Apathy towards football

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Re: Apathy towards football

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:49 am

Houseboy makes a lot of very valid points and having longed for years for us to find the Holy Grail of the PL, and now having spent several seasons there, it's easy to see how it isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be. I honestly think there is a subliminal subtext in favour of the "massive" global brand clubs at the top (Chelski, Manure,Citeh, Spuds, Liverpuddle and Assenel) because the PL know that they are largely the reason Sky pumps all the money in and why the rest of the world is remotely interested. Everyone else is just there to make up the numbers and give the big boys somebody to show off against and prove how brilliant they are by giving them a hammering! And those also rans come and go and come and go and nobody outside their own fan base gives a flying ....! Stoke, West Brom and poor old Sunderland for example were in the PL for a number of years, then suddenly they have gone and more cannon fodder has simply come along to take their place. The PL and all the media crap that accompanies it has barely noticed and never even gives a backward glance. Sunderland could be bust and defunct for all the PL loving media cares because I haven't heard their name mentioned once on tele since the day they went down. And what about Blackpool as another example? Media absolutely all over them for ONE season, then instantly yesterday's story and bumping along the bottom of the canal and nobody outside their fans at all interested, especially the football media and the PL! Ironically I actually do hope we stay in the PL a while longer because it's not just been great for the club to have time in the sun, but it's hopefully got a whole new generation of LOCAL fans watching the Clarets who will stay loyal in years to come when we may well really need them and it's given us financial stability for a few years down the line, but if we do fall out of the PL, oblivion beckons imo. £10 million training facilities, "technical directors", corner stands, "matchday experience hosts" etc, etc will all look a bit daft! The Championship and below is full of clubs with fiercely loyal and in some cases huge fan bases who absolutely love their teams. After a spell in the PL you realise it's as much about sucking up to SKY, corporate hospitality, "global brands", football "tourists" and media luv ins and real fans are not a high priority, so surprise, surprise in many cases they start to drift away. That's when you inevitably start to become rather cynical unfortunately.
(I actually think this rant started a couple of years ago when I witnessed first hand the "clappers" dished out to fans at Leicester before our game there. I simply couldn't stop shaking my head!)

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:56 am

Spijed wrote:Do you think Rovers supporters would swap winning the PL for league one football?
Obviously not, because in the Walker years they were capable of competing. If the reality for us is aiming to finish 17th every year employing tactics from the dark ages then you can keep it for me. Genuinely don't understand the viewpoint that we should enjoy getting thumped every week because "we're in the Prem".

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:56 am

For all those getting misty eyed about the good old days.

How many older Man City supporters would rather go back to watching their team two divisions below, as opposed to seeing a top manager and world class players not only breaking records last season but possibly doing so again this?

I'd bet there are none. It's amazing what success does to fans!

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:06 pm

The problem for me is that I really don't want to go backwards and be struggling in the 3rd tier again (even though we had some great days out!!) BUT I'm also starting to see through some of the PL "hype and becoming a bit cynical to some extent.
Ultimately the PL is a soap opera and there are about 5 or 6 main characters who will always be in it no matter what, have loads of lines to say and are the reason people tune in, but everyone else are simply fringe characters who come and go and are very easily expendable.
Last edited by Dark Cloud on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:08 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Obviously not, because in the Walker years they were capable of competing. If the reality for us is aiming to finish 17th every year employing tactics from the dark ages then you can keep it for me. Genuinely don't understand the viewpoint that we should enjoy getting thumped every week because "we're in the Prem".
But some seem to be making the point that the entire Premier league package is what's making some apathetic towards football, when in reality it's only because the team isn't doing so well at the moment.

Do well, like Man City, and Pep Guardiola is a God.
Do poorly, a bit like Man U. and Mourinho needs to be sacked.

It's how football works in the fickle world of a football supporter.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:10 pm

Yes being in the lower leagues is far more entertaining than currently being in one of the top leagues in the world, seeing us buying players of 15 million putting bids in for 20 million pound players.
Watching this club pit its wits against City United, Liverpool etc. Ho yes being in the lower leagues it's fantastic we can have a season of solidarity have to sell our best players to balance the books get the real supporters on under 9,000 all spread out more room as rows of seat to take your pick at, a couple of coaches going Ipswich on a Tuesday night match but hey you will be able to get a ticket for 30 quid to see the game.
Ho yes let's get relegated so all these things can be enjoyed again the atmosphere will return once we have achieved all that,100 Rotherham fans in the away end drowning out our 9,000 plus can't wait at least it will be competitive. FFS get a grip people.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:12 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:The problem for me is that I really don't want to go backwards and be struggling in the 3rd tier again (even though we had some great days out!!) BUT I'm also starting to see through some of the PL "hype and becoming a bit cynical to some extent.
Ultimately the PL is a soap opera and there are about 5 or 6 main characters who will always be in it no matter what, have loads of lines to say and are the reason people tune in, but everyone else are simply fringe characters who come and go and are very easily expandable.
That's a good point, but it's a boom and bust cycle.

PNE supporters crave to be in the PL, like many before them. But attitudes change after a few seasons.

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 399 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:18 pm

Neville Southall just been on Talksport saying he doesn't miss football one bit (apart from the banter) as he can no longer identify with it. He also no longer sees it as a game for the common man.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:27 pm

A couple of wins and everybody will be in love with the Prem again.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:31 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:A couple of wins and everybody will be in love with the Prem again.
That's the point. With what's happened at Leicester they are another club whose supporters thought it was the greatest moment in their history when they won the league. Not a single one of them had any apathy when they won the title, nor would we for that matter.

Hypocrisy to say anything otherwise.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2561 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:43 pm

Spijed wrote:That's the point. With what's happened at Leicester they are another club whose supporters thought it was the greatest moment in their history when they won the league. Not a single one of them had any apathy when they won the title, nor would we for that matter.

Hypocrisy to say anything otherwise.
we aren't going to win the title though.

this apathy isn't really a new thing, there were plenty of people saying that the attraction will soon wear off after a few seasons.

its not because the team aren't doing well, its because this is the reality of this league. last season was a massive over achievement but would anyone say it was more enjoyable than any of our promotion seasons?

the reality of the premier league is that the top 6 are streets ahead and the rest of the league is much of a muchness where everyone will take turns to have one expectation-busting season in 10.

we're three months in, over a quarter of the way through the season and the top 3 haven't been beaten yet. 4th and 5th have only been beaten by the top 3 (apart from spurs losing to watford when they were on a bit of a roll at the start). as a competition, its pretty pap.

we won't go down this time and we won't get into europe so unless we take a cup seriously, we pretty much know what the season holds for us already.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:54 pm

After being knocked out of Europe before the season had really got going the atmosphere around the club has been as flat as a pancake. That was where all the buzz and excitement was over the summer, and it's where Dyche has made a massive error of judgement IMO. It's almost as if our season was over before it had begun. It can't have helped the players motivation after all that effort to finish 7th for Dyche to then sacrifice for most of them their only chance of playing European football because he didn't want to risk a relegation on his CV.

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:06 pm

It just makes you wonder what the point of it all is at the end of the day. It does feel like there's nothing else left to achieve as were never going to make Europe again bar some miracle and were just being outplayed most weeks by far better teams. Is the prem more exciting than our title winning team? Not for me. The away days and general fun was miles better imo

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:53 pm

This Derby fan's got the right idea....
derby.jpg
derby.jpg (81 KiB) Viewed 1306 times

CaptainKirk
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by CaptainKirk » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:00 pm

Sorry if it has already been mentioned, but we go on to be entertained I presume, regardless of the Division.
Some of my greatest memories are matches from all the other Divisions. As good as last season looks in the record books we won 7 games at home all season and 4 of them were 1-0. When we came up we won 15 home league games (and scored more goals doing it) - I know which I enjoyed more.

I don't think you can blame overpaid players either as they have always been paid a lot more than the average fan (Eagles car!) and players have always cheated.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:14 pm

We also go on, now we're in the Prem, knowing that the odds are heavily against us particularly having the strange, European disruption at the start of the season and with two major, long-term injuries to key players and then Pope's mishap to contend with.
We can't spend unlimited amounts and so we trust Dyche to send out a team with the framework and tactics to survive. That was, is and always will be the deal.
This, however, seems not to be enough for some on here. Not only must we survive but we must also play with verve, panache and without fear.
Suicide.
Don't get me wrong: I'm not interested in staying in the Prem at all costs but I do enjoy, albeit perversely, I guess, seeing us up against some of the world's finest teams. We just need to make sure we see off some of the lesser and inferior ones.
These 3 users liked this post: tim_noone Dark Cloud Bosscat

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:09 pm

I suppose it depends what you want from watching us.
From my own point of view, I don't like it anymore. Not because of anything Burnley have done, but because Saturday/Tuesday was a great few hours spent with mi dad. Over the past few seasons we've spent it enjoying Burnley's success and last season was fine too because we were hardly on the box.
This season though has been ******** as neither of us can do Sundays or Saturday lunchtimes.

So, apathy maybe, but I'd rather watch us in the 4th division with my dad than in the premier league without him, as needlessly dramatic as that sounds. He's not dying or owt. Just how it's fallen within the parameters of our lives.

But if we want Burnley Football Club to be the best they can be, then we need to stay in the Premier League.
If you want to enjoy watching us again, then it depends which aspect of watching us is most enjoyable, I guess.