O/T How do I attract Birds?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Re: O/T How do I attract Birds?

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:52 am

fat balls

ICL
Been Liked: 149 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by ICL » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:58 pm

Another vote for fat balls. We were having trouble with rats when feeding with nuts and seeds, but switching to the balls in a feeder and the rats have now gone. One surprise is that we now have Tree Sparrows coming to the garden (c. 3). Not seen these in our area before; we’re in Reedley.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:15 pm

I tried fat balls along with most other seeds. As previously mentioned it attracted next to nothing this year, last year was not bad so I'm at a loss to know why nothing is coming in. I brought all the feeders in the other day and threw everything away as it had all gone rotten. I'll try to change the water more regularly and see if that helps.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18215 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:38 pm

beddie wrote:I tried fat balls along with most other seeds. As previously mentioned it attracted next to nothing this year, last year was not bad so I'm at a loss to know why nothing is coming in. I brought all the feeders in the other day and threw everything away as it had all gone rotten. I'll try to change the water more regularly and see if that helps.
We feed the birds also with fat balls ... an interesting point was the Wife bought some cheap ones in poundland .... the birds turned their little beaks up at these (even the Starlings who can clear fat balls in no time) .... so I bought a box of 50 from the Pet supply shop in the Market place in Settle and within the hour of putting them out, back came the birds....

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:45 pm

My wife is an avid feeder of birds and her secret is to feed them all year round so that when the bad weather does come, our back garden is their first stop for food. Hence we get a multitude of birds this time of year. We have several birdfeeders which are nearly all Squirrel proof and put out nuts, bird seed, fat balls and logs plus Sunflower hearts. The most numerous are the Goldfinches who love Sunflower hearts but we get Blackbirds, Thrushes, Fieldfares, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Robins, Greenfinches, Long Tailed Tits, Sparrows, Starlings, Woodpeckers an occasional Wren, and unfortunately the Sparrow Hawk who seems to be very partial to Blue Tits. We do get Crows and Magpies as well which I'm not too fond of but my wife doesn't worry.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3766 times
Has Liked: 7557 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Bosscat wrote:We thought he/she was a woodmouse
Just wondered.
Doesn't really look like a mouse.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:38 pm

Buxtonclaret wrote:Just wondered.
? We thought it was .... perhaps its not .... but its not big enough to be a rat and it only a short tail too....

Look at its size compared to the peanuts lol

Plus its got a gob full of Nuts :lol:
Last edited by Bosscat on Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:53 pm

Bosscat, I'll try those better fat balls. Sounds like we're not to far from you, we're just outside Skipton. I'll let you know how we get on.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:00 pm

beddie wrote:Bosscat, I'll try those better fat balls. Sounds like we're not to far from you, we're just outside Skipton. I'll let you know how we get on.
Gardman fatballs.... not cheap but our birds love-em

Twin Locks garden centre at Gargrave sells them too
Last edited by Bosscat on Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spadesclaret
Been Liked: 2147 times
Has Liked: 3782 times

Post by spadesclaret » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:51 pm

Buxtonclaret wrote:Just wondered.
I had to look twice, especially as it seems to have five toes, but once I looked carefully I could see it is a woodmouse. The five toes are on a rear leg which it has brought forward. Front legs have only four toes.
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3766 times
Has Liked: 7557 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:16 pm

spadesclaret wrote:I had to look twice, especially as it seems to have five toes, but once I looked carefully I could see it is a woodmouse. The five toes are on a rear leg which it has brought forward. Front legs have only four toes.
Did wonder if it was a vole.
I've seen one a couple of times at a friend's place, high up a wall in ivy.
It's small. But the eyes seem wrong.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1295 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:12 am

CJW wrote:It's a Brown Rat
This is why we stopped feeding birds. We put grease on the central pole and even encouraged the dog (Jack Russell!) to sniff around but the buggers kept shinning up to feed on the seeds, etc.

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:42 am

spadesclaret wrote:beddie, I agree with Bfc's post above. We have had a very mild autumn so there is still plenty of natural food in the countryside for the birds. When the really cold weather appears and the berries etc., are in short supply your birds should return.

Our garden is very quiet at the moment whilst a few weeks ago we were refilling the feeders daily. Make sure your feeders are clean, forget peanuts like Bfc says and stop worrying.

Oh yes, and shooting cats is helpful, too http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... c/fire.gif:-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Spades - if Dan was ever to see your post about harming an animal you would be up for some questioning.

Have your answers ready. :shock: :shock:

spadesclaret
Been Liked: 2147 times
Has Liked: 3782 times

Post by spadesclaret » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:26 am

tybfc wrote:Spades - if Dan was ever to see your post about harming an animal you would be up for some questioning.

Have your answers ready. :shock: :shock:
Oh dear! The last person in the world that I would wish to upset is Dan. Please convince him that it was just a tease. I know you can do it. Don't let me down.

Alternatively, don't let him see my post!

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:36 am

Cirrus_Minor wrote:This is why we stopped feeding birds. We put grease on the central pole and even encouraged the dog (Jack Russell!) to sniff around but the buggers kept shinning up to feed on the seeds, etc.
Eeeets not a Rat Eeees a Hamsterrrr Mr Fowlty

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Cirrus_Minor wrote:This is why we stopped feeding birds. We put grease on the central pole and even encouraged the dog (Jack Russell!) to sniff around but the buggers kept shinning up to feed on the seeds, etc.
We've stopped too. Rats were coming into the garden after dark to feed on whatever was leftover on the ground. I don't want our kids playing on a lawn that's covered in rat p1ss and dropping - their droppings are where diseases, like Weil's disease, lurk. We stopped feeding and the rats soon stopped coming in.