The PL Has Moved On

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 790 times

The PL Has Moved On

Post by warksclaret » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:52 pm

I raised this about 5 weeks ago and got shot down. I cited Brighton, Bournemouth, Wolves and Watford, but was told they would not keep it up. Even Dyche in his interview has said the top 6 have moved on-so its throughout the Division that's happened and I am not quite sure if we have stood still or gone backwards. I sense net-wise backwards

We played brilliantly defensively last year v Utd away, Liverpool away, Chelsea away, Spurs away now its whether we can keep the score to 4 or 5.Is it me or have we lost the physicality to our game. Our strikers are largely the two that played in the Championship that cost us a million pound combined then two money breaking transfers that are not getting a game.

Lets hope recruiting a Director Of Football is better than the player recruitment. I was at the Leicester game yesterday and saw Antonio come on for the last 15 minutes. Wow what a player to have up front-he played the lone game as they were down to 10 men. Blistering pace and aggression and he was giving McGuire a hard game. Just someone that was available pre-season
These 2 users liked this post: agreenwood theroyaldyche

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Re: The PL Has Moved On

Post by jurek » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:12 pm

Have to agree warksclaret.

Most teams that were in the Premiership last season have moved on apart from
possibly Newcastle and Southampton.

We clearly haven't. If anything we're moving backwards and apart from a few false
promising games early on against Southampton and in part Bournemouth we've been lucky to get
those 8 points on the board. That and Hart's performances in goal.

Cardiff, Huddersfield might be below us but are trying hard and at least
giving their opponents a game even though they end up losing.
Can't see us getting another 4 points from them in the return games if we don't improve.

The bad news is that unless there is a considerable improvement in performances before Xmas
then we will be either in the bottom three or very close to it.

It's going to take a minor miracle (yet another?) for us to claw our way out of trouble
unless we can manage to both improve our performances and get two or three in over January
who can improve our game.

Dyche must be wracking his brain but he seems a little lost at present and doesn't yet know
his best team. He hasn't got too much to play with in terms of personal and can't really change
it that much in terms of tactics and formation either. Having said that he's going to have to
take a few risks and possibly give Vydra a go sooner or later. Maybe Gibson too? When he's fit.
He's going to have to do something with Wood too. Not quite sure what but a player
who last season (especially early on) looked as if he could be the one to bag a dozen or more goals for us.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:18 pm

We do not have the same goalkeeper though do we? Whether that is the reason or not, when did we last ship 5 then 4 in this division. We are rapidly going back to the OC regime defence wise. 10 games and shipped 4 twice, 5 once, 3 once.against the teams we have played thus far last season we have conceded 5 more than last season (11 when last time it was 6) (I think)

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:20 pm

We didnt strengthen the team in the summer. If you stand still in football you go backwards particularly in the Premier League.We signed 2 squad players and another Goalkeeper when we already had 2 England Internationals.
These 2 users liked this post: scouseclaret Greenmile

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4842 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:26 pm

I don’t think we’ll go down. I think there’ll be at least five teams below us.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:27 pm

Games against the top six are largely a waste of time for everyone else, they're that far ahead. For many fans it's just an opportunity to see the top players, the atmosphere today told it's own story.

It's a largely anti-competitive league, no one will break that top 6 again this season. Last season's achievement will be almost impossible to replicate, which is why we should have gone all out in Europe.

Also, it's about time lunchtime kick off were scrapped. Killing football.
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies houseboy

Goody1975
Been Liked: 992 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:28 pm

With the recent spate of new contracts being handed out, it is leaving the club with very little room to overhaul the squad without it becoming bloated, that is if the manager thinks he needs additions.

Hendrick, Walters, Bardsley and possibly Ward could leave next summer but i certainly can't see Hendrick being allowed to leave for nothing so would expect him to be offered a new deal as well.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:29 pm

Since Leicester won it, moves have been made to ensure a similar outcome is never repeated.
These 2 users liked this post: Steve1956 Colburn_Claret

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:37 pm

We did strenghten though. We brought in a superb central defender in Gibson, who will replace Mee eventually, we've brought Hart in, and we've got Vydra.
Last edited by FactualFrank on Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:39 pm

How did we strengthen the team in the summer ?

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:40 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:Games against the top six are largely a waste of time for everyone else, they're that far ahead. For many fans it's just an opportunity to see the top players, the atmosphere today told it's own story.

It's a largely anti-competitive league, no one will break that top 6 again this season. Last season's achievement will be almost impossible to replicate, which is why we should have gone all out in Europe.

Also, it's about time lunchtime kick off were scrapped. Killing football.
I'd prefer all matches to start between noon and 1pm (apart from midweeks!). Gives you more of your day back.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:41 pm

jdrobbo wrote:I don’t think we’ll go down. I think there’ll be at least five teams below us.
That's more depressing than thinking we'll go down. That'd mean we'll get the same sh*t next season.

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:43 pm

It's largely becoming a bit of a myth this malarkey about any side can beat any other.

There was a stat trotted out last week, that in the last 33 games against the traditional top 6, the bottom 13 teams have got 5 points, not sure whether that is correct but i bet it aint far off.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:51 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:How did we strengthen the team in the summer ?
Indeed. Apart from Joe Hart - and a new goalkeeper wasn’t top of many people’s list of priorities - nobody who played today wasn’t here last season, and I’m starting to miss Scott Arfield. We’re certainly missing a fully fit Dean Marney!

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:54 pm

And it was our ability last season to take points off the top 6-7 clubs that got us to 7th place. Sides that did good business in Summer ie Brighton, Wolves and Everton have gone a long way to secure their PL future

Funny how Cardiff, Huddersfield, Palace & Newcastle who did little in the market are not looking good so far. Bournemouth are seeing the rewards of shrewd purchases made last season. WHU I know spent a lot but not come good , but I saw them yesterday and they look a decent team-not looking forward to playing them next week

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:03 pm

warksclaret wrote:And it was our ability last season to take points off the top 6-7 clubs that got us to 7th place. Sides that did good business in Summer ie Brighton, Wolves and Everton have gone a long way to secure their PL future

Funny how Cardiff, Huddersfield, Palace & Newcastle who did little in the market are not looking good so far. Bournemouth are seeing the rewards of shrewd purchases made last season. WHU I know spent a lot but not come good , but I saw them yesterday and they look a decent team-not looking forward to playing them next week
Against the big six clubs we got 7 pts last Season.

And funnily enough no one seems to mention the amount Fulham spent

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:07 pm

I wouldn't mind a few of their players Spijed. They hit us for four don't forget-the same as Chelsea today.Personally I think the manager will be one of the fist PL casualties-seems to tinker too much with the team and looks out of his depth-his body language on interview was poor

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:18 pm

Spijed wrote:Against the big six clubs we got 7 pts last Season.
Yes, but apart from Arsenal at the end of the season, none of them turned us over as easily as City and Chelsea have. The truth is we’ve been going backwards since the January window.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:52 pm

I don’t think the Premier League has moved on it’s the top 6 that have, I was looking at the season 2016/17 and after 10 games we were 10th with 13 points with the bottom 3 having 8,8 and 7 points respectively. Compare that to this year and we have 8 points and are in 15th with the bottom 3 on 5,3 and 3 points respectively which points to a widening gap. Dyche is right in the fact that hundreds of millions get you to where Chelsea are but spending £50 mil is no guarantee to a higher position up the league. Do I think we had a bad summer transfer window and I would say yes and that is why we should have our January targets primed and ready and not try to sign them in a Little Chef on the M6 like when Stan tried to sign a young Peter Crouch

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:39 pm

scouseclaret wrote:Yes, but apart from Arsenal at the end of the season, none of them turned us over as easily as City and Chelsea have. The truth is we’ve been going backwards since the January window.
Let's not forget two seasons ago we finished 16th and then suddenly jumped to 7th without spending much.

We are probably falling back to our realistic position in the bottom half, not necessarily going backwards.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:28 am

Spijed wrote:Let's not forget two seasons ago we finished 16th and then suddenly jumped to 7th without spending much.

We are probably falling back to our realistic position in the bottom half, not necessarily going backwards.
I think it's some of the fans being backwards tbh.

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:39 am

No..its definitely the team going backwards.Fans not responsible for our overwhelmingly poor performances for almost 12 months now in any way whatsoever

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:48 am

Dy1geo wrote:I don’t think the Premier League has moved on it’s the top 6 that have, I was looking at the season 2016/17 and after 10 games we were 10th with 13 points with the bottom 3 having 8,8 and 7 points respectively. Compare that to this year and we have 8 points and are in 15th with the bottom 3 on 5,3 and 3 points respectively which points to a widening gap. Dyche is right in the fact that hundreds of millions get you to where Chelsea are but spending £50 mil is no guarantee to a higher position up the league. Do I think we had a bad summer transfer window and I would say yes and that is why we should have our January targets primed and ready and not try to sign them in a Little Chef on the M6 like when Stan tried to sign a young Peter Crouch
I agree with this as I was thinking the same thing myself this weekend. The big six have so much spending power now it is unreal. It's not just rich owners either now. Continually being in the top 4 and playing every season in the Champions League is bringing it's own financial rewards regardless of who the owners are. The only way forward now, in my opinion, is to get the go-ahead for a Euro super league, get rid of our top 6 (or at least 4 of them) and move on to a league that is truly competitive in terms of a larger number of teams vying for top positions. When you watch teams like City, Chelsea and Liverpool they are so far ahead of anyone else it is soul destroying to watch. They have so much money at the top now they are (and have been for a long time) buying players they simply don't need just to stop the opposition having them. If it were any other industry they would be answerable to the monopolies comission.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:57 am

From The Guardian.
In total, the bottom six have conjured up 30 points, easily the lowest total of recent seasons. This time last year, the cumulative figure was 46. In 2016 it was 43, in 2015 44, and in 2014 it was 50. The implication being: a lower points total might be enough to stay up. So not quite time to panic just yet then.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:58 am

Outside the top 6 it's a free for all. Last year was our turn, this year it looks like Bournemouth or Watford. Next year it could be us again.
We have 2 problems defensively.
Firstly we don't have the pace to cover midfield mistakes. Teams break on us and we really struggle.
Secondly we've stopped covering the corners of the net. The science behind our defence was to force the opposition into areas that they don't want to be, and leave them with their only option of a shot, is straight at the keeper. We've let in goals from outside the area, edge of the box, that go just inside the post and leave Hart no chance. It wouldn't have happened in previous seasons and the team need to get back to it.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

Murger
Been Liked: 1244 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Post by Murger » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:58 am

It's not the fans fault we're conceding goals for fun. It's not the fans fault we can't string 2 passes together. It's not the fans fault we hoof it at every opportunity. We as a team are going backwards at a rapid rate.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:03 am

I'd hate to win every week it would surely get Boring....I'd hate for our players to cheat also. Were Burnley.. We win some we lose some. Yesterday for 15 minutes we tried playing passing football against a top side...cos that's what Burnley fans want. We soon got exposed though.against lesser?teams adopting that approach will get us points I'm sure.
This user liked this post: dsr

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:10 am

Stan Tastic wrote:From The Guardian.
Surely it should be the bottom eight as it currently stands as we have the same points as Palace & West Ham?

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:17 am

Limp defending (by midfield too) means we are in the bottom chunk not the top chunk. Biggest issue.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3347 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:43 am

Our dealings in the summer transfer window could only be described as lackluster at best and although we definitely targeted certain players and certain positions we drew the line and refused to budge at a pretty low point I think and didn't seem to have much in the way of serious back up plans. I believe that was because the board, and possibly SD too, felt that when all said and done the same group of players who got us to 7th and into Europe were going to be around this season and we'd be absolutely fine. What they didn't see coming was how much the PL was moving on right under their noses and what an absolutely monumental effort it took for that group of players to achieve what they did last season and how it was extremely unlikely they'd be able to replicate it. As I said on another thread, the appointment of this "technical director" to make our transfer dealings far more coherent is a step in the right direction, but could well be too late and a case of "shutting the stable door..."

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:48 am

I suspect spending by clubs hasn't gone up any more than in previous seasons, when you take into account inflation/wages, TV money etc.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:52 am

warksclaret wrote:I raised this about 5 weeks ago and got shot down. I cited Brighton, Bournemouth, Wolves and Watford, but was told they would not keep it up. Even Dyche in his interview has said the top 6 have moved on-so its throughout the Division that's happened and I am not quite sure if we have stood still or gone backwards. I sense net-wise backwards

We played brilliantly defensively last year v Utd away, Liverpool away, Chelsea away, Spurs away now its whether we can keep the score to 4 or 5.Is it me or have we lost the physicality to our game. Our strikers are largely the two that played in the Championship that cost us a million pound combined then two money breaking transfers that are not getting a game.

Lets hope recruiting a Director Of Football is better than the player recruitment. I was at the Leicester game yesterday and saw Antonio come on for the last 15 minutes. Wow what a player to have up front-he played the lone game as they were down to 10 men. Blistering pace and aggression and he was giving McGuire a hard game. Just someone that was available pre-season
Thats the best post ive seen on here for some time

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 188 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:05 am

The PL has moved on but Burnley have also gone backwards. Only Cardiff and Fulham have let in more goals that us, two promoted sides. Last season only the top five conceded less, and only United and City significantly less. You could argue we had a Champions League standard back five, but this year it's Championship standard. Apart from Pope it is virtually the same players so it is really baffling and most worryingly Dyche or the players don't seem to know what's wrong, as it could easily have been 10 on Saturday. OK it's Chelsea etc., It could also have been 10 against Fulham as well.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:20 am

Have to agree it's moved on, we haven't unfortunately. We need a clear out. I agree with the poster that mentioned Antonio, that's exactly what we should be looking for. The premier league is all about pace and agression, something we really lack. If we can manage to stay up the Directors are going to have to dig deeper that ever, otherwise we're only going one way.

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:21 pm

Confidence plays a big part in things. There were some good signs at times yesterday, but for nowhere near long enough. As soon as Chelsea got on top our heads dropped. There’s a worrying issue that teams are getting in behind too easily and I think Gibson needs to be given a chance when fit. The team that played yesterday will do ok if given chance. I’d argue that Pope is a better all round keeper than Hart, though that’s not taking anything away from Hart’s shot stopping. I’d also question how Vokes has gone from a bit part player last season to first choice now. Barnes brings a physical presence that we really lack in general. Would be nice to see if Vydra can bring a different slant on things to the lone striker role.

Fans do play a big part though. The cheering of Hendricks substitution was a disgrace. It was a minority, but a very vocal one. This is not supporting and it will not make Hendrick play better. Henrick is arguably the most important player in the team now. We know the majority of fans wouldn’t pick him there, but it’s very unlikely that any of the dissenters would have got us to 7th place in the Premier League. He’s not there to play the number 10 roles that people see the best teams playing. Even if we wanted that, other than a left field choice of someone like JBG, there’s no one else to play there. It’s such a bespoke role, I don’t think there’s anyway to label what he does. He does have the energy and pace to get forward from midfield to support a lone striker. He has the defensive acumen to cover when players like Cork and Defour do break from midfield. So it’s play Hendrick there, or resort to 4-4-2 which will see us dominated week in week out. Hopefully we’ll bring in an alternative option in January, but that’s some way off yet and there’s a lot of points to play for. Get behind all the players no matter what you think of them, and play a part in helping that confidence return.

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:05 pm

Spijed wrote:Let's not forget two seasons ago we finished 16th and then suddenly jumped to 7th without spending much.

It’s not the results that worry me so much as the manner of the defeats. We’re shipping goals in a way we’ve never done before under SD, regardless of where we finished in the league, or which league we were in.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:20 pm

Mf Dyche is trying to move us on. However, against the top six, our best unit contained Arfield and Boyd, who provided the engines and never say did attitude which positively enhanced the rest.

Longer term, the plan is to get away from 442 and be more fluid. However, I think we are still a 442 team, without those engines, which makes us worse.

Tome will tell if we can get through this or be caught between all systems...as has happened to others.

ClaretRock
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by ClaretRock » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:10 pm

I just think the press we used to put on teams when they had the ball gave them less of an opportunity to create attacks through our back 4. The desire to do that and prove we can give any team a game and prove the doubters wrong doesn't seem to be there like it was in previous seasons. Yeh we could have brought in more players but it would help if the players we have are all pulling in the same direction.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:41 pm

We gave Chelsea too much time on the ball yesterday. Alonso had so much freedom at times.

We’re still stuck in the old ways with more “talented” players being asked to play roles that Boyd/Arfield can do so much better. At times I don’t even know how were supposed to be playing.

I get the impression with us is that we focus on our opponents far to much rather than ourselves. Regardless of whomwere playing. With the likes of Watford/Bournemouth they’ll focus on how we can hurt the opposition. Wether that’s City/Chelsea or Barnet.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:14 pm

So, is everyone who posted in this thread still of the opinion that the Premier league has moved on, but we haven't?

alboclaret
Been Liked: 143 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by alboclaret » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:35 pm

I didn't post on this thread but I do believe that the PL has moved forward (on) in the last 12 months.
and I do believe we pretty much stood still in this time.

that aside performances' were poor, very poor at time.
I believe SD has hinted if not admitted this

the fact that performances' generally picked up since Liverpool at home (everton aside) is a massive positive as well as winning 4 games recently which has given us a chance. this for me doesn't mask that we stood still IMHO and these are all games we should be looking to win.

we have given ourselves a chance now, I still think there is alot to do. these recent wins were very much needed but in my eyes we could do with a win or 2 of the unexpected type to be sure of staying up. i.e tomorrow would be a start. old Trafford is unrealistic, Leicester away (is that still to come) would be the type I mean.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2635 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:44 pm

alboclaret wrote:I didn't post on this thread but I do believe that the PL has moved forward (on) in the last 12 months.
and I do believe we pretty much stood still in this time.

that aside performances' were poor, very poor at time.
I believe SD has hinted if not admitted this

the fact that performances' generally picked up since Liverpool at home (everton aside) is a massive positive as well as winning 4 games recently which has given us a chance. this for me doesn't mask that we stood still IMHO and these are all games we should be looking to win.

we have given ourselves a chance now, I still think there is alot to do. these recent wins were very much needed but in my eyes we could do with a win or 2 of the unexpected type to be sure of staying up. i.e tomorrow would be a start. old Trafford is unrealistic, Leicester away (is that still to come) would be the type I mean.
We drew 0-0 at Leicester not long after the helicopter crash. I also don't think that Old Trafford is unrealistic but we shall see.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:55 pm

The fans are even considered less with a plethora of random Friday Monday Midday early evenings and mad midweek games we can't attend(Newcastle away)
Its not going to change back to 3pm Sat while Sky control football

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2635 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:59 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:The fans are even considered less with a plethora of random Friday Monday Midday early evenings and mad midweek games we can't attend(Newcastle away)
Its not going to change back to 3pm Sat while Sky control football
I love a midweek game at Newcastle ---it is my only home game this season!
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:26 pm

I was the opening post-several months ago. I believe a number of clubs have managed to "buy security". This includes the top teams ie Liverpool with an excellent new goalie and centre half of the highest quality may have bought themselves the title. Several mid table sides should be mixing it at the bottom but are virtually sure of safety through acquisitions ie Brighton, West Ham, Watford, Bournemouth though they had a dreadful run recently. Fulham have spent big but not got the best out of their players. Newcastle, Palace and Huddersfield were quiet in this area-look at them now.
We are lightweight in midfield, not threatening on the flanks (though Dwights arrival has been fantastic) and two of our main strikers are from our Chapionship era and not up to the finishing of some of the teams at the bottom

I think we need to count ourselves lucky in having SD who can make Championship players "hold their own in the PL) and the 3 straight league wins have given us all the belief of survival

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:43 pm

warksclaret wrote:I was the opening post-several months ago. I believe a number of clubs have managed to "buy security". This includes the top teams ie Liverpool with an excellent new goalie and centre half of the highest quality may have bought themselves the title. Several mid table sides should be mixing it at the bottom but are virtually sure of safety through acquisitions ie Brighton, West Ham, Watford, Bournemouth though they had a dreadful run recently. Fulham have spent big but not got the best out of their players. Newcastle, Palace and Huddersfield were quiet in this area-look at them now.
We are lightweight in midfield, not threatening on the flanks (though Dwights arrival has been fantastic) and two of our main strikers are from our Chapionship era and not up to the finishing of some of the teams at the bottom

I think we need to count ourselves lucky in having SD who can make Championship players "hold their own in the PL) and the 3 straight league wins have given us all the belief of survival
If we win tomorrow there is a very good chance we will be two points behind Brighton. I'd hardly call them safe.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:04 pm

I would give anything to be in Brightons position. 3 wins and a draw and that should secure safety. 16 games to go with 7 wins achieved to date. Good squad with good cover for injuries/suspensions

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:11 pm

warksclaret wrote: We are lightweight in midfield, not threatening on the flanks (though Dwights arrival has been fantastic) and two of our main strikers are from our Chapionship era and not up to the finishing of some of the teams at the bottom

Our championship strikers scored 10 goals apiece last season, and could be on to do similar this season.

If they scored more than this, someone with more money than us would be tapping them up right now.

Also there are lots of teams down the bottom of the league that would love a striker who could score 10 goals a season.

Are there better strikers out there, undoubtedly, but I think we are lucky to have the strikers we do. The last few weeks and the winning run has proved one thing above all else, that if you play attacking football, and play to a strikers strengths, then we can score. Kane would have struggled first half of the season if he had played for us.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:26 pm

warksclaret wrote:I would give anything to be in Brightons position. 3 wins and a draw and that should secure safety. 16 games to go with 7 wins achieved to date. Good squad with good cover for injuries/suspensions
Brighton are just three points better off than they were last season.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:37 pm

Three points could end up separating 5 or more teams -whats the PL worth £130m ???. As SD says its "fine margins"

As for our strikers don't think they are pulling up any trees Colburn. If we look at all clubs below us

Mitrovic Fulham 8 Signed this season as permanent
Ings Saints 8 Signed this season
Rondom Newcastle 6 Signed this season
Redmond Saints 5
Paterson Cardiff 4
Barnes 4
Wood 4