New £50 note will feature a scientist

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
Falcon
Posts: 2734
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:40 pm
Been Liked: 763 times
Has Liked: 741 times
Location: Proudsville

New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Falcon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:51 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46063097

Public being asked to nominate candidates to the Bank of England.

- They must be dead
- They must be known in a scientific field



Alan Turing for me. Or Rosalind Franklin if they decide to go for a female for balance.
This user liked this post: JohnMac

# 2
wilks_bfc
Posts: 4793
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:33 pm
Been Liked: 1440 times
Has Liked: 729 times
Contact:

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby wilks_bfc » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:54 pm

They could put the Wheeto's Professor on it

95% of the country won't ever see one anyway

# 3
bobinho
Posts: 4081
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:48 pm
Been Liked: 1702 times
Has Liked: 2478 times
Location: Burnley

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby bobinho » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:58 pm

Asking the public?

Not learned from boaty mcboatface it seems.

If there is a trans-female black lesbian available, my money is on her/him/it.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

# 4
bobinho
Posts: 4081
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:48 pm
Been Liked: 1702 times
Has Liked: 2478 times
Location: Burnley

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby bobinho » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:59 pm

Turing a good shout...

# 5
Rick_Muller
Posts: 4395
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:53 am
Been Liked: 1905 times
Has Liked: 4722 times
Location: -90.000000, 0.000000

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Rick_Muller » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:03 pm

bobinho wrote:Turing a good shout...

I agree, just voted for him.

# 6
Damo
Posts: 3151
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:04 pm
Been Liked: 1170 times
Has Liked: 1863 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Damo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:09 pm

Stephen Hawking is the early bookies favourite
These 4 users liked this post: RingoMcCartney nil_desperandum tiger76 tim_noone

# 7
Rick_Muller
Posts: 4395
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:53 am
Been Liked: 1905 times
Has Liked: 4722 times
Location: -90.000000, 0.000000

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Rick_Muller » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Damo wrote:Stephen Hawking is the early bookies favourite

Another good shout, and likely to be selected.

# 8
Imploding Turtle
Posts: 19398
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am
Been Liked: 5285 times
Has Liked: 2450 times
Location: Burnley, Lancs

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Imploding Turtle » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:23 pm

bobinho wrote:Asking the public?

Not learned from boaty mcboatface it seems.

If there is a trans-female black lesbian available, my money is on her/him/it.



Guys. Bob wants us to know how edgy he is. Please give him some attention. Thanks.

# 9
Imploding Turtle
Posts: 19398
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am
Been Liked: 5285 times
Has Liked: 2450 times
Location: Burnley, Lancs

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Imploding Turtle » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:24 pm

I'd like Cecilia Payne to be recognised more so i'd like her on the note.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecilia_Payne-Gaposchkin

# 10
claretonthecoast1882
Posts: 1727
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Been Liked: 872 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:24 pm

You just did
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

# 11
Falcon
Posts: 2734
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:40 pm
Been Liked: 763 times
Has Liked: 741 times
Location: Proudsville

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Falcon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:26 pm

RIP Professor Weeto
These 2 users liked this post: wilks_bfc morpheus2

# 12
KeighleyClaret
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:03 pm
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby KeighleyClaret » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:31 pm

Alan Turing, the father of modern computing and dreadfully treated by society. He once said 'I propose to consider the question, 'Can machines think?'

As a fellow Manchester graduate he has to be my choice.
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller Wo Didi

# 13
Buxtonclaret
Posts: 8021
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:05 am
Been Liked: 1957 times
Has Liked: 3586 times
Location: Derbyshire

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Buxtonclaret » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Has to be Hawking.

# 14
Hipper
Posts: 2346
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:33 pm
Been Liked: 471 times
Has Liked: 341 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Hipper » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:42 pm

Falcon wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46063097

Public being asked to nominate candidates to the Bank of England.

- They must be dead
- They must be known in a scientific field



Alan Turing for me. Or Rosalind Franklin if they decide to go for a female for balance.


So we've got to kill them first?

# 15
conyoviejo
Posts: 3087
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:38 pm
Been Liked: 1236 times
Has Liked: 806 times
Location: On the high seas chasing Pirates

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby conyoviejo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:42 pm

Never had one.

# 16
karatekid
Posts: 1621
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:22 pm
Been Liked: 618 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby karatekid » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:48 pm

Sam fox or Linda lusardi as they were in the eighties.

# 17
RingoMcCartney
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:45 pm
Been Liked: 1807 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby RingoMcCartney » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Damo wrote:Stephen Hawking is the early bookies favourite


Has to be Hawking for me. Based on his achievements. Unless the noisy feminazis want a woman. Based on her gender

# 18
Falcon
Posts: 2734
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:40 pm
Been Liked: 763 times
Has Liked: 741 times
Location: Proudsville

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Falcon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:53 pm

Hipper wrote:So we've got to kill them first?



That's one way of interpreting it, for sure.

# 19
KeighleyClaret
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:03 pm
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby KeighleyClaret » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:11 pm

Hawking was a populist but most people haven't read or even understood his work. He was also a bit controversial in some of his views.

Turing was a superstar with an Einstein like mind, and a fantastic war record at Bletchley. Sadly he was prevented from making as big a contribution as his intellect warranted by the scandalous way he was prosecuted for 'gross indecency' (being gay) and had to agree to be chemically castrated. He killed himself 2 years later aged 42.

Society's loss - the least we can do is put him on the £50 note. Its worth looking him up on line.
These 4 users liked this post: chekhov Damo Wo Didi BFCmaj

# 20
CombatClaret
Posts: 2360
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:09 pm
Been Liked: 1084 times
Has Liked: 524 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby CombatClaret » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:13 pm

Hawking
In honour of all the £50s the government regularly throws into a black hole.

# 21
aggi
Posts: 4120
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:31 am
Been Liked: 1027 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby aggi » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:50 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Has to be Hawking for me. Based on his achievements. Unless the noisy feminazis want a woman. Based on her gender


Can't be Hawking, he wasn't conservative and as we all know:

By the age of 20, if you're not a socialist. You have no heart.

By the age of 40, if you're not conservative. You have no brain


What kind of scientist has no brain?
These 2 users liked this post: Wo Didi Wo Didi

# 22
Dark Cloud
Posts: 2898
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:03 am
Been Liked: 749 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Dark Cloud » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:52 pm

Mrs Beaumont who taught Science at Fearns in the 70's would be a good shout. Mmmm!

# 23
claretonthecoast1882
Posts: 1727
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Been Liked: 872 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:54 pm

Kelly LeBrock from Weird Science
These 3 users liked this post: Dark Cloud DCWat Bosscat

# 24
mkmel
Posts: 3478
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:37 pm
Been Liked: 899 times
Has Liked: 974 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby mkmel » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Alan Turing for me too and would also be recognition for the wonderful work done by all of the men and women who worked at Bletchley Park

Including my Dad who worked there and yet it was only after he had died that I was told that he was at Bletchley Park
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

# 25
Hipper
Posts: 2346
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:33 pm
Been Liked: 471 times
Has Liked: 341 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Hipper » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:02 pm

Why don't they put a picture of a 'greatest British criminal' on it as they're the ones that apparently use £50 notes the most. That would be much more fun too.

# 26
Cleveleys_claret
Posts: 2233
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:58 am
Been Liked: 583 times
Has Liked: 405 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Cleveleys_claret » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:I'd like Cecilia Payne to be recognised more so i'd like her on the note.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecilia_Payne-Gaposchkin


Although she became an american citizen? Not really very British

# 27
RingoMcCartney
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:45 pm
Been Liked: 1807 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby RingoMcCartney » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:08 pm

aggi wrote:Can't be Hawking, he wasn't conservative and as we all know:

By the age of 20, if you're not a socialist. You have no heart.

By the age of 40, if you're not conservative. You have no brain


What kind of scientist has no brain?


What kind of poster attempts to make petty political point scoring, by taking comments out of context?

One with no brain.....

# 28
aggi
Posts: 4120
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:31 am
Been Liked: 1027 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby aggi » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:32 pm

So you agree it's a meaningless phrase.

As to the topic at hand, I'd say Turing or Ada Lovelace

# 29
Bosscat
Posts: 4316
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 1341 times
Has Liked: 3521 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Bosscat » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:38 pm

aggi wrote:So you agree it's a meaningless phrase.

As to the topic at hand, I'd say Turing or Ada Lovelace

Thought you said Linda for a minute......

That would have been hard to swallow ;)
This user liked this post: Wo Didi

# 30
evensteadiereddie
Posts: 4579
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 pm
Been Liked: 1373 times
Has Liked: 4207 times
Location: Staffordshire

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby evensteadiereddie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:44 pm

Shouldn't the above post be in the "Quick gag" thread ?
This user liked this post: Bosscat

# 31
gandhisflipflop
Posts: 1927
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:05 pm
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 487 times
Location: Costa del Padihamos beach.

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby gandhisflipflop » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:47 pm

I vote for the turtle.
This user liked this post: Imploding Turtle

# 32
RingoMcCartney
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:45 pm
Been Liked: 1807 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby RingoMcCartney » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:08 pm

aggi wrote:So you agree it's a meaningless phrase.

As to the topic at hand, I'd say Turing or Ada Lovelace


Virtue signalling your credentials by your, oh so, predictable Politicaly Correct choices! :lol:

And no I dont agree it's a meaningless phrase.

"By the age of 20 if you're not a socialist, you have no heart.

By the age of 40 if you're not conservative, you have no brain"

In my experience is accurate. ( but thanks for giving me the opportunity to use it again)

Maybe Stephen Hawking is just the exception that proves the rule.

Anyway you have a great weekend in your metropolitan Remoaner bubble, where tomorrow is a home game for you!

Remember, there's a whole country out there that didn't vote how you and your friends and associates did in the referendum!

When all us knuckle dragging, xenophobic, racist, pitch fork wielding, uneducated, Brexiteers come down tomorrow, to where all the sophisticated and enlightened dwell . It may pain you, but try and remember , our side won!!!

Toodle pip

# 33
RingoMcCartney
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:45 pm
Been Liked: 1807 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby RingoMcCartney » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:09 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:I vote for the turtle.


He's already on the 9 bob note.
These 2 users liked this post: gandhisflipflop Bosscat

# 34
bfcjg
Posts: 4745
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:17 pm
Been Liked: 1741 times
Has Liked: 1768 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby bfcjg » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:53 pm

Turing my choice so far. However when we discussed it at work Patrick Moore came up. Not sure if you could describe him as a scientist but lots of people were inspired by The Sky at Night to buy telescopes look at the night sky and observe planets I know I was. Some famous people such as Brian Cox were inspired by him.

# 35
evensteadiereddie
Posts: 4579
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 pm
Been Liked: 1373 times
Has Liked: 4207 times
Location: Staffordshire

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby evensteadiereddie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:55 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Virtue signalling your credentials by your, oh so, predictable Politicaly Correct choices! :lol:

And no I dont agree it's a meaningless phrase.

"By the age of 20 if you're not a socialist, you have no heart.

By the age of 40 if you're not conservative, you have no brain"

In my experience is accurate. ( but thanks for giving me the opportunity to use it again)

Maybe Stephen Hawking is just the exception that proves the rule.

Anyway you have a great weekend in your metropolitan Remoaner bubble, where tomorrow is a home game for you!

Remember, there's a whole country out there that didn't vote how you and your friends and associates did in the referendum!

When all us knuckle dragging, xenophobic, racist, pitch fork wielding, uneducated, Brexiteers come down tomorrow, to where all the sophisticated and enlightened dwell . It may pain you, but try and remember , our side won!!!

Toodle pip


Bonkers !

# 36
evensteadiereddie
Posts: 4579
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 pm
Been Liked: 1373 times
Has Liked: 4207 times
Location: Staffordshire

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby evensteadiereddie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:57 pm

Wait, it's Friday, replace the "bonkers" with "rat-arsed on a Friday afternoon again." ;)
These 2 users liked this post: Bordeauxclaret Greenmile

# 37
RingoMcCartney
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:45 pm
Been Liked: 1807 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby RingoMcCartney » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:29 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:Wait, it's Friday, replace the "bonkers" with "rat-arsed on a Friday afternoon again." ;)


Wait! Tired, boring, predictable and gob smackingly unoriginal. Just like his posts!

Its Eddie!

How long before another thread gets deleted cos of his anger problems!? :lol:


Evensteddieeddie- the poster boy for a mid life crisis.....

# 38
randomclaret2
Posts: 3134
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:04 pm
Been Liked: 1505 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby randomclaret2 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:39 pm

Fair play to IT for suggesting Cynthia Payne
This user liked this post: Imploding Turtle

# 39
Bosscat
Posts: 4316
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 1341 times
Has Liked: 3521 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Bosscat » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:39 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:Shouldn't the above post be in the "Quick gag" thread ?

Boom Boom

# 40
aggi
Posts: 4120
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:31 am
Been Liked: 1027 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby aggi » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:04 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:Virtue signalling your credentials by your, oh so, predictable Politicaly Correct choices! :lol:

And no I dont agree it's a meaningless phrase.

"By the age of 20 if you're not a socialist, you have no heart.

By the age of 40 if you're not conservative, you have no brain"

In my experience is accurate. ( but thanks for giving me the opportunity to use it again)

Maybe Stephen Hawking is just the exception that proves the rule.

Anyway you have a great weekend in your metropolitan Remoaner bubble, where tomorrow is a home game for you!

Remember, there's a whole country out there that didn't vote how you and your friends and associates did in the referendum!

When all us knuckle dragging, xenophobic, racist, pitch fork wielding, uneducated, Brexiteers come down tomorrow, to where all the sophisticated and enlightened dwell . It may pain you, but try and remember , our side won!!!

Toodle pip


You could describe it as virtue signalling if your view of science mainly came from newspaper headlines. I'm personally favouring those who I think contributed most. Exactly which specific papers make you think Hawking deserves this. He's done a great job at popularising physics for those with a basic understanding but I'd say the other two contributed more.

Why does an exception prove the rule. In a logical world the exception would disprove the rule.

You seem to have a dim view of your fellow Brexit voters. I've never suggested they're knuckle dragging, xenophobic, racist, pitch fork wielding, uneducated, Brexiteers. Not sure why you're describing them in that way.

# 41
MACCA
Posts: 10113
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2468 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby MACCA » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:35 am

Who wants 100's of Stephen Hawkins face hidden under their mattress...

Although any change is better than none, I see more of James Watt than I do my kids...

# 42
dsr
Posts: 8039
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 pm
Been Liked: 2450 times
Has Liked: 1077 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby dsr » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:40 am

I'd go for Edward Jenner. By discovering the smallpox vaccine he essentially discovered the principle of vaccination. Which added, what, 20 years on average to our lives?

# 43
dsr
Posts: 8039
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 pm
Been Liked: 2450 times
Has Liked: 1077 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby dsr » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:41 am

MACCA wrote:Who wants 100's of Stephen Hawkins face hidden under their mattress...

Although any change is better than none, I see more of James Watt than I do my kids...

I can only afford Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny's faces hidden under my mattress. And flaming uncomfortable it is too! :cry:

# 44
Wo Didi
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:31 am
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 206 times
Location: Kaohsiung

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Wo Didi » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:59 am

KeighleyClaret wrote:Hawking was a populist but most people haven't read or even understood his work. He was also a bit controversial in some of his views.

Turing was a superstar with an Einstein like mind, and a fantastic war record at Bletchley. Sadly he was prevented from making as big a contribution as his intellect warranted by the scandalous way he was prosecuted for 'gross indecency' (being gay) and had to agree to be chemically castrated. He killed himself 2 years later aged 42.

Society's loss - the least we can do is put him on the £50 note. Its worth looking him up on line.



Absolutely spot on.

# 45
Wo Didi
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:31 am
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 206 times
Location: Kaohsiung

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Wo Didi » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:09 am

aggi wrote:Can't be Hawking, he wasn't conservative and as we all know:

By the age of 20, if you're not a socialist. You have no heart.

By the age of 40, if you're not conservative. You have no brain


What kind of scientist has no brain?



Just to clarify I liked this by mistake, tried to unlike, which I now realise you can't do and unfortunately liked again. No Offence.

# 46
Imploding Turtle
Posts: 19398
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am
Been Liked: 5285 times
Has Liked: 2450 times
Location: Burnley, Lancs

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Imploding Turtle » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:37 am

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Although she became an american citizen? Not really very British



She was born here.

# 47
Bosscat
Posts: 4316
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 1341 times
Has Liked: 3521 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Bosscat » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:21 am

Dark Cloud wrote:Mrs Beaumont who taught Science at Fearns in the 70's would be a good shout. Mmmm!

We had a Miss Dimry teaching Maths at Settle High School in the early 70's ... she always wore very short skirts.... more dropped pens/pencils in that class than any other ;)

# 48
RingoMcCartney
Posts: 6926
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:45 pm
Been Liked: 1807 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby RingoMcCartney » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:26 am

aggi wrote:You could describe it as virtue signalling if your view of science mainly came from newspaper headlines. I'm personally favouring those who I think contributed most. Exactly which specific papers make you think Hawking deserves this. He's done a great job at popularising physics for those with a basic understanding but I'd say the other two contributed more.

Why does an exception prove the rule. In a logical world the exception would disprove the rule.

You seem to have a dim view of your fellow Brexit voters. I've never suggested they're knuckle dragging, xenophobic, racist, pitch fork wielding, uneducated, Brexiteers. Not sure why you're describing them in that way.


the presence of an exception applying to a specific case establishes ("proves") that a general rule exists.

As for the description of my fellow Brexiteers. Stop the childish pretence it's how I view us. Start acknowledging it's how you and your chums in the metropolitan bubble of enlightenment and sophistication see us. A place where, given your inability to work out what ' the exception that proves the rule ' means, combined with a lack of understanding of sarcasm, kind of makes you something of an outsider!

Enjoy your, bubble dwelling, home game.

# 49
Lord Beamish
Posts: 4118
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 2788 times
Has Liked: 1824 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Lord Beamish » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:30 am

Before her not inconsiderable career in British Politics,
Margaret Hilda (nèe Roberts) Thatcher was a Chemist of some nite.
She even devised a way of blowing gas into ice cream to make it whippy and also stretch the base materials further. So before stealing kids’ milk products she was making them more economic for their manufacturers.

She’d be a fairly uncontentious nomination for the back of the £50 note.

# 50
Dike Muff
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:20 am
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Postby Dike Muff » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:45 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:the presence of an exception applying to a specific case establishes ("proves") that a general rule exists.


This is a misconception. The use of ‘prove’ in the term ‘an exception that proves the rule’ is an archaic one. It simply means to ‘test’. We still use this term when making bread. After making the dough, it is left to ‘prove’. This is a test to see if the yeast is taking action and the dough is to rise before baking. It is also sometimes used in the term ‘Proving Ground’ where devices are tested.

An exception that proves the rule is not one that confirms or establishes it, it is one that tests and goes against it.
Last edited by Dike Muff on Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “The Bee Hole End”