So called supporters!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Inchy
Been Liked: 1334 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Re: So called supporters!

Post by Inchy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:22 am

I think I am getting bored of football in general. I always watch games on sky then end up turning it off half way through because it’s dull.

The style of football in the premier league is dull
These 2 users liked this post: Dyched SussexDon1inIreland

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1354 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:29 am

There are several posters on this thread who are needlessly justifying their reasons for leaving early, and it really isn't necessary.

You're entitled to do whatever you like. Just tell the self-appointed supporter police to wind their necks in and mind their own business.
These 4 users liked this post: nyclaret tim_noone Murger FactualFrank

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:35 am

I think it's a poor excuse to say that crowds will drop because they don't like the football when Man City can't even fill their ground!

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:15 am

We went with 10 minutes left, it was a bit boring. Already looking forward to the next match.

Anyway, we got home before dark and were treated to a magnificent sunset over the Woodhead Road. So if you really need a wafer thin justification to appease the true Clarets out there, that's mine.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:26 am

I've always stayed to the end.. But understood why a lot left 15 minutes into the second half though when a games tight it does puzzle me why anyone would leave.train /bus times apart.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2936 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:20 am

I stayed to the end yesterday as I always do, but when the board went up showing four additional minutes, I felt like I had been given detention at school.
This user liked this post: tybfc

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:27 pm

Guilty as charged. However in mitigation the Rifles had just put a new keg of Blonde on

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 357 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:38 am

Carport wrote:Cricket Field stand less than half full as the game went into extra time. Other stands similar. Why do so called supporters abandon the team when times are tough?
Your not abandoning the team, the players don’t care about supporters. Get that out your head.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:46 am

RocketLawnChair wrote:Everybody as a reason for leaving . Some need to get back to the internet to find out what Donald Trump as been up to in the two hours they've been away.
Always assuming they actually go on to see a match in the first place

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:09 am

What a ridiculous op. How does it make you less of a supporter when we pay our hard earned week in week out i'll never know

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:26 am

Longsidebovril wrote:There could be a million reasons for someone leaving early. And every one their business.
Parking
Long journey home
Child care
Job
Medical reasons
Boredom
Piles
Family commitments
They hate losing

Stay...leave....paint yourself Claret and blue and flagellate yourself with a match day programme. It’s all good.

It really is just a game.
Excellent post.

I'm so glad you posted this because if you hadn't I would have (or something very similar). I get sick to death of people on here banging on about others leaving early or not going or even not going very often. As you say there are many reasons for this but the fact is there doen't have to be a reason at all, it's called freedom of choice. It's not the army, it's not life and death, there is no code or rule says 'thou must attend every match and stay to the bitter end even when the players don't deserve it'. Stop telling others how to live their lives and dictating to them how to spend their hard earned cash, it's NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU.

I don't go to every game, in fact I might make less than half of them, but unlike others on here I am not going to apologise for that or give any reasons because I don't have to justify myself to anyone. Grow up all you who think that being a football fan means giving your life and soul to it, it's a bloody game.

Well said again Bovril, agree with you 100%.

Carport
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Carport » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:10 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:Your not abandoning the team, the players don’t care about supporters. Get that out your head.
That’s a very sweeping generalised statement. Do you genuinely believe that most players would be happy playing to an empty stadium which is what your comment implies?

I accept that some have to leave early for the genuine pressing reasons provided but so many explanations given are not in that category.

Maybe we need a different descriptive noun then such as ‘fan’ for those not as fussed about supporting their team through thick and thin to the end of the game. To my mind that person is not ‘supporting’ in the true sense of the word. Maybe I’m old school though.

corporal jones
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by corporal jones » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:37 pm

jdrobbo wrote:I nearly always leave with one minute to go, whether we’re winning 5-0, losing 5-0, winning by one, losing by one, or drawing. I never leave whilst the ball is in play as I think that’s disrespectful to those around me. That minute gets me home over 40 minutes quicker (Guiseley). I’m not apologising for my choices. If people choose to leave at half time, that’s their choice. They pay their money and they pay again two weeks later. I do consider myself to be a loyal supporter too, a damn loyal one.
so you missed barnes winner against palace a couple of years ago-probably the loudest most memorable 30 secs in BFC recent history. still-up to you.

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:49 pm

Carport wrote:Cricket Field stand less than half full as the game went into extra time. Other stands similar. Why do so called supporters abandon the team when times are tough?
Spat the dummies out of their prams and went home to play with their toy drum kits

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:57 pm

Supporters are just seen as customers these days. It's a PL thing.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:04 pm

100% agree Macca.you pays your money and you takes your choice.No need to give reasons for leaving early...

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:52 pm

“Abandoning” Jesus Christ.

People pay alot of money to watch football and can arrive or go whenever the hell they like. If professional footballers earning 10s of thousands a week can’t perform unless people are there and shouting then there is something very, very wrong.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:59 pm

Not sure how standing/sitting there in silence till the full time whistle when the game has already gone makes any difference to the team to be honest.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:23 pm

Carport wrote:That’s a very sweeping generalised statement. Do you genuinely believe that most players would be happy playing to an empty stadium which is what your comment implies?

I accept that some have to leave early for the genuine pressing reasons provided but so many explanations given are not in that category.

Maybe we need a different descriptive noun then such as ‘fan’ for those not as fussed about supporting their team through thick and thin to the end of the game. To my mind that person is not ‘supporting’ in the true sense of the word. Maybe I’m old school though.
Or maybe we should just accept that how people support their team is their business. What gives anyone the right to say what constitutes a fan and what doesn't? Who are you, or anyone else, to say how long anyone should stay? Arrogance beyond belief. Is someone who lives in Australia who supports Burnley any less of a fan because he/she can't get there often, or even ever? Is someone who is unemployed or low paid and who decides putting food on the table is marginally more important than watching football less of a fan? What about someone who isn't a season ticket holder? Or someone who can't tell you the team for the 1947 cup final? Get a grip and stop deciding what makes a 'proper' fan in your eyes. If someone leaves after 5 minutes have they paid any less than you? If someone buys a ticket then decides for what ever reason not to go any less than you? Have I ever left a game early because the team were playing sh!te and we had no chance of getting back in the game - yes, occasionally I have, so what. I've been a Claret all my life and that is never going to change even though there was a time, nothing to do with the club or where they were in the league, that I never set foot on the Turf for years, don't tell me I'm not a proper fan.

Rant over but I think you get my drift.
This user liked this post: holdyourfire

Carport

Post by Carport » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:39 pm

My posts here were simply about some people leaving matches early without in my opinion valid reason. I respect HB that you have a different opinion and believe that everyone who attends a match has the right to leave whenever they want. However, you’ve chosen to widen the discussion, providing examples outside of that scenario I posted about and it’s therefore a bit rich of you to have a pop at me about those! Some supporters of Burnley and many supporters of other teams will stay till to the end even if their team is getting well beaten in the hope that their support will encourage a late goal or two. Might not affect the overall result but goal difference can be important as we know. Conversely, do you not think that players are affected to the extent that they try a little bit less if they see the stadium half empty before the match even goes into injury time?

PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:58 pm

boatshed bill wrote:Supporters are just seen as customers these days. It's a PL thing.
No it was a Burnley thing long before we got in the PL.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2071 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:41 pm

I was a firm believer in staying until the end but was forced to away at Grimsby when Gazza was playing like he'd had 12 pints. The driver for the day wanted to beat traffic.
We left with about 20 minutes left at 3-0 down and had to walk past about 200 clarets who preferred standing outside the local off license having far more fun.
Last edited by Quickenthetempo on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:39 pm

I can't understand why someone would leave when the game is on a knife edge but everyone has their own reasons. I stayed to the end of the Man City humiliation under Laws but could understand why many left early. I didn't stay on Saturday because it was only ever going to be 3 or 4-0 and was frankly dull after some of the previous 90 minute non entertainments this season.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:13 am

Not arsed when anyone leaves, ground would be better if some didn't arrive nevermind leave early, but if you are going then go. The ones who make their way to the exits then wait for the whistle are the biggest pain in the arse blocking the view of others just to allow them to get out 10 seconds after the whistle.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:11 am

Carport wrote:My posts here were simply about some people leaving matches early without in my opinion valid reason. I respect HB that you have a different opinion and believe that everyone who attends a match has the right to leave whenever they want. However, you’ve chosen to widen the discussion, providing examples outside of that scenario I posted about and it’s therefore a bit rich of you to have a pop at me about those! Some supporters of Burnley and many supporters of other teams will stay till to the end even if their team is getting well beaten in the hope that their support will encourage a late goal or two. Might not affect the overall result but goal difference can be important as we know. Conversely, do you not think that players are affected to the extent that they try a little bit less if they see the stadium half empty before the match even goes into injury time?
The whole problem with your post is stated in your very first sentence here - 'leaving matches early without in my opinion valid reason'. That encapsulates everything I was on about. NOBODY NEEDS A VALID REASON FOR LEAVING A BLOODY FOOTBALL MATCH ANYTIME THEY LIKE. They are not at school or work or in prison. And nobody gives a toss about what your opinion is on that. To set yourself up as some kind of 'leaving early' policeman is IN MY OPINION arrogance of the highest order.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:24 am

Where we sit in the lower JM there are 4 or 5 fans who arrive late every single game, leave early for half time, come back late after half time and go to the loo regularly between all of that - and the rest of the row has to stand up whilst they shuffle past. Their “valid” reason for that is presumably they prefer drinking than watching football.

It pi-sses the rest of the row off but nowt much we can really do about it...other than move (or accidentally trip them up !!)
If someone wants to leave early then by definition they have a valid reason - whether that be needing to get home for something, miss the traffic or simply they do not want to watch anymore football....each to their own.
This user liked this post: houseboy

Bop
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:14 am

Never mind supporters; we’ve got history of a player leaving at half time.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:48 pm

Will be fun on here saturday night when west ham put another 3 past us without reply.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:04 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Will be fun on here saturday night when west ham put another 3 past us without reply.

yeah, you will be able to act like a little smacked arse all over again... and if we win you can forget your log in details til the next defeat.

Still I am sure you will get behind the lads shouting at your screen

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:15 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Will be fun on here saturday night when west ham put another 3 past us without reply.
No doubt you will treat yourself to another massive w-ank if that happens.
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:13 pm

What's the big deal?

We have been beaten by City and Chelsea and aren't playing well.
I still enjoy going and I'm looking forward to the next home game... I also tend to start leaving just before the end.
I didn't against Chelsea, mainly because my son wasn't with me, but also because I didn't see it so much as us being poor, but them being good.

As for 'So called supporters' wtf?
How dare they not enjoy seeing their team get beaten and want to leave.
Football is entertainment, played by footballers who are entertainers... if you aren't being entertained you have every right to leave. These 'so called supporters' aren't watching their kids playing football, but people paid a lot of money, from all around the world doing a job - and it just happens they do that job for the team 'they' support.
Last edited by JTClaret on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:14 pm

TVC15 wrote:No doubt you will treat yourself to another massive w-ank if that happens.

Ha what a muppet you are.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:15 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:yeah, you will be able to act like a little smacked arse all over again... and if we win you can forget your log in details til the next defeat.

Still I am sure you will get behind the lads shouting at your screen
No check out my player ratings for the Bournemouth win you clown.

Carport

Post by Carport » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:23 pm

houseboy wrote:The whole problem with your post is stated in your very first sentence here - 'leaving matches early without in my opinion valid reason'. That encapsulates everything I was on about. NOBODY NEEDS A VALID REASON FOR LEAVING A BLOODY FOOTBALL MATCH ANYTIME THEY LIKE. They are not at school or work or in prison. And nobody gives a toss about what your opinion is on that. To set yourself up as some kind of 'leaving early' policeman is IN MY OPINION arrogance of the highest order.
Maybe it’s a reflection on today’s must have the best right now society that we live in and a lack of willingness to stick with things that aren’t going well.

Ridiculous that you’re trying to make me out as some type of leave early policeman. Just expressing an opinion which is what UTC is about. Some will agree with me. Many won’t. I don’t have a problem with that unlike you as you seem to have felt it necessary to resorting to email shouting - use of capital letters!

J50
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by J50 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:30 pm

MACCA wrote:Yes, 4 please if possible.

I've got an adult and junior ticket as we can't make it now if interested. We live SW London though.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:19 am

J50 wrote:I've got an adult and junior ticket as we can't make it now if interested. We live SW London though.
Not now thank you,managed to get a full refund on all the train tickets.

Cheers anyway.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:21 am

This is tough reading. We stay until the final whistle it is our choice, I have a 2 and a half hours drive home so a few minutes is not going to have much of an impact on that. I normally get home between 7.15 and 7.45 and my life is prepared for that. If a chap on our row wants to get off early cause he has a youngster with him it is his choice, avoid the crowds their choice. To try and make out that someone leaving before the final whistle is less of a supporter is in my opinion complete and total hogwashery of the highest order. You pay your money you get your choices.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:59 am

Carport wrote:Maybe it’s a reflection on today’s must have the best right now society that we live in and a lack of willingness to stick with things that aren’t going well.

Ridiculous that you’re trying to make me out as some type of leave early policeman. Just expressing an opinion which is what UTC is about. Some will agree with me. Many won’t. I don’t have a problem with that unlike you as you seem to have felt it necessary to resorting to email shouting - use of capital letters!
Sorry. I apologise unreservedly for that. Got a couple of things going on at the moment that make me a little less than good natured. I believe everyone has a right to an opinion and an outburst like that is wrong of me.

Carport

Post by Carport » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:37 am

houseboy wrote:Sorry. I apologise unreservedly for that. Got a couple of things going on at the moment that make me a little less than good natured. I believe everyone has a right to an opinion and an outburst like that is wrong of me.
Thanks for having the good grace to apologise. Fully accepted. Matter and suggest thread closed. Useful for me to see others’ opinions too. Regards