Luton Airport - Wheelchair

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bangers&Mash
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Luton Airport - Wheelchair

Post by Bangers&Mash » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:04 pm

This could be a cracker of a discussion for a Friday night - who's right and who's wrong here?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45765767" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally would've thought the fact that Luton Airport has provided a wheelchair and a pusher means he's being a bit picky really?

Edit - just to add it's pretty shitty that his wheelchair was left behind, but this isn't the basis of his claim
Last edited by Bangers&Mash on Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5081 times
Has Liked: 6890 times

Re: Luton Airport - Wheelchair

Post by bfcjg » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:07 pm

Agree. Did he think he was competing in the Invictus games ?

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:26 pm

The first thing that struck me is that it happened well over a year ago, yet it's only now making the news.

"I was angry that none of the staff seemed to understand the position or seemed to have any empathy for what was happening."

That doesn't really surprise me.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:31 pm

Firstly I would like to applaud him for not allowing his disability to hold him back and also for his dedication to helping others.

However I think he is being a complete and utter tool and is endemic of the various minority groups ruining our Country with their whining demands and clamour for compensation.

As stated, it's not his wheelchair being left behind that was his gripe, bad as that is. He was demanding something which according to the story, the Airport didn't have (strange as I find that) and a valid alternative wasn't up to his ego .
These 2 users liked this post: MRG bobinho

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:52 pm

His wheelchair got left behind, someone cocked up and its foreseeable that it might happen when travelling. The airport offered him an alternative and he refused it, preferring to make his life as difficult as possible for no real reason to make a point. I hope he sees sense and drops this case and if he doesn't then I hope he loses.
This user liked this post: MRG

Billyblah
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:12 pm

I completely agree with John Mac. His case against Luton Airport is based on his feeling humiliated because they were unable to provide an electric buggy. They were however able to offer him a standard wheel chair and an attendant to push it.

Instead there are a series of photographs in circulation which show him crawling through the airport and at one point he is using a luggage trolley.

Surely this self imposed humiliation would be worse than being pushed in a standard wheel chair.

As has been reflected on the above posts, he is a guy who has clearly helped push back the boundaries of people competing in sport despite disability however, basically with regard to his attempt at legal action, he is a twenty-four carrot plonker.
These 2 users liked this post: JohnMac bobinho

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:18 pm

Dragging himself round the airport on his arse can't be any less degrading than being pushed in a wheelchair can it?

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:44 pm

If he was so concerned about his independence, how did he get on the plane in the first place? Obviously he didn't ride his motorised scooter up the steps. He must have accepted being sat in a wheelchair and taken up in the service lift.

Where he is wrong is in thinking it is a humiliation to be pushed in a wheelchair. It's undesirable, but when needs must it has to be faced. He himself would rather drag himself along the floor than be pushed in a chair, even when there are no other options; he is entitled to choose that, even if he's the only one that would. But I hope the judge remembers that when assessing blame or damages - it was his own choice to drag himself on the floor. The only question Luton Airport have to answer is whether they should have provided a wheelchair powered by an engine instead of a wheelchair powered by a human.

As for being strapped in, that's easily avoided. My mother uses a wheelchair in airports because the distance to walk is a bit much, and she has rarely been asked to strap herself in and has always easily refused. It's not like there are any slopes - it's all level ground or lifts.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2005 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:51 pm

He was clearly making some kind of statement/point and in fairness he may have one as it seems disabled access to planes (and maybe airports) is sadly lagging behind other modes of transport and public places/amenities. But when people go about highlighting it it in the way he has done, then it tends to turn a lot of people off because he just appears belligerent and deliberately awkward in turning down the help/solutions offered in order to drag himself around on the floor and "prove" his point. It's a no from me!

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:33 pm

He got himself on one of the baggage trolleys...which was very selfish and disrespectful to those needing it for their luggage (i’m joking btw)

Anyway he succeeded in his mission of getting lots of publicity

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:33 pm

I can’t believe this was tonights lead story on the news.
Feel for the guy but just get in the effing chair and take a ride.

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:03 pm

A pathetic little story.

Some sympathy, not much..essentially another 'entitled' minority seeking publicity for a minor issue [he was offered a chair]..and it's an old story isn't it?

yorkyclaret
Been Liked: 246 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by yorkyclaret » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:02 am

So he thinks people using attendant wheelchairs are humiliated? Should have more thought for all the people who don't have the option.
This user liked this post: bobinho

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:36 am

Having had to use assisted boarding in the past with my ex, I can safelysay there are so many holes in this story. He has made a deal of this purely for a compo claim......
These 2 users liked this post: JohnMac piston broke

Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:31 am

Another snowflake, he stated he could not use the standard wheel chair because the back was to high causing him to sit at an angle which would cause a pressure sore, than drags his arse across the floors in Luton airport & then pushes himself around on a luggage trolley. Now I have sympathy that he has no use in his legs after a botched operation but I feel he needs to discuss his attitude with a councillor.
These 2 users liked this post: bobinho Dark Cloud

Goalposts
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Goalposts » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:14 am

total tool...and endemic of the modern youth millenials of today...its always somebody elses fault

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8733 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:12 pm

His action suggests that anyone using a standard wheelchair and getting a push, should feel humiliated.

Scooting along the floor and then a luggage trolley, seems rather a silly alternative and does not help in any way.
These 2 users liked this post: bobinho Dark Cloud

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:55 pm

Having read his backstory I'm afraid to cough ever again.

He's being nuts with this. The airport offered a solution, he would have been in his taxi in 10 minutes - no fuss.