O/T How do I attract Birds?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

O/T How do I attract Birds?

Post by beddie » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:37 am

I'm talking about the ones with wings and feathers :roll: Only last year we had a good variety, goldfinches, great tits, robins, wrens, although they had declined from the previous years. This year hardly any. I tried altering the bird table by removing the top and making an open top with lots of hanging seed feeders and peanut trays, several weeks in its no different. I have noticed on our weekly walks through the dales that there does not appear to be the amount from previous years. I'd be interested to know if you are managing to still attract plenty to your gardens and in what area you live.

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Re: O/T How do I attract Birds?

Post by Chobulous » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:48 am

Shoot the cats as they appear.
These 2 users liked this post: Quickenthetempo CJW

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:02 am

baddie one of the attractions for encouraging birds to feed, is the type of seed you leave out. Goldfinches mainly like is Nyjer seed, which has a particular type of feeder. Like Chaffinches, Greenfinches they also like Sunflower Hearts. I would forget about putting Peanuts out, as they don’t often get eaten and tend to go mouldy in the feeder.
My 7 feeders attract a lot of birds, but sadly I lose at least one bird a week to a Sparrowhawk, which then puts the birds off coming into the garden for a while. I’ve some decent shots of it sat up in the garden. Keep your feeders clean and they will be back in numbers as the seeds they eat in the Country become scarce over winter. My best count of Goldfinch is 57, at the same time and to see them feeding and the color of them makes it worthwhile.
This user liked this post: oswyclaret

spadesclaret
Been Liked: 2147 times
Has Liked: 3782 times

Post by spadesclaret » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:14 am

beddie, I agree with Bfc's post above. We have had a very mild autumn so there is still plenty of natural food in the countryside for the birds. When the really cold weather appears and the berries etc., are in short supply your birds should return.

Our garden is very quiet at the moment whilst a few weeks ago we were refilling the feeders daily. Make sure your feeders are clean, forget peanuts like Bfc says and stop worrying.

Oh yes, and shooting cats is helpful, too :-)
This user liked this post: CJW

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:28 am

Fat balls (and that goes for either kind).
This user liked this post: AndrewJB

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:31 am

spadesclaret wrote:Oh yes, and shooting cats is helpful, too :-)
I hate cats and one has got itself into the house a couple of times recently when workmen were in and had left the door open. It's a right arrogant creature but I've been warned to be cautious as it's bitten a couple of people in the area recently.

Sorry to ambush the bird thread, but any advice re this wretched cat would be of help.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18097 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:41 am

We have a plethora of visitors to our many garden bird feeders, from the ubiquitous Sparrow to Gold finches, Tits of various sizes (Blue, Coal, Long tailed and Great) the Long Tailed Tits only visit once or twice a week but when they do its 7 or 8 at a time...
We have finches of several types Gold, Green and Chaffinches.
We also have some reed buntings as well and they tend to flock with the Sparrows...
Blackbirds, Starlings and a couple of Magpies...

We also have a Sparrowhawk and when it is about the garden becomes very quiet.... Sparrowhawks are notorious for going for Goldfinches, so after the Sparrowhawk has been, its usually about a week before the Goldfinches return.

Our Peanut feeders are usually emptied within a couple of days. The fat balls don't last very long (make your own with good quality seed or buy the premium ones, as the cheap ones we have tried from the supermarket tend to get left, birds are bloody picky at times lol) the Nyger Seed feeders empty quick as well when the Goldfinches are about.

Also put a couple of Bird houses up and encourage Sparrows and Blue Tits that way.

We have 14 Cats on our Road and watching the Birds taunt them is great fun. The only thing is with the Cats is the Poop problem but a super soaker works well if you see one in your flower bed....

If you have lost your feathered visitors its probably because they have got a ready supply elsewhere thats easier for them. Not always Cats or other predators...

Hope you get your garden Tweeting again soon...
Last edited by Bosscat on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve_f
Been Liked: 192 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by steve_f » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:42 am

Fat balls attract these in Ruislip

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:59 am

ClaretTony wrote:I hate cats and one has got itself into the house a couple of times recently when workmen were in and had left the door open. It's a right arrogant creature but I've been warned to be cautious as it's bitten a couple of people in the area recently.

Sorry to ambush the bird thread, but any advice re this wretched cat would be of help.
If it gets in again Pick it up by the scruff of the neck,it can't bite you then.. Then chuck it out .

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:59 am

I started putting food out again the weekend before last. I never bother in the summer. The birds were back within hours, which I didn't expect, and I spend many a happy hour watching them. As others have said, there must be plenty of natural food available. Another possibility, which happened to me a few years ago, was a new neighbour who put out loads of feeders in his garden. The bugger pinched my birds ;) , thankfully he split with his Mrs eventually and I got them back again. I would persist on putting the food out anyway, they'll come back when they're ready.
Last edited by Colburn_Claret on Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:00 am

What are they Steve? Some exotic birds that have escaped and bred? Are they regarded as pests or are they rare and wonderful to have around?

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:01 am

Im_not_Robbie_Blake wrote:What are they Steve? Some exotic birds that have escaped and bred? Are they regarded as pests or are they rare and wonderful to have around?
Ring necked parakeets. They escaped years ago and ate now common in parts of London and the South.

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:07 am

I have a fascination with birds. It's our last connection with wild animals in this country. Taking trees down to get more garden space and sunlight doesn't help, as well as using UPVC facias instead of wood but I'm guilty of both tbh.

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:10 am

2 bottles of pink champagne and a stomach girdle

Bfc

Post by Bfc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:12 am

beddie another tip is to place your feeders close to bushes/ trees, as this gives the birds the chance of getting into some cover before they’re picked off by a Sparrowhawk.

CT look online for a High Pitch gadget, which is hand held and gives off a very high frequency noise when you press its button,which you won’t hear. I use one on any cats/dogs daring to come into my garden. Either open a window or door and point it at the animal for it to have an effect, even from 15/20 Mtrs. They certainly turn and run off sharply and after a couple of visits, they know better than return for a third blast from it. They were about £35.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:14 am

Im_not_Robbie_Blake wrote:What are they Steve? Some exotic birds that have escaped and bred? Are they regarded as pests or are they rare and wonderful to have around?
We were in Cadiz (Southern Spain) walking in a Park opposite the Cruise Terminal and its full of Green ring necked Parrakeets ...

When we were on a Fjord Cruise we looked for a Norwegian Blue (Beautiful Plumage you know) but were very disappointed not to see one :( :( :(
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:16 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:Ring necked parakeets. They escaped years ago and ate now common in parts of London and the South.
I live near the City of London Cemetery, and there's a flock of them living around there. Sometimes they do sweeps around the neighbourhood.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:23 am

ClaretTony wrote:I hate cats and one has got itself into the house a couple of times recently when workmen were in and had left the door open. It's a right arrogant creature but I've been warned to be cautious as it's bitten a couple of people in the area recently.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/STV-Internatio ... lent+sonic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£16.99 at Amazon

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:24 am

You can buy lion sh1t to deter cats, but that might be a case of out of the frying pan

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:37 am

I've found those supermarket WILD BIRD MIX are useless. Blue Tits spit half of the seeds on to the ground. Better to buy a selection and learn which seeds they prefer and which don't (then cease buying those). I've hung a feeder under a small bush to give the small birds some protection from attack by Sparrowhawks.

Plenty of small garden birds around at the moment but haven't seen the Jays and Woodpeckers for a while. I also prefer feeders with a small tray to catch falling seeds. Helps prevent mice and even the odd rat. :shock:

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:54 am

I use black sunflower seeds which the tits, finches and robins love. The tits are also partial to those suet slabs laced with seeds and insects.

Use a squirrel proof feeder if you can as a recent survey showed that they eat a substantial amount of your bird food if you don't, and they predate on bird's nests. Don't buy a plastic one as the little "Rovers fans" will chew their way through them.

Also apparently squirrels do not like niger seed

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:41 am

Close the door.

Some people on this forum would really struggle living in a country where wild animals are common in areas where people live. Parts of the States it's completely normal to see deer in your garden, I can imagine the threads now.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 999 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:00 pm

I've been a regular bird feeder for 5-6 years now and it does seem to me that this is the poorest year for the variety of visitors- despite now having a wider choice of foods now.
As alluded to elsewhere, maybe natural food-sources have been more abundant this year (or maybe a few extra neighbours have also been feeding)
I put out fatballs, nyger seed, sunflower hearts & mixed seeds. This year, in the very dry period, I also put out a hanging water feeder which became popular very quickly and is now part of the items hanging in my blackthorn tree.
This year there' are regular clans of sparrows & goldfinches, a few blue tits but not much else- not even seen starlings often this year.
Previously I've seen long-tailed tits, coal tits, great tits, other finches, robins, wrens, blackbirds (these later ones feeding mainly off dropped food lower down).
It always amazes me how quickly the sparrows latch on to when food is put out- as if they have look-outs stationed about the neighbourhood.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:04 pm

[quote="steve_f"]Fat balls attract these in Ruislip

Fat balls attract these in Accrington.
Attachments
index.jpg
index.jpg (7.15 KiB) Viewed 4420 times

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:39 pm

Well, well ,well - it took a bit longer than I thought it would. :D

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:44 pm

houseboy wrote:
Well if they ever turn up in my neighbourhood at my "Bird Feeders" I ain't telling the Mrs ;)

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:46 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:Well, well ,well - it took a bit longer than I thought it would. :D
Inevitable but sadly it had to be done. Was just biding my time for the right post to reply to. To be honest I'm not sure that collectively there are that many girls who look like this in Acc but hey ho.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:47 pm

Bosscat wrote:Well if they ever turn up in my neighbourhood at my "Bird Feeders" I ain't telling the Mrs ;)
Just keep your pecker up and say nothing.

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:27 pm

conyoviejo wrote:If it gets in again Pick it up by the scruff of the neck,it can't bite you then.. Then chuck it out .
I wouldn't pick any cat up by the scruff if the neck not only because I'm an animal lover but also because they can do a lot of damage with their claws if they get upset!

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:44 pm

deanothedino wrote:Close the door.

Some people on this forum would really struggle living in a country where wild animals are common in areas where people live. Parts of the States it's completely normal to see deer in your garden, I can imagine the threads now.
:lol: :lol: in your garden... Try the bedroom Ive had one or two ol' dears in there

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3749 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:50 pm

Get a water pistol. One of those kids ones that give out a good splurge.
The cat will really hate it and, a couple of soakings it'll not come back.
Last edited by Buxtonclaret on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:52 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Sorry to ambush the bird thread, but any advice re this wretched cat would be of help.
See posts 2 and 4. :lol:

Buxtonclaret

Post by Buxtonclaret » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:43 pm

No expert, a young female Sparrowhawk?
She's been visiting for a few months now.
This time she stayed for nearly two hours after catching and part eating a starling.
DSC03720.JPG
DSC03720.JPG (515.07 KiB) Viewed 3709 times

DSC03714.JPG
DSC03714.JPG (474.84 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
These 2 users liked this post: oswyclaret spadesclaret

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:34 pm

They're brilliant pictures Buxton. It's a shame they kill other birds but that's nature. I took all the advice about the various food and feeders required for the birds but it hasn't worked, I've now removed them due to the contents rotting. I really don't know why they are not coming, it's a real mystery.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:48 pm

Buxtonclaret wrote:No expert, a young female Sparrowhawk?
She's been visiting for a few months now.
This time she stayed for nearly two hours after catching and part eating a starling.
DSC03720.JPG

DSC03714.JPG
This is a frequent visitor in our garden on our bird feeder ... we know when she is about as the Goldfinches etc disappear

These 2 users liked this post: Buxtonclaret spadesclaret

Buxtonclaret

Post by Buxtonclaret » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:57 pm

beddie wrote:They're brilliant pictures Buxton. It's a shame they kill other birds but that's nature. I took all the advice about the various food and feeders required for the birds but it hasn't worked, I've now removed them due to the contents rotting. I really don't know why they are not coming, it's a real mystery.

Maybe try some seed with aniseed in it?
Sunflower seeds are very popular.
Even seen a pair of nuthatch recently.
If you've not a cat problem scatter some on the ground?

More visitors. Not seen them before. Certainly not in my last place.
Bramblings mixed in with their chaffinch cousins. :)
Seems they come over from Sweden/Norway.
DSC03679.JPG
DSC03679.JPG (639.38 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
This user liked this post: spadesclaret

Buxtonclaret

Post by Buxtonclaret » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:00 pm

Great photo, Bosscat.
Yes. Whilst the one today chilled out for ages after taking the Starling, no other bird was seen. Not even a magpie or jackdaw.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Buxtonclaret wrote:Great photo, Bosscat.
Yes. Whilst the one today chilled out for ages after taking the Starling, no other bird was seen. Not even a magpie or jackdaw.
This was last year just outside our utility room window she is a cheeky bugger but very handsome too...

Your'e right about the lack of other birds when she is about... its a veritable desert as far as small birds are concerned. Even the Collared Doves keep a low profile.
These 2 users liked this post: spadesclaret Buxtonclaret

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:18 pm

Generally, pests in south west London - flocks of 8 to 10 are not uncommon - and the tend to chase of all sorts of other birds. On the other hand, they add a bit of colour.

Bfc

Post by Bfc » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:44 pm

Buxtonclaret, if you have a pair of binoculars, would you try and read the ring number details on its leg. If you can, then post on here and I will see if I can trace the place the bird was ringed. As suggested, it's likely to be from Scandinavia.

Buxtonclaret

Post by Buxtonclaret » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:53 pm

Bfc wrote:Buxtonclaret, if you have a pair of binoculars, would you try and read the ring number details on its leg. If you can, then post on here and I will see if I can trace the place the bird was ringed. As suggested, it's likely to be from Scandinavia.
I've no binoculars. But they do sometimes eat off the ground right outside my patio doors.
I'll try my zoom camera.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:01 pm

Want to attract Birds to your garden? try doing something that most people forget...keep their water bowl/feeder topped up.

Especially when it’s minus zero when water freezes obviously.

Most people forget about it when it’s been a relatively dry period in the winter as well.

Just like us... birds like a guzzle too :D
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Buxtonclaret

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:07 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Want to attract Birds to your garden? try doing something that most people forget...keep their water bowl/feeder topped up.

Most people forget about it when it’s been a relatively dry period in the winter as well.

1st job in the morning is clear the Ice out of the water bowl.... or top it up if its empty

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 694 times
Has Liked: 600 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:14 pm

By going off the post header alone, get rid of your old pussy, after reading the post use new nuts :lol:

Buxtonclaret

Post by Buxtonclaret » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:14 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Want to attract Birds to your garden? try doing something that most people forget...keep their water bowl/feeder topped up.

Spot on, S West.
I've three I keep clean and topped up. My woodmice often come out for a drink along with the birds. 8-)
DSC03477.JPG
DSC03477.JPG (672.95 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat spadesclaret

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:20 pm

Buxtonclaret wrote:Spot on, S West.
I've three I keep clean and topped up. My woodmice often come out for a drink along with the birds. 8-)
DSC03477.JPG
We only know ourselves because someone pointed it out to us, funny us humans missing that because food and drink go hand in hand with us people doesn’t it :)

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:30 pm

Buxtonclaret wrote:Spot on, S West.
DSC03477.JPG
We used to have a nut feeder next to the bird table that had a lot of ivy growing around it ... my wife pointed this cheeky little so and so one morning....

Often see her (or her progeny) in the flower beds so a few nuts get scattered down there.
These 2 users liked this post: Buxtonclaret spadesclaret

Buxtonclaret

Post by Buxtonclaret » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:38 am

Bosscat wrote:We used to have a nut feeder next to the bird table that had a lot of ivy growing around it ... my wife pointed this cheeky little so and so one morning....

Often see her (or her progeny) in the flower beds so a few nuts get scattered down there.

What is that?

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:44 am

Buxtonclaret wrote:What is that?
We thought he/she was a woodmouse

CJW
Been Liked: 144 times
Has Liked: 574 times