don't give a damn.

THE FACT THAT HE IS SAYING THAT, shows he's a fake.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1091 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:09 am

I have to agree with what Gary Neville said on this. We should keep the stadium, it’s ours. Also the suggestion he made about a small percentage of the tv money every year could fund grassroots for even longer than a lump sum of £600m, because when it’s gone, it’s gone.

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 714 times
Has Liked: 1998 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:11 pm

Pstotto wrote:It's selling off the family silver if it had gone ahead. Shahid Khan is an AMERICAN PAKISTANI business man. He's saying 'IF YOU LOVE ENGLISH FOOTBALL YOU SHOULD WANT THIS DEAL.

Since when have American Pakistanis ever given a toss about English football? Even English Pakistanis for the most part, don't give a damn.

THE FACT THAT HE IS SAYING THAT, shows he's a fake.
What have Pakistanis done to you? I know plenty that love football more than most, so you are talking tosh my friend.

Did him knowing nothing about the NFL matter when he bought the Jacksonville Jaguars too? Doesn't seem to have caused them too many problems. The same goes for Fulham.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:55 pm

RammyClaret61 wrote:I have to agree with what Gary Neville said on this. We should keep the stadium, it’s ours. Also the suggestion he made about a small percentage of the tv money every year could fund grassroots for even longer than a lump sum of £600m, because when it’s gone, it’s gone.
The TV money goes to the PL though doesn't it and not the FA? As long as PL teams continue to buy in from abroad, they won't give much of a **** about funding the FA's grassroots development.

Spike
Been Liked: 595 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:59 pm

why do Fulham always court controversial owners?

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:59 pm

I've been attacked and bullied by them for a start, Foshnik, at school some real vicious folk jealous of the white boy. Surely you don't believe that an American Pakistani is the lover of English football do you? Highly unlikely.

When did he get interested in football? What team did he support as a boy? How much soccer did he play at school? I think you'd find he can't answer any of those questions.

I've spoken to loads of taxi drivers in and around Burnley and they are only interested in cricket. I had a Pakistani neighbour in Burnley and his kids liked football and I've seen Pakistani football tournaments on the Prairie so I know there are some but I doubt very much Shahid Khan is about loving English football when he wants to buy Wembley. It's for status to say Pakistan owns English football, it's the equivalent of him trying to buy Buckingham Palace and to say the Pakistanis rule the UK. Not far off, any way.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:24 pm

thelaughingclaret wrote:I don’t think many people know or understand that the FA never owned the old Wembley.
Owning Wembley is a modern 21st century thing, and in my opinion I can’t see any improvement in anything England or Wembley related in the last 15-20 years. Maybe it’s because people love semi-finals being played at Wembley? I don’t know. But that has been the only change I’ve noticed since Wembley has been in fa ownership.
I think it would be better sold. Not owning Wembley didn’t stop england winning the World Cup in 1966 did it.
It didn't but a couple of dodgy refereeing decisions and a 'goal' that even 52 years later never crossed the line did their bit to help.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:23 pm

Pstotto wrote:I've been attacked and bullied by them for a start, Foshnik, at school some real vicious folk jealous of the white boy. Surely you don't believe that an American Pakistani is the lover of English football do you? Highly unlikely.

When did he get interested in football? What team did he support as a boy? How much soccer did he play at school? I think you'd find he can't answer any of those questions.

I've spoken to loads of taxi drivers in and around Burnley and they are only interested in cricket. I had a Pakistani neighbour in Burnley and his kids liked football and I've seen Pakistani football tournaments on the Prairie so I know there are some but I doubt very much Shahid Khan is about loving English football when he wants to buy Wembley. It's for status to say Pakistan owns English football, it's the equivalent of him trying to buy Buckingham Palace and to say the Pakistanis rule the UK. Not far off, any way.
So because he's Pakistani and his surname is Khan and you knew many Pakistani's who didn't like football, Shahid Khan can't possibly like football? talk about painting all Pakistani's with the same brush. For what it's worth, it would have been better sold, certainly not a proper football stadium, the national team would've been better travelling the country to real football stadiums like St James' Park, Stadium of Light, Anfield, Elland Rd etc

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:45 pm

With the vast sums of money sloshing around in the Premier League it is a damning indictment of the way the game is being run in this country that we cannot afford to fund grass roots football.

Too many snouts in the trough and football agents demanding high percentages of fees to sign a player.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:13 am

You effin arsehole KRBFC. If you can't see through the scam you're a pillock.