Watch your Sky t.v. Contract.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 520 times

Watch your Sky t.v. Contract.

Post by beddie » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:34 am

My deal ran out today ( we just have sky t.v.- not their broadband etc) so I've rung for a new deal. They told me that they've automatically put me on another 18 month contract with an increase of just over £21.00. per month. They said that the increase is still heavily discounted and not the standard rate that it should have been, anyway, after a bit of negotiating I'm paying an extra £5.00 per month rather than £21.00. Just thought I'd mention it's worth diarising when your renewal date is due and contacting them.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2634 times
Has Liked: 6459 times

Re: Watch your Sky t.v. Contract.

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:37 am

I'm fairly certain that it would be illegal for them to sign you up for another 18 months without your agreement, but that would need checking. Even if they did have that ability, you would have a right to cancel.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:49 am

You can normally negotiate with Sky at renewal dates. In my experience you can get a decent deal/reduction, be polite/non-aggressive and they usually come up with something. I currently pay about £68 per month all in, phone/broadband/Sky sports.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1467 times
Has Liked: 997 times

Post by Goobs » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:56 am

Rick_Muller wrote:I'm fairly certain that it would be illegal for them to sign you up for another 18 months without your agreement, but that would need checking. Even if they did have that ability, you would have a right to cancel.
Would depend on the T's & C's of the original contract I think. I believe that it can be stipulated that if you do not cancel your contract a certain amount of time before the renewal date then it will automatically roll over into another contract of x amount of months, as I have seen these types of contract at work.

Not sure if they could do this and enforce an increase in the price as well though, as usually when there is a price increase they have to offer you the chance to cancel your contract within 30-90 days or something like that.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Fretters
Been Liked: 1051 times
Has Liked: 553 times

Post by Fretters » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:56 am

With Virgin Media, I always cancelled at renewal and refused any better offers. I'd then go into my 30 day notice and, without fail, they'd ring me before the 30 days was up with an even better offer.

I'm now just using Freeview Play and, with Netflix and Amazon Prime, I don't miss Virgin at all. I just pay £22.50 a month for fibre broadband.

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:17 am

Goobs wrote:Would depend on the T's & C's of the original contract I think. I believe that it can be stipulated that if you do not cancel your contract a certain amount of time before the renewal date then it will automatically roll over into another contract of x amount of months, as I have seen these types of contract at work.

Not sure if they could do this and enforce an increase in the price as well though, as usually when there is a price increase they have to offer you the chance to cancel your contract within 30-90 days or something like that.
Thats fairly standard with business deals such as energy contracts, but not within the domestic market. Whoever has told the OP this is wrong. Whatever, you have a 14 day cooling off period for distance selling, so I'd definitely be invoking that immediately.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:19 am

beddie wrote:My deal ran out today ( we just have sky t.v.- not their broadband etc) so I've rung for a new deal. They told me that they've automatically put me on another 18 month contract with an increase of just over £21.00. per month. They said that the increase is still heavily discounted and not the standard rate that it should have been, anyway, after a bit of negotiating I'm paying an extra £5.00 per month rather than £21.00. Just thought I'd mention it's worth diarising when your renewal date is due and contacting them.
They cannot automatically put you on a 18 month contract without your approval. What they can do is put you on the current value of your package once your prior agreement is spent and they have absolutely no obligation to inform you. The alleged benefit to the customer is with that you only have a 30 day cancellation / cooling off period and no financial penalty for early notice because their is no contract in place. I know with the technology available today it as been requested via the regulators that their should be notice within your package that you can access via your remote control telling you your package content and the expiry dates but Sky have so far blocked this request.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:20 am

For all their faults, which are many, I'm not aware that Sky have a rolling contract policy. Not sure what happened with you so can't comment but normally when your original period has expired you simply need to give a months notice to quit.
I DO know that they are quite aggressive when you want to leave and will bombard you with 'offers' to tempt you to stay and often get quite rude when you refuse. Personally I'd dump them tomorrow as there are so many alternatives now but my daughter says she wants us to keep it and pays half the bill so we are stuck with it for now.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:25 am

houseboy wrote:For all their faults, which are many, I'm not aware that Sky have a rolling contract policy. Not sure what happened with you so can't comment but normally when your original period has expired you simply need to give a months notice to quit.
I DO know that they are quite aggressive when you want to leave and will bombard you with 'offers' to tempt you to stay and often get quite rude when you refuse. Personally I'd dump them tomorrow as there are so many alternatives now but my daughter says she wants us to keep it and pays half the bill so we are stuck with it for now.
They pry on people not remembering their expiry date houseboy. You miss that and you're on the rolling contract until you notice usually via a bank statement that your fee as rocketed. They will not automatically cut you off once the contract as lapsed because it is simply not in there best interests and then as said above the hard sell begins when you eventually notice and request cancellation.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:05 am

I have TWICE had Sky add features to my contract without me accepting it. They said both times it was an error (yeah right!!)

So keep an eye on your balance. They will add things in the hope you'll never notice.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:12 pm

Sky are a nightmare to get out of a contract with. You phone up to add things to your deal or sign up and they answer, deal with your request quickly.

Try cancelling. They constantly put the phone down mid call, meaning you have to call back and go through the time consuming hassle again. They purposely make it hard to leave. When I was leaving last year it took 4 phone calls over a week to give notice, and probably 60 minutes on the phone. We now get a letter every week, text messages etc to go back on this deal or that.

After the first month of not having I haven’t missed it really. Perhaps the odd Sky sports Saturday where I’ve wished I’d had it. Netflix and Amazon have covered me for box sets etc.

Regarding the automatic 18 months there’s no way you have to put up with that.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:19 pm

Problem is Virgin are even worse - the worst customer service you can imagine and constantly increasing the prices.

BT are expensive too.

You know it’s a sh-it industry when the only way you can get anyone to listen to you is when you have given them notice to cease your services

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:28 pm

RocketLawnChair wrote:They pry on people not remembering their expiry date houseboy. You miss that and you're on the rolling contract until you notice usually via a bank statement that your fee as rocketed. They will not automatically cut you off once the contract as lapsed because it is simply not in there best interests and then as said above the hard sell begins when you eventually notice and request cancellation.
Sorry Rocket, I probably didn't make myself clear, apologies. Yeah the contract continues and with an increased price as you say, it's happened to me. The point I was, rather clumsily, trying to make was that up to the end of your initial contract you simply CANNOT cancel but once that period has ended they do roll it on, often with a higher price because the initial contract was a special offer, but you can then cancel at any point giving them a months notice.

Sorry for the confusion.

And yes, they have a very aggresive sales policy toward 'leavers'.
This user liked this post: RocketLawnChair

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:42 pm

The irony, after my last post, I've just checked my account and they've gone and added Sky Cinema! I don't watch any films on Sky Cinema... £6 per month and it was added during the summer.

And they won't let you remove it online (which you should be able to do) - you have to phone up.

Thieving B**tards. That's now 3 times they've added things and charged me when I never asked for it.

LongsideClaret
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by LongsideClaret » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:21 pm

All my discounts were about to run out with sky and my bill had gone up to £68 per month for phone, broadband, line rental and sports. I rang up to cancel and they tried to offer me better deals but I said that I was genuinely cancelling.

A week after cancelling they rang up and offered me phone, broadband, line rental and every channel in HD including Movies, Box Sets and Sports in HD for £56 per month. So I’ve signed up for a 12 month contract with them. Have to watch out for your contract expiring though because they don’t warn you they just charge you full price. My new deal will be £110 per month if I don’t cancel at the end of my contract :shock: .

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:46 pm

LongsideClaret wrote:All my discounts were about to run out with sky and my bill had gone up to £68 per month for phone, broadband, line rental and sports. I rang up to cancel and they tried to offer me better deals but I said that I was genuinely cancelling.

A week after cancelling they rang up and offered me phone, broadband, line rental and every channel in HD including Movies, Box Sets and Sports in HD for £56 per month. So I’ve signed up for a 12 month contract with them. Have to watch out for your contract expiring though because they don’t warn you they just charge you full price. My new deal will be £110 per month if I don’t cancel at the end of my contract :shock: .
When you say a week after cancelling do you mean after the phone call that you made or a week after you were actually switched off?

I made that call last week and expect something, I haven’t paid more than half price for years

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:21 pm

My deal has just run out, saw an increase of £10. Phoned today and now £9 cheaper than previous.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1650 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:14 pm

I was paying £75 per month for Sky HD full TV and normal broadband. It then went up to £117 so I cancelled 3 months ago.

I took out BT full fibre and have 56 mb/s for £30 incl line rental. We are just using Amazon and Netflix for now. Sky haven't rung me to offer me anything despite being with them 20 years.

I see though that until yesterday their offer to new and existing customers was £45 for Sky Q with Entertainment, Movies and Sport for 18 months. That seems pretty good, not enough to tempt me but good. It's a bit dodgy if Beddie at the top of this thread wasn't offered that.

Gerry Hattrick
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by Gerry Hattrick » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:32 pm

LongsideClaret wrote:All my discounts were about to run out with sky and my bill had gone up to £68 per month for phone, broadband, line rental and sports. I rang up to cancel and they tried to offer me better deals but I said that I was genuinely cancelling.

I have Broadband, Line Rental and Phone Anytime with Virgin, and the Entertainment Package plus the full Sky Sports pack with Sky. May seem a bit odd that I do it that way instead of using just one of 'em for a complete service but I've found that the price difference between them for a 'full deal' is minimal and in my opinion, not worth the trouble of changing my email address and all the hassle that entails.

Although as TVC15 says in post #12, Virgin customer services can be awful when you do need to get in touch with them, I've vary rarely had to do so and I consider their broadband to be the best of the bunch. Not once had any trouble with their phone service either but perhaps I've just been lucky. If you're prepared to pay for a 01***** number if you need to get in touch with them, you'll find some on the 'Say NO To 0870' site and you'll get through to someone in Swansea who generally know what they're talking about, don't have to work through a script like the ones you normally get put through to in Asia, you can understand ‘em and more often than not they quickly resolve your problem.

Anyway, as Sky have increased their price again from this month, I decided this week I'd have another go at getting a cheaper deal. Never had much success before, but this time I approached it differently. I didn't go through the 'I'm gonna leave' route I've used before. Struck me their people hear this dozens of times a day, know how to deal with it by making it awkward by starting the process of cancelling their services' - which you really don't want to do anyway and are worried they actually will, - and then days later, someone from the Retentions Dept will ring and offer you a reduction hardly worth bothering about, which you take because they tell you they actually will be cutting you off at a given date in the near future.
Well, I rang 'em and the result was that after a pleasant conversation with a bit of light hearted banter thrown in by both sides, I got the same packages as before on a new contract with just the Kids channel removed at a saving of over £275 a year, – new contract £40.00/month. No automatic big increase at end of contract. They also knocked nearly £40 off my bill for this month as well!
So …… It may be worthwhile others giving it a go. Nowt lost if you’re not successful anyway.
Good luck.

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:38 pm

My contract with plusnet for fibre broadband ran out a few months back so i am now on a rolling contract paying 40 pounds a month instead of 30 . They said if i renew they will put it back down to 30 pounds a month but im looking around for a better internet provider

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:40 pm

I recently got rid of Sky. I'd never done this before and had Sky for more than 10 years. I expected it to be a right nightmare trying to cancel and I also expected to be offered loads of deals to stay.

I must have got someone on their last day at Sky or something. The nice lady agreed with me that it was quite expensive and that was that. No follow up calls. Nothing. I was amazed.

(And not missing Sky at all. Now just have freeview.)

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:48 pm

Download the My Sky App on your phone, that's how I realised mine was going back up.

LongsideClaret
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by LongsideClaret » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:56 pm

PaintYorkClaretnBlue wrote:When you say a week after cancelling do you mean after the phone call that you made or a week after you were actually switched off?

I made that call last week and expect something, I haven’t paid more than half price for years
A week after my final phone call. Think I was about a week away from losing all but the entertainment channels.

Terrier
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Post by Terrier » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Thank you beddie, i had an 18mth tv contract with everything included for just short of £25 which i had forgot was coming to the end early nov, rang after seeing your post and after deciding the new offer was not good enough had to give them 31 days to end my contract.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:04 pm

Ditched sky 2 years ago and just use a fire stick. Miss more games but don't really miss sky at all. To think I used to pay them about £800 per year. Unless you have time to watch endless tv or loads of sport it's not worth it. They keep offering me deals to go back. I won't.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:32 pm

Ditched sky about 6 years ago and have never looked back. Did go down the cancellation route a few years previous and they gave us a better deal for 6 months, can't remember what it was. The last time I called to cancel the lad made it difficult and I think had to put it in writing, which I did. Binned the sky box and got a freesat hd plus off eBay. Not long after installing the calls from sky started, the lad I spoke to couldn't believe his colleague hadn't offered me an incentive to stay. He then started to offer me a new deal but gave up straight away when I told him that the box had gone to the tip.

LowtonClaret
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by LowtonClaret » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:40 pm

My contract expired and my original box was knackered. I rang them saying I wanted the new sky Q box but didn't want to pay the £100 installation. After negotiating I paid £20 for the installation but got a £30 discount a month for 18 month. It was like a Burnley win against Barstewards haha

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1435 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:04 pm

Finally cancelled sky about 3months a go after 15years.

Played the game a few times about leaving but thought I would test them this time. There has been no magical bonus offer, not even a call.

So getting by with amazon and Netflix. Only thing I’m really missing is recording match of the day and watching when the wife is in bed. She just has to go to bed already now!

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8733 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:28 pm

I was paying £80+ for the complete sky package, as that was the only way you could get the 3d channel. Then that disappeared. After a storm, my sky stopped working. For an extra tenner a month, they would supply the new 4k service etc. However, they couldn't do it for about two and a half weeks.

It was then that everyone started the sportsmania/Kodi and Amazon Fire threads. I investigated, got a Fire tv and eventually sussed it out! Saved me a fortune and much better opportunity to watch the prem as it happens.

Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:53 pm

The one I have in Spain is great 199 Euro for box & set up then 23 Euro per month for everything, BT, films you name it including films straight from the cinema, not to forget all the porn you want. Can’t record but just watch on catch up.