Smoking at Hospitals

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2250 times

Smoking at Hospitals

Post by mkmel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:01 pm

Unfortunately due to my many health issues I am a regular at my local MK Hospital and another couple of Hospitals
And it really pisses me off and disgusts me at the number of visitors and even patients who I see totally ignoring the many no smoking signs and smoking
Virtually every time I come out of the multi story car park I see people puffing the cancer fumes out right next to the pedestrian exit
I was in MK Hospital recently for surgery and one young guy in our Ward regularly went outside for a cigarette
And another rude ignorant patient who everyday was abusive to the nurses bullied one of them into taking him outside for a cigarette
That's another thing the abuse rudeness and bullying the nurses get from some patients is totally unacceptable
They just take it and it is disgusting and I really feel for them
I spoke to a member of staff on reception who told me that she doesnt get paid enough to tell these ignorant don't give a sh1t smokers to stop smoking as they either ignore her or tell her and others to f@#k off
I spoke to the secretary of the CEO and she said they having meetings to see what can be done and they are putting up even more no smoking signs
But the ignorant smokers will still carry on smoking and sometimes right next to the no smoking signs
A member of staff told me that at a Hospital in Coventry they hand out on the spot fines to smokers
Not sure if it's true or how it can be policed but hope it can be.done at MK Hospital and all of our Hospitals

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Re: Smoking at Hospitals

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:12 pm

https://youtu.be/xYxNXj2L24s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thelaughingclaret
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by thelaughingclaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:26 pm

In historians you see people dying of cancer going out for a fag. I really don’t know what the answer is. Maybe segregate hospitals with one area with wards for people who want to smoke and another area with wards for people who actually want to live.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:36 pm

Just refuse to treat cancer patients who smoke

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:40 pm

I know that basically some of these smokers are addicts but ffs not in Hospital grounds and right next to entrances right next to where people are passing by

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:41 pm

I smoke.
I also want to live.
I want to ban all cars because of their emissions causing Asthma in children
and Alzheimer's in the old. That is to name just two dreadful diseases.
I bet I don't get my way though!
I also don't think my putting some signs up will stop the cars either.
Thing is, because you cannot smoke indoors anymore, my smoking will just kill me, yet car drivers
make many thousands of people ill and kill many hundreds every year.
This user liked this post: No Ney Never

Goobs
Been Liked: 1467 times
Has Liked: 997 times

Post by Goobs » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:41 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:Just refuse to treat cancer patients who smoke
What about those that have quit and still get cancer?
What about smokers whose cancer doesn't stem from smoking?

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:45 pm

I had 5 patients on my ward kicking off because I wouldn’t wheel them out for a fag. I firmly explained that there is only 4 staff on, 30 patients, and 2 of them are extremely unwell, therefore I don’t have the time to take them out. It really annoys me when people get annoyed that a nurse won’t take them out for a cigarette. I get paid to care for people’s health, not to encourage them to smoke

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:49 pm

Yes people smoke outside shops supermarkets etc and they are allowed to do this
But not in Hospital grounds where they are not allowed to and it's a Hospital ffs
Unfortunately they just don't give a sh1t

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:52 pm

Inchy wrote:I had 5 patients on my ward kicking off because I wouldn’t wheel them out for a fag. I firmly explained that there is only 4 staff on, 30 patients, and 2 of them are extremely unwell, therefore I don’t have the time to take them out. It really annoys me when people get annoyed that a nurse won’t take them out for a cigarette. I get paid to care for people’s health, not to encourage them to smoke
And I assume that at your Hospital just like here in MK smoking is banned in Hospital grounds
And as I said this nurse was bullied into taking this rude ignorant patient out for a cigarette

Millertime v1.7
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Millertime v1.7 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Mate smokers are the bottom feeders of the
planet
This user liked this post: clarethomer

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3189 times
Has Liked: 1870 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:00 pm

Unfortunately it’s a sight I see every day and I’ve seen patients literally dragging themselves down corridors attached to drips and standing outside in the cold in pajamas & slippers.

Staff do challenge but as been said just get the abuse back

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Replying to post #11

Not so much smokers but smokers who don't give a sh1t about others including their children
I still see smokers smoking in their car with their kids in the back seat and others who smoke in their house with their children inside
A few months ago I even saw a guy with a lighted fag in his gob while he was putting his young child in his car seat
For me it is child abuse

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:18 pm

A simple solution would be to have a smoking area away from the entrance.
Unfortunately, that would still not be enough for most non smokers

2 Bee Holed

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:24 pm

mkmel:

You need to calm down Sir!

Next you will be telling me there are inconsiderate people in our Country!

A hypothesis which I could not accept.
:D

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:26 pm

Damo wrote:A simple solution would be to have a smoking area away from the entrance.
Unfortunately, that would still not be enough for most non smokers
Common sense solution that respects the wishes and rights of smokers and non-smokers alike ..... you won't get far thinking like that, Damo !! ;)
This user liked this post: Damo

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:28 pm

I hate people smoking full stop but it's the pure ignorance of these morons who flagrantly disregard no smoking signs and even abuse members of hospital staff and visitors who point out that there is no smoking allowed anywhere in hospital grounds

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32537 times
Has Liked: 5278 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:30 pm

Surprised they don’t allow smoking in the grounds

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:36 pm

mkmel wrote:Unfortunately due to my many health issues I am a regular at my local MK Hospital and another couple of Hospitals
Virtually every time I come out of the multi story car park I see people puffing the cancer fumes out right next to the pedestrian exit....
Sorry to hear that you're not well and I hope you are able to get back to better health.
Unless you drive a zero emissions vehicle, how on earth can you possibly condem anyone smoking a fag?
You drive into hospital grounds spewing into everyone's atmosphere, carcinogenics, without any thought for the health of anyone else. Glass houses and all that!

2 Bee Holed

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:36 pm

mkmel:
You have made your point, time and time again in fact.
Would you be against people smoking on hospital grounds, say 80m from a door where nobody passes except smokers?
Do you get equally upset when teachers come home with bloodied faces because they have been attacked at school?
or when firemen have bricks thrown at them?
You are aware aren't you that there are morons out there in society that do far worse than smoke near hospital doors, aren't you?

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:38 pm

I don’t think they mind people vaping it’s just cigarettes/tobacco ect. A counter argument to the smoking could be, with the tax on them in they mind they are contributing towards the NHS albeit in a sinister way so it’s not a problem, I personally don’t smoke outside hospitals but I’ve had a few chuffs on a vapestick very briefly within the grounds.

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:42 pm

I would not mind a smoking area for all of the smokers to go to as long as they all just went in there

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:44 pm

In full agreement with the OP and other posters on this subject.

Over the past year I have spent some time visiting Northwick Park Hospital and have been disgusted at seeing patients (and visitors) standing directly in front of "NO SMOKING" signs at the Main Entrance puffing away.

As with "No Parking" signs difficult to enforce if people are prepared to completely ignore them.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:45 pm

mkmel wrote:I hate people smoking full stop but it's the pure ignorance of these morons who flagrantly disregard no smoking signs and even abuse members of hospital staff and visitors who point out that there is no smoking allowed anywhere in hospital grounds
I hate people driving cars with an exhaust full stop but it's the pure ignorance of these morons who flagrantly disregard no smoking signs and drive into hospital grounds spewing their carcinogenics into the atmosphere and abuse people who point out that there is no smoking allowed anywhere in hospital grounds.

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:46 pm

Not only ignore the no smoking signs but actually tell staff to f off

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:47 pm

kentonclaret wrote:In full agreement with the OP and other posters on this subject.

Over the past year I have spent some time visiting Northwick Park Hospital and have been disgusted at seeing patients (and visitors) standing directly in front of "NO SMOKING" signs at the Main Entrance puffing away.

As with "No Parking" signs difficult to enforce if people are prepared to completely ignore them.
I think no parking signs are very easy to enforce with the threats of clamping & fines, I certainly take notice of them, the smoking is a completely different kettle of fish in terms of enforcement.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:52 pm

I suspect they would be ignored far less if there was a dedicated place for people to go.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2634 times
Has Liked: 6461 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:58 pm

We really have made progress in this country in regards to getting people to stop smoking and killing themselves, but there is still quite a way to go. As a child in the 70’s I recall visiting my GP with my mum for the usual ailments, and he would always have a big fat cigar burning away in his ashtray - I’m glad that sort of thing still doesn’t go on.

I’m an ex smoker who used to work in the NHS and for me the most stupid thing the NHS did was to ban smoking on all trust grounds without understanding the real consequences of doing that. What it resulted in was the removal of perfectly good smoking areas away from footpaths and general public access points and left staff and patients disillusioned about what to do, and over the years anywhere outside has become a smoking area. If only they had left it as it was and kept the official smoking areas where it was contained and controlled.

I’m glad I no longer smoke, it is a disgusting habit and any smoker who claims they enjoy it are in fact bullish!tting themselves - it is horrid and abhorrent and there is no justification for the selfishness of smokers in public these days. It was really easy to stop in the end, I just woke up and didn’t want to do it anymore.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:07 pm

2 Bee Holed wrote: Thing is, because you cannot smoke indoors anymore, my smoking will just kill me,
You keep believing that

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:16 pm

Havnt read the whole thread but it annoys me when people smoke outside the entrances to places and particularly hospitals. Why should everyone else have to breathe that sh*t in on their way in somewhere.

moaninclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by moaninclaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:18 pm

I think designated areas for smoking is ok as long as people smoke only in those areas, if they smoke outside those areas and in particularly next to NO SMOKING signs, then a spot fine for the ignorant b.....ds should be enforced, these people have no respect and consideration for themselves or others.
These 2 users liked this post: mkmel Clarets4me

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:28 pm

post duplicated
Last edited by Roosterbooster on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:29 pm

smoking is highly addictive, easy to be all high and mighty , not to mention patronising about those who do smoke.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:31 pm

2 Bee Holed wrote:I smoke.
I also want to live.
Not a great start
2 Bee Holed wrote:I want to ban all cars because of their emissions causing Asthma in children and Alzheimer's in the old. That is to name just two dreadful diseases.
Asthma and Alzheimer’s existed way before we had cars on the road
2 Bee Holed wrote:Thing is, because you cannot smoke indoors anymore, my smoking will just kill me
But cost the NHS millions in the process
2 Bee Holed wrote:yet car drivers make many thousands of people ill and kill many hundreds every year.
And whilst this is terrible, most people accept the risk of driving is low, and that the risk (and cost to the NHS) with smoking is extremely high

Either way, smoking outside a hospital entrance next to a giant “No Smoking” sign is just disgusting behaviour, but unfortunately the people doing it don’t care one bit

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:37 pm

DCWat wrote:I suspect they would be ignored far less if there was a dedicated place for people to go.

There is at the hospital where I work.

It used to be a blanket ban on site, then they decided to create a smoking shelter about 30 yards from the main enterences. Doesn’t work. That 30 yards is too far. They just smoke by the enterence so all other patients/ visitors have to breath it in, including premature babies.

I say this as an ex smoker, fortunately smoking is becoming less common and you are judged for doing so.

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:47 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:smoking is highly addictive, easy to be all high and mighty , not to mention patronising about those who do smoke.
Yes I admit that some of the smokers are addicts but just as they know they cannot smoke inside the hospital then also accept that they cannot smoke in hospital grounds either
Wait till you get out and away from the hospital grounds and puff away to your hearts content as long as there is no one near you
This user liked this post: moaninclaret

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:57 pm

some of them might be patients, they have nowhere to wander off to have a smoke

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:28 pm

They are in hospital to improve their health in one way or another or in some circumstances to keep them alive
So why should the hospital condone those same patients smoking and in the future coming back to hospital with cancer for the hospital to sort out

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:33 pm

moaninclaret wrote:I think designated areas for smoking is ok as long as people smoke only in those areas, if they smoke outside those areas and in particularly next to NO SMOKING signs, then a spot fine for the ignorant b.....ds should be enforced, these people have no respect and consideration for themselves or others.
I dont know why they dont just have an enforcer employed. They’d make £1000s a day. The problem would be cured in months. I once got fined for throwing one on the ground walking to the turf. £70. Lesson learnt and I wont do it again
This user liked this post: moaninclaret

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:41 pm

I bet after brexit people will be able to smoke wherever they like.

barba
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by barba » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:42 pm

When my eldest was born there were a couple of heavily pregnant women in hospital who were smokers.

One was in their because her baby had literally stopped growing and the other was set to have hers premature.

They panicked when the baby heart rate monitor went through the roof post cig but doubt it lasted long

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:25 pm

mkmel wrote:They are in hospital to improve their health in one way or another or in some circumstances to keep them alive
So why should the hospital condone those same patients smoking and in the future coming back to hospital with cancer for the hospital to sort out
in much the same way non smoking, teetotal obese people expect treatment I would imagine .

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:37 pm

But the hospitals don't allow the obese patients to go outside for a big Mac and large fries

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:07 pm

Smokers stood around pub doors all puffing away is a great look....but why do they all look like they need a good wash?
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller moaninclaret

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:11 pm

People who drink redbull in public are much worse

People who also eat smelly food on public transport.

My nose is delicate.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:19 pm

barba wrote:When my eldest was born there were a couple of heavily pregnant women in hospital who were smokers.

One was in their because her baby had literally stopped growing and the other was set to have hers premature.

They panicked when the baby heart rate monitor went through the roof post cig but doubt it lasted long
We were in 5 days when my wife had the baby, our room over looked the entrance. It shocked me how many pregnant women and mothers were smoking

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:31 pm

Loyalclaret wrote:We were in 5 days when my wife had the baby, our room over looked the entrance. It shocked me how many pregnant women and mothers were smoking
They may have been the obese patients waiting for their Dominos

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:37 pm

mkmel wrote:But the hospitals don't allow the obese patients to go outside for a big Mac and large fries
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... gence.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don’t need to step a foot outside unless the preference is McDonald’s.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:44 pm

TheOriginalLongsider wrote:https://youtu.be/xYxNXj2L24s
Better video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO8SuHMGdfA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where's tyrone when you need him.

Can't wait for an all out public spaces smoking ban... Disgusting habit.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:56 pm

I Don't smoke.. But provide an ash tray for the smokers in my house. What puzzles me is when they've gone I'm left with their fag ends why don't they put them in the rubbish on leaving? I liken it to taking a dump in their toilet and not pulling the chain ...Most smokers apart from my valuable chain smoking customers are very thoughtless and just a bit selfish.
Last edited by tim_noone on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.