ARTICLE: Not the best of weekends

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

ARTICLE: Not the best of weekends

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:19 pm

Article from davet

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/not-the-best-of-weekends" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 2 users liked this post: Burnleyareback2 Royboyclaret

frankinwales
Been Liked: 86 times
Has Liked: 648 times

Re: ARTICLE: Not the best of weekends

Post by frankinwales » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:33 pm

Thank you Dave and Tony.........

As a regularly watcher of the Clarets in the 4th division, I never, ever dreamed we could return to the top league.

Up the Clarets..........Thank you Sean Dyche...........

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:38 pm

When you've lost 6-0 to Hereford no-one should really complain about losing 4-0 to Chelsea.

And let's not forget that we can hold our own against the big teams from time to time, having beaten them all, except Arsenal.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:20 pm

Spijed wrote:When you've lost 6-0 to Hereford no-one should really complain about losing 4-0 to Chelsea.

And let's not forget that we can hold our own against the big teams from time to time, having beaten them all, except Arsenal.
Oh no, another 'when you've seen.....' post. So we can't move on from this then? Just because we once got slaughtered by Hereford we can't complain at being hammered in the PL?
So because we were once successfully invaded by the French we should be fine if the Spanish did the same?
If a millionaire was dragged up on a council estate he should continue eating pot noodles and jam butties?
What drivel.
This user liked this post: Dyched

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:38 pm

houseboy wrote:Oh no, another 'when you've seen.....' post. So we can't move on from this then? Just because we once got slaughtered by Hereford we can't complain at being hammered in the PL?
So because we were once successfully invaded by the French we should be fine if the Spanish did the same?
If a millionaire was dragged up on a council estate he should continue eating pot noodles and jam butties?
What drivel.
Just like to point out that the home game previous to Hereford, a 3-0 defeat against Rochdale, was a hell of a lot worse than the Hereford performance.

Not about an inability to move on, and using 4th division days is a bit daft, but the point is we have advanced so far we are in a league that is, to an extent, beyond us, and is certainly so against the top clubs.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:40 pm

houseboy wrote:Oh no, another 'when you've seen.....' post. So we can't move on from this then? Just because we once got slaughtered by Hereford we can't complain at being hammered in the PL?
What drivel.
Not really about that Houseboy - its about having some perspective.
I honestly never thought that in my lifetime I would see Burnley play in the top division. The reasons for this are all pretty logical - spending many years in the lower divisions, not having rich owners, and lots of other clubs having rich owners.....and spending much more than Burnley on players.

We know that is not just the clubs who spend the most money have the most success - but generally speaking that is the case and I never thought it would be us that was be the exception to the rule as it takes a lot of luck aswell as lots of other things to co-incide.

So whilst I hate watching us getting beat...and sometimes battered I still enjoy watching Burnley, seeing our ground full and seeing lots of the younger generation support Burnley rather than United or Liverpool which is exactly what used to happen with many of them when we were in the lower divisions. Our ground and training facilities are now better than ever and the players are the best in my lifetime (i was not there to see the early 60s sides). The fact that these players are not as good as the opposition players most week is frustrating but I would much prefer that than watching us struggle in the championship or the lower divisions like I had to for many years.

Given the fact I actually did enjoy supporting us in the lower divisions despite games like Hereford means there is little chance I am not going to enjoy it now we are in an infinitely better position in every single aspect. The reason why people quote Hereford and Orient is that they represent the extreme and the lowest points of the clubs...but all they were the worst or most precarious of positions in the vast majority of either very poor or mediocre seasons in the last 40 years where playing the likes of Chelsea, City, United twice a season seemed a million years away.

The alternative is to expect too much and very rarely be happy supporting Burnley. When we were in the bottom divisions I think that feeling would be justified as I always thought we were too big for the bottom division but the reason I still enjoyed it was that I was young and just enjoyed the trips to be honest....plus played football for years and prioritised that over going to the games when we were really bad. If we were in those lower divisions now at my stage of life now I do not think I would be going on every week.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:55 pm

It is funny how the people who weren't there when we were really bad get upset when those who were there mention those times.

If the current struggles (outside the relegation zone in the top flight) are proving a bit too much for you, they should be glad they weren't attending when we could lose at home to Rochdale with 9 men or found it hard to imagine ever beating Peterborough. Still though get upset losing to teams backed by a full countries money.
These 2 users liked this post: Burnleyareback2 k90bfc

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:59 pm

The main difference between matches against Chelsea and the likes of Hereford is that we still go to West Ham knowing we are capable of getting points on Saturday, whereas in the fourth division we knew we were scraping the barrel.

Far more hope these days!

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:04 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Just like to point out that the home game previous to Hereford, a 3-0 defeat against Rochdale, was a hell of a lot worse than the Hereford performance.

Not about an inability to move on, and using 4th division days is a bit daft, but the point is we have advanced so far we are in a league that is, to an extent, beyond us, and is certainly so against the top clubs.
I agree. We can't really expect to live with this league in terms of actually competing and last season may have been a fluke but I can't understand this harking back to the past and the dark days Tony, as I have said before, despite the current situation vis-a-vis money and finance, those days do not define us as a club, they represent a tiny fraction of the clubs history, as you know, and our place in history is NOT as a fourth division club. Going back to the past like that for us is a reverse of the one-hit-wonder living on past glories.

We move on and whatever we are at any given time is what we are and we are presently a PL club and we cannot compare these days to a penniless outfit scratting a living in the old Fourth Division. There are unfortunately some who think that anything is acceptable as long as we remember the old days of lower league football but that is not for me. I am not 'grateful' for where we are as some seem to think we should be, the club has worked hard to be where we are and it isn't a fluke or luck. I just think we should put two proverbial fingers up to those days and make sure we don't go back.

*The site would like to say that the views expressed by it's contributors are not necessarily those of the site itself. ;)

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:08 pm

If we're going to apply that logic then I'm not happy that we aren't challenging for the title like we were in the early 60s, it's not good enough!

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Good article Dave, certainly plenty of perspective, as TVC15 has said.
It was good to see you on Saturday for the brief chat and a few laughs ---remember how hopeful we were that we could get a point before the game ---wrong again! lol
Life goes on and we shall try again this week, against a Hammers team who have flattered to deceive. Onwards and upwards is always the hope and just take the disappointments as they come.

"I agree. We can't really expect to live with this league in terms of actually competing and last season may have been a fluke but I can't understand this harking back to the past and the dark days Tony, as I have said before, despite the current situation vis-a-vis money and finance, those days do not define us as a club, they represent a tiny fraction of the clubs history, as you know, and our place in history is NOT as a fourth division club. Going back to the past like that for us is a reverse of the one-hit-wonder living on past glories. ........"

Just a note on this obsevation is the fact that, in our whole existence, we have spent more seasons away from the top level of English football than we have playing in it, therefore, are we really a Championship side? Just a thought. :D

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:29 pm

Yes Bob Lord was a mixed kettle o' fish, excellent at the start, mediocre in the middle and possibly corrupt by the end. He would however be happy to see Burnley's 7th place in the PL last year and back in Europe once again. Good old Bob, they don't make 'em like him any more!

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:44 pm

Houseboy - think we need to agree to disagree.
What I will say is that people go back to the days in the lower divisions because it gives them something to compare to. Some of us have lived both so it gives us as a very easy point of reference to make comparisons and choose which times you preferred best.
It’s no different to other aspects of life - if you have had good and bad times then you only know what good means because you have experienced the bad.

And finally as a bit of a warning for the future given how high you have set your own expectations - get yourself ready for some really bad times if you think it’s bad now because every historical statistic available points to Burnley being relegated at some point in the next few years. It’s a bit like what they say about the stock market - historical performance is no guarantee of future performance....but everybody still invests in it in some form or other !!

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:53 pm

TVC15 wrote:Houseboy - think we need to agree to disagree.
What I will say is that people go back to the days in the lower divisions because it gives them something to compare to. Some of us have lived both so it gives us as a very easy point of reference to make comparisons and choose which times you preferred best.
It’s no different to other aspects of life - if you have had good and bad times then you only know what good means because you have experienced the bad.

And finally as a bit of a warning for the future given how high you have set your own expectations - get yourself ready for some really bad times if you think it’s bad now because every historical statistic available points to Burnley being relegated at some point in the next few years. It’s a bit like what they say about the stock market - historical performance is no guarantee of future performance....but everybody still invests in it in some form or other !!
That's another thing I don't really understand. If you've followed us for years and seen all the bad times then surely getting relegated back to the Championship isn't that a big deal? Don't really get the being in the Prem is the be all and end all mentality.

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:13 pm

Interesting Cleggh… was Bob Lord corrupt.
He made a few bob for himself thats for sure.
But was that so bad after all the work he did and the unpaid role of CEO?
Just asking...

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:23 pm

jrgbfc wrote:That's another thing I don't really understand. If you've followed us for years and seen all the bad times then surely getting relegated back to the Championship isn't that a big deal? Don't really get the being in the Prem is the be all and end all mentality.
It isn't that big a deal you are correct....especially as I know its coming.
That said 100% I prefer for us to be in the Premier League for as long as possible - partly because I think going down will lead to SD leaving and also I think it will be very hard to go back up (and get harder every year we do not go back up).

The reference to the bad times is purely about perspective as to how good things are now and not getting hung up about a few months of the team struggling. To struggle in one of the best leagues in the world is for me a lot better than struggling in the other leagues. Being outside the top 6 of the championship for example will feel like struggling to me in comparison to the last 6 years when we have either been in the top league or at the top of the Championship losing less than half a dozen games a season.

The downward spiral that happens to many clubs when they get relegated from the Premier League is going to be one hell of a downer for many posters on this board.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1273 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:50 pm

Reference by Dave in the article to the new Bob Lord biography just whets the appetite even more for the launch date of the book. Can't ever remember so eagerly anticipating a new publication the way I am with this one. The Mike Smith Tommy Boyle book was exceptional but I suspect even that will be surpassed by the revelations in the new book.

Must be over two years since Mike told me of his plans in collaberation with Dave to write the book and, each time I've seen him on the Turf since, have always quizzed him as to when the book will be finished. Those final six years that Dave refers to are the real fascination for me and little wonder that so much secrecy surrounds that period. Lord's instruction to his daughter that, on his death, all the documents in his house relating to that period must be destroyed is not difficult to believe.

Roll on 2019 if that's when the book will finally be completed.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:31 pm

Rodleydave wrote:Interesting Cleggh… was Bob Lord corrupt.
He made a few bob for himself thats for sure.
But was that so bad after all the work he did and the unpaid role of CEO?
Just asking...
A good question Dave, that's why I sit on the fence and say "possibly corrupt". He certainly helped put Burnley on the map and contributed to us winning the championship in 59/60 but then spoiled it all (for me) by selling Jimmy Mac far too soon.

claretgilly
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by claretgilly » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:16 pm

“It had come close to extinction, through no fault of Teasdale in 1987”

Two throwaway lines really. There is no way the club would have ceased to exist. Though whatever we came close to, it’s because we were desperately badly managed at that time and Teasdale was at the helm.

Marvins Van
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Marvins Van » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:35 pm

These are far far from the worst of times my friend 'Houseboy'...