ARTICLE: Sean Dyche completes six years

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Re: ARTICLE: Sean Dyche completes six years

Post by TVC15 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:04 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Probably not, but at least Everton know they have a realistic chance of finishing 7th and qualifying for Europe every year. The frustrating thing for me is I don't see why we can't compete with the likes of Bournemouth and Watford. Watford haven't spent millions by any means, they've just used the European market well. For us to progress now Dyche has to get over his obsession of signing good, honest British lads who he knows from the Championship and venture out of his comfort zone.
Watford did not spend that much in the summer that's correct...but think they spent £70m the season before. Watford have rich backers and have still got debt of £50m and growing. Their wage bill is going on for £80m now and that excludes the players they bought in the summer. Their model is very different to us....changing managers every year and significant part of their squad for years has been made up of overseas players on loan. Yet despite all this they have regularly finished just above the relegation places. I know they are having a good season this year but they have started well lots of times before. Its fine picking one point in time when Watford are doing well to say we should be competing with them but our record on and off the pitch in the last 6 years under SD is at the very least comparable.

As for Bournemouth they have spent a lot of money and have billionaire backers. Again a very different model to us and again have they performed better than us on and off the pitch during SD`s reign ?

I'm pretty sure it was not long ago when the fans of many clubs in this league were asking why can't we be more like Burnley ?

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1171 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by burnleymik » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:22 pm

Dyche interview on his 6 years at Burnley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UamxKWAs3xA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: longsidepies

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:27 pm

TVC15 wrote:Watford did not spend that much in the summer that's correct...but think they spent £70m the season before. Watford have rich backers and have still got debt of £50m and growing. Their wage bill is going on for £80m now and that excludes the players they bought in the summer. Their model is very different to us....changing managers every year and significant part of their squad for years has been made up of overseas players on loan. Yet despite all this they have regularly finished just above the relegation places. I know they are having a good season this year but they have started well lots of times before. Its fine picking one point in time when Watford are doing well to say we should be competing with them but our record on and off the pitch in the last 6 years under SD is at the very least comparable.

As for Bournemouth they have spent a lot of money and have billionaire backers. Again a very different model to us and again have they performed better than us on and off the pitch during SD`s reign ?

I'm pretty sure it was not long ago when the fans of many clubs in this league were asking why can't we be more like Burnley ?
I'm sure Bournemouths wage bill is a lot higher than ours, but a lot of their key men haven't cost them much at all. Most of their back 4 have come through the Championship with them, Stanislas was a free transfer, Ryan Fraser they got from Ipswich I believe. Josh King and Callum Wilson didn't cost them much at all, then there is the lad Brooks who they paid 11 million for this summer which is an absolute steal. Hopefully our new technical director can help Dyche out with the transfer side of things, particularly with forward players, which has been a real weakness of his.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:36 pm

jrgbfc wrote:I'm sure Bournemouths wage bill is a lot higher than ours, but a lot of their key men haven't cost them much at all. Most of their back 4 have come through the Championship with them, Stanislas was a free transfer, Ryan Fraser they got from Ipswich I believe. Josh King and Callum Wilson didn't cost them much at all, then there is the lad Brooks who they paid 11 million for this summer which is an absolute steal. Hopefully our new technical director can help Dyche out with the transfer side of things, particularly with forward players, which has been a real weakness of his.
It`s easy to pick out their cheap players and not mention Ake (£20m) ; Ibe (£16m) and Mings (8m)....2 of them who rarely play.

As cheap as Josh King and Callum Wilson were they still cost more than Vokes and Barnes.

Begovic signed on a reported £50k a week and that was 3 years ago and also cost them £10m....twice as much as we paid for all 3 of our England keepers put together.

It`s very easy to look for the positive stories at other clubs and forget the ones at ours.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:40 pm

TVC15 wrote:It`s very easy to look for the positive stories at other clubs and forget the ones at ours.
Pope, JBG & Tarkowski signed for a combined fee of less than £6 million.

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Happy anniversary and Well done gaffer.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:31 pm

Done an amazing job up to the end of last season. This why he has credit in the bank. This season we have been abysmal and the buck stops with the manager which is why he is so handsomely rewarded. I can't help but think the long contract and the lack of pressure in this job compared to other PL clubs is such a good thing when it's gone stale and we need fresh ideas and adaptability.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:56 pm

Certainly more good than bad during Sean's reign,the first promotion with the Vings partnership is arguably his greatest achievement.

Bizarrely some fans have became disillusioned with the Premier League,the reality is we're not going to finish 7th every season,last season was an anomaly.

Yes there are issues ATM with some players not hitting the heights,but now that Nick Pope apart we have everyone available results and performances will improve i'm sure.

The 100 million pound question is who could do any better given our available resources,my major criticism of Sean is why is he so dismissive of cup competitions,look at Burton's victory tonight that could and should have been us.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1121 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:49 am

6 years of progress. I hope Sean is here another six years. Progress is being made each year. We’ve been through several tough times, but we’ve come out the other end stronger each time. Last season was an exceptional one, but one we shouldn’t measure this one by, because then you will only be disappointed, when really we're having our best period in 40 years. A lifetime.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Shipclaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Shipclaret » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:56 am

It's fine to be critical and wish we were better but it must be seen in the proper context. The progress in almost every aspect of the club is remarkable and that is driven by teamwork and leadership off the field together with resourcefulness and skill on it. I am proud of Sean and my club, try living away from NELancs and you will see how much my club and it's manager/board are admired. I have never experienced this before (40 years living away) and it's refreshing and a bit strange. I felt very low on Sunday but at London Stadium on Saturday I can watch us rise again. Thank you Sean D -the Gaffer 85 competitors would hire as first choice.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:59 am

jrgbfc wrote:I'm sure Bournemouths wage bill is a lot higher than ours, but a lot of their key men haven't cost them much at all. Most of their back 4 have come through the Championship with them, Stanislas was a free transfer, Ryan Fraser they got from Ipswich I believe. Josh King and Callum Wilson didn't cost them much at all, then there is the lad Brooks who they paid 11 million for this summer which is an absolute steal. Hopefully our new technical director can help Dyche out with the transfer side of things, particularly with forward players, which has been a real weakness of his.

As has been pointed out he has spent quite a bit on other defenders as well as around 12m on a left back this summer. Now imagine if we spent 12m on a left back and Dyche left him on the bench, wonder what your view would be on that.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:23 am

Congrats on another year...one year at a time!

By rights we should be in Division 1, so my thanks for taking us to and keeping us in the promised land and for strengthening our whole club.

Keep going!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32409 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:04 am

mdd2 wrote:I think SD is ahead of Ainsworth who did not get the job on a permanent basis until November 2012.Was caretaker before that
Not according to Wycombe Wanderers who I have checked it with

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:24 am

TVC15 wrote:Watford did not spend that much in the summer that's correct...but think they spent £70m the season before. Watford have rich backers and have still got debt of £50m and growing. Their wage bill is going on for £80m now and that excludes the players they bought in the summer. Their model is very different to us....changing managers every year and significant part of their squad for years has been made up of overseas players on loan. Yet despite all this they have regularly finished just above the relegation places. I know they are having a good season this year but they have started well lots of times before. Its fine picking one point in time when Watford are doing well to say we should be competing with them but our record on and off the pitch in the last 6 years under SD is at the very least comparable.

The only difference being is that they sign exciting attacking young players - we sign over the hill Lennon

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:26 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:The only difference being is that they sign exciting attacking young players - we sign over the hill Lennon

Do you ever stop whinging ?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32409 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:45 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Do you ever stop whinging ?
You would have hoped he'd have stayed off this thread, sadly that's not the case.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:47 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:As has been pointed out he has spent quite a bit on other defenders as well as around 12m on a left back this summer. Now imagine if we spent 12m on a left back and Dyche left him on the bench, wonder what your view would be on that.

We did on a striker and he is left on the bench after 2 starts and 1 goal and never to be seen again but keeps putting Hendrick in there and it does not work FFS.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:08 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:The only difference being is that they sign exciting attacking young players - we sign over the hill Lennon
Jermaine Defoe though.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:08 pm

IanMcL wrote:Congrats on another year...one year at a time!

By rights we should be in Division 1, so my thanks for taking us to and keeping us in the promised land and for strengthening our whole club.

Keep going!

Why should we be in division 1 ????

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:43 pm

ClaretTony wrote:You would have hoped he'd have stayed off this thread, sadly that's not the case.
And why is that ???

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:45 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Why should we be in division 1 ????
Size of town and expected income, from such.

Hence, why we eternally punch above our weight and remain a football town.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:51 pm

IanMcL wrote:Size of town and expected income, from such.

Hence, why we eternally punch above our weight and remain a football town.
A few weeks ago someone put up the info regarding how many seasons we'd spent in each division, and the vast majority were in the top two divisions.

The idea that we should be in league one (third tier) is a myth based on years spent in each of the divisions.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:07 pm

Spijed wrote:A few weeks ago someone put up the info regarding how many seasons we'd spent in each division, and the vast majority were in the top two divisions.

The idea that we should be in league one (third tier) is a myth based on years spent in each of the divisions.

exactly i bet the great old teams never said we should not be in this league.

Its called creating a team and finding players that are good enough and creating a team spirit to match - Dyche has been great and done this but it can only take you so far as our transfer buisness while in the prem as been nothing short of ****.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:19 pm

Spijed wrote:A few weeks ago someone put up the info regarding how many seasons we'd spent in each division, and the vast majority were in the top two divisions.

To be fair those figures were based on the last 100 plus years - the majority of which things like TV money and commercial income were pretty irrelevant and things like scouting systems were massively relevant.

If you look at the last 40 years where the game has changed then most of our time has been spent out of the top 2 divisions. I’m not saying we should necessarily be at division 1 level but if you put Premier League TV income aside then I doubt we would be in the top 30 clubs in terms of fan base, ground size, wealth of owners, other income generated etc.

To suggest we are not consistently punching above our weight is just wrong.

As for Boysies comments they are laughable when you see that Bournemouth gave a 34 year old a 4 year contract of £130k a week and never play him. You would think that people who post constant digs at Burnley and put other clubs up as examples of what we should be doing would know a tiny bit about what they are talking about.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:25 pm

TVC15 wrote:To be fair those figures were based on the last 100 plus years - the majority of which things like TV money and commercial income were pretty irrelevant and things like scouting systems were massively relevant.

If you look at the last 40 years where the game has changed then most of our time has been spent out of the top 2 divisions. I’m not saying we should necessarily be at division 1 level but if you put Premier League TV income aside then I doubt we would be in the top 30 clubs in terms of fan base, ground size, wealth of owners, other income generated etc.

To suggest we are not consistently punching above our weight is just wrong.

As for Boysies comments they are laughable when you see that Bournemouth gave a 34 year old a 4 year contract of £130k a week and never play him. You would think that people who post constant digs at Burnley and put other clubs up as examples of what we should be doing would know a tiny bit about what they are talking about.
And i would not give Defoe that contract but why pick up on a 34 year old.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:29 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:And i would not give Defoe that contract but why pick up on a 34 year old.
Because somebody said (can’t think who !!) that they sign young exciting attakers....maybe we should use the young exciting attacker that they bought 3 years ago for £16m and he sits on the bench most weeks - is that better ?

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:56 pm

TVC15 wrote:Because somebody said (can’t think who !!) that they sign young exciting attakers....maybe we should use the young exciting attacker that they bought 3 years ago for £16m and he sits on the bench most weeks - is that better ?
What about the young lad from Sheff United - looks like you wear blinkers as well with claret glasses on

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:24 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:What about the young lad from Sheff United - looks like you wear blinkers as well with claret glasses on
Yep they paid £11m for Brooks who has looked good in the first half a dozen games he has played.
What's your point ? That we should have bought him ?....we have a talented young winger who cost us nothing and an even more talented winger who is a full international and cost us a tenth of what Brooks cost Bournemouth and has had an outstanding full season in the league...not just a few games.

It`s not wearing blinkers to criticise the club for not complaining about not signing every good young player that other clubs have signed. But ignoring the good players we have bought at a fraction of their current value is the definition of wearing blinkers.

Do you think that McNeil and JBG at a cost of £1.5m is better value than Brooks and Ibe at a cost of £27m ?
Do you think Lennon at £50k a week is better value than Defoe on £130k a week ?
Do you think £5m for Hart, Heaton and Pope is better value than Begovic at £10m.
Or maybe Tarks at £3m better than Ake at £20m ?

Or are you just going to sit their and moan that we should have bought anyone who plays well for other the other clubs ?

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:43 pm

TVC15 wrote:Yep they paid £11m for Brooks who has looked good in the first half a dozen games he has played.
What's your point ? That we should have bought him ?....we have a talented young winger who cost us nothing and an even more talented winger who is a full international and cost us a tenth of what Brooks cost Bournemouth and has had an outstanding full season in the league...not just a few games.

It`s not wearing blinkers to criticise the club for not complaining about not signing every good young player that other clubs have signed. But ignoring the good players we have bought at a fraction of their current value is the definition of wearing blinkers.

Do you think that McNeil and JBG at a cost of £1.5m is better value than Brooks and Ibe at a cost of £27m ?
Do you think £5m for Hart, Heaton and Pope is better value than Begovic at £10m.

Or are you just going to sit their and moan that we should have bought anyone who plays well for other the other clubs ?
I'm pretty sure now all our other wide players are fit McNeil will disappear without trace, no matter how much promise he shows. And the comparison with Brooks isn't really fair. Brooks is doing the business in the Prem and playing international football whereas McNeil has had 2 half decent games against Olympiakos and United.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:49 pm

Brooks is doing the business in the Prem and playing international football

Same as JBG then who has also done it at a World Cup and cost about 10m less

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:49 pm

jrgbfc wrote:I'm pretty sure now all our other wide players are fit McNeil will disappear without trace, no matter how much promise he shows. And the comparison with Brooks isn't really fair. Brooks is doing the business in the Prem and playing international football whereas McNeil has had 2 half decent games against Olympiakos and United.
It wasn't a comparison - JBG was a comparison.
It was an explanation of why we might not have gone for Brooks given our current set of wingers.

Who do you think has the better set of wingers for the money paid out - Burnley or Bournemouth ?

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:58 pm

We might have spent less but I'd much rather have their wide players than ours. Hard to judge though when our wingers are expected to just play as second full backs.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:03 pm

Of course you would that bit is obvious, hence why about 99.9% of your posts are negative

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:12 pm

TVC15 wrote:Yep they paid £11m for Brooks who has looked good in the first half a dozen games he has played.

Like i said take off your claret glasses

How much wasted on strikers over these last few years - Juke / Sordell / Wells / Hennings / Vossen / Long and looks like Vydra now - cracking track record dont you agree.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:17 pm

Yeah he has been shite for us you absolute helmet

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:20 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Yeah he has been shite for us you absolute helmet

Did i say shite you muppet no - said could and should have been better but will have a decent squad for championship next season after the usual exodus where all your talent you mention will flourish.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:22 pm

Now we have been relegated.. you've just accused someone of wearing claret glasses, maybe you need to remove your blue n white ones

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:37 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Now we have been relegated.. you've just accused someone of wearing claret glasses, maybe you need to remove your blue n white ones
Think you have had too much sea air

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:38 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Think you have had too much sea air

You going to explain your fingers in pies comment yet ?

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:46 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:You going to explain your fingers in pies comment yet ?

Its called getting back big interest from loans.

Here check this bulllshit out :
https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/fo ... -1-9422089" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have to play without fear and not 1 upfront - so i have been seeing things with Hendrick in that role i really have .

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:50 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Like i said take off your claret glasses

How much wasted on strikers over these last few years - Juke / Sordell / Wells / Hennings / Vossen / Long and looks like Vydra now - cracking track record dont you agree.
Since you clearly struggle with maths excluding Vydra (given he’s still here and involved) the total for all those is less than £9m and that includes Wells who is still our player.
Feel free to name one other club in this league who has wasted less money on failed transfers than Burnley.

This claret tinted glasses stuff is just a bit pathetic really - try dealing with some actual facts and you might get a bit more credibility. As it is for whatever reason your default is to criticise the club then justify it afterwards but just make yourself look more stupid with every attempt.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie fidelcastro

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:56 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Its called getting back big interest from loans.

Here check this bulllshit out :
https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/fo ... -1-9422089" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have to play without fear and not 1 upfront - so i have been seeing things with Hendrick in that role i really have .

Ahhh right, well at least you have finally helped nail your position as one of the biggest whoppers on here, top marks.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:11 pm

jrgbfc wrote:We might have spent less but I'd much rather have their wide players than ours. Hard to judge though when our wingers are expected to just play as second full backs.
Were they better last season or is it just now they are above is in the league ?
Don't bother answering that...there is little point in debating with someone who has already made their mind up that we are doomed.

It is fans like you that make me hanker for the times I spent following us everywhere in the lower leagues. At least then we used to all laugh together at the likes of Phil Malley or Nick Pickering whilst looking on enviously at the Carlisle winger who they had just bought for £25k and was running rings round Peter Leebrook.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:34 pm

TVC15 wrote:Were they better last season or is it just now they are above is in the league ?
Don't bother answering that...there is little point in debating with someone who has already made their mind up that we are doomed.

It is fans like you that make me hanker for the times I spent following us everywhere in the lower leagues. At least then we used to all laugh together at the likes of Phil Malley or Nick Pickering whilst looking on enviously at the Carlisle winger who they had just bought for £25k and was running rings round Peter Leebrook.
If you're implying that I'm only watching us because we're in the Prem then you couldn't be further from the truth pal. I'd just like to occasionally see us try and play football and take the game to the opposition. Doesn't make me less of a fan than anyone else.

Turftalkers mentor
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by Turftalkers mentor » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:55 pm

Hope he is our manager for the next ten years at least. With the pressures on the clubs outside the "big aix" he and his colleagues have done and are doing a fantastic job.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:11 pm

Spijed wrote: The idea that we should be in league one (third tier) is a myth based on years spent in each of the divisions.
Not given the modern happenings in football.

Up until the 60's it was allegedly equal and very low pay for footballers. £10 in season £6 summer and the ilk.

It did not necessarily make a huge difference where you played, as a variety of clubs won the league and were famous and historic.

Once the pay ceiling was axed, the bigger towns and cities, had the best chance. Over time, we slumped to Div 4, as have many other league winners.

We rose again via decent management snd support.

However, we have been fortunate to get back to the Championship and the prem. Good teams with players playing above themselves and committed to the cause.

Had we still been in the Championship- say we lost that first play off final - we would have plummeted financially and unravelled - like Staff Utd.

Good fortune has helped us. That is why we are saving funds for the inevitable rainy day.

Tiny town with a prem football team is miraculous.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:16 pm

jrgbfc wrote:If you're implying that I'm only watching us because we're in the Prem then you couldn't be further from the truth pal. I'd just like to occasionally see us try and play football and take the game to the opposition. Doesn't make me less of a fan than anyone else.
Why would you think I am implying that ?
I’m saying that fans like you who are complaining about what many of us regard as the best period in our history make me yearn for a time without Internet forums and some of our fans being professional critics.
If you are complaining like this about our current set of players what were you like with some of the players I have referenced above who struggled to put one foot in front of t’other ?