Hendrick Substitution

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
JoeAM89
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Hendrick Substitution

Post by JoeAM89 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:29 pm

If you were one of those that sarcastically clapped and cheered when Hendrick got subbed, then have a word with yourself. Embarrassing behaviour.
These 12 users liked this post: Jamesy bfcjg Foulthrow fidelcastro gawthorpe_view bodge KlyBfc Leisure Steddyman Burnley Ace evensteadiereddie BabylonClaret

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Re: Hendrick Substitution

Post by bfccrazy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Embarrassing that.
This user liked this post: gawthorpe_view

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:29 pm

great first post :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:31 pm

JoeAM89 wrote:If you were one of those that sarcastically clapped and cheered when Hendrick got subbed, then have a word with yourself. Embarrassing behaviour.
Agree with that 100% - and he was by no means our worst player today but he's the latest target and has been for a while. He's the one who gave the ball away for the crucial first goal, admittedly, but I still think we look a better side with him than without him.
These 4 users liked this post: JoeAM89 Cirrus_Minor RalphCoatesComb KlyBfc

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:34 pm

He should change his name to Jay Rodriguez and fans would swoon over him.

He’s played well in CM this season

Why have we signed a no10 and then taken Hendrick out of CM (where he plays well) and moved him to no10 where he doesn’t fit.

ClaretJimmy
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by ClaretJimmy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:36 pm

Agree totally, absolutely pathetic from our so called supporters. To whoop and cheer one of your own players being taken off is a disgrace and I can't understand why he gets picked on week in week out.
These 2 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland bfcjg

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:38 pm

He was really poor today and should've been hooked much earlier. At fault for the first goal which was key to how the game then panned out. Dreadful from some (many) supporters though.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:39 pm

JoeAM89 wrote:If you were one of those that sarcastically clapped and cheered when Hendrick got subbed, then have a word with yourself. Embarrassing behaviour.
Rightly so. He brings nothing to the table

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:40 pm

bfccrazy wrote:He should change his name to Jay Rodriguez and fans would swoon over him.

Why have we signed a no10 and then taken Hendrick out of CM (where he plays well) and moved him to no10 where he doesn’t fit.
I keep my fingers crossed we never resign him

JoeAM89
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by JoeAM89 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:40 pm

bfccrazy wrote:He should change his name to Jay Rodriguez and fans would swoon over him.

I agree, he’s looked much better in CM. He should be played there alongside Defour now Cork’s probably going to be out.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3843 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:40 pm

Best bit of the game Jeff getting subbed. I was quite surprised just how much of the ground cheered but he is woeful.
Half hearted pressing and passing backwards is all he produces game after game.

I do hope he does something for us because it's not nice to see one of our players out of his depth.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:43 pm

or maybe people were being sarcastic towards the manager and his bizarre decision to once again hang Hendrick out to dry by playing him there in the first place......
This user liked this post: burnleymik

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:44 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Best bit of the game Jeff getting subbed. I was quite surprised just how much of the ground cheered but he is woeful.
Half hearted pressing and passing backwards is all he produces game after game.

I do hope he does something for us because it's not nice to see one of our players out of his depth.
Hes a championship player at best

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:48 pm

He was very poor today but I fully agree with the OP. It was embarrassing - whilst I had no intention of applauding his performance today, I felt obliged after the ironic cheers and jeers.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:49 pm

I was clapping sincerely.

Pommieclaret
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Pommieclaret » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:56 pm

Get a grip.. The guy is a central midfielder not a number 10. Why do Burnley fans have to have a scape goat. You could choose any 1 of 11 today or even last week. We need to learn to play for 90 mins. Twice in two weeks we have conceded2 goals within minutes of each other. Play people in the positions they are comfortable in. Mee and Tarks played like they haven't played together before and wasn't it Mee who played Hendricks a hospital ball that led to the first where Morato went through the centre of our defence!!!

Rant over
These 3 users liked this post: The Enclosure Jamesy BabylonClaret

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:00 pm

I believe some were clapping for Dyche realising that playing one up front at home was the wrong tactic

It was a poor afternoon which started out so brightly as I had some short term optimism after first 5-10 mins that we may actually compete in the game.

I was more embarrassed about having a half empty stadium at 85 mins...*

(*don't take half empty too figuratively...)

Was poor tactics, poor decision making from players that put more pressure on us and a poor performance from the crowd too but it gets hard when you have a game of watching the ball and watching it go straight back to the opposition when we do eventually get it.

I couldn't be arsed singing today so Im guilty for the atmoshpere too - apologies but Im getting fatigue of watching football at the moment - us struggling isn't helping at the moment either.

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:02 pm

Pommieclaret wrote:Get a grip.. The guy is a central midfielder not a number 10. Why do Burnley fans have to have a scape goat. You could choose any 1 of 11 today or even last week. We need to learn to play for 90 mins. Twice in two weeks we have conceded2 goals within minutes of each other. Play people in the positions they are comfortable in. Mee and Tarks played like they haven't played together before and wasn't it Mee who played Hendricks a hospital ball that led to the first where Morato went through the centre of our defence!!!

Rant over
He shouldnt be playing there your right

Dyche should have barnes or vokes there with vydra up front.

Vokes wins every header from.our goal kicks. We need some1 to run off him and vydra needs that opp

Dom
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 218 times

Post by Dom » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:04 pm

clarethomer wrote:I believe some were clapping for Dyche realising that playing one up front at home was the wrong tactic

It was a poor afternoon which started out so brightly as I had some short term optimism after first 5-10 mins that we may actually compete in the game.

Was poor tactics, poor decision making from players that put more pressure on us and a poor performance from the crowd too but it gets hard when you have a game of watching the ball and watching it go straight back to the opposition when we do eventually get it.

I couldn't be arsed singing today so Im guilty for the atmoshpere too - apologies but Im getting fatigue of watching football at the moment - us struggling isn't helping at the moment either.
I was surprised people stayed for 85 minutes. I was tempted to go home at the hour mark. Miserable afternoon.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:08 pm

It was an awful, really squirming moment. Not sure Dyche was correct to take him off- he deserved the chance to slot in alongside Defour ahead of the well off colour Cork, and so he probably did him a disservice- but the reaction was dreadful to hear. Whether it was aimed at Hendrick, or at the manager is besides the point: that one club mentality is do precious and as fans we're shooting ourselves in the foot if we damage it.

Overall, Hendrick was fine today and a considerable way from our weakest link.
These 3 users liked this post: Tall Paul bodge BabylonClaret

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:08 pm

Tough day. We have real problems. We're not getting into the opposition's faces like we have in the past. Have Chelsea improved or have we gone backwards? Bit if both I think. Our defence is certainly not want it was

CaptainKirk
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by CaptainKirk » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:09 pm

I am pretty fed up with this "He's a No10 out of position" argument. I have been watching him for a long time now and I cannot see what he has to offer. I thought maximum effort was the minimum requirement and he certainly does not give that either.

Il Duce
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Il Duce » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:09 pm

Sadly it’s becoming all too common that sections of our support turn on either an individual (Hendrick), the team, and/or Dyche.

I think a mixture of the lofty heights of last season and the fact that it’s our third Premier League campaign has led a certain number of our supporters to have massively unreal expectations.

Yes the team aren’t playing too well, yes some individuals aren’t playing too well, yes some of Dyche’s decisions are sometimes strange, but our performances as fans in terms of offering support has been pretty poor too.

We are Burnley and we definitely perform better when everybody, fans included, are pulling in the same direction.

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:09 pm

certainly was Dom.

We are better than what we have seen so far this season - I certainly have no lofty expectations of league dominance but we are no longer as intense as we once were - whether that is because we are trying to adapt our style of play or learn - Im not sure.

I am glad to see defour and brady back - hopefully we will see some better play going forward..
Last edited by clarethomer on Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:10 pm

ClaretJimmy wrote:I can't understand why he gets picked on week in week out.
I can't understand why he gets picked week in week out.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:11 pm

Certainly better than Cork atm.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:17 pm

Agree with the OP and consensus of the the thread, but we've had a fall guy for all the time I've been watching. It's Hendrick at the moment.

It was highlighted for me shortly after Hendrick went off and Defour pulled out of a challenge, then gave away a sloppy pass within a few minutes. The crowd were silent. Hendrick would have got pelters.

Sheedyclaret
Been Liked: 169 times

Post by Sheedyclaret » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:19 pm

He was dreadful today even lacked effort

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:19 pm

Apart from the cock up for the first goal, trying to beat 3 players on his own, I thought he did ok. Cork was the weakest link in midfield. We looked a lot better today for an hour, and showed signs that we should be ok going forward. At least we don't have to play City and Chelsea every week. We still suffer from giving the ball away in midfield, teams at this level break so quickly and we aren't quick enough to get back and cover the mistakes. Jack is having a poor season and looked off the pace the whole game, just before he was subbed he looked absolutely knackered, and I wondered if he'd taken a knock in the first half that I'd missed.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:19 pm

The applause was possibly for different reasons from different people. But I doubt it was sarcastic. It was, I think, mostly people genuinely applauding Dyche's decision to finally do something they thought was long overdue in taking him off. Clearly some here disagree and thought he played all right. Such are opinions.
This user liked this post: burnleymik

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5003 times
Has Liked: 6721 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:21 pm

I cannot understand why we would insult a Burnley player. I always thought we were better then that.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:22 pm

I doubt he’ll be that bothered, he didn’t seem interested in playing football today

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:29 pm

I wouldn't single out a player for criticism today but thank you Joe for keeping it to four...

Longsidelenny
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Longsidelenny » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:35 pm

Hey teachers leave Hendrick alone

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:44 pm

bfcjg wrote:I cannot understand why we would insult a Burnley player. I always thought we were better then that.
Come on be fair. Burnley players do pretty well on the criticism front- the last one I can remember being quite so loud was aimed at Sordell at Port Vale and that was 3/4 years ago.

Hendrick offered absolutely nothing today. In fact there was a period of 15-20 minutes after the first goal when he didn’t even touch the ball. But I don’t think that’s just his fault- why Dyche couldn’t see he looked like little boy lost god only knows.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:52 pm

Very poor from a vocal minority today. It’s usually the brain-dead type that don’t care what other people think though so I doubt they’re embarrassed.

Hendrick is usually a safe bet to retain possession and show calmness on the ball, although clearly not the case in the build up to today’s opener. I would be interested to see him in a midfield alongside Defour considering the poor form of Cork. Although we would probably lack bite in midfield.
This user liked this post: Barry_Chuckle

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:57 pm

Flicking through the replies on here I can't see any mention how good Chelsea were. A lot of teams will be "awful" against Chelsea. The gulf grows ever wider.

The some of the reactions around me when Hendrick was hooked were embarrassing. They were probably the ones who applauded cork off who was dreadful, has been all season and injured himself committing a stupid foul.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:01 pm

NL Claret wrote:Flicking through the replies on here I can't see any mention how good Chelsea were. A lot of teams will be "awful" against Chelsea. The gulf grows ever wider.

The some of the reactions around me when Hendrick was hooked were embarrassing. They were probably the ones who applauded cork off who was dreadful, has been all season and injured himself committing a stupid foul.
As opposed to Hendrick who got himself booked just running up behind a Chelsea player and kicking him with the ball not anywhere near? Which then meant when players were running past him later he couldn't make a tackle in case he got another yellow?

Longsidebogs
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by Longsidebogs » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:09 pm

clarethomer wrote:I believe some were clapping for Dyche realising that playing one up front at home was the wrong tactic

Agree with all of that. I’ve watched Burnley for 40 odd years, and can’t remember feeling so so bored watching this team.it matters not that we are in the Premier league, it’s anti football we are watching. I’m a season ticket holder and unbelievably thought about not attending today. I honestly wish I hadn’t now. The manager and team need to take a long hard look at themselves. First 10-15 minutes very good. But please play your best team. What has Vydra done wrong? He simply has to play behind Sam Vokes! I left when Wood came on for Vokes. It clearly didn’t get any better!

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:09 pm

NL Claret wrote:Flicking through the replies on here I can't see any mention how good Chelsea were. A lot of teams will be "awful" against Chelsea. The gulf grows ever wider.

Not sure Chelsea got out of second gear

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:11 pm

DCWat wrote:Not sure Chelsea got out of second gear
I think they did. They had to raise us; we started well.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:15 pm

Longsidebogs wrote:Agree with all of that. I’ve watched Burnley for 40 odd years, and can’t remember feeling so so bored watching this team.it matters not that we are in the Premier league, it’s anti football we are watching. I’m a season ticket holder and unbelievably thought about not attending today. I honestly wish I hadn’t now. The manager and team need to take a long hard look at themselves. First 10-15 minutes very good. But please play your best team. What has Vydra done wrong? He simply has to play behind Sam Vokes! I left when Wood came on for Vokes. It clearly didn’t get any better!
Easy game from the sidelines.

We've gone back to 451 because it suits Defour. His legs have always been a bit suspect in a 442, and at the minute he's particularly vulnerable when we don't have the ball so Dyche is even keener to get extra legs around him.

I would have played a variant on 442 today, but the reasons Dyche didn't are pretty obvious, and ironically it's all about getting our best footballer into the game.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:19 pm

thatdberight wrote:As opposed to Hendrick who got himself booked just running up behind a Chelsea player and kicking him with the ball not anywhere near? Which then meant when players were running past him later he couldn't make a tackle in case he got another yellow?
Sorry I didn't hold that against him now and should have shouted fcuk off Hendrick when he was subbed. Cork was rubbish throughout yet gets a round of applause after injuring himself yet some of the crowd appreciate that. Struggling to get my head round it.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:27 pm

NL Claret wrote:Sorry I didn't hold that against him now and should have shouted fcuk off Hendrick when he was subbed. Cork was rubbish throughout yet gets a round of applause after injuring himself yet some of the crowd appreciate that. Struggling to get my head round it.
I don't understand your first sentence so can't reply.

Cork was very poor. Has been for about 10 months now. Played very well for about 15 games when he arrived. Since then, has really struggled for form.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:00 pm

seems the only person at Burnley Football Club that doesn't see that Hendrick isn't a number 10 is the manager

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:34 pm

That’s the good news about the bellend section who have been mouthing about walking away after this season. We will be spared their idiotic behaviour next season.

Just with they would go now they aren’t needed

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:37 pm

His second half performance was disgraceful. Any manager worth his salt would drop him. It’s no coincidence people cheered ,he was shocking!!

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:41 pm

Fault for the first goal?

The ball was slid as easy as you like between our two centre backs. Tarky just watched it go past him.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by burnleymik » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:46 pm

thatdberight wrote:The applause was possibly for different reasons from different people. But I doubt it was sarcastic. It was, I think, mostly people genuinely applauding Dyche's decision to finally do something they thought was long overdue in taking him off. Clearly some here disagree and thought he played all right. Such are opinions.
I thought this was what it was about too. I thought this was aimed more at Dyche than Hendrick, seemed that way from the grumbles around me too.

I think any Burnley fan realises that Hendrick is being told to do a job he isn't cut-out for. Clearly not his fault.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:49 pm

Shocking reaction to his substitution, he didn't ask to play in a position that clearly doesn't suit him. It was a joy to watch Chelsea today, football at its very best...us at its very worst.