Dilemma for the Directors

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Dilemma for the Directors

Post by steve1264b » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:44 am

At the moment we are run by astute businessmen. Our proudest stat has to be they dont take a penny out. Even the guy at Arsenal takes £3 million a year out!

However the problem fast approaching is that we cannot compeat financially just on income as our peers are supported/doped financially by billionaires.

We will soon be at the tipping point whereby we will need to start operating at a controlled loss to compete.

I was wondering how much the club is worth today and how much would we be worth in championship?

I think when we reach this tipping point we might be up for sale.

Terrier
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Re: Dilemma for the Directors

Post by Terrier » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:02 am

I think we are up for sale 24/7 but the right people have not come along yet, maybe never will.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:47 am

As much as the fairytale of Leicester sounds great (poor time I know), a club like Burnley would be screwed if relegated having run up large debts. We are not an appealing investment as there is little growth opportunity from where we are right now. We’re currently running pretty much at our peak, and any growth will come from new TV deals, but dropping League placings (£2m per place) wipes that out.

The reality is that we are far better off playing it safe, maybe stretching for an odd signing, than getting ourselves in £100m debt. It might sound boring right now, but I’d rather be able to compete at the top end of the Championship for a few seasons if we go down than plummet to League One or Two.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:02 am

Really we needed another thread?

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:06 am

Am I the only person who finds it annoying that some fickle fans are calling for Sean's head and the owners to move on?

We play West Ham, Leicester & Newcastle next....and should we pick up a good number of points, same fans will be posting we have best manager and owners.

I think the vast majority of fans are happy with Sean and know the owners are doing a fabulous job.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:22 am

LoveCurryPies wrote:Am I the only person who finds it annoying that some fickle fans are calling for Sean's head and the owners to move on?

We play West Ham, Leicester & Newcastle next....and should we pick up a good number of points, same fans will be posting we have best manager and owners.

I think the vast majority of fans are happy with Sean and know the owners are doing a fabulous job.
Say we average 18,000
There's about 4,500 registered on here.
The number which post regularly is in the hundreds.
Of those, there's about half a dozen calling for Dyche out.
I don't agree with them and probably nobody else does, that's why they feel the need to post here. I can quite well imagine that their opinion is laughed at off line as well as on line.
These 3 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret Bosscat LoveCurryPies

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:26 am

LoveCurryPies wrote:Really we needed another thread?
Yeah because this person's opinion is clearly more important than any other on any of the other director out threads.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:37 am

It's time people woke up to the reality of the issue.

How is it financially prudent to be paying the highest wages in the club history to the oldest team (in terms of player age) in the league.

People seem to relate a reluctance to spend money with financial prudence. Whilst real financial prudence would be to have a solid transfer policy which invests in young players with the hope of making a profit. I don't see any such vision from our directors.

If we were to get relegated the full playing staff would need to be revamped and reenergised if we were to have a hope of getting promoted. But we will then have the challenge of moving on a lot of older players on high wages out of the club.

Anyone can be a director and just sit on money without making decisions. There's no challenge in doing that, but your inactivity will soon catch up with you.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:43 am

We have great directors and our best ever manager.We are 15th in the worlds best league
So we lost two games one team run by an Arab country with eyewatering funds and the other run by a Russian billionare with unlimited capacity to fund his hobby,Chelsea
Our guys are fans and realists.
We do what we can.
Out team will take 6 our of nine points and everyone will stop panicking.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:48 am

PutTheWheelieBinsOut wrote:It's time people woke up to the reality of the issue.

How is it financially prudent to be paying the highest wages in the club history to the oldest team (in terms of player age) in the league.

People seem to relate a reluctance to spend money with financial prudence. Whilst real financial prudence would be to have a solid transfer policy which invests in young players with the hope of making a profit. I don't see any such vision from our directors.

If we were to get relegated the full playing staff would need to be revamped and reenergised if we were to have a hope of getting promoted. But we will then have the challenge of moving on a lot of older players on high wages out of the club.

Anyone can be a director and just sit on money without making decisions. There's no challenge in doing that, but your inactivity will soon catch up with you.
Reality of the situation is we are currently 15th, we've managed some wins, we are just struggling for form.

We may have the oldest squad, but it isn't the worst out there by the looks of it.
Several managers will be twitching right now about their jobs, ours won't be one of them

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:03 am

There will have certainly been offers for us, they confirmed as much. But I’m grateful that they weren’t accepted at the moment because they were probably the types looking just to take over a profitable business, not a football club looking to do well.

The time will come when we need to be sold though, so I do hope we’re proactive in looking for the right buyer.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:19 am

To all those going on about how financially prudent we are, how much have we spunked on Wells and Walters in fees and wages? We've also just spent 10 million on a striker Dyche doesn't seem to rate. We should be buying young, hungry lads who have a point to prove, rather than old lags like Walters with no resale value.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:41 am

Re Wells and Walters .Wells was a poor signing .Huddersfield were happy to offload him as not good enough to use in the Premier League.Walters was a gamble that could have worked out as it has with Bardsley and Joe Hart.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:45 am

jrgbfc wrote:To all those going on about how financially prudent we are, how much have we spunked on Wells and Walters in fees and wages? We've also just spent 10 million on a striker Dyche doesn't seem to rate. We should be buying young, hungry lads who have a point to prove, rather than old lags like Walters with no resale value.

How much did we spunk on Keane & Gray ? Of course there is no agenda on your behalf by naming a couple of signings that didn't work out
This user liked this post: Bosscat

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:56 am

SIgh.....

there IS no investment strategy. Buying Burnley would be ego-driven, with little downside, and all the financial upsides, but investment isn't one of them. Our appeal is to the individual, like Leicester's deceased chairman, that sees a premier league football club as the next extension to a super-yacht.

The trick for our Board is to figure out how to get up off the pot, while providing longevity and the correct husbandry for the club, and its traditional stature within the terms of the sale.