Warburton the preferred choice as Technical Director

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Re: Warburton the preferred choice as Technical Director

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:54 pm

jojomk1 wrote:And exactly what was his record away from player management
Worked in that area at Watford for a time before becoming an academy coach and was then appointed to run Brentford's recruitment as sporting director. It was only when Uwe Rosler left that he took the manager's job. His background prior to that was in the City.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8707 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:03 pm

Anyone who Joey Barton calls 'Warbs' has to be suspect!

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1883 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:03 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Worked in that area at Watford for a time before becoming an academy coach and was then appointed to run Brentford's recruitment as sporting director. It was only when Uwe Rosler left that he took the manager's job. His background prior to that was in the City.
But apart from all that what exactly has he done!?

If it was the other way round and Hammond had worked previously with Dyche you could guarantee the same posters would be favouring Warburton!

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3339 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:43 pm

Do we actually know for sure which names are seriously in the frame, aside from this press link with "Warbs"? I mean is it public knowledge who's applied or being courted? Has this Rigg chap, for example, expressed an interest?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:49 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:But apart from all that what exactly has he done!?

If it was the other way round and Hammond had worked previously with Dyche you could guarantee the same posters would be favouring Warburton!
Only posted what he'd done previously and where he'd worked. Hammond was at Reading for about 20 years. As for having worked previously for Dyche, that's not a concern for me one way or the other, we just need to get the best man.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:50 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:Do we actually know for sure which names are seriously in the frame, aside from this press link with "Warbs"? I mean is it public knowledge who's applied or being courted? Has this Rigg chap, for example, expressed an interest?
We've had a lot of interest and we'd narrowed it down a week ago to eight - not sure what progress has been made since then.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3339 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:54 pm

ClaretTony wrote:We've had a lot of interest and we'd narrowed it down a week ago to eight - not sure what progress has been made since then.
Fair enough, but are the names being discussed here relevant to that short list do we know?

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:23 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Only posted what he'd done previously and where he'd worked. Hammond was at Reading for about 20 years. As for having worked previously for Dyche, that's not a concern for me one way or the other, we just need to get the best man.
Exactly. Getting the best man won’t be enough for some though too much enjoyment slagging everything off to do with the club.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:49 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:Fair enough, but are the names being discussed here relevant to that short list do we know?
No idea, the only ones on the list I knew about were Warburton & Rigg.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:52 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Exactly. Getting the best man won’t be enough for some though too much enjoyment slagging everything off to do with the club.
You're right and it's pathetic. I don't know what some people want. I know it's no fun seeing us lose 5-0 and 4-0 in successive weeks but we are fighting against such big clubs. Our club has improved beyond all recognition over the six years since Dyche has been here yet people go on about poor recruitment window after window. If it were that bad, we wouldn't be in the Premier League. The last window was disappointing, probably the only one that has been. I'm revelling in where we are now and how the club is improving all the time. But no matter who we appoint there will be moans.
These 4 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret Goddy BertiesBeehole k90bfc

Paddy1882
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Paddy1882 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:35 am

Another story in the times today saying we are struggling to appoint a technical director due to a number of candidates not wanting to spend time in the town. Personally find that hard to believe as if you apply for a job at Burnley, you’d expect to spend time.... in Burnley.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:42 am

They thought they could work from home and watch football on their telly. "Ooo he looks good. Ill do a Google search on him! I'll soon have a list, then I can do something else".

claretfern
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 1262 times

Post by claretfern » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:58 am

I would expect the successful candidate to be spending most of his time anywhere but Burnley ( and hopefully some of his time abroad)

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:40 am

Perhaps they are confusing us with Barnsley ? Who'd want to live that apart from Michael Parkinson and Dickie Bird ?

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:41 am

Paddy1882 wrote:Another story in the times today saying we are struggling to appoint a technical director due to a number of candidates not wanting to spend time in the town. Personally find that hard to believe as if you apply for a job at Burnley, you’d expect to spend time.... in Burnley.
Has somebody at the club upset The Times!?

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:42 am

ClaretTony wrote:You're right and it's pathetic. I don't know what some people want. I know it's no fun seeing us lose 5-0 and 4-0 in successive weeks but we are fighting against such big clubs. Our club has improved beyond all recognition over the six years since Dyche has been here yet people go on about poor recruitment window after window. If it were that bad, we wouldn't be in the Premier League. The last window was disappointing, probably the only one that has been. I'm revelling in where we are now and how the club is improving all the time. But no matter who we appoint there will be moans.
It’s because people aren’t blinded unlike some....

We can all see the problems, but the club are very slow or even unwilling to resolve them. In dyches 6 years at the club why do we not have a world wide scouting network set up, even a European one as a minimum?

Dyche has done a fantastic job at the club but his methods have for a long time now been somewhat ineffective. Our recruitment has been poor, we have chased the same targets window after window and failed to land them or ended up with a panic buy no one really wanted.

Currently we are stale and the squad is old and slow. People would like to see us target some
Exciting young players with attributes we don’t have, namely pace and being able to get past a man.

People are annoyed because we are doing the same things, targeting the same faces/type of player and not landing them. People are annoyed because the football is dire. People are annoyed at the lack of communication from the club in general, it’s as if they are happy to bank the premier league money. It’s almost as if they aren’t too bothered about us being in the league/are unwilling to compete.

People pay a lot of money to follow football and are entirely entitled to criticise should they see fit.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6448 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:48 am

Right_winger wrote:People pay a lot of money to follow football and are entirely entitled to criticise should they see fit.
I agree with a fair bit of your assessment, my fear is the last paragraph - we all know that with TV money the fans are no longer required in the Premier League. The trouble is, for a club like ours, the TV money is far from guaranteed. When those who run the club look back with hindsight there will be things they want to have done differently and I think alienating some fans will be one thing they’d want to change.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:50 am

OMG, it's not even 3:05pm yet and it's already started!

Nurse, pass me my Stella Artois.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:10 pm

Right_winger wrote:It’s because people aren’t blinded unlike some....

“Dyche has done a fantastic job at the club but his methods have for a long time now been somewhat ineffective”

Aye really ineffective - he has earned the club more than £300m in revenue ; given us the most successful period in the last 50 years ; built the best training facilities in our history ; finished 7th in the league ; given the fans 2 fantastic promotions etc etc
Yep he’s having a mare

“Our recruitment has been poor”

Tarks - £3m.....England cap
Keane - £3m.....England cap
Heaton - free....,England cap
Pope - £1.5m.....England cap
Cork - £8m.....England cap
Barnes - £0.5m
JBG - £1.5m
Gray - £6m
Defour - £8m

The profit on Keane & Gray giving us a net surplus on these players alone of several million....
As you said - poor recruitment

“Currently we are stale and the squad is old and slow”

Tarks , Gibson, Taylor, Hendrick, Brady, Pope, JBG, Wood - all a couple of years from getting their free bus passes.

“people are annoyed because we are doing the same things, targeting the same faces/type of player and not landing them. People are annoyed because the football is dire. People are annoyed at the lack of communication from the club in general, it’s as if they are happy to bank the premier league money. It’s almost as if they aren’t too bothered about us being in the league/are unwilling to compete”

Nobody is as annoyed as you though

“People pay a lot of money to follow football and are entirely entitled to criticise should they see fit”

Yes they are - even if that is to consistently talk sh-ite without any substance they are still entitled to do it....it’s just a shame the rest of us have to read it
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:57 am

Hiya TVC15 ( I’m assuming the 15 refers to your age )

Your kind of messed up the reply. We’re you a little angry? Do you not like differing opinions to your own?

So let’s take things in context.

How has Burnley and Dyche performed in 2018? Roughly give or take?

Some reasonable players in that list there granted, but nothing outstanding would you say? If that’s the best we can do with £300m then it doesn’t look so good does it. Where’s the pace and trickery?

Here’s a question for you, which club has the oldest squad in the premier league?

So I’m the most annoyed out of every Burnley fan? Really? There’s a lot more fans with opinions worse than mines currently. I’m saying what I see and I’m not a sheep like yourself. I have my own mind do you? It’s dead easy you can add me as a foe and not read my views again. No one is forcing you, however you seem to like replying to me. Maybe you fancy me who knows? I’m more
Impressed that you can actually read!

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:29 am

Right_winger wrote:Hiya TVC15

Some reasonable players in that list there granted, but nothing outstanding would you say? If that’s the best we can do with £300m then it doesn’t look so good does it. Where’s the pace and trickery?

Here’s a question for you, which club has the oldest squad in the premier league?
Hi R_W, who's given Burnley £300m to spend on players? Yes, on average £100+ million a season - but most of that get's spent every season also. We will have to wait until the accounts for 2017/18 season are published 31-March-2019 (according to the rules). That will show £80 million or thereabouts spent on wages that season - and then there's the money going into the maintenance and development of Turf Moor and Barnfield.

Adding a Technical Director to our staff is a step forward - even if it is someone who turns out to be "no good" it is progress that the club feels they can afford such a role. Of course, we all hope the appointment turns out to be a big success.

Achieving 3 successive seasons in the Premier League is progress - and we all hope to be making that number 4 in May-2019 (and I'm sure several would like it to be achieved a few weeks earlier).

Yes, calendar year 2018 has been tough. Yes, it was great that we started 2017/18 season so strongly. Did any of us think that we were suddenly a "top 6" side? or even a top 10 side? It was great that we started this season without being the pundits' favourite for relegation. That makes a nice change, but when have those guys been right in the past?

UTC

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:02 am

Right_winger wrote:Hiya TVC15 ( I’m assuming the 15 refers to your age )

Your kind of messed up the reply. We’re you a little angry? Do you not like differing opinions to your own?

So let’s take things in context.

So I’m the most annoyed out of every Burnley fan? Really? There’s a lot more fans with opinions worse than mines currently. I’m saying what I see and I’m not a sheep like yourself. I have my own mind do you? It’s dead easy you can add me as a foe and not read my views again. No one is forcing you, however you seem to like replying to me. Maybe you fancy me who knows? I’m more
Impressed that you can actually read!
Yep that’s correct - i’m 15....not the sharpest tool in the box are you ?
You do realise we don’t get all of the £300m plus to spend on players ? The point was that it’s Dyche’s “ineffectiveness” you refer to that has put the club in the best financial position in its history.
When you say “sheep” I assume you are just referring to the 99% of Burnley fans who go on the games and are very happy with the time we have under Dyche and the players we are getting to see in a Burnley shirt because of Dyche. That does not mean we are enjoying this season but we are just going through a spell that lots of clubs in this league go through - and at some point that spell will turn into relegation as that has happened to every single club our size (and plenty of clubs a lot bigger)

As for 2018 yep I enjoyed the 5 games in a row we won, stuffing Bournemouth, drawing with one of the best teams in the world and watching Burnley play in Europe. Up to this season our record in 2018 was more than fine - I know you struggle with numbers but we finished 7th....that’s quite high up.
You not enjoy those games or were you too busy shouting at our slow and old players ?

On and btw - do I fancy you ?
And you are asking whether I am 15 !
This user liked this post: levraiclaret

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:10 am

Getting back on topic, Alan Nixon has tweeted that Warburton is on the shortlist for the TD role but also in the frame for a role at the FA.

You can imagine the replies from disillusioned "Clarets".

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:54 am

I know of him but not much more then that, does anyone know if he worked with Dyche at Watford or anywhere else please as that may have a bearing on the appointment.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:07 pm

South West Claret. wrote:I know of him but not much more then that, does anyone know if he worked with Dyche at Watford or anywhere else please as that may have a bearing on the appointment.
Yes they were both at Watford together for a period. Warburton has a role at the academy and Dyche was assistant manager at the time.

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:12 pm

South West Claret. wrote:I know of him but not much more then that, does anyone know if he worked with Dyche at Watford or anywhere else please as that may have a bearing on the appointment.
If you believe what you read on social media / Twitter they are drinking partners :lol:

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:13 pm

TVC15 wrote:Yes they were both at Watford together for a period. Warburton has a role at the academy and Dyche was assistant manager at the time.
Thanks well if they worked well together I’ll hazard a guess that Warburton will be on his way up here at some point although there will be other considerations of course.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11035 times
Has Liked: 5648 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:18 pm

I've heard that Markos Warburtonas is interested, finally someone foreign for us all to get excited about

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:19 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:I've heard that Markos Warburtonas is interested, finally someone foreign for us all to get excited about
Ha! Can we still call him Warbs?

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:26 pm

IanMcL wrote:Ha! Can we still call him Warbs?
Warbarella (you have to say it in a John Motson voice!)

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18215 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:50 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:Warbarella (you have to say it in a John Motson voice!)
I remember her .... didn't she get her kit off at every available opportunity while hunting Durand Durand an intergalactic Villain

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Bosscat wrote:I remember her .... didn't she get her kit off at every available opportunity while hunting Durand Durand an intergalactic Villain
no idea but it's something I feel I should investigate lol :lol:

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:17 pm

It was her sister Barbarella!