The match day experience yesterday

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Claretforshaw
Been Liked: 95 times
Has Liked: 49 times

The match day experience yesterday

Post by Claretforshaw » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:40 pm

I think it was my fourth visit to watch the Clarets at the Etihad yesterday, and I have to say I didn't enjoy it and every time I go there I say "never again" for the following reasons:-
1. Getting there ( not so bad) and getting away from the ground (bad).
2. As an ageing traditionalist I dislike the "razzamatazz" around the ground before the match, I guess a lot of fans might disagree.
3. I don't like the Etihad,or similar modern concrete out of town stadiums, but that's just me, give me Turf Moor any day of the week.
4.The South stand level 1, I was in row B two years ago and row D yesterday, I can't see what is going on at the far end of the pitch and it is
necessary to stand up for the whole of the match, doesn't help my arthritis! Give me Jimmy Mac Upper all day long.
5. The food/ bar outlets, a choice of a pie, a hot dog , if you are lucky, or a mars bar/twix or a bag of crisps. A half full pint of Strongbow £5.50, I had
to request that they fill it up to the top, unless you go to the other bar where a pint of dark fruit Strongbow is £4.50. I have been to the home end in
the past and there is more choice, although a bag of chips is £5.00 ! I guess it is necessary for a club like Man City to squeeze every penny out of
the supporters to pay their players.
6. The fans..... do they remember where they were before the Arab money enabled them to compete with the top teams and pay silly money for their
players and their wages? I was at the end of the row nearest the City fans many of whom spent most of the match berating the Burnley fans,
gesticulating etc. mind you there were a few Burnley Fans doing the same,causing security, if you can call it that, some problems, quite
pathetic really.

I anticipated the result and accurately predicted the score, so its not "sour grapes", just not my idea of a good day out watching a football match and to me it is all I dislike about modern day football at the highest level completely ruined by the the money thrown at it by sponsors and sky etc. I really hope BFC doesn't sell its soul to the devil, even if it means playing at a lower level!!
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5081 times
Has Liked: 6890 times

Re: The match day experience yesterday

Post by bfcjg » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:51 pm

Didn't go yesterday but agree with your points. When the Arab gets bored and pulls his investment the Etihad complex will turn into one of those clapped out rusty fairgrounds that peaked in the sixties.

SmudgetheClaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:53 pm

I was in the same spot and it's difficult to just take it when their fans are so close and you have it 5 times but they certainly didn't like it when we suggested they bought the title ...Spose the truth hurts..

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:55 pm

they won't get bored. Footy has turned into the same model as American footy where every team is just a franchise owned by billionaires who fleece fans who follow blindly.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:30 pm

They are a very dislikable ‘project’ and inevitably the novelty of visiting there is wearing off, as is constantly playing against 12 men there.

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:38 pm

It was a weird atmosphere yesterday. Quiet, and no set areas of singing. It reminded me of the American Football games at Wembley, where for many it's a day out or an exhibition rather than die hards following their team. £4 for a pie, and no pubs nearby so were stuck with getting a beer inside. There were a few handbags on Level 2 as well, and you could see a little bit on Level 1. Stewards seemed as clueless as the linesman yesterday

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:45 pm

CFS I think you accurately describe what a an awful lot of other people think about attending matches these days, frankly why get ripped off when we have the choice to boycott such rip offs.

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:58 pm

They have always had an aggressive bunch of tankheads following Citeh and most of them tend to position themselves next to the away end. A group of them at the bottom left of the away end seemed proper riled up in the second half for some reason including their own Wealdstone Raider, a bloke in his late 50' with glasses who was giving it the Charlie Big Potatoes.

Getting away is always a pain waiting for the Metrolink but the pints of Landlord in the Peveril post match dulled the pain of our pounding somewhat.

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:41 pm

Stockport fans with handbags..........

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:45 pm

We relish spending on the pitch but can't handle the trapping it brings off it.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:04 am

bfcjg wrote:Didn't go yesterday but agree with your points. When the Arab gets bored and pulls his investment the Etihad complex will turn into one of those clapped out rusty fairgrounds that peaked in the sixties.
It wont though as theyre building what will be the most self sufficient and most appealing club going.

Never minded city. Even when they used to tank us but do agree that playing in these new stadiums is pretty **** though. Especially those which are rammed with tourists.

As I said on a few other threads though. With a handful of exceptions the atmosphere throught English grounds is abysmal.

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:24 am

It was a good day out barring a couple of hours between 3pm and 5pm when Kompany should have been in a taxi to Strangeways.

A bus from Accrington to what should have been Victoria except Deansgate was closed because of the moronic marches in Piccadilly where we had planned to meet.

So a change of plan and into the aptly named Yates's in Printworks for 11.45am and a pint of Guinness waiting on the bar courtesy of Flixtonclaret.

The trains had been cancelled as had the majority of the trams so we had planned to walk to The Etihad via some of their 'Home fans only pubs'.

We do this now when we travel by train to away grounds just to listen to the home fans talking and having a chat with them.

We have done it at Liverpool, Everton, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Southampton, United.

So yesterday we went into the City Arms just off Princess St and it was just after midday.

We sat on a couple of bar stools and spread ourselves out.

After about fifteen minutes the City fans started to come to watch the United game and couldn't get to half of the very small bar for us two sat there with our pints. They were queued about four deep behind us when Flixton finished his pint and one of the bar staff asked him what he wanted next completely ignoring the City fans. It's a shame Guinness takes a long time to pour.

We knew that we were going to get stuffed yesterday so had to take every opportunity to milk it.

They are the most arrogant fans ever.

I can cope with talking to other away fans but not yesterday. They probably don't know there are leagues underneath the Prem.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:37 am

tybfc wrote: They are the most arrogant fans ever.
Cant agree more. Youre mate flixton and co sound like right arrogant bastards.
This user liked this post: DCWat

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:02 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Cant agree more. Youre mate flixton and co sound like right arrogant bastards.
A) Thanks for that.

B) You cannot spell.

C) There were no co.

D) You should be banned from here for using abusive language. But it isn't worth reporting children on the first day of half term.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:07 am

Tybfc.... I doubt the city fans were regulars, as its normally one of the roughest pubs around there, normally, behaviour like that and the women would have run you out of the place, never mind the men.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:32 am

Claretforshaw wrote:I think it was my fourth visit to watch the Clarets at the Etihad yesterday, and I have to say I didn't enjoy it and every time I go there I say "never again" for the following reasons:-
1. Getting there ( not so bad) and getting away from the ground (bad).
2. As an ageing traditionalist I dislike the "razzamatazz" around the ground before the match, I guess a lot of fans might disagree.
3. I don't like the Etihad,or similar modern concrete out of town stadiums, but that's just me, give me Turf Moor any day of the week.
4.The South stand level 1, I was in row B two years ago and row D yesterday, I can't see what is going on at the far end of the pitch and it is
necessary to stand up for the whole of the match, doesn't help my arthritis! Give me Jimmy Mac Upper all day long.
5. The food/ bar outlets, a choice of a pie, a hot dog , if you are lucky, or a mars bar/twix or a bag of crisps. A half full pint of Strongbow £5.50, I had
to request that they fill it up to the top, unless you go to the other bar where a pint of dark fruit Strongbow is £4.50. I have been to the home end in
the past and there is more choice, although a bag of chips is £5.00 ! I guess it is necessary for a club like Man City to squeeze every penny out of
the supporters to pay their players.
6. The fans..... do they remember where they were before the Arab money enabled them to compete with the top teams and pay silly money for their
players and their wages? I was at the end of the row nearest the City fans many of whom spent most of the match berating the Burnley fans,
gesticulating etc. mind you there were a few Burnley Fans doing the same,causing security, if you can call it that, some problems, quite
pathetic really.

I anticipated the result and accurately predicted the score, so its not "sour grapes", just not my idea of a good day out watching a football match and to me it is all I dislike about modern day football at the highest level completely ruined by the the money thrown at it by sponsors and sky etc. I really hope BFC doesn't sell its soul to the devil, even if it means playing at a lower level!!
What the hell is dark fruit Strongbow?

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:44 am

Grumps wrote:Tybfc.... I doubt the city fans were regulars, as its normally one of the roughest pubs around there, normally, behaviour like that and the women would have run you out of the place, never mind the men.
The City Arms is rough?? Hardly, you must be thinking of somewhere else.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:44 am

Got a corporate ticket on Saturday, then got bumped up to a 'platinum suite' due to some cock up. Free food and beer all day, fancy padded seats and all that crap. There was only one City fan in the box for 10, I was the only Claret.

It was an enjoyable day aside from the football. Seeing how the other half live but similar to watching a game on telly in a posh pub. I sampled the theme park atmosphere last year and wouldn't pay to experience it again.

Hard to believe it's the same club and surely still some of the same fans who used to make a visit to Moss Side so 'vibrant'.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:06 am

NottsClaret wrote:Got a corporate ticket on Saturday, then got bumped up to a 'platinum suite' due to some cock up. Free food and beer all day, fancy padded seats and all that crap. There was only one City fan in the box for 10, I was the only Claret.

It was an enjoyable day aside from the football. Seeing how the other half live but similar to watching a game on telly in a posh pub. I sampled the theme park atmosphere last year and wouldn't pay to experience it again.

Hard to believe it's the same club and surely still some of the same fans who used to make a visit to Moss Side so 'vibrant'.
We're you sat near Jimmy Anderson or Noel Gallagher?

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:08 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:We're you sat near Jimmy Anderson or Noel Gallagher?
Remember when their celeb fan was Eddie Large? They've even revamped their hangers-on.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony BFCmaj

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:20 am

NottsClaret wrote:Remember when their celeb fan was Eddie Large? They've even revamped their hangers-on.
I remember when it wss frank sidebottom!!!!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:20 am

tybfc wrote:A) Thanks for that.

B) You cannot spell.

C) There were no co.

D) You should be banned from here for using abusive language. But it isn't worth reporting children on the first day of half term.
:lol:

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:14 am

NottsClaret wrote:Remember when their celeb fan was Eddie Large? They've even revamped their hangers-on.
I was at secondary school in Salford between 1963-1970 and cannot recall anyone who claimed to be a City fan. The only exception was a lad called Ged Keegan,about 3 years below me who was 'on their books' as a schoolboy. He did go on to play in the first team and actually picked up a winners medal from the League Cup Final of 1976.

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:22 pm

Highlight was Kozel in the northern quarter
Late X41 back was pretty funny as well
Shame there was a minor sporting event in the middle of it all