Apathy towards football

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Apathy towards football

Post by clarethomer » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:24 pm

Im not sure whether it's age, just seeing our club struggle more and more as more money comes into the game or something else but I am really finding it difficult to be enthused by football at the moment.

I am finding even with streams - I can watch us away from the comfort of my sofa and find that I don't fully watch. Once upon a time, I would be following us all over the country, thinking about/discussing team selections and what the game may bring on a Saturday etc. and I could reel off who we were playing for the next 3-4-5 games. There was passion and enthusiasm with following the team.

Now it's more like - who we playing this week - when are we playing?

Think my love for football is slowly being drained - it's just not entertaining at the moment.

This isn't necessarily about today but today was the first time ever I looked at the clock and thought - how am I going to sit here for another 30 mins watching this.

The club are in their best era for a long time and I should be so pleased to be able to say that I have been there and witnessed us doing so well - just for whatever reason, trying to garner enthusiasm to watch us at the moment or have any interest in the game...

Need something to re-ignite my passion for the game.....
These 4 users liked this post: claretfern bumba Foulthrow CaptJohn

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Apathy towards football

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:27 pm

I understand it to an extent. You cant identify with the players. The celebrity lifestyle. And the diving and cheating is horrendous.

But I find myself going now trying to enjoy the day / atmosphere and if its a win its a bonus.

But the days out, memories, time with friends and family, common interest etc is priceless.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:31 pm

Did you say this last season?

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:32 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I understand it to an extent. You cant identify with the players. The celebrity lifestyle. And the diving and cheating is horrendous.

But I find myself going now trying to enjoy the day / atmosphere and if its a win its a bonus.

But the days out, memories, time with friends and family, common interest etc is priceless.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:37 pm

Totally agree. This PL lark really does suck the magic out of football. I've got as little interest in it as I've ever had. And this is from someone who has been accused of being obsessed with it on many occasions.

People think I'm mad when I say a game at home to Birmingham, for example, in the Championship genuinely whets my appetite far more than a game in PL with Chelsea and their horrible brand of preening, cheating spoilt brats. We wouldn't have as much money or as good players, but for me the lower leagues are far more enjoyable and I think I'll regain my love for football when we eventually return.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:43 pm

No I didn't say it last season - but I can say that I enjoyed our promotion year where we went 23 undefeated better than last year....

I enjoyed the first time of promotion where we hardly won.

The apathy is coming from the excitement of the game being lost - not necessarily about how Burnley are performing - although it certainly doesn't help.

It is like CF has said - we have millions of pounds in the game and the celebrity status that these riches bring but we are still poor in terms of the uneven playing field that we operate on.

Parkvilla
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Parkvilla » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:45 pm

Spot on.Had a season ticket for 3 decades but am frankly bored by the diving,cheating that goes on.If we stay up I don't think I will renew my season ticket cos I find it dull and boring.If we go down I will give it another year.Mr Garlick keep saying we are looking after the future may also be a problem cos don't we live for the now.
These 2 users liked this post: dougcollins MT03ALG

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5000 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:46 pm

If I didn't have a few beers and a catch up before and after the game I would have stopped going on a few years ago. Football is now just an industry.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:48 pm

Did anyone see I think it was Morata substituted today? Usually they walk slowly off, but he ran to the touch line before even the board was raised. Threw his mittens to the ground, muttered he was freezing to the bench, grabbed a coat and legged it laughing to the changing rooms.

He probably “earnt” 200 grand for that performance too. It’s just obscene.
These 2 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland MT03ALG

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:48 pm

It should be easy to get yourself up for a game against the likes of Chelsea, man United, Liverpool etc but the reality is that Sunday lunchtime kick off against a team who are on a completely different level to us isn't really anything to get excited about.

This season is the reality of the premier league, last season was the dream.

Paddy1882
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Paddy1882 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:51 pm

Completely agree gone off it big style!! Thought Willian was fantastic today then just spoils it with diving!! Going off everything about modern football at the moment!!
These 4 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland Bosscat MT03ALG The Enclosure

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:52 pm

'Mr Garlick keep saying we are looking after the future may also be a problem cos don't we live for the now.'

That's a really salient point you make. In my opinion.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:58 pm

I’m finding I’m bored with the proliferation of live games. Virtually every day a match and now 2 or 3 live games Sat & Sun and 2 every European night. I’m getting more selective and finding I enjoy the Championship more than anything except a PL top 6 battle.
This user liked this post: CaptJohn

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:01 pm

Most of us have spent the last 30 years hoping to see us play at the top again - it was an ambition to strive for. But now we’re here, and playing the top teams is no longer a novelty, the reality that this is as good as it gets has dawned.

It’s football as a metaphor for life!
This user liked this post: houseboy

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:27 pm

I'm bored of it more and more every game at the moment.

The only games that have excited me in recent months have been the Bournemouth and Olympiakos ones. I go back to the end of last season here as well, so basically 2 games in about 6 months. Feels like we're in a cycle of playing poorly against the lesser sides and rolling over for the big boys.

The officiating is getting worse as well. As good as Chelsea were today they were a disgrace to the game. Falling all over the place at the merest touch (David Luiz did two dives in the 2nd half that Tom Daley would be proud of), hounding the offcials after every single decision and just bringing the game into disrepute at every occasion.

I found myself wanting us to bring Bardsley on just so one of their lads would actually get kicked properly before going down and that's not healthy is it!!

The problem is it never gets spoken about. MoTD2 tonight will be all about how well they kept the ball and dominated the game. In reality we weren't allowed to get within a couple of yards of anyone without them play acting. What was the keeper doing at the end? I thought he'd broken his leg and the next minute he's up taking a goal kick like nothing happened. Rudiger is a big centre half who rolled over and actually looked over his shoulder whilst on the floor waiting for Hendrick to get a yellow card. As soon as the referee showed the yellow he was on his feet again, a miraculous recovery. I'm tired of the gamesmanship if I'm honest. Why is it acceptable?
These 5 users liked this post: scouseclaret cricketfieldclarets SussexDon1inIreland MT03ALG The Enclosure

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:55 pm

I was only chatting today to a mate in the pub at lunchtime today and saying how the good beer and the natter and the catch up are absolutely integral to the game these days and the footy itself is almost incidental. Seeing extremely expensive, ridiculously well paid and actually very talented individuals diving, cheating and seemingly being coached in how to con referees because it's now all "part and parcel of the game" really doesn't help tbh.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets MT03ALG

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:16 pm

jlup1980 wrote:David Luiz did two dives in the 2nd half that Tom Daley would be proud of, hounding the officials after every single decision and just bringing the game into disrepute at every occasion... In reality we weren't allowed to get within a couple of yards of anyone without them play acting. I'm tired of the gamesmanship if I'm honest. Why is it acceptable?
Agreed. It is NOT acceptable to any right thinking supporters.

Apparently (didn't hear it personally) a commentator on BBC Radio today said that we were "naive" and "too honest". TOO HONEST?! Not in the way I was brought up. You can't be too honest! (I think me and SD have lots in common).

These cheats of the Premier League (Willian and Morata just two from today) make an art form out of diving, cheating and getting the opposition booked. It's **** like this that makes the Premier League the poisoned commodity that it has become and the main reason why people are becoming apathetic towards modern football.

From the BBC website: "Chelsea Manager, Maurizio Sarri, says he is "very happy" for Alvaro Morata"

Again, a major issue with the game. Their antics are condoned by their management!

It is down to the Authorities to do something about it. But, surprise surprise, they won't. There is too much money involved!
These 3 users liked this post: jlup1980 SussexDon1inIreland MT03ALG

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:44 pm

Thr best thing to happen to English Premier League football would be for Manchester City, Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and possibly Spurs, to enter the FIFA and UEFA leagues, which are around the corner. 2 to FIFA and 4 to UEFA..

The would rebalance the league.

The worst thing to happen to the English Premier League would be the loss of those 6 clubs to FIFA and UEFA leagues, as that would make the Premier League pointless, in TV terms and the money would disappear overnight.

Either way, the only way Burnley can remain viable, is if our directors do as they have been doing. Some funds to invest on the field, some to strengthen behind the scenes and some for a cushion, should/when we get relegated.

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Tinribs » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:57 pm

Your not on your own.finding the whole season a total bore at the moment not just us either.cant even be arsed watching match of the day anymore.
Football is killing itself.The working man no longer as anything in common with anything going on in the modern game.
These 2 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland CaptJohn

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:07 pm

On diving/cheating/ deceit: Economists will tell you everything in life comes down to incentives

When it comes to the players behavior they are only doing what the game has increasingly incentivised them to do. The emphasis on getting a result at all costs with mulit-millions of pounds in the mix and importantly the rules having enough grey areas in them to allow the constant pushing the envelope.
We only see a yellow card for the most clear and obvious dives, hardly a deterrent. The risk/reward factor is totally skewed toward the benefits of diving and dishonesty. Even if a few are caught many more will not,risk a yellow for a potential 3 points? Yes please.
Even a two game ban, which has only been applied twice I believe is not being used enough to make it a deterrent.

It's the same reason why some investment bankers do crooked deals, because the likelihood of anything coming of it is very low but the reward is potentially huge.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:29 pm

MOTD2

Martial cons Jon Moss - cheat !

Not acceptable but, he gets away with it !

MOM?? Martial !!! Extra points for conning the officials ???!!!

VAR... time to step up to the plate !
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:31 pm

The quality of the camerawork and the cut/edit/paste/strobe/excite makes it exhausting as one is battered by other folk's media agendas through unnatural eyes. Streaming Internet TV is virtually impossible to watch. I bought a Eurosport pass for the Olympiakos match and it was awful. Their highlights programs are all filmed in close-up, it's totally nauseous to the senses.

That might have a lot to do with the OP's dissatisfaction. With live football, the electronic ads are overbearing and inhumanly powerful and distractions to the match.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:49 am

I love watching good football. Spurs last season played some amazing football spoilt by Ali cheating, our goal against Everton away with 20 + touches, but the play acting, time wasting, cheating and poor officials is slowly doing my head in. I said yesterday that at least we will NOT get a penalty as none of our players are ever fouled in the box, it is a fact confirmed by stats that we haven't had a penalty since the old queen died.

I often wondered what it would be like to support a team like Stoke, West Brom, Sunderland, West Ham etc who realistically know mid table is about the best they could play for, now I think I know and possibly can see our future in those teams?

JellyBaby
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by JellyBaby » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:01 am

100% agree with OP. Glad it's not just me!

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:02 am

Apathy only comes about when your team isn't doing well. Nothing more, nothing less.

The supporters at Wolves, for example, seem very happy with their lot at the moment. I bet they aren't complaining about too much football on TV etc.

Just like we were last season.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:02 am

If we win the next three games, nobody will post or reply to a thread such as this.

About 50% of posts (this was pre-Brexit / Trump) were along these lines when we were an average championship team - you know, that league we all love so much now, so competitive and 'real'. Then we got successful under Dyche and won loads and they all dried up. Turns out we weren't disillusioned with football after all, we just hadn't been winning.

Then we get 10 games into a new season - following our best season in decades - where we've been a bit rubbish and once again we're apathetic and fed up with t'modern game.
This user liked this post: Chip Harrison

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:03 am

I have to say the novelty of playing the likes of Chelsea and Man City is wearing off now. We're extremely unlikely to get even a point out of these games and the fans know it. Our first season in the Prem these were some of the best atmosphere games as they were like a cup tie, but now we all just traipse in waiting for the inevitable beating and it's bloody depressing.

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:11 am

Remember back in the 90s when we were struggling under Stan before the upward curve started. Very early days of message boards and a lot of fans were saying the ambition was to see the club back "where it belonged" fighting in the Championship for promotion to the PL. Maybe we've over achieved (almost certainly so), and need to reconcile our ambitions with the reality of how football has evolved over those 25 odd years. Wouldn't be a massive blow if we did find ourselves down a level. We'd be playing regular games against competitive teams with the result not a foregone conclusion. Problem being the lack of finance at that level would mean we'd have to rely on our own income generation and still be at a disadvantage over big sponsorship, big gate, big city clubs. I'm sure a successful season in the Championship would fill the town with a feelgood factor PL football cant seem to provide. Remember winning the league a few years ago?

skibum84
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by skibum84 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:11 am

I can relate to so many of the comments above.

Yesterday was boring to watch. The only bit that got me out of my seat was Chelsea's constant cheating. Constant play acting is just accepted by the media and seems to be by refs and FA.

The championship is now the league to watch. Its a much more balanced league which makes it competitive. This is what the premier league would be like if you got rid of the big 6, which is looking ever more attractive.

Games like yesterday are so unbalanced, its like a school yard game of footy where one captain has had the first 10 picks rather than alternative picks. Where is the fun in that?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:15 am

vinrogue wrote:I love watching good football. Spurs last season played some amazing football spoilt by Ali cheating, our goal against Everton away with 20 + touches, but the play acting, time wasting, cheating and poor officials is slowly doing my head in. I said yesterday that at least we will NOT get a penalty as none of our players are ever fouled in the box, it is a fact confirmed by stats that we haven't had a penalty since the old queen died.

I often wondered what it would be like to support a team like Stoke, West Brom, Sunderland, West Ham etc who realistically know mid table is about the best they could play for, now I think I know and possibly can see our future in those teams?
Burnley tend to play in our own box and not the oppositions.on reaching the 18 yard box we tend to play the ball back again most games.

JellyBaby
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by JellyBaby » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:19 pm

[quote="Spijed"]Apathy only comes about when your team isn't doing well. Nothing more, nothing less.

I disagree with this. It's been growing for a few years for me personally and also some friends have said the same. Last season was brilliant but I had the exact conversation then. Maybe it's age but I think the cynicism of the game doesn't help.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

bfcbri
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 63 times

Post by bfcbri » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:37 pm

I do agree to some extent with a lot of the posts on here as turning up expecting to get thumped is no fun, but this isn't always the case as games like Chelsea away last season goes to prove.
I know it is pretty tough watching us lose 5-0 and 4-0 but that is against two of the best teams in the league.
Just think how bad Newcastle fans are feeling at the moment when they are supposedly a BIG club with loads of fans and a crap chairman, I know whose position I would rather be in.
Upwards and Onwards!!

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:30 pm

Im too am fed up with it. Not just Burnley but top level football. Its crap. Ive no real desire to watch MOTD nowadays and on a rare occasion I do (last night) its quickly turned off. Why? Paul Pogba. He sums football at the highest level up. I find the man appalling. He’s a disgrace. Not just him but I could easily name loads of “world class” players as being a disgrace. This current generation will destroy football. Kids look up to these people and want to be them and idolise them.

Its also entertainment level at Burnley. Its boring. Like CCF says further up. Football for me is about the all day not just 90mins. I see friends I wouldnt if I didnt go. Thats the only reason I go. Next time Im on Ill see if they like dominos and we can just meet up every 2 weeks to play that instead.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:33 pm

Watching the dross we are producing week in week out you have a valid point

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:39 pm

Plutarch on Dyche
"When Dyche saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more leagues to conquer. (without massive outside investment)"

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:16 pm

Well, the lads along the way from us haven’t bothered coming to a single game this season. I know they renewed and presumably the cost is of little burden to them but I think that tells a tale of some of the apathy amongst some supporters at the moment.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:44 pm

Funnily enough, my pal of many years and a Saints season ticket holder for over 40 years, came to visit this morning. We chatted football, amongst other things. His opening statement, "I don't think Southampton will be getting my money next season. There is no fun now".

Must be catching...

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:12 pm

I agree to some extent. It’s not just Burnley, it’s football in general. The style of the modern game is all pace and power with very little flair and skill.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:20 pm

Spijed wrote:Apathy only comes about when your team isn't doing well. Nothing more, nothing less.

The supporters at Wolves, for example, seem very happy with their lot at the moment. I bet they aren't complaining about too much football on TV etc.

Just like we were last season.
Sorry but you're wrong there mate. I watch Burnley because I have to, I'm a lifelong fan, but yes, football has become a bit of a chore because of, mainly, the money. Far more enjoyment to be had, for me, watching Stanley when I go and watching rubbish quality live football from South America. At least the SA stuff is different and skillful (unfortunately they still cheat like monkeys).
I have been saying for a number of years now (long before we were in the PL) that the best thing that could happen to football would be for Sky to pull the plug on the cash cow and let everything settle down somewhat. It also needs the 'rich owner' syndrome to be tackled as well (which is what FFP was supposed to do but patently hasn't). I have loved the game all my life but I despair at the cheating (legitimised by the media as 'simulation'), the arguing with refs and the overall tendency to favour the big clubs by officials. The really odd thing is that what used to be seen as cheating (good old fashioned hard play) is now almost banned from the game, it'll be a non-contact sport before long.
So no, it's got absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Burnley's current situation. I actually don't like the PL and never have, it's an elitist league that can only be of serious concern to the ridiculously wealthy and I do NOT swallow the whole 'best league in the world' nonsense. The game of the common man has been sold out to the whims of strupidly rich players and millionaire/billionaire playboys/girls who want a plaything. Even down to supporters wanting 'good facilites' to watch the game. Give me the freezing Longside and the sh!te toilets anyday. I didn't used to agree much with Roy Kean's outbursts but went he banged on about United's prawn sandwich brigade years ago he just about hit the nail on the head.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:06 pm

Is it because after finishing 7th and having a brief European campaign most of us realise that's realistically as good as it's ever going to get for us? Essentially we're now just treading water in the top flight till we eventually go down.
The atmosphere just generally isn't there at football either. Even on the Turf you've got big groups of tourists, 50/50 scarves. There's no danger or excitement. Looked so much more fun in the 80s and 90s, even if the football was rubbish.
This user liked this post: Garnerssoap

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:32 pm

Yep. Olympiakos away was as good as it’ll get for us. We’ve had our fun and will all have to invest in the bad times again till we’ve built up enough credit to win a few - hopefully no lower than the championship

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:34 pm

My girlfriend said I was apathetic. I said ‘ A pathetic what?’ and then I just thought I don’t care.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:46 pm

Never been so pleased to go on my tod to Olympiacos away. Even risking my health making my own way to the stadium in my Burnley shirt is something I do not regret. I had a feeling I would regret it for ever if I didnt.

The apathy has to be tackled. We need to make an effort. We also need to dream and to hope and to enjoy. I am not sure people like Dyche would ever appreciate that. That is my fear.

That season for Leicester under Ranieri. Wow. Still cannot believe he was sacked the year after but given recent tragedies I wont comment further on that one.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by karatekid » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:50 pm

The only problem with football at the moment is that we are currently not very good at it.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:01 pm

If staying in the Prem is going to carry on being like this season so far, getting thumped and hoping that there are 3 worse teams then you can keep it for me. Would rather be in League 1 and see us playing decent football. Have got a mate who supports Sunderland and he said they're all loving this season up there. Playing good football, taking thousands away again and actually enjoying going to games.

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:57 pm

Yeah, I preferred it when I watched us get beaten by Cambridge in the fourth division in front of 2,000 fans in the season we nearly ended up joining the non-league boys.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:10 pm

Stan Tastic wrote:Yeah, I preferred it when I watched us get beaten by Cambridge in the fourth division in front of 2,000 fans in the season we nearly ended up joining the non-league boys.
Happy days :?

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:50 am

If you love your club it doesn't matter what league you are in at all. The fun is the friendships formed and the feeling of belonging, it doesn't have to be about 'playing in the best league in the world' (what a marvelous piece of marketing that is, they have got so many people actually believing that one), it's about enjoying the day and coming away feeling great or sh!te and arguing over what could or should have been. For the people who witnessed the old Fourth division days let me ask were there NO good times for you? Did you not feel great going to away games and having more support than the home team? Have you not felt the joy at the promotions in the lower leagues? Are games rubbish just because Pogba or Willian or Salah or Hazard aren't on the pitch? Do you have a masochistic side that makes you enjoy seeing your team taken apart by players who earn more in a week than you do in 4 years? Tell the 300/400 hardy souls who support teams like Arbroath in Scotland or even a non-league club here that they need the PL, they'll probably look at you with a wry smile and think you are deluded.

People should go to football games to be entertained and ENJOY the experience, regardless of how many visiting millionaire players there are on the pitch or what division you are in. We seem to have reached a point in football that makes some people elitist by proxy, by that I mean the attitude of 'Hey, we're getting battered stupid but at least we are being battered stupid by millionaires'.

Chip Harrison
Been Liked: 126 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by Chip Harrison » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:11 am

Only on this forum do we have fans seriously nostalgic for the 4th division days, and want to be relegated to the championship so we can have a lot of away fans.

And what about Cricketfield Claret who goes on for the atmosphere?

You just can't make it up!!!

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:17 am

jrgbfc wrote:If staying in the Prem is going to carry on being like this season so far, getting thumped and hoping that there are 3 worse teams then you can keep it for me. Would rather be in League 1 and see us playing decent football. Have got a mate who supports Sunderland and he said they're all loving this season up there. Playing good football, taking thousands away again and actually enjoying going to games.
Do you think Rovers supporters would swap winning the PL for league one football?