ARTICLE: No centre-forward signed but Burnley get young Irish player

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

ARTICLE: No centre-forward signed but Burnley get young Irish player

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:08 pm

Don't get excited, we haven't signed anyone, this is the first article in a new feature on the site and looks at the signing of a player a few years ago.

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/no-centre-f ... ish-player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Re: ARTICLE: No centre-forward signed but Burnley get young Irish player

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Any idea who the centre forward was,CT?

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:56 pm

To this day hasn't changed I think we have pushed the boat out to a 15 million pounds player and really that's our bracket so this statement still reads true today from back then.
Today if we thought we had the chance of the right type of player who would give the forwards the punch we know the attack requires, but it would be useless signing someone no better than the players already on our books.”
Probably in them days 5,000 would be like a good few million today but we found that kind of money back then and without the vast amounts that get bagged today in the top league.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:13 pm

Longside4evr wrote:To this day hasn't changed I think we have pushed the boat out to a 15 million pounds player and really that's our bracket so this statement still reads true today from back then.
Today if we thought we had the chance of the right type of player who would give the forwards the punch we know the attack requires, but it would be useless signing someone no better than the players already on our books.”
Probably in them days 5,000 would be like a good few million today but we found that kind of money back then and without the vast amounts that get bagged today in the top league.
£5000 in 1950 equivalent to approx £166,000 today.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:16 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Any idea who the centre forward was,CT?
I don’t I’m afraid. But what a good decision it was to go and watch him, without that we’d never have signed Jimmy Mac.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:34 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:£5000 in 1950 equivalent to approx £166,000 today.
I mean in today's market and valuation getting a player at nowadays prices
5,000 would be a good wedge in them times if only players would have stayed at the inflation that you mentioned pound for pound

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:36 pm

Longside4evr wrote:I mean in today's market and valuation getting a player at nowadays prices
5,000 would be a good wedge in them times if only players would have stayed at the inflation that you mentioned pound for pound
Remember,this was a young lad with limited experience in Irish football. It wasn’t a big signing at the time.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:41 pm

Longside4evr wrote:I mean in today's market and valuation getting a player at nowadays prices
Yep, take on board what you are saying but am always interested in PPP and couldn't resist looking it up. Makes interesting reading though, well for me it does but my wife's eyes just glazed over.

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1141 times
Has Liked: 1619 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Maybe he was one of these lads

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:35 pm

It might not have been a big signing but in them days in Burnley you could have bought 10 houses top of the range car sat back on the rent and never have had to work again
Not bad for a young un

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 348 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:09 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Don't get excited, we haven't signed anyone, this is the first article in a new feature on the site and looks at the signing of a player a few years ago.

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/no-centre-f ... ish-player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any chance these type of articles could have HISTORY or ARCHIVE or something similar in the title? I always get excited when I see something like this on NewsNow then click through to find it’s something that happened years ago

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4566 times

Post by MT03ALG » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:21 am

Ronnie Lewis came over with Jimmy Mac from Ireland. Not sure if Ronnie was a centre-forward but I am led to believe Burnley actually went to Ireland to watch Ronnie and spotted Jimmy at the same time. Ronnie did not make the grade at Burnley but played at a high amateur level and went on to manage Trawden Celtic F.C. Ironically Ronnie, who still lived in Trawden, died a few months beore Jimmy and at the same age as Jimmy.

California Colner
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by California Colner » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:29 am

MT03ALG wrote:Ronnie Lewis came over with Jimmy Mac from Ireland. Not sure if Ronnie was a centre-forward but I am led to believe Burnley actually went to Ireland to watch Ronnie and spotted Jimmy at the same time. Ronnie did not make the grade at Burnley but played at a high amateur level and went on to manage Trawden Celtic F.C. Ironically Ronnie, who still lived in Trawden, died a few months beore Jimmy and at the same age as Jimmy.
Your absolutely correct. Ronnie Lewis did come over with Jimmy, I palyed with Trawden when I was a school boy when Ronnie was there,they say that Ronnie was the better of the two but he like the beer to much.
Didn’t know he had died, but I haven’t been back in the UK for a while.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7190 times

Post by Quicknick » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:05 am

Interesting to know we put an offer in for Dennis Wilshaw. What a signing he would have been. If I'd known he turned us down, I'd have asked him why in 1979. He taught me at Crewe and Alsager College of Higher Education. A somewhat intimidating personality.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:55 am

MT03ALG wrote:Ronnie Lewis came over with Jimmy Mac from Ireland. Not sure if Ronnie was a centre-forward but I am led to believe Burnley actually went to Ireland to watch Ronnie and spotted Jimmy at the same time. Ronnie did not make the grade at Burnley but played at a high amateur level and went on to manage Trawden Celtic F.C. Ironically Ronnie, who still lived in Trawden, died a few months beore Jimmy and at the same age as Jimmy.
Ronnie Lewis & Jimmy Mac were in the same Irish youth team. Lewis was a centre-forward but he wasn't the player we'd gone to look at, he'd been at Burnley from the previous summer. He'd come to Burnley when Jimmy Mac went to Glentoran.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:56 am

Quicknick wrote:Interesting to know we put an offer in for Dennis Wilshaw. What a signing he would have been. If I'd known he turned us down, I'd have asked him why in 1979. He taught me at Crewe and Alsager College of Higher Education. A somewhat intimidating personality.
Obviously before my time, but I'd no idea that we'd tried to sign him until I went looking for the Jimmy Mac signing.