Smoking at Hospitals

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Re: Smoking at Hospitals

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:02 pm

it may well be disgusting, but it is a highly dangerous and addictive product that the government were useless in dealing with.
Once the majority smoked, it was advertised widely and the tax for the exchequer was phenomenal.
Small wonder people still smoke, but the pathetic nanny state has decided it is time to isolate the smokers and shut down their areas.
Shops are still brimming with packets of them though, but the jogging , actimel brigade wont accept diversity.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:25 pm

When visiting the Christie during my son’s cancer treatment there was usually at least one smoker outside the main entrance. On one visit, there was even a woman on a drip who was sat having a ciggy.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:51 pm

BennyD wrote:When visiting the Christie during my son’s cancer treatment there was usually at least one smoker outside the main entrance. On one visit, there was even a woman on a drip who was sat having a ciggy.
what? and you really don't know why.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:04 am

I just don’t understand the attraction of smoking. The chance of it killing you is above average. It’s adictive, it’s expensive, it makes you stink. Please don’t say you only do it socially. The fact most smokers can’t even last an hour at football without one. Also do smokers think no one will notice if they smoke in a toilet cubical? No, they just don’t care.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 944 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:23 am

I love a victim mentality.

Blaming advertising and trying to bizarrely make others grateful for your contribution to society via the tax you pay is pretty much a stock response.

Take responsibility and don't be so selfish on others.

If you want to quit - get help - there has never been more support for quitting.

if you don't want to quit, then don't! Please just don't kick off when people complain about having to breathe in 2nd hand smoke at places like hospitals because you are more bothered about getting your fix than considering others around you and the impact you have on them - however temporary.

When smoking in places where other people can smell your fumes... just know that everyone around you is thinking "selfish prick".
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:07 am

I didn't realise people still smoked.

Can't be more than a few thousand can there?.

It's more or less an underclass thing now I'm told. Can they not carry bells and shout "unclean!" As they approach?

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:14 am

fatboy47 wrote:I didn't realise people still smoked.

It's more or less an underclass thing now I'm told. Can they not carry bells and shout "unclean!" As they approach?
roughly ten million UK smokers, or "The underclass" as you so arrogantly refer to them.

PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:27 am

I would sooner have 10 smokers outside the entrance of a hospital than one person inside absolutely stinking out a full department wreaking of weed, absolutely disgusting.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:51 am

10 million smokers? So at £5 tax per packet, that's £50 million per day in tax.
X 365 = £18.25 billion per year.

But that can't be right, smokers are costing the NHS millions (so I have been told on this thread).
Then when you consider we die young and hardly ever claim our State Pension,
so say 8 million die young. £150 per week pension x 52 weeks that's another £62.4 billion per year saved.

Smokers virtually fund the NHS on their own!
We should be encouraged to smoke and even given heated exterior luxurious shelters at hospitals.
Complete with comfy seats and there is even an argument for free fags!

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:29 am

2 Bee Holed wrote:10 million smokers? So at £5 tax per packet, that's £50 million per day in tax.

But that can't be right, smokers are costing the NHS millions (so I have been told on this thread).
so say 8 million die young. £150 per week pension x 52 weeks that's another £62.4 billion per year saved.

We should be encouraged to smoke and even given heated exterior luxurious shelters at hospitals.
I know you are being somewhat flippant to make a good point, but there is more than an element of truth in what you suggest.
Poor lifestyle choices don't just mean ciggy's, but its as if non smokers are occasionally ill by accident, they would never dream of clogging up the NHS beds, just their arteries with decades of boozing and eating till they're fit to burst , and then expecting gastric bands fitting and months of additional after care. But they have never so much as touched a solitary cigarette in their lives.

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 722 times
Has Liked: 2025 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:32 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:Just refuse to treat cancer patients who smoke
I had Leukemia in 2016 and was a smoker at the time of my diagnosis. Should I not have been treated, even though the smoking was not linked?

Yeah, you didn't really think it through, did you..? ;)

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 722 times
Has Liked: 2025 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:34 am

fatboy47 wrote:I didn't realise people still smoked.

Have you never been outside before?

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:40 am

At the moment most of you drive vehicles with an exhaust, pretty much like smoking was once deemed acceptable. Now society at large appear happy to condem anyone who smokes, not be long before you who drive atmosphere polluting vehicles will become the scourge of society. You'll be banned from driving your nasty motors anywhere near any sort of population and people will give you the same look of contempt that you give smokers today.
In the same way you believe there's no need to smoke, I believe that the majority of you don't need cars with an exhaust, but you do and feel it's acceptable.
I smoke, I enjoy it. One year I made it a new year's resolution to quit for 12 months going cold turkey, it was no problem. On the stroke of midnight the following year I lit up again, vowing that I will not deny myself a pleasure simply because other people don't approve.
I drive a zero emissions electric car, I enjoy riding my bicycle. No one seems bothered that they fill my atmosphere with their pollutants which is why I laugh at you lot on here, trying to portray yourselves as the do Gooders of society when you do more harm to the environment than I do smoking 10 ciggies a day.
When I was at school we were taught a story in the Bible about a society that was about to stone a woman to death, Jesus said let he without sin cast the first stone. He began writing in the sand, things that people holding the stones had done in their lives. They all dropped the stones and went home. Maybe some of you on here should drop yours.
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:42 am

From my office window (a London hospital) I can see 4 or 5 people at the back door, used for non emergency patient transport etc) having a smoke.

The other say a patient was complaining about there being a fruit stall outside the front entrance. Nowt as strange as folk !!

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:51 am

No Ney Never wrote:At the moment most of you drive vehicles with an exhaust, pretty much like smoking was once deemed acceptable. Now society at large appear happy to condem anyone who smokes, not be long before you who drive atmosphere polluting vehicles will become the scourge of society. You'll be banned from driving your nasty motors anywhere near any sort of population and people will give you the same look of contempt that you give smokers today.
In the same way you believe there's no need to smoke, I believe that the majority of you don't need cars with an exhaust, but you do and feel it's acceptable.
I smoke, I enjoy it. One year I made it a new year's resolution to quit for 12 months going cold turkey, it was no problem. On the stroke of midnight the following year I lit up again, vowing that I will not deny myself a pleasure simply because other people don't approve.
I drive a zero emissions electric car, I enjoy riding my bicycle. No one seems bothered that they fill my atmosphere with their pollutants which is why I laugh at you lot on here, trying to portray yourselves as the do Gooders of society when you do more harm to the environment than I do smoking 10 ciggies a day.
When I was at school we were taught a story in the Bible about a society that was about to stone a woman to death, Jesus said let he without sin cast the first stone. He began writing in the sand, things that people holding the stones had done in their lives. They all dropped the stones and went home. Maybe some of you on here should drop yours.
the world has far too many lycra clad cyclists, and holier than thou jogging types. They love their occasional glass of white wine and latte's with croissants. Wa****s every single of of em.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 976 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:51 am

Jakubclaret

The clamping of vehicles on private land was outlawed in England and Wales by a change in the law in 2012. If you clamp a vehicle parked on private property you can now be arrested and charged.

2 Bee Holed

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:53 am

:roll:
Fruit stalls, people collecting money for charity and foodbanks, volunteers to show you which way to your appointment, ambulances and their crews.
NOBODY should be in an entrance way to a hospital, people in mobility scooters, wheelchairs and especially those with crutches, they all slow you down, flog the lot of them.

Those drinking beer at the entrance to the bogs in the CFS!
Flog 'em all, I say.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

2 Bee Holed

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:56 am

:evil:
phaah, Fruit stall? They should be selling fags and raising money for the NHS. :evil:

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:the world has far too many lycra clad cyclists, and holier than thou jogging types. They love their occasional glass of white wine and latte's with croissants. Wa****s every single of of em.
Fancy that! A world full of happy people enjoying themselves, must be a bit of a sickener to someone like you.
You will improve your mental health if you concentrate on finding things you enjoy rather than expressing 'envy' at others.
This user liked this post: Belial

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:31 pm

No Ney Never wrote:At the moment most of you drive vehicles with an exhaust, pretty much like smoking was once deemed acceptable. Now society at large appear happy to condem anyone who smokes, not be long before you who drive atmosphere polluting vehicles will become the scourge of society. You'll be banned from driving your nasty motors anywhere near any sort of population and people will give you the same look of contempt that you give smokers today.

Unfortunately we won't see a big change until there is much more investment in infrastructure, and improvements in vehicle technology. It used to take 5 journeys (bus, train etc.) for me to get to work in one place I was at, which didn't make public transport feasible, and I wasn't going to cycle a 70 mile round trip a day for various reasons. More cycling would alleviate many issues, but I still don't think the UK are anywhere near the likes of Denmark for making that a reality.

While you're onto the point of additional pollutants though, you may as well have stated those with woodburners or similar appliances are now one of the main issues. Those who smoke, choose to do so, and realistically now it's been taken out of the workplace etc., it's only them that are directly affected (disregarding costs of the medical services etc).

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Belial wrote:Unfortunately we won't see a big change until there is much more investment in infrastructure, and improvements in vehicle technology. It used to take 5 journeys (bus, train etc.) for me to get to work in one place I was at, which didn't make public transport feasible, and I wasn't going to cycle a 70 mile round trip a day for various reasons. More cycling would alleviate many issues, but I still don't think the UK are anywhere near the likes of Denmark for making that a reality.

While you're onto the point of additional pollutants though, you may as well have stated those with woodburners or similar appliances are now one of the main issues. Those who smoke, choose to do so, and realistically now it's been taken out of the workplace etc., it's only them that are directly affected (disregarding costs of the medical services etc).
Woodburners, that's a good shout. I don't suppose many people who use these have a carbon capture system at the top of their chimney.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:43 pm

kentonclaret wrote:Jakubclaret

The clamping of vehicles on private land was outlawed in England and Wales by a change in the law in 2012. If you clamp a vehicle parked on private property you can now be arrested and charged.
Exactly, even more reason to be cautious.

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:51 pm

They were smoking next to no smoking signs at the entrance to Blackburn Hospital last time I was there. No point having these signs up if you don't enforce it.

The only good thing to come out of it is this song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub81XBbvURs

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:51 pm

Both 2 evils you're right, people need to also think about the emissions they create, sometimes a push iron & shanks pony are the more environmentally friendly options, fair enough if it's a necessity but you see power hungry 4x4 ect doing short journeys it's sickening in the same way exposure to passive inhalation of tobacco is.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:58 pm

RammyClaret61 wrote:I just don’t understand the attraction of smoking. The chance of it killing you is above average. It’s adictive, it’s expensive, it makes you stink. Please don’t say you only do it socially. The fact most smokers can’t even last an hour at football without one. Also do smokers think no one will notice if they smoke in a toilet cubical? No, they just don’t care.
Thing is its very easy to start.

I were going on nights out with mates who all smoked. So in busy clubs/pubs its easier to go with them outside rather than them trying to relocate me after they'd been for a fag. I then started to take drags which led to asking for a full one. I thought that was taking the **** because they’re expensive as you say. So I bought a pack to save for nights out. I then had one in the morning and that was that. 5 years now. I want to stop. Havent seriously tried. But I go through only 2 packs a week and wont let myself buy any more.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:51 pm

tim_noone wrote:I Don't smoke.. But provide an ash tray for the smokers in my house. What puzzles me is when they've gone I'm left with their fag ends why don't they put them in the rubbish on leaving? I liken it to taking a dump in their toilet and not pulling the chain ...Most smokers are very thoughtless and just a bit selfish.
I'll remember that if I'm ever invited to " Noone Towers " !! However, I'm sure you'll agree that smokers have kept Painters & Decorators in work for decades, repainting nicotine stained walls, ceilings and woodwork !! And that's the thanks we get ... :x :x

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 976 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Jakubclaret

Seem to be crossed wires.

The person responsible for clamping the vehicle can be arrested and charged not the driver.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:56 pm

2 Bee Holed wrote:10 million smokers? So at £5 tax per packet, that's £50 million per day in tax.

The tobacco tax usually raises between £8 - £9 billion per year.....it was £8.8bn in the tax year to April 2017, I believe ....

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Clarets4me wrote:I'll remember that if I'm ever invited to " Noone Towers " !! However, I'm sure you'll agree that smokers have kept Painters & Decorators in work for decades, repainting nicotine stained walls, ceilings and woodwork !! And that's the thanks we get ... :x :x
:lol: :lol: I wondered where you'd got to. Your most welcome it as a designated smoking area. Please dispose of your rubbish responsibly. I don't think you read post 50 in it's entirety :D

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:04 pm

tim_noone wrote::lol: :lol: I wondered where you'd got to. Your most welcome it as a designated smoking area. Please dispose of your rubbish responsibly. I don't think you read post 50 in it's entirety :D
I see what you did with the " subtle " edit there ...... ;)

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2246 times

Post by mkmel » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:roughly ten million UK smokers, or "The underclass" as you so arrogantly refer to them.
I don't believe that figure
That is about 1 in 6 people smoking bearing in mind the UK's 60M population is including children and babies

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:34 pm

kentonclaret wrote:Jakubclaret

Seem to be crossed wires.

The person responsible for clamping the vehicle can be arrested and charged not the driver.
No crossed wires, I can’t see any logical reason for inducing any entrapment or provoking any angst whether on private or public land.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:04 pm

Most of the nurses I know, smoke.

They should sack em all

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:20 pm

If all the nurses you know smoke then that is up to them as long as they don't smoke in hospital grounds

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:37 pm

The problem with people smoking in doorways can be virtually eliminated by dropping your insistence on people not smoking anywhere on hospital grounds, by creating areas for people to smoke in.
Do people still go for a cig in the toilets at turf moor since they let them out for a half time fag?
It's almost as though people just want to have something to complain about

spadesclaret
Been Liked: 2147 times
Has Liked: 3782 times

Post by spadesclaret » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:42 pm

Mel, my friend is sitting at her son's hospital bedside literally waiting for him to die. He has two or three days left at most. He smokes, although he has been told his cancer is not smoking related. Three or four times a day his dad wheels him outside for a cigarette. Would you condemn him to a smoke-free last few days?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5551 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:22 pm

Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield trying to tackle the problem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-45902674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:24 pm

If he's wheeled to a place around people who don't smoke and in a place where smoking is banned, he should be wheeled further away to enjoy his ciggie, dying or not. Selfishness should not become acceptable just because you're on your last legs.
Not relevant here but those arrogant tossers and, no doubt, their chav families who stand by the "No Smoking" signs at hospital entrances doing exactly the opposite should be given a warning and then discharged if at happens again. No excuses, **** 'em.
Last edited by evensteadiereddie on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1864 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:26 pm

That would be on permanently at RBH :/

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:26 pm

spadesclaret wrote:Mel, my friend is sitting at her son's hospital bedside literally waiting for him to die. He has two or three days left at most. He smokes, although he has been told his cancer is not smoking related. Three or four times a day his dad wheels him outside for a cigarette. Would you condemn him to a smoke-free last few days?
I would say in such extreme cases they should of course make an exception and turn a blind eye

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:29 pm

If smoking is so important to these guys, wouldn't it have been kinder and more appropriate to let him die at home ?

sanderson370
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Post by sanderson370 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:30 pm

I don't smoke but please tell me who polices the smoking in hospitals and you will all find no one.someone correct me if my wrong?

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:40 pm

No one policies inside the hospital as only a complete idiot or moron would smoke inside
Outside at Milton Keynes Hospital after a member of staff has been ignored or disgustingly verbally abused when asking smokers to stop then Security are called
I don't know what they can do and by the time they get there the smoker or in many cases more than one has gone

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:46 pm

And spades I am really sorry to hear about your friends Son
This user liked this post: spadesclaret

spadesclaret

Post by spadesclaret » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:48 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:If smoking is so important to these guys, wouldn't it have been kinder and more appropriate to let him die at home ?
They are continuously monitoring his pain control which couldn't be done if he was at home.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:08 pm

Foshiznik wrote:Have you never been outside before?
:lol: :lol:

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:15 pm

spadesclaret wrote:They are continuously monitoring his pain control which couldn't be done if he was at home.
I understand and it's a pretty awful situation but I don't think smoking should happen anywhere near a hospital or, indeed, any other public building whatever the individual circumstances.

spadesclaret

Post by spadesclaret » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:36 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:I understand and it's a pretty awful situation but I don't think smoking should happen anywhere near a hospital or, indeed, any other public building whatever the individual circumstances.
How things change. Just over fifty years ago I was in hospital for two weeks. I smoked at the time and during that two weeks my consumption went up from 5 or 6 a day to 20 a day. Boredom? Nerves? Wakeful nights? Whatever the reason - we smoked in bed on the wards and no-one frowned at it.

Now - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-45902674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the idea is good but the messages are dreadful - sentimentality at its worse. A simple "Put that cigarette out" would be so much better.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:11 am

Why do smokers all huddle round the front doors of pubs...when they have great smoke shelters? Provided "Colne"

2 Bee Holed

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:55 am

Clarets4me wrote:The tobacco tax usually raises between £8 - £9 billion per year.....it was £8.8bn in the tax year to April 2017, I believe ....
You have now set me about looking at this:
I pay £8 per packet of 20.
From Government website:

"You also pay standard rate VAT at 20% on alcohol and tobacco products.
Tobacco Duty
You pay different rates of Tobacco Duty on cigarettes, cigars and other tobacco products.
Tobacco product
Rate: Cigarettes
16.5% of the retail price plus £4.34 on a packet of 20"

So out of my £8, £1.60 v.a.t. £1.32 is 16.5% and the £4.34.
So out of £8 I pay £7.26 in taxes.

I suspect my earlier calculations are conservative. I am reading that in 2016 it was £9.5 billion in excise duty plus £2.5billion in v.a.t
So in 2016 it was £12 billion. I bet my earlier guesstimate of £18billion isn't far off for 18/19.